• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Its 25 pages lol, I'm content with not having an answer

My and lots of other people answer in this thread is basically that Dark Souls does have an easy mode, it's just not a literal setting that you choose after selecting New Game.

Every enemy is a lot easier to defeat with summons, being it npcs or players.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Man, Dark Souls is a good time. One of the most atmospheric games I ever seent. It's a bummer that a lot of folks can't get to see most of it due to its difficulty, though. Dark Souls-like games, more than any other, could benefit from in-game cheat codes. Something along the line of half-damage, 2x exp, or godmode. You'd be forced to play offline, of course, as it wouldn't jive with the whole invasion thing, but optional cheat-codes would be nice for a lot of people, I feel.

Nov 18, 2017

Because a game which alienates a portion (majority? Statistically?) of gamers, has no tutorial, no hand-holding (both of which are difficult to do well) yet relies on players using YT or forums or calling other players into their game to help, which has high-level skill-gates which people who don't have the timing and reactions will never progress beyond is not GOAT.

Celebrating these attributes, the exclusiveness of it, whilst awarding such accolades... it's comes off as cliquey.

Apple_Sours

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Definitely don't think there should be an easy mode, the challenge of the games is what keeps pulling me back in

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
An easy mode would not solve the Ops issues as described. Never saw an easy mode that went "hey, here's a map and a Lotta POI's, have fun".
An in-game comment in the description advising inexperienced Hunters to choose the Cleaver would take nothing away from BB.
Y'mean the weapon thats in the box art and was featured in most marketing material?

Is the same way with the souls series and straight swords, fwiw.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because a game which alienates huge swathes of the gamers, has no tutorial, no hand-holding (both of which are difficult to do well) yet relies on players using YT or forums or calling other players into their game to help, which has high-level skill-gates which people who don't have the timing and reactions will never progress beyond is not GOAT.

Celebrating these attributes, the exclusiveness of it, whilst awarding such accolades... it's comes off as cliquey.

You just sound like you want to be in the clique tbh.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because a game which alienates a portion (majority? Statistically?) of gamers, has no tutorial, no hand-holding (both of which are difficult to do well) yet relies on players using YT or forums or calling other players into their game to help, which has high-level skill-gates which people who don't have the timing and reactions will never progress beyond is not GOAT.

A game does not have to have the broadest appeal or be suited to everyone to be the best of all time. To assert otherwise is ridiculous and there's nothing cliquey about celebrating the game.

Oct 26, 2017

I didn't realize being a great game had to have so many prerequisites.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
Because a game which alienates huge swathes of the gamers, has no tutorial, no hand-holding (both of which are difficult to do well) yet relies on players using YT or forums or calling other players into their game to help, which has high-level skill-gates which people who don't have the timing and reactions will never progress beyond is not GOAT.

No clique. The series has sold over nine million copies by now. Threads like these are a fart in the wind compared to the praise the games get, praise at least in part due to the very design choices at odds with plain easy modes.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly think that a lot of people moving away from this series and complaining about being forced to "die over and over in the same place wasting hours of progress" aren't even genuinely trying, just letting the reputation of these games intimidate them.
The "extreme difficulty" of the Dark Souls series (and of the first chapter in particular) has to be one of the most overstated myths in modern gaming.

Once you get over that "eerie sense of danger" and familiarize with the mechanics a bit better, you typically realize that there are very few moments where you are actually struggling to stay alive. It's a game that "barks louder than it bites".
It really isn't a game that requires quick reflexes (as it may be Nioh, for instance) or some elaborate metagame strategies. Just a firm grasp of some basics.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Gotta be in the exclusive clique of true gamers to fully grasp what games can even be considered for a real GOAT.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

It alienates nobody except those who aren't up for the challenge. Every game in the series has at least a barebones tutorial--a list of notes to explain controls--and DS2 at least had a legit tutorial area. How is "no hand-holding" a bad thing again? Tons of games have been criticized for that exact feature. The game does not rely on players using those resources, you can beat each of the games without looking up anything, it just might take you much longer. High level skill gates? You mean like literally every game does in some fashion? The Souls games require more mechanical skill than the average ARPG, but it's not some insurmountable skill test every boss--often the bosses vary in difficulty, and you have every means to farm Souls/Echoes to brute force them down a bit. I don't know many people who would call any of the Souls game the GOAT, but they certainly are incredibly good games.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I've never encountered a scenario in a souls game where I had to grind 50 soul levels for one boss, what case is this you're talking about?

I was referring to the other posters claim that anybody could beat any Souls boss/area by grinding a bit.
IMO a player who can't beat a certain boss because he doesn't have the reaction skills/can't get the timing right, would need to grind ca. 50 levels to become overpowered enough to beat that boss despite his issues.

I personally also never had to grind that long, the actual button pressing and timing in Souls titles was never an issue for me.
But I used to be in Counter Strike clans and hit FIFA Seasons Division 1 regularly back in the days.

That doesn't mean that anybody who isn't as skilled, should have to grind for hours to have a shot at Vicar Amelia (for example).
Lots of people here confuse "beating a game" with "enjoying a game". I'm in the "let everbody enjoy the game" boat.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean that anybody who isn't as skilled, should have to grind for hours to have a shot at Vicar Amelia (for example).
Lots of people here confuse "beating a game" with "enjoying a game". I'm in the "let everbody enjoy the game" boat.

Why though? We don't expect everyone to enjoy every movie or piece of music, so why should everyone be able to enjoy every game? What's wrong with the existence of things that just weren't designed to appeal to you?

PritheeBeCareful

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have to disagree with the OP. Not everything is for everyone. If you're into what the Souls series is about, you'll find a rewarding experience; if you're not, you probably won't. That's fine - it happens with movies, books and pretty much every other human venture. If you don't like something, move along and be assured in the knowledge that you at least gave it a decent shake.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

There are plenty of people who have gone in blind and done just fine in Souls games, though. I did back in the day, as well, only using the wikis on subsequent playthroughs. It's not about being an exclusive club; it's about not splitting the playerbase and not changing the focus of the tight design to accommodate two diametrically opposed kinds of play. Take something like Blighttown in DS1, for instance. How do you redesign that level so that it can be completed by both careful, challenge-seeking players and casual players who just want to tour the scenery? You'd have to take out the toxic-dart guys, the dogs that knock you off platforms, the mosquitoes, the poison swamp, the NPC invasion near the bonfire... that's not Blighttown anymore.

DS1 is my favorite in the series in terms of progression design because of the ways it does hold your hand in subtle ways as the challenge ramps up. Going through the easiest beginner route of the game:

First boss: Fight a big, slow monster with easy telegraphed attacks.
Second boss: Fight a big, less slow monster with less telegraphed attacks.
Third boss: Fight a faster monster and a second, weaker one who shows up half-way through.
Fourth boss: Fight the fastest monster yet who has two weaker monsters to kill first.
Fifth boss: Fight a big, slow monster with big AoE attacks.
Sixth boss: Fight a faster monster with big AoE attacks and long-range melee.

etc. etc. until near the end of the game when you're capably fighting multiple enemies and super-fast bosses with huge and frequent AoE attacks and low telegraphing. That's satisfying. You can feel the progress because the game has taught you each of the attack and enemy types along the way, with a few weak exceptions like Bed of Chaos who everyone hates. I feel like later games like DS3 and Bloodborne are weaker in this regard, with big difficulty spikes and other oddly easy sections and pulling out shit you haven't seen before that you won't even have a chance to understand the first time you fight a boss.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Summoning is basically easy mode in these games anyway.

I actually think it would be a bit hilarious if FROM trolled people by putting an actual easy mode difficulty but made it basically a spectator mode with no enemies and you can only enjoy the level design and world without any of the weapons/equipment/bosses/enemies, etc.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1Ee8poc.jpg

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Gravy Boat

People can watch watch any movie and listen to every song, they decide later whether they had enjoyed it.
From puts up a huge skill barrier, before people can even experience their content.

I never said I want to have an Easy Mode like in the CoD campaigns.
In my post above, I outlined a few changes that could "fix" most of the issues people have with Souls games:

- player dies 50 times at a certain boss, gets to face him at 50% health but won't unlock the trophy
- player uses "Easy Boss Mode" more than once in one playthrough, no trophies for the remainder of the game
- player spends more than 5 hours within a certain lamp/bondfire radius, player gets to use a power up that doubles his damage for 1 hour
- player uses "special power up" more than once, no trophies
- those who don't want/need any help, can simply click "NO" when the choice pops up.

Would those specific changes take anything away from you experience?

Oct 31, 2017
I actually think it would be a bit hilarious if FROM trolled people by putting an actual easy mode difficulty but made it basically a spectator mode with no enemies and you can only enjoy the level design and world without any of the weapons/equipment/bosses/enemies, etc.
Even better: make an easy mode that plays exactly like normal mode and watch people convince themselves that "now it's much more manageable".

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Summoning is exactly this. It lets you tackle the game with more people while not changing many aspects of the games mechanics themselves.

Also I strongly disagree with your point on maps. Taking that away from the player is a key part of why the world building in this game is so good. You aren't looking at way points, you're looking into the horizon and seeing where you can go next. Levels are also intelligently designed to guide you down certain paths with visual cues.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I don't really see how an easy mode would work? If you could absorb several enemy blows and be fine, and if you could kill most enemies in one or two hits, the game would have absolutely nothing interesting about it. The hit boxes/dodging/tactical choices are what makes it fun and all of that would be worthless if the enemies were easy.

The map thing is the same really, it's a bit less crucial but finding your way around is still a major part of the game. You're supposed to be alone in this scary atmosphere finding your way around. Knowing where to go constantly would make it a different game entirely.

I think these games just aren't for you, OP. There's nothing wrong with that. I adored Demon's Souls and consider it a 10/10 game but I haven't finished any of the others despite playing a bit of all of them. I can appreciate they are masterpieces of design but playing through the entire series sounds depressing and soul crushing to me. Some things are ok to just appreciate from a distance.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Why though? We don't expect everyone to enjoy every movie or piece of music, so why should everyone be able to enjoy every game? What's wrong with the existence of things that just weren't designed to appeal to you?
This is a bullshit example. Games are not a comparable experience to films or music in that way. One is an interactive medium, the others are not.

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Summoning is basically just easy mode. And if you summon someone that is good at the game you don't really need to participate in fighting

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I agree - there should be an "easy mode" or "story mode". Why not? I don't care, I would not touch it.

But I definitely won't agree there should be a map. Nope. Just nope. If there was a map option I would constantly have this feeling that "Oh man, you know you could check the map, huh? Just go to options and tick that box to activate it...". That would totally break the immersion and exploration for me.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bullshit example. Games are not a comparable experience to films or music in that way. One is an interactive medium, the others are not.

Okay, what about an interactive example like tabletop games? I can't stand Magic: The Gathering because I suck at building decks. Should Wizards of the Coast design the games around a list of optimal decks and release the list of cards I need for each deck before every new batch of cards is released? Or should I just find another game to play and let people have their fun playing and discovering MtG the way they always have?

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Don't see the necessity of wasting resources on it. Not every game is meant to appeal to everyone.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Souls games already have an easy mode: it's called 'press circle to invincible', or in unrefined company, 'rolling'.

They nerfed it in Dark Souls 2 and the community revolted.

Summoning is exactly this. It lets you tackle the game with more people while not changing many aspects of the games mechanics themselves.

I imagine many of the people in genuine search of an easy mode would feel vaguely patronised having a CMW Falchion Giantdad or whatever destroy the boss for them.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with an easy mode as long as it doesn't conflict with the developer vision. To the series Dark Souls, the difficulty of certain areas or enemies is core to the management of the player progression. In DS1 the player is meant to die repeatedly to the skeletons in the area next to the start bombfire because you aren't meant to go that way yet.

The reason the DS games seem difficult is that it's been a long time since someone used player conditioning in such a way. An easy mode could work in a DS game, but I don't think they will ever implement one. Part of the attraction of the Souls series is that this is the difficulty, you just have to deal with it.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I'm fine with an easy mode as long as it doesn't conflict with the developer vision. To the series Dark Souls, the difficulty of certain areas or enemies is core to the management of the player progression. In DS1 the player is meant to die repeatedly to the skeletons in the area next to the start bombfire because you aren't meant to go that way yet.

The reason the DS games seem difficult is that it's been a long time since someone used player conditioning in such a way. An easy mode could work in a DS game, but I don't think they will ever implement one. Part of the attraction of the Souls series is that this is the difficulty, you just have to deal with it.

Those things are at odds with each other.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Should they add optional melee weapons to Fifa so I can enjoy it or should I just buy a different game?

I feel like this type of attitude is why people get so frustrated with people acting like the Souls games are some sort of elitist club that only the best can join.

Wanting an easy mode where enemies deal less damage/some enemy placements are swapped around, or say there's a bannister around Anor Londo's rooftop section, is nowhere near the equivalent of adding guns to FIFA.

People don't want the entire rules of the game to change. If I wanted easy mode on FIFA, I'd expect something along the line of less intelligent AI opponents.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Gravy Boat

People can watch watch any movie and listen to every song, they decide later whether they had enjoyed it.
From puts up a huge skill barrier, before people can even experience their content.

I never said I want to have an Easy Mode like in the CoD campaigns.
In my post above, I outlined a few changes that could "fix" most of the issues people have with Souls games:

Would those specific changes take anything away from you experience?

YES.

There is a reason the Souls community is one of the most awesome and helpful communities out there. People are more helpful if they understand each others struggle. Part of the Souls experience is to look up lore online and asking for help.

I stepped into Bloodborne as a complete Souls n00b and I also struggled at the beginning. Overcoming that struggle and owning that game (went until NG++++ and now I kill Gascoigne within 60 seconds) with help of the communtiy makes Bloodborne the best game I ever played.

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if you realize that this argument works against you more than in your favor.
Precisely because "gaming is an interactive medium" the assumption that you "should be able to reach the end of any game without any active effort", as suggested by some just because you can with movies or songs, doesn't make any sense.

A game is by definition something where you set rules and then put effort in overcoming adverse odds to achieve a certain goal.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry, but this is a 'bullshit' rebuttal. I don't follow your logic at all. How does it follow that a medium's level of interactivity means it must be playable/enjoyed by all...?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't mind a easy mode in that sense that powers up the player character by alot but in turn disables the coop/summoning/invasion system for that character for people that find Souls games too hard as they are.

That said if you happen to play Dark Souls on PC I wouldn't mind helping you out a bit in coop here and there without "playing the game for you" and you just running after me :)

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR
Perhaps you should read Theory of Fun and Game Design - Ralph Koster
I dont have the exactly mention/page/chapter about difficulty and how we deal with them
But if your curiosity about it is bigger than mine, here's a font :)

IMO most of these games are how they should to be(or how they producers wanted). Games without difficulty selection seems cooler cuz challenge us to survive as the facts really are

Oct 25, 2017
No they should not. The purpose of game would be ruined. The combat is the game. Being able to faceroll enemies and even bosses was old would trivialize the entire experience. The day they put a sightseeing modes in their games is when they lose my business.

Those games serve a niche and they serve them very well. Most games are piss easy these days. We laugh about companies taking about a sense of accomplishment, but From's games are one some of few that actually do make you feel that way without relying grinding or lucky drops.

I'd rather people that can't handle the game or don't want to work on improving to just stay away. I have also seen the argument these games should have easy modes in order to be accessible to someone with a disability. I still disagree. An easy mode for ANY reason ruins the spirit of the games. This isn't meant to be rude or insensitive although I'm sure some will take offense and that's OK, but if you just want to see the pretty locations then watch a walkthrough on YouTube.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I think looking at Monster Hunter is an interesting parallel. Monster Hunter is another action game that emphasises animation-priority and overcoming challenges. It had steep difficulty curves, which players were told to just put up with, or 'summon' some friends to make it easier. Hunters would spend a lot of time reading wikis and guides containing information that the game obscured. As the series progressed however, the devs added more tutorials, revealed more information about underlying mechanics, smoothed out the difficulty curve immensely, and even give players the option of permanent AI partners without any hassle or penalties. Pretty much all of these changes in the past decade were met with resistance and people pulling up their nose, saying that it would ruin the games, but this generally stops being an issue once the games come out. The latest game seems to go even further by baking a wiki in-game, streamlines the tracking and gathering immensely, and makes enemies able to aggro and hit each other, and the reaction is once again following this pattern. Lots of concern, but demos already squashed a bunch of those concerns, and the game's release is bound to continue the trend.

You can argue they are different genres of games, and thus incomparable, and that's true. What is comparable though is the fear that making games more friendly to the inexperienced and less talented will ruin everything.

This thread provided plenty of reasons. Don't come into the thread without reading it and then declare that "there's no no reason for __" please.
I have read the thread and similar threads on the old boards, and I'd still say that I still have not seen a compelling reason why there cannot be an easier mode. Arguments against it usually boil down to misguided notions that there's one universal skill level and Souls games ride the sweet spot where everyone can eventually overcome its challenges. This is evidently not true, as your level of experience with action games in general and your natural dexterity will greatly alter how you interact with a game, but also because the subject of an easy mode for these games keep coming up. If you happen to exist in the sweet spot these games target, that's nice for you, but you being unaffected is not really an argument against something not being an issue for others. I'd even say the From games' lack of options create a similar issue for players who think the game is too easy, several of which can be found within this very thread. For them the feature of a harder mode is there, but they are subjected to a sub-standard experience first because the harder difficulties are arbitrarily gated off until you've beaten the game. I'd even say they are robbed of their true intended experience at their difficulty sweet spot, because almost everything will have been spoiled by the time they reach this harder difficulty. If it was just the lack of easy mode, I'd say the developer was being exclusionary, which is their prerogative, but given that the harder difficulties are integrated oddly too, the developer is probably just short-sighted.

Regardless of where From came from, I think exclusion and denial are the main factors that echo that loudest in these types of threads. There's some other types of unhelpful comments like 'start over entirely and pick another class, which may or may not address your issue', 'you're not reading enough wikis and strategy guides, watching youtube videos, and participating in megathreads', 'the e z mode is idling for ages in the hope someone comes to help you, and not to make your life harder', 'don't be lazy', or the ever classic 'it's not hard to me'. I kind of wish video games were big enough to warrant proper studies, because I'm curious to see which demographics are proportionately affected the most by this 'not every game should be playable to everyone' mentality in response to difficulty.

However, were they to create a cheat mode (infinite health/stamina) and make it paid DLC or something I'd totally buy it just for screwing around. Even if it was locked to post-game.
Cheats are far from the most elegant or best solution around the "too hard" issue, but they are undoubtedly the easiest method. Pretty much every action game out there has cheats baked in already for debug purposes. It would take a negligible amount of effort to make those suitable for consumers. I'm not sure how I'd feel about adding a paywall to them though.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I really don't think Dark Souls requires an easy mode to enjoy- it just needs the right mindset, patience, and the ability to learn from mistakes.

Watch Kay Plays on Youtube for her amazing novice Dark Souls playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww&list=PLFPEDTXyQKoNbqs8NEkKbObhIGrVmRhxT

Ha, wow. Watching the initial episode right now really does feel like it drives home what I said about them needing to do a better job of guiding players toward effective PvE strategies at character creation.

Her assumptions based on the information given are very reasonable and also entirely incorrect, and that's a fault explicitly of the designer.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Don't take this literally, but the beginning of Bloodborne is meant to seperate the men from the boys. If you give up, then the rest of the game isn't for you either. I think it's awesome what FROM did, in a landscape with games that all hold your hand like you're a toddler or something. Your mind is your map. The game is designed to walk through an area a lot and repeatedly. It's awesome when you know the layout of an area without the help of any map and owning the whole place.

I'm loving AC Origins right now, but does the game really have to tell me to call Senu when my objective is nearby, EVERY GODDAMN TIME?
*cringe* Can you not like... use this kind of hokey gendered metaphor please. :P While I know you didn't mean it that way, plenty of women love Souls games, ya know?

That said, I hear you on the AC Origins comparison. I enjoy the game a lot, but the hand-holding is ridiculous. I'm playing on Hard with level-scaling enemies, so combat isn't always trivial, but I still feel like the game thinks I'm brain-dead for the rest. Can't even adjust the HUD or turn that shit off either. Grr.

People are saying that the game isn't for you if you tried and it found it too hard - whats wrong with having the option to make the game for them as well?
Its 25 pages lol, I'm content with not having an answer
Don't do this kind of vapid drive-by post then. If you aren't interested in discussion, don't post in the thread.

I have read the thread and similar threads on the old boards, and I'd still say that I still have not seen a compelling reason why there cannot be an easier mode. Arguments against it usually boil down to misguided notions that there's one universal skill level and Souls games ride the sweet spot where everyone can eventually overcome its challenges. [snip]
Well, now I know you haven't read the thread (or not well) because I am not finding my own arguments in your response, nor the arguments brought forth by many others. :shrug: