• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
when a child can't play Mario Kart 8 without the accessibility options, we should tell them it's not for them

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
drake sword

also look at a wiki online. everyone uses a wiki if they get lost. or look up where to go next on youtube. there's no shame in it, this is the era we live in.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't think that would change the fact that people who are to lazy to learn boss patterns etc still would complain about actually having to learn, adapt, and pay attention to the game.
Yeah, but a lot of people are still unsure about trying out these games and free demos would give potential new Souls lovers the chance to finally give them a spin.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No one asks for an easy mode version of Finnegans Wake.

....really?
finnegamn1.jpg

i mean, i get what you're trying to say, but cmon.

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
I couldn't get into the series because I'm pretty bad at games, like terrible.
An easy mode won't fix that. Neither will getting your friend or strangers to beat the game for you. "Git gud" might sound dismissive, but at least there's faith in that statement that one actually can do better — unlike the defeatist position requiring the developers to alter the game around your ineptitude. There are seven years worth of resources available on Dark Souls 1; just a cursory glance at them would've revealed a way to get past the Hellkite Dragon and taught you to look for alternate routes when faced with (seemingly) impossible-to-overcome obstacles, already making you a better player.

BlondeTuna

Oct 27, 2017
Eastvale, CA
I'm cool with an easy mode, as long as it is entirely separate and doesn't impact how it normally plays.

Honestly an easy mode would probably just be reducing damage to the player and increasing damage to the game's enemies.

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
I wouldn't like an easy mode but i'd gladly take a "no bullshit" mode. Dark souls is full of it.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
And what is wrong with that? There are people with disabilities. There are people who can't navigate well in 3D spaces. People get old. I already had problems like when playing Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. Had a surgery in my arm and played that instead of Devil May Cry 3 because at least I could play one turn-based RPG.

But that was a long time ago. And personally, I'd rather more people with problems have the option to still enjoy their hobby than know that the hardcore Gamers can play something the way the developers wanted and being vocal about that. But maybe I'm being selfish because of my own experience.
Its not about whether or not people with disabilities exist or not, its that more often than not theyre disingenuous arguments people hide behind because theyre own is weak. more often than not. The unfortunate reality of having a disability is that sometimes there will be things youre just not able to do and thats something youll have to come to terms with. While I am not disabled, my older brother is, he has MS and can barely walk straight or see anything more than 3-4 feet away, or hold things steady. There's a lot hes not able to do and while it sucks that's life. Im not going to demand that all things should exist to cater to his special condition, he's just going to have to find other things that he can do.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Entitlement alert.

Do you watch a movie to say "Fuck the director's vision, I want this movie to be a romance" and expect him to cater to you? Nah. The movie is what it is and nothing changes it.

A developer isn't forced to cater to your vision, and you aren't forced to buy their game. Accept that not every game is for you. And move on.

Because it's not the dev's vision. Simple as that homie.

The movie comparison is a false equivalency. You can watch a movie and dislike it's execution, but nothing will actually prevent you from watching it. You cannot do this with these games. Nobody is here questioning the narrative or world design, My post got a bit lost in a previous page, but it sums up what I'm talking about:

My wife recently saw me playing Bloodborne, and never have I seen her so enthralled in a game's setting. Had she the skills, patience, joystick dexterity, etc, she might spend more time in that world than I could possibly imagine, but for now she's left just watching (and considering I'm likely not going to return to the game, even that option is ruled out).

I understand that the game is supposed to be hard, cruel, etc as per design. It accomplishes that amazingly well, but why can't there be an "easy mode" for those that just want to appreciate everything about the game and it's world except the challenge. There's so much morbid and grotesque beauty across the franchise - enemy designs, architecture, sound design, the whole lot. It's just a shame that these worlds, worlds whose respective aesthetic are virtually unchallenged, are deemed only suitable for the most dedicated of gamers to enjoy.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
The games are popular for their difficulty. And making an easy mode would ruin that. What's worse of all is the games are not even that difficult. If you struggle it's because you refuse to even try to learn.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
And what is wrong with that? There are people with disabilities. There are people who can't navigate well in 3D spaces. People get old. I already had problems like when playing Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2. Had a surgery in my arm and played that instead of Devil May Cry 3 because at least I could play one turn-based RPG.

But that was a long time ago. And personally, I'd rather more people with problems have the option to still enjoy their hobby than know that the hardcore Gamers can play something the way the developers wanted and being vocal about that. But maybe I'm being selfish because of my own experience.

Unless easy mode in Dark Souls means turn based mode, i don't think it would help this case at all.

I can't see how easy mode can happen disabled players in any case tbh.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't think that would change the fact that people who are to lazy to learn boss patterns etc still would complain about actually having to learn, adapt, and pay attention to the game.

There are people who are not "lazy" and have other reasons for not being able to play a game

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Actually, considering the souls games literally let you stop playing anytime (except mid boss battle), I'd say they're some of the best at appreciating a life outside gaming
Yeah save any where any time makes game very easy compared to other games where you have to spend 1 hour fighting enemies just to get to a 'safe room'.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is something I posted back at the old place on a thread where someone wanted an option to skip bosses on every game. I think it still applies here:

Let's say a new horror movie comes out. The movie quickly becomes known through word of mouth for being the goriest movie ever. Like, "people actually throwing up at the theater" gory. It's also a really good movie, of course. Nobody would give a shit about it if it wasn't. Cheap gory movies are dime a dozen. But so are good horror movies. It's the combination of being a really good movie + the gore that makes this movie special. Also, the themes and story wouldn't work without the violence. Some key scenes are really fucking hard to watch.

So you pick up the movie and skip through all the gory parts. By the end you're left with a mediocre movie that's missing some key scenes. You don't understand what all the fuzz was about. You're disappointed.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
A big chunk of the appeal to me in souls games is the inescapable sense of low pressure there is only move forward or stop playing and because of that I feel like I'm being challenged. In addition I never felt the challenge was unreasonable it's tuned in a way where I feel like as long as one is willing to learn one can slowly make satisfying progress. I feel bad to be against this but I feel like there is a ton of choice for gamers that enjoy non challenging experiences while I feel like there would be few left that feel like souls games. The alternative is probably me skipping on the game.

If I think back a similar experience of how easy modes aren't bad and wouldn't change the experience and me not feeling that to be true at all is WoW.
It started in BC and once WotLK hit the whole different difficulties of dungeons were the norm the whole world felt less interesting to me, it's very subjective though.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with an easy mode, as long as it is entirely separate and doesn't impact how it normally plays.

Honestly an easy mode would probably just be reducing damage to the player and increasing damage to the game's enemies.
That's probably how it would be, but some people don't like having options, I don't want to have an option of an easy way out of something

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but a lot of people are still unsure about trying out these games and free demos would give potential new Souls lovers the chance to finally give them a spin.
Absolutely! I'm not against the idea of a demo for people not sure if they'd like the games or not, I just don't think that threads like these will disappear if it happens.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
User banned (3 days): dismissive, insulting drive-by + ignoring previous warning about the exact same thing
There is no argument against this that isn't boiled down to "But my e-penis" soo yes, they should.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not about whether or not people with disabilities exist or not, its that more often than not theyre disingenuous arguments people hide behind because theyre own is weak. more often than not. The unfortunate reality of having a disability is that sometimes there will be things youre just not able to do and thats something youll have to come to terms with. While I am not disabled, my older brother is, he has MS and can barely walk straight or see anything more than 3-4 feet away, or hold things steady. There's a lot hes not able to do and while it sucks that's life. Im not going to demand that all things should exist to cater to his special condition, he's just going to have to find other things that he can do.
Well, that's a problem. As long as it doesn't hurt others, I don't think that there is anything wrong with offering more accessibility options for everyone. Look, I'm not advocating for an entire redesign of the game, which is why I defend the idea of putting a console or a few sliders instead.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Movies don't require you to pass tests in order for you to continue consuming them.
There are movies though that require you to be familiar with certain things for you to even begin appreciating them.
Like for example Battleship Potemkin, it's probably going to be a very strange experience watching for a lot of people that can't put it into the right context of where movies were at that time as well as the narrative background it is based on.

Basically my point here I don't think there exist and obligation to create only things that can be appreciated without any effort of the consumer. I think there is strong value in making all kinds of different things even things that challenge a consumer to become a little more active and read up/learn things etc.

Last edited:

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not part of the "git good" crowd. I mean, it makes sense in certain contexts, but not this one. That said, I vehemently disagree with this. It's exclusive difficulty is what makes it what it is. Torturing yourself to get better and better to be able to play these games is part of the experience. I must have spent YEARS playing Dark Souls. It was punishing. But I finally did it. I finally finished it. Now playing Souls games is still a rewarding experience, that I'm able to play with. But Dark Souls also did a lot more for me than simply torturing myself with it

-it made me less ragey a gamer
-more patient with games
-opened up new perspective for other genres of games.

I think for some, they just need to admit that it's not the game for them. "But LZ! You can had many difficulties!" But then it wouldn't have the allure that it does. That wouldn't be fair to the franchise, nor the creators for the specific kind of game they want it to be.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something I posted back at the old place on a thread where someone wanted an option to skip bosses on every game. I think it still applies here:
Okay, now let's flip that around.

Someone watches the movie with the gory scenes cut out. They're able to appreciate the cinematography, the acting, the directing in the non-gory scenes. Some of the context is missing, and they are aware of that, but they are still able to appreciate what they were able to see.

Reminds me of Saturday Night Fever. The film was originally released as a rated-R film, full of attempted rape, nudity, cursing, and homophobic/racist slurs. They later released an edited PG version so that more people would be able to experience the John Travolta dancing scenes.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
That's up for the developers to decide. If they don't want to add it it's fine, they might want you to experience the game like they think it's meant to be played with the balance they consider it's most appropriate overall. It's also extra work, no matter how small it may be. You can also make the decision of not buying their game.

Personally I'm fine without one.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because some people like the lore, the music, the art direction. And let's not kid ourselves: when someone wants to cheat, they usually do (even online).

And maybe they would be horrible "walking simulators", sure, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option. The games are very popular and a lot of people like to talk about the lore. Plus, it's fun to wreck the games with broken status. Or to test different builds. Or to just play around the world.

There are so many games out there that do lore, music and art direction better than the souls games. They also happen to be a lot easier to play as well. If that's what you look for in a game then it's not like you're starved for options.

You can already break the game with certain builds. It's not that difficult to put builds together that become so OP that they trivialise the game. You can also test different builds and play around with things by going back to the starting area after you've levelled up a couple of times.

So I guess that brings me to another point, these games already have "easy mode" in them, it's just up to the player to figure it out and manipulate the systems in their favour.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I think an easy mode could be a simple tweak of mechanics in some cases. I.e. in Bloodborne have blood vials automatically refill after you die instead of having to farm for them/start with a larger estus flask. Lower leveling requirements/weapon costs. Lock specific endings or areas to higher difficulty levels. There are plenty of ways to do it without really diluting what makes Souls games what they are in my opinion.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it should have an easy mode, but I do believe it could be done and wouldn't ruin the games.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does rating have to do with telling someone a game isn't for them because they seem not be able to "git gud".

I didn't need to use Mario Kart to make the same point. Thankfully people in the thread are actually giving pointers and suggestions for improvement so one could enjoy and experience the game.

Alright then I'll use Rainbow Six siege(a game with a high skill ceiling, rated M for mature like that means something), newer players even in the casual modes struggle(especially due to matchmaking in casual pairing people indiscriminately in terms of skill). I could tell those players to go to COD or some other game just because they can't figure things out to perform better....or you know....instead of being condescending and dismissive I could try and help them out.

This doesn't need to be some elitists hardcore-only club and the amount of game communities that are like this for one reason or another is crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think people would still have the same issues if they added an easy mode. You have a fuckton of invincibility frames on your rolls, the main combat mechanics are simple as hell, no complicated combos or in-depth cancelling of mechanics, DMC4 this is not. As long as you time your rolls and hit R1 when you have a window, you can beat anything. If you think the game is too hard, as in, the WHOLE game, and not just a particular boss you think should probably be nerfed in a patch or whatever, I fail to see how an easy mode could help. Maybe you can kill a regular enemy in one hit instead of two before upgrading your weapon a couple of times. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017

Someone watches the movie with the gory scenes cut out. They're able to appreciate the cinematography, the acting, the directing in the non-gory scenes. Some of the context is missing, and they are aware of that, but they are still able to appreciate what they were able to see.

Reminds me of Saturday Night Fever. The film was originally released as a rated-R film, full of attempted rape, nudity, cursing, and homophobic/racist slurs. They later released an edited PG version so that more people would be able to experience the John Travolta dancing scenes.
My dude. Did you miss my earlier response to you? I would like to hear your thoughts on what I said.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
when a child can't play Mario Kart 8 without the accessibility options, we should tell them it's not for them

A key selling point of mario kart is that it is accessible to virtually everyone on some level. It always has been. It's one of the least punishing games out there. I don't really understand what you expected to make from the comparison. You might as well have said "Well, Shogi is far too complicated, why can't everyone play it well with little to no effort put in, like Tic-Tac-Toe?".

Ultimately, this, as always, seems to be like where you fall on the question "Does every games need to be playable by everyone to the same extent?".
I don't think they do , and there are such a huge amount of games nowadays that if you don't like what Dark souls does, there are a hundred other games you can play at any given moment that fit your taste better, without gutting dark souls to make it for everybody.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I mean, your full context just makes what you said even worse

It feels like you're basically saying fuck these developers for putting together a shoehorned vision so good I'm replaying it for a third time. If their vision of the game is so good you keep revisiting it then maybe their idea is the better one.
No, it doesn't because I enjoy it the first time around as explained, don't mean they shouldn't let you tweak it the other time around to change it up whichever way you like.
I read your post and the post you were replying to and it's still funny.
:)
Games and Movies are both extensions of the "Experience" concept. Experience isn't just a gimmick/meme word you hear at E3 press conferences all the time, it's an actual thing.

Here's a hint: Devs make the rules of the game to control the type of experience the player might have and how it develops. This seems to be the mechanic that upsets you. But it's a core mechanic that allows us as gamers to empower the devs to create a fun game. It's a good thing to have that system in place.

No taking power away from the devs please. They're the ones making less than minimum wage in sometimes awful conditions just to make a fun game. They don't need any more stress, which you are surely trying to do by demanding they cater to your game ideas.

The answer is simple: Play a different game
Nah movies and game experiences are different ways of experiencing something. They are not one and the same.

I'm not talking about taking power away from anyone, I'm talking about giving power to the player to improve on the developers experience to their liking, if not the first time around unlock it after the first completion, suddenly you get benefit of both.

The answer is really simple, and it's not yours it's; Play on PC and just mod the game.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
On this topic, I feel it's kinda like for RPGs between the more hardcore SaGa games that requires the player to engage into the systems and pay attentions and Final Fantasy which are more YOLO.
You can play FF games without engaging into any of the system and basically playing in the most braindead way, it won't be fun but you can do that.
In SaGa, if you play like that you'll die...permanently.
SaGa are much more fun games because the stakes are so much higher, sometimes things aren't for everyone and shouldn't be.

If I fail a test in school I don't demand that the teacher make the test easier so I can finally pass it. I study more and learn from my mistakes.
You'd be surprised...

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot see a way for Dark Souls to have an easy mode that would solve the "I don't know where to go" problem without them having to build up a bunch of systems they'd rather not have anyone use. Keep in mind that before it became a huge critical and popular hit, this game was just a modest sequel to cult hit on the PS3, from a developer that's done ok over the years but never had a really huge hit like Dark Souls became.

The easy mode for Dark Souls is to read a FAQ, and ask how to make a broken build. It's very easy to make an OP build in Dark Souls 1, and at this point it's extremely well documented game, so finding the optimal path, or even just hints at where to go is very easy.

It's fine to conclude "This game is not for me." It's fine to use a FAQ or to summon a lot of help. But an easy mode in Dark Souls 1 already exists. It's just an unconventional one.

Now, there's a good argument to be made that Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 may actually be tuned hard enough to make an easy mode necessary, especially with how they nerf magic builds, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 (and probably 2) are not difficult to beat if one looks up how to min/max their characters.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
....really?
finnegamn1.jpg

i mean, i get what you're trying to say, but cmon.

Those aren't an easy mode of Finnegans Wake at all. They are summaries of it. Reading the spark-notes of Finnegans Wake is not reading Finnegans Wake. This isn't complicated.

If the OP wishes he can also read summaries of all the souls games. But he seems to want to actually play the games themselves. That's something fundamentally different.

There is no argument against this that isn't boiled down to "But my e-penis" soo yes, they should.

There are some in this thread, and as long as one side of the debate refuses to even acknowledge that the other side has anything to actually say it won't go anywhere.

There's a discussion to be had, but presuming that everyone who disagrees with you is not only wrong, but a mean idiot jerk isn't conducive to anything productive.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

At which point I say: did you really want to watch the movie, or did you just want to watch John Travolta dancing? You can do that on Youtube.*

*I know Youtube wasn't around back then, but you know. Point still stands.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a problem. As long as it doesn't hurt others, I don't think that there is anything wrong with offering more accessibility options for everyone. Look, I'm not advocating for an entire redesign of the game, which is why I defend the idea of putting a console or a few sliders instead.
I dont see how. He used to skateboard and ride bikes, im not going to demand that all skateboards and bikes now autobalance so he doesnt fall over when he wants to ride them or move on command. Because its not realistic.

I dont think there is an issue with adding accesability, but when it comes to special needs, one persons needs may vary wildly from someone elses and when you try to accomodate everyone, then yeah some of the inherent design will have to change. Either that or the individual has to come to terms that somr things may now be out of their grasp.

Oct 25, 2017
An easy mode won't fix that. Neither will getting your friend or strangers to beat the game for you. "Git gud" might sound dismissive, but at least there's faith in that statement that one actually can do better — unlike the defeatist position requiring the developers to alter the game around your ineptitude. There are seven years worth of resources available on Dark Souls 1; just a cursory glance at them would've revealed a way to get past the Hellkite Dragon and taught you to look for alternate routes when faced with (seemingly) impossible-to-overcome obstacles, already making you a better player.
Great post.