• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
A rare occurrence but it's always memorable when it happens (probably because it's a rare occurence). I never miss area music while playing the games so I don't think they needed it, but the addition of BGM to certain areas makes them so good that it makes you wonder what a fully BGM'd out franchise would have sounded like. Maybe less impactful than now due to how rare it is, but still
DPN3qef.png

Any areas besides Ash Lake, Hypogean Gaol, and Upper Cathedral Ward? Would be surprised if there were no others but I can't remember any.

Last edited:

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
I haven't even played the DLC yet but I gotta get to it!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
If you get kidnapped and taken to Yahar'gul earlier that area has some of the best music I've experienced in a Souls. The mood, the atmosphere was just honestly peak From

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
One of the saddest things about much of the Souls games is that I rarely enjoy the music in the bosses' first time around. It usually takes a few runs because I'm learning the bosses and nerves take over.

I usually have to listen to the OST outside of the game to enjoy it more.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Firelink Shrine? I always forget that there isn't a lot of music in the game until I get back to it and hear the violins start weeping.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to post the milfanito song. The Shrine of Amana is such a beautiful area thanks in large part to this song.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's Hypogean Gaol, second song! It's so good.

Ah, I didn't know the name of the song but yeah, I don't actually know if everyone BGM would work that well. The impact of the songs you listed certainly wouldn't be that impactful. There's just something special about these select tunes.

Also, I struggle to come to grips with the fact that Motoi Sakuraba is a composer for Souls game lol

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
If you get kidnapped and taken to Yahar'gul earlier that area has some of the best music I've experienced in a Souls. The mood, the atmosphere was just honestly peak From

absolutely

Hypogean Gaol has some of the... I dunno how to call it - most evil sounding music I've heard in a game in quite a while. It's chilling, makes your hair stand and it's fucking AMAZING.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The music Hypogean Gaol and Upper Cathedral Ward are so goddamn creepy. In Upper Cathedral Ward I felt like I was playing a full-blown horror game.

lol @ the track being called "Soothing Hymn" too. Yeah, verrrrry soothing

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The music Hypogean Gaol and Upper Cathedral Ward are so goddamn creepy. In Upper Cathedral Ward I felt like I was playing a full-blown horror game.

lol @ the track being called "Soothing Hymn" too. Yeah, verrrrry soothing
Hey now, I'm sure it's very soothing for the monsters.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of general music definitely makes the times it does happen very memorable.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember if Demons has any but am too lazy. Someone remember for me.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
absolutely

Hypogean Gaol has some of the... I dunno how to call it - most evil sounding music I've heard in a game in quite a while. It's chilling, makes your hair stand and it's fucking AMAZING.
Gosh, it's so good isn't it?
I haven't studied Latin since secondary school, but this interpretation of the lyrics seems to hold up pretty well.
The final Sanguinem...Sanguinem with the low strings is so creepy.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Discovering Ashe Lake is still my favorite moment in any From game. The atmosphere is incredible.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of those I think my favorite is still Ash Lake. It's hidden in a corner of a corner of the world, after an entire secret area. It truly feels like a forgotten, arcane place whose implications the player cannot even begin to comprehend.

Hypogian Gaol sequence is fucking A+ if you do it right but if like me you just... teleport out the first chance you get and don't return for 10 hours, then it loses its magic.

I think the rarity of the soundtracks does play a role-- as well as they fit into the games and their atmosphere, I've never enjoyed listening to most tracks save for Souls of Fire (DS1 character creation theme) outside of the games.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Upper Cathedral Ward is already terrifying as is and the music makes it so much worse. It's weird because you aren't that far above the Lower Cathedral Ward that you know like the back of your hand at that point. But it feels like an entirely different world. Even the bridge in the beginning with the patrolling clerics and creeping mist is just... ugh.

What makes the music in Hypogean Goal terrifying is the knowledge that it's sung in-universe. Somewhere, out there, a choir is singing that shit. Likely beyond the door in the area where you fight The One Reborn. Fuck, maybe they're trying to summon it with their demented chant?

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Also here's the lyrics for the Hypogean Gaol music (it's not just gibberish Latin):

SANGUINE!

ishimoto

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
it's a boss theme and not area music, but Ludwig needs to be in this discussion. That is maybe the single greatest piece of video game music ever.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just replayed a bit of BB earlier and Hypogean Gaol is probably one of the best areas in the franchise if only for the music that suddenly appears. Good game!!!!