• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Finished DLC and main game yesterday. Only thing missing is
Midir
but i'm too old for this shit and retry after retry. Got him almost down one time but got greedy with the hits.Won't plat it although it plays very nice and i have DeS, DaS and BB plat.
Gael
was a nice fight. Went the Havel shield route first but in the end, the good old two hand, perfect timing dodge roll thing was the key. Final main game boss was a pushover compared to him.

Like some posted, lot of armor seems really bulky in DaSIII. So i went with Faraam Armor set for most of the second half of the game (under 70% load).

Strange that the DLC had no trophies but i read that the other games didn't have them too except BB.

BB>DaSIII>DaS>DeS>>>>>>DaSII

Last edited:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Champion Gundyr on my first go which really surprised me. Really struggled with Sister Friede's third phase which made beating Oceiros and Gundyr so easily seem so strange. I guess I got lucky.

Community still strong and tons of summons available if needed.

Now, since I'm slowly running out of bosses to beat: The Ringed City DLC worth ~8 €? :P
Yes. The levels are only ok but it has two of the best bosses in the series.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Best DLC in the series (or maybe tied with The Old Hunters), in my opinion.
Yes. The levels are only ok but it has two of the best bosses in the series.
Just beat one certain red hooded fellow and almost bashed my monitor in with frustration a couple of times with the third phase. Still don't undertand how to really dodge his attacks and especially the cape, but did it. Damnit. What a rush!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing DS3 again. I still have to finish Ringed City so i'm pretty happy to have a good chunk of Dark Souls territory to go through.
Just arrived at the Ringed City itself and boy what a bossfight the Demon Prince was. I'm loving the look of the Ringed City, it's beautiful.
DS3 is my favourite Soulsborne game.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't hang with Sekiro, I restarted DS3 ( barely played it when it came out), and it's amazing. Much more my thing than Sekiro at this point.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I've been playing it recently myself, about 26 hours.

TBH it is a very good game and easily better than Dark Souls 2 just on pure gamefeel alone (the movement and weapon swinging in that game feels kinda gross honestly), but I was hoping it was going to be even better based on what I'd heard.

There are parts of the game that I feel repeat the same mistakes of DS2. Farron Keep is absolutely miserable, those Elder Ghru are honestly worse than those assholes from the Valley of Defilement bc at least those were mostly ignorable. That one room at the bottom of Irythill Dungeon with like over 10 jailers just makes me ask "what the fuck were you THINKING???". Deacons of the Deep also feels like a DS2 boss (i.e "let's put a bunch of enemies clumped together! challenge!"). The sense of progression also feels a lot more like that game because the bonfires are so much closer to one another, unlike the first game where getting to a bonfire felt like a journey (although to be fair with how much stronger the enemies are in this game this may have ultimately been a good decision). Having to go back to the fire keeper to level up also really breaks with the flow IMO, and feels like it was prioritizing another callback to Demon's Souls over good game design, i.e considering how the structure of Demon's Souls is different and has a different flow from the other games and why that wouldn't work as well for DaS3.

Another problem is that a lot of the bigger callbacks/homages to bosses and prior areas just makes me think they were better than this game's. High Wall of Lothric reminds me of Boletaria Castle, but I genuinely prefered that area. Irythill Dungeon is clearly Latria 2.0 but Latria was a lot more memorable and had a better atmosphere. The Storm King fight in Demon's Souls was much better than the fight with Yhorm, which is a huge letdown given how awesome he looks in the trailers and opening cinematic (I messed up Siegward's quest so he didn't fight him with me, that would have probably made it at least a little better).

I can also already tell it has a different issue of its own, which is the linearity. I honestly feel like having a world more similar to DaS1 would have gone a long way with this game, even DaS2 is more open-ended even if its map makes no sense.

Of course I still have quite a lot of the game left (and I won't be able to finish it for a while since I've been playing it on my brother's computer, and he's leaving tomorrow), but so far I'd say I still prefer Dark Souls and Demon's Souls over this game, but it's better than DS2 because the level layouts are more interesting, the combat is much better and the bosses on average have been a lot better so far.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

TBH it is a very good game and easily better than Dark Souls 2 just on pure gamefeel alone (the movement and weapon swinging in that game feels kinda gross honestly), but I was hoping it was going to be even better based on what I'd heard.

There are parts of the game that I feel repeat the same mistakes of DS2. Farron Keep is absolutely miserable, those Elder Ghru are honestly worse than those assholes from the Valley of Defilement bc at least those were mostly ignorable. That one room at the bottom of Ithyrill Dungeon with like over 10 jailers just makes me ask "what the fuck were you THINKING???". Deacons of the Deep also feels like a DS2 boss (i.e "let's put a bunch of enemies clumped together! challenge!"). The sense of progression also feels a lot more like that game because the bonfires are so much closer to one another, unlike the first game where getting to a bonfire felt like a journey (although to be fair with how much stronger the enemies are in this game this may have ultimately been a good decision). Having to go back to the fire keeper to level up also really breaks with the flow IMO, and feels like it was prioritizing another callback to Demon's Souls over good game design, i.e considering how the structure of Demon's Souls is different and has a different flow from the other games and why that wouldn't work as well for DaS3.

Another problem is that a lot of the bigger callbacks/homages to bosses and prior areas just makes me think they were better than this game's. High Wall of Lothric reminds me of Boletaria Castle, but I genuinely prefered that area. Ithyrill Dungeon is clearly Latria 2.0 but Latria was a lot more memorable and had a better atmosphere. The Storm King fight in Demon's Souls was much better than the fight with Yhorm, which is a huge letdown given how awesome he looks in the trailers and opening cinematic (I messed up Siegward's quest so he didn't fight him with me, that would have probably made it at least a little better).

Of course I still have quite a lot of the game left (and I won't be able to finish it for a while since I've been playing it on my brother's computer, and he's leaving tomorrow), but so far I'd say I still prefer Dark Souls and Demon's Souls over this game, but it's better than DS2 because the level layouts are more interesting and the bosses on average have been a lot better so far.

I feel that DS3 has a very strong end game, the last three or four bosses are amazing and some of the best in From's history. Maybe not entirely gameplay wise for all of them but thematically and design wise very strong. I'm currently playing the DLCs and they are both very good as well. Miyazaki co-directed DS3 alongside the DS2 director, so that might explain why it's a mix of DS1 and DS2 in parts to you.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I'm definitely going back to DS3 after Sekiro. Never got around to the DLC, but dammit I have started that game from scratch like 8 times now. It's my favorite

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Made it to the last boss of the main game(I'm assuming I shouldn't kill him until after I finish the dlc) So right now I'm doing the first DLC Painted World(ice place)

I've been playing for about two months(42 hour playtime) and honestly it's a great game but to me the game just feels like same old. I do like the faster combat but the areas just feel sameish after playing through DS1 and DS2. There's lots of good boss themes in this game; in particular twin princes. The bosses in this game are wayyy better than DS2 bosses, absolutely loved dancer, twin princes, Dragonslayer, Pontiff Sulyvan, in fact I think the bosses are also better than DS1 bosses. The levels are great throughout but I feel as though dark souls 1 has more memorable levels and in some ways dark souls 2 has some better levels as well; I think No Man's wharf is probably better than most of the game's levels, save for the Cathedral level which is terrific.

Also the game isn't as drawn out as dark souls 2, this game feels like it's the perfect length. Rolling is a bit too overpowered in this game.

Sharp Sellsword Twinblades carrying me through the game

Last edited:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
After Sekiro I'm tempted to go back to DS3 since I haven't finish it... Just clocked around 10 hours.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Beautiful game, and IMO it's the most consistent/polished Souslike game (which makes sense considering that is the 4th Souls game and it doesn't try anything crazy).

It surprises to me how BB is always considered the best of the two (even if I share this opinion I only prefer BB for a really small margin), DkS III has far better bosses, the OST is better for me, and has a better area variety/design. It lacks BB's unique setting and it has lots of ideas taken from older Souls games, but even so it feels like the original formula perfected.

I still thing that DkS I is the best one, as it has a beautiful interconnected world (which can be said also about Sekiro) and lots of memorable fights.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The levels are great throughout but I feel as though dark souls 1 has more memorable levels and in some ways dark souls 2 has some better levels as well; I think No Man's wharf is probably better than most of the game's levels, save for the Cathedral level which is terrific.

I would say the DLC areas from DS2 are more memorable than most of the areas I've gone through in DS3 so far (the last place I went to is Profaned Capital, which was kinda lame), but if we're just comparing the base areas I'm struggling to think of anything in DS2 that was better so far (never got the love for dead man's wharf, it's not horrible but doesn't stand out to me that much). At worst you could say they are on par, but I think the maze-like level layouts of DS3 are better at least.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm liking Sekiro (my first FROM game ever) should I start playing these Dark Souls games? I love RPG's too so I'm leaning towards yes but I hear they are very different from Sekiro so I'm not sure

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Abyss Watchers down, Deacons down, it's a wonderful feeling not knowing what's next! Two handed combat feels oh so satisfying and appropriately punishing when you dodge incorrectly.

These NPC quests are fucking ultra obscure though, just like the other games. Who the fuck designs these interaction trees? I love it but LOL

I dunno, I've beaten it twice and loved it both times (vanilla and SotFS). Didn't have any issues with the works design or enemy placement.
Well, you're most assuredly in the minority. Enemy placement and combat feel legitimately worse than DS1, DS3, and BB.

Though DS3's constant "lol want the item oh its an ambush time!" feels pretty repetitive at already twenty hours in.

If I'm liking Sekiro (my first FROM game ever) should I start playing these Dark Souls games? I love RPG's too so I'm leaning towards yes but I hear they are very different from Sekiro so I'm not sure
For the love of all that is unholy play Bloodborne.

I still thing that DkS I is the best one, as it has a beautiful interconnected world (which can be said also about Sekiro) and lots of memorable fights.
I dunno, while its world design is still unparalleled, I really found its enemy behavior lacking when I went through Remastered again. Maybe it's because that would've been my fourth time through and I felt absolutely no challenge anymore though...

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

I haven't played Sekiro myself but from what I have heard of impressions, it's much faster paced, the Souls games have a much bigger emphasis on defensive play and are slower overall until you hit Bloodborne where things speed up considerably.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

I like your perspective, and it's pretty consistent with my first opinions of the game. But I think it stands up better than any other game in the series, even if its first playthrough doesn't hit the same highs as first playthroughs of other soulsborne games. I have about 200 hours each in DS1 and DS2, but over 250 in DS3 because it's just more interesting for me to replay, even if I didn't get the same satisfaction the first time I played it.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I would say the DLC areas from DS2 are more memorable than most of the areas I've gone through in DS3 so far (the last place I went to is Profaned Capital, which was kinda lame), but if we're just comparing the base areas I'm struggling to think of anything in DS2 that was better so far (never got the love for dead man's wharf, it's not horrible but doesn't stand out to me that much). At worst you could say they are on par, but I think the maze-like level layouts of DS3 are better at least.
You're most likely correct, but the issue that I have is while the levels are great and I'm going to have to look at some of them again because I've forgotten; many of them just feel like I've played them before in either dark souls or bloodborne(the little I've played). I think I really enjoyed the Cathedral of the deep level and Lothric Castle. Catacombs, Irythrill dungeon, and Grand Archives were good. I definitely think it has some of the best bosses I've played in the series so far

Dark Souls 2 areas feel very strange and at times, very hard, frustrating even. The bosses are horrible though

I don't know but I'd love to hear your opinion at the end of the playthrough

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Made it to the last boss of the main game(I'm assuming I shouldn't kill him until after I finish the dlc) So right now I'm doing the first DLC Painted World(ice place)

I've been playing for about two months(42 hour playtime) and honestly it's a great game but to me the game just feels like same old. I do like the faster combat but the areas just feel sameish after playing through DS1 and DS2. There's lots of good boss themes in this game; in particular twin princes. The bosses in this game are wayyy better than DS2 bosses, absolutely loved dancer, twin princes, Dragonslayer, Pontiff Sulyvan, in fact I think the bosses are also better than DS1 bosses. The levels are great throughout but I feel as though dark souls 1 has more memorable levels and in some ways dark souls 2 has some better levels as well; I think No Man's wharf is probably better than most of the game's levels, save for the Cathedral level which is terrific.

Also the game isn't as drawn out as dark souls 2, this game feels like it's the perfect length. Rolling is a bit too overpowered in this game.

Sharp Sellsword Twinblades carrying me through the game

beat him before the DLCs,since he is easier than the bosses you'll face there. You won't be transported to NG+ automatically,don't worry

Yes of course. In fact if you liked Sekiro,I think it's easier to like Souls.

Absolutely. Best DLC in the series (or maybe tied with The Old Hunters), in my opinion.

Well,Old Hunters was originally 2 DLC,so we should compare it to Ashes of Ariandel+ Ringed City package. I lean towards the DS3 DLCs

I feel that DS3 has a very strong end game, the last three or four bosses are amazing and some of the best in From's history. Maybe not entirely gameplay wise for all of them but thematically and design wise very strong. I'm currently playing the DLCs and they are both very good as well. Miyazaki co-directed DS3 alongside the DS2 director, so that might explain why it's a mix of DS1 and DS2 in parts to you.

DS3 is like the greatest hits of Souls. It combines pieces of all the games that were released so far and it's a pretty successful formula. Imo it might be the best overall package in aspects of quality and quantity of content.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I went back to DS3 recently, and continued on my NG+ playthrough. I picked it back up at Irythill. Man, I had totally forgotten how gorgeous this game is. It's a work of art.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am about to start this but just had a question. Does this game have a homicidal NPC that kills other NPCs? If so I wanna avoid the loser.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am about to start this but just had a question. Does this game have a homicidal NPC that kills other NPCs? If so I wanna avoid the loser.

There is one nefariously masked gentleman who will kill someone but the circumstances that lead up to it are obscure and hard to come by. Plus, the individual that dies by his hand ain't really all that important unless you're into some useful items for PVP.

The nefarious gentleman is how you unlock PVP though, so if you're not interested in that aspect of the game, feel free to ignore him. Or kill him. He wears a cool ass mask.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is one nefariously masked gentleman who will kill someone but the circumstances that lead up to it are obscure and hard to come by. Plus, the individual that dies by his hand ain't really all that important unless you're into some useful items for PVP.

The nefarious gentleman is how you unlock PVP though, so if you're not interested in that aspect of the game, feel free to ignore him. Or kill him. He wears a cool ass mask.
Thanks!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is probably the Souls game I've seen the least of.

I played Dark Souls and really got into it, bounced off Dark Souls 2 hard after 5-6 hours (but watched quite a bit of prerelease trailers and stuff), watched Giant Bomb play Demon's Souls, and I've watched a fair amount of stuff about Bloodbourne and Sekiro.

But DS3 I can't even remember seeing footage of it. Probably just came out at a time in my life when I had a lot less time for games, but I really know next to nothing about it.

I'm starting to replay Dark Souls 1 and if I get back into the genre again I want to give DS2 another chance and eventually get 3 and play that.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

There's also a certain nefariously masked lady who requests that you kill someone, but of course you're free to ignore her.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Still making my way through it on PC. 4K and SMAA injected do make it look the best any From games has looked for me. I have not played Sekiro yet. Coop is pretty fun too and makes some of the later sections easier obviously if you don't have time for everything.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing right now too. The only other souls game I've played is Bloodborne. I liked BB a little bit better, and this seems a lot easier. I've killed almost every boss so far in 1-2 tries except Abyss Watchers. I don't know why but I struggled with that one.

Farron Keep was pretty annoying though. I just planned on dying a lot there so I could get the items.

Also it's been a while since I played BB, but I swear it looked better graphically not to mention the art direction.