• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to post screenshots but here's a list of all the disturbing things in Dark Souls 2, just off the top of my head:
  • Demon of Song
  • The zombie dogs in the Gutter
  • The abominations in the flooded area before the Lost Sinner
  • The Embedded
  • Finally coming face to face with King Vendrick
  • The Duke's Dear Freja and the entire area leading up to her
  • The Rotten
  • The monsters in No Man's Wharf who are afraid of light
  • The background music in Majula
  • Entering Aldia's Keep for the first time
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff too. What were FromSoftware on when they made this game? DS1 and DS3 have some creepy stuff in them but DS2 is overflowing with it.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hmmm, I don't know if I quite agree, but I also don't disagree exactly. I haven't played 2 in a while, but 3 is pretty damn creepy as well. I'm replaying 2 soon, so I guess I'll be thinking about that.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Does any of that seriously compete with the bottom of the Valley of Defilement or the Prison of Hope in the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh DS1 and Demon's (at times) are creepier to me. If they followed through with the torch mechanic and didn't gut the lighting DS2 would probably have it sure... But they didn't, so the atmosphere suffered greatly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Does any of that seriously compete with the bottom of the Valley of Defilement or the Prison of Hope in the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls?

I specifically said Dark Souls trilogy so people wouldn't come in here talking about Bloodborne or Demon's Souls. Obviously those areas are creepy, but that's not what we're talking about here.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Nothing is more creepier than Latria, but the invisible forest in DS2 is creepy.

Edit: In the Dark Souls series, I'll give you that.. 2 is creepy.

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree, but it only becomes worthy of note when you limit the discussion to a specific subseries that wasn't meant to be particularly creepy. Since Souls fans have no reason to pretend Demon's Souls and Bloodborne don't exist, it's hard to see it as a standout feature. My reaction is more of a "sure..." than a "yeah, that was great!"

Some of it was mechanically interesting, though, like the monsters that are afraid of fire and drop pyromancer clothing, or the fog area that precedes the N64 Woods with the camera zooming in and invisible enemies. That was pretty great. Atmosphere-wise, I don't think it did enough with it. That one part of Dark Souls III with the jailers ended up being far creepier atmosphere-wise than anything in Dark Souls II just because of this one encounter:

Dark-Souls-3-Wretch-Irithyll-Dungeon.jpg

When it comes to enemy design, Dark Souls III was creepier in general, with also things like those big ass spiders who drop Aldrich rings, the way they move is just unsettling. There are also the cages with a bunch of dudes and the sewer centipedes. And it made more of an impact on me because you're directly interacting with them, and their creepy animations also mean an immediate danger to you. Atmosphere wise it wasn't quite there, in my opinion, but I didn't feel like it was trying too hard either.

The Dark Souls series just isn't one that I'd personally use "creepy" to describe, and I don't think of that as an issue. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne both fit into Cosmic Horror, so they naturally gravitate a lot more towards that.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
2 is definitely very creepy, but I think 3 still holds the candle on a personal note (I have a soft spot for the kind of "corruption/decay of the familiar" type of elements present through 3).

But 2 definitely has the most... idk, kind of ethereal eeriness to it that makes it very memorable. I also agree that finding Vendrick is one of the most memorable and powerful moments in the series.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah your not wrong, but i think i find it creepy in a different way than you mean.

In so many ways DS2 feels like a fairy tale, not the happy kind but the old school ones where the basic nature of the world and a lot of its inhabitants is impossible to properly discern, and can easily turn out unexpectedly dangerous/lethal.
No matter how well you fair throughout the game you never really feel like you have a complete understanding of the place and its rules, just enough to muddle through and not die too hard.

By comparison both 1 and 3 are dangerous and scary in much more obvious and expected ways.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I would say New Londo is creepier than anything in Dark Souls 2.

Hell, even the catacombs is higher for me:

Yup.

I wasn't creeped out by DS2 much if at all.

Majula's theme isn't creepy, more melancholic and calming?

I think the lighting really destroys any sort of suspense, everything looks flat like a 2.5D game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls II felt a little too Heroic Fantasy compared to the broken down Dark Fantasy world of Souls 1.

I loathe the snot zombie look they went for hollowing in DSII.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Which game has you wake up in a cell in some facility run by squid-like creatures? I remember that being pretty creepy.

Oct 25, 2017
2 is definitely very creepy, but I think 3 still holds the candle on a personal note (I have a soft spot for the kind of "corruption/decay of the familiar" type of elements present through 3).

But 2 definitely has the most... idk, kind of ethereal eeriness to it that makes it very memorable. I also agree that finding Vendrick is one of the most memorable and powerful moments in the series.
Yeah, while I wouldn't personally describe it as "creepy", meeting Vendrick is the highlight of the game to me. Incredible moment.

Aug 12, 2019
I think Dark Souls 2 is more specifically unsettling than downright creepy. There's always a lingering sense of things being off and out of place as opposed to downright "creeping you out" that I think that the other Souls games and Bloodborne especially go for. There's a weird disharmony to the world of Dark Souls 2 that just feels like it pervades everything in the game.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Headless enemies are something FROM is fond of that never cease to creep me out. Especially when huge centipedes emerge from their bloody neck stumps.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I feel like Dark Souls 2 is the only one that feels like real people could have lived in and existed in the world imo.

It gives the game a sombre feel that I really like.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
One enemy that scared the shit outta me when i first encountered him was the Labyrinith Madman from bloodborne. Running fast at you with that high pitch squealing trying to smack you with a dead body, lol.

LabyrinthMadman.png

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Yeah your not wrong, but i think i find it creepy in a different way than you mean.

In so many ways DS2 feels like a fairy tale, not the happy kind but the old school ones where the basic nature of the world and a lot of its inhabitants is impossible to properly discern, and can easily turn out unexpectedly dangerous/lethal.
No matter how well you fair throughout the game you never really feel like you have a complete understanding of the place and its rules, just enough to muddle through and not die too hard.

By comparison both 1 and 3 are dangerous and scary in much more obvious and expected ways.
This is an aspect I absolutely love about DS2. It really feels like an old fairy tale where the world can change at any moment. It's a shame people hated it so much it got dropped.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't played through the trilogy (only a little of 1 & 2) so I'm not getting the full experience but of the playthroughs I've watched Dark Souls 3 came across the creepiest. But a lot of atmosphere is lost watching someone else playthrough a game.

Oct 27, 2017
I may be more inclined to agree if I remembered Dark Souls 2 better. The game has an unease and creepiness overall, but in terms of specifics New Londo Ruins in 1, and the Irithyll Dungeon in 3 are more memorably creepy than anything I can remember from 2.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
DS3 has:
Monstrosity of Sin
Sewer Centipedes
Wretches
Deep Accursed
Monstrosity of Sin again because holy shit they're creepy

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a typo in your title, maybe autocorrect did it? You meant to type "crappiest" but it seems it got changed to "creepiest!"

just kidding

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think DS2 ends up feeling very melancholic and distant. I can see how some would end up interpreting this as creepy, but to me it comes off more as a deep sense of sadness and nostalgia for a dying world.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Majula's music has that haunting melody, like the ending song in Poltergeist. The other games have a fallen empire kind of feel but 2 was definitely creepy in a way. The one vendor shouting "I'm rich", with the majula theme in the background.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Those monsters art and animation makes them more funny than scary(aside from demon of song), so no hard disagree. tomb of the giant alone is scarier than anything in DS2. New londo ruins too.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd call it creepier than DS2 but I think there's a real sense of hollowness and melancholy to DS2 that makes it my favorite game in the series tonally. Finally stumbling across Vendrick and seeing what's become of him might be my favorite moment in the entire FROMSOFT library (that I've played)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
One enemy that scared the shit outta me when i first encountered him was the Labyrinith Madman from bloodborne. Running fast at you with that high pitch squealing trying to smack you with a dead body, lol.

LabyrinthMadman.png

These are nuts. I wish they would've put them in the main game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Dark Souls 2 is more specifically unsettling than downright creepy. There's always a lingering sense of things being off and out of place as opposed to downright "creeping you out" that I think that the other Souls games and Bloodborne especially go for. There's a weird disharmony to the world of Dark Souls 2 that just feels like it pervades everything in the game.
I feel like Majula's theme is the perfect example of this. It always feels... Wrong. Soothing and beautiful, sure, but there's a sinister edge where you're waiting for the other shoe to drop.