• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The strongest group of JRPG's in this list is...

• Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest

Votes: 117 55.7%
  • Persona/SMT

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • Pokemon/Fire Emblem

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Ys/Trails

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Xenogears/Xenosaga/Xenoblade

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Suikoden/Tales

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Kingdom Hearts/Chrono/Mana/Front Mission (4 'secondary' Square series)

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
*Until the next one loooooool.

As always I have to write a disclaimer saying that if you have a problem with the poll options why don't we step outside and have a staring contest to the death cause of social distancing if you think you're so tough.

Please don't take this poll too seriously, it's only a fight to the death between our favourite franchises. Yes I know some of them are STACKED full of games moreso than others but I hope every group can get a fair share of votes cause I think all these series are well loved. The only group I think truly feels out of place grouped together is Suikoden and Tales and I know I'm gonna get grief for placing them together but I didn't wanna leave Suikoden out especially so f--- it, it is what it is. They're both oddballs in the sense that they're made by companies not primarily known for JRPG's: Konami and Namco.

I might actually resign from playing videogames lol cause making polls on resetera is way more fun; I love to see the games I grew up with being debated by people with refined tastes such as yourself even though I don't think I'll get over how dirty you did my girl Perfect Dark the other day. But I'm willing to forgive and forget if Persona/SMT win.

May 16, 2018
Final Fantasy and DQ win simply based on volume. If you were to rank these based on, say, quality of their "median" game, the contest might be closer.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Final Fantasy and you didn't need to lump it with Dragon Quest for it to win this poll, it stands on its own.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Ys plus Trails is the perfect combo of combat -heavy or story-heavy JRPGs.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You could just use that poll site (strawpoll the name?) to make a poll with more than 7 options and post the link itt instead of stacking completely different series into one option lol

Voted on Xeno btw.

Oct 25, 2017
lol I would take Final Fantasy alone over any of those other combos, and I love games in almost all of those other franchises. Adding Dragon Quest is just overkill

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've enjoyed around half a dozen games in most of those categories, just the one on the xeno series, and more like at least a full dozen from FF/DQ and their spin-offs combined :D

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I am no good at internet. I did not know this

strawpoll.com

StrawPoll: Create a Poll in Seconds

Making it easy to create instant, real-time polls and surveys for free. StrawPoll is the simplest way to create instant, real-time polls for free.

Never made a thread so dunno if you can cancel the poll, but you can edit the first post with a link to a poll you created in this site, if you want.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have grouped FF/DQ but there's like 5 stellar games in each imo and each of the options can compete except Takes drags Suikoden down a little.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
strawpoll.com

StrawPoll: Create a Poll in Seconds

Making it easy to create instant, real-time polls and surveys for free. StrawPoll is the simplest way to create instant, real-time polls for free.

Never made a thread so dunno if you can cancel the poll, but you can edit the first post with a link to a poll you created in this site, if you want.

Nah thanks. I'll just let it ride out and I'm happy with the majority being wrong. Don't worry guys you can't always get it right lol. Never forget what you did to Perfect Dark lmao

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are handily my two favorite JRPG series so this was an easy pick. I significantly prefer their battle systems to basically all other JRPGs because of the amount of freedom given to the player in crafting their team.

Second place would be tough. I'd probably ultimately go with the secondary Square series because of how many games that encompasses. Then Persona+SMT, then FF+DQ. But it hurts to put Dragon Quest in fourth place.....

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think the structure of the poll is fair. In the PS2 era this would have been a much more even fight. In the present FF and, to a lesser extent, DQ have continued to experiment boldly and stay relevant.

The other series have mostly played it safe or integrated anime tropes as much as possible.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Pokemon/Fire Emblem, it's the only pair where I generally like both. I love Final Fantasy more than anything of the poll options, but hate Dragon Quest, so... yeah, it kinda cancels out that pair.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Chrono should be grouped in with the Xeno games all things considered. Xenogears started out as Chrono Trigger 2, Lucca cameos in it, and various staff from Xenogears went on to make Chrono Cross.

The lack of SaGa is criminal too. You could have split off Dragon Quest away from Final Fantasy, and lumped Final Fantasy in with SaGa, Mana, and Bravely franchises, on the account that all three of those have entries that have Final Fantasy in the title.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Dragon Quest is the best jRPG series of all time, so I had to vote for that even though I definitely don't consider FF to be the second best.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Persona/SMT for me, the western fantasy setting Dragon Quest and a good number of FF use puts me to sleep, also greatly prefer the combat of Atlus' turn based games.

Status
Not open for further replies.