• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I remember talking about this with a couple of friends a few weeks back, and how they were so pysched to watch the movie.

Good times.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fassbender is the best Magneto, but McAvoy is only good at playing young Prof X. He cannot pull off a full grown one.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's sad the x-men movies have to end this way. At there best, they were up there with the best of the MCU and sometimes even better. It's a shame they were so inconsistent.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd hesitate to say good after first viewing but it wasn't bad by any means and I didn't notice the reshoots. Antagonists were just vehicles for Phoenix.

Yeah, it's definitely not a bad movie. I've seen legit bad movies. This isn't one of them. I feel like it's ultimately forgettable, but not the dumpster fire people were expecting. I actually didn't notice the reshoots either, so they did a solid job of masking that, unlike, say Fant4stic (full disclosure, I haven't seen Fant4stic, but I've seen the reshoot comparison videos, and that shit sticks out like a sore thumb).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
neO7hZU_d.jpg

Tickets for the only showing left tonight in fifteen minutes.

Oct 2, 2018
so....

its not a terrible movie. I actually dont think its bad. It's just sort of servicable and there's a definite lack of wow in all of the action sequences and there's also a very strong sense of dejavu to the last phoenix movie including the house scene in which Famke Jensen Phoenix obliberated some house.
There's a sort of similar scene here but its done worse.

The action is also SOOOOO small in scale.
An attack on a brown stone in NY. An attack on some shitty commune with 2 helicopters. Like, what am I watching?

The problem is the third act that has such a small scale this seems like a weird tv show off shoot with the most underwhelming final act of any superhero movie of late. Its all shot in tight little boxes in a train, then it crashes and she implodes some aliens and it ends. It really doesn't deliver a pay payoff for the last xmen movie after like 7(?) movies? Seriously WTF?!

ADD: also alien plotline is so badly done and you honestly don't even care. They don't show them enough to get a real motivation nor give them a premise as a threat.

The thing it has going for it:

Fassbender is always magnetic on screen
Nightcrawler is amazing and has some great scenes

that's it. The new cast I've never loved and I dont like anyone in this but the problem with this is how low rent it feels. I dont like jean grey, cyclops, hank, raven - storm and quicksilver are underused and quicksilver disappears from the 3rd act from injury.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just so you guys know, one of my friends went to see Dark Phoenix on IMAX and shit, and still hasn't seen Endgame.

Just so you know these people exist in the world, lmao.

May 26, 2018
So... this movie was weird. It wasn't awful.

But it made me feel absolutely nothing for nearly the entire run. One of the strangest theater experiences I've ever had.

If I had to look for positives...

1. Fassbender is a hell of an actor. He tried his best.
2. James MacAvoy is a hell of an actor. He tried his best.
2. Sophie Turner really gave it her best shot too. Actually thought at times she fit Jean Grey better than Famke did (WTF? good job sophie)
3. There were a couple enjoyable moments in the final fight.
And Quicksilver trying to speedforce Phoenix in the neighborhood was cool, in theory.
4. The music worked hard. (But they never brought back the X-Men 3 Phoenix theme. :teardrop: )
5. wtf is that dazzler
6. the design of the phoenix energy floating in space was kind of cool

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Outside of Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and Ian McKellen, I won't miss any of them. Especially the First Class cast and onwards, they're all very replaceable.

To be honest they were the main 3 I was thinking of. McEvoy and Fassbender were good as well.

For me the main thing is I can barely see prof and magneto played by anyone else.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
As a kid the Xmen cartoons Phoenix Saga and Apocalypse runs were the most legit stuff ever. Cant believe the movies have done them SO shittily

Feb 15, 2018
To be honest they were the main 3 I was thinking of. McEvoy and Fassbender were good as well.

For me the main thing is I can barely see prof and magneto played by anyone else.

As good as McEvoy is, Pat Stewart will always be Xavier.

I never really bought Fassbender as Magneto, just way too different from the comics and cartoons which I grew up with.

Fass is too nice

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I thought it was a bad movie. The dialogue left a lot to be desired, the unearthly antagonists thing was half-baked, and most of the action was clunky.

I like Turner as Jean Grey. I blame the director for some of her terrible line deliveries, particularly outside of her home.

It's a pretty sad end to this whole "saga". I assume Disney will reboot the franchise and take in the MCU direction.

Oct 2, 2018
As good as McEvoy is, Pat Stewart will always be Xavier.

I never really bought Fassbender as Magneto, just way too different from the comics and cartoons which I grew up with.

Fass is too nice

jim-lee-magneto.png

I always saw Magneto as this hunky silverfoxy guy (as I read Jim Lee's Xmen Run) - which I think Fassbender could have been if he grew his hair out and coloured it grey

anyhow. He's was great in this. Wish the movie wasn't so garbage.

Ian McKellen to me was always a bit odd as Magneto.