• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That makes no sense...
The government gave him some land for him and his mutants to hang out
FUCK THEY WASTED DAZZLER AND GENOSHA???
AHHHHHH
Also Selene who is nothing like comic Selene and just a henchman with a knife and telepath just so magneto can distract Xavier for like a minute
Oh. So that's who that was. I'm not sure I ever caught their name.
I'm a dumb comic nerd and even I had no idea who it was until Slayven brought it up because he read the cast list

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I remember rumors of Skrulls, I fully believe that they were true
There is no way anyone will ever convince me that those weren't Skulls at one point. Especially after reading up on what the not Skrulls were in the movie.
They were obviously supposed to be Skrulls at one point
and shiar apparently Chastain was supposed to be lilandra before the reshoots
but it really doesn't matter the aliens as they're are so underdeveloped and lazy some of it's due to the reshoots that they exist because the comic had space shit and needed villains

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The decade jumping thing in the "rebooted" X-Men is one of the better aspects of the series, the whole thing doesn't really make sense anyway if you're going to think too literally about it. Jennifer Lawrence looks nothing like Rebecca Romijin.
it wouldn't be a problem if it was used as a soft reboot full cast but that comes into a clash in Day of Future Past that is happening in the new Soft Reboot era where Old Cast characters in the DoFP conclusion are still cannon in the resolution of DoFP

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The government gave him some land for him and his mutants to hang out

Also Selene who is nothing like comic Selene and just a henchman with a knife and telepath just so magneto can distract Xavier for like a minute

I'm a dumb comic nerd and even I had no idea who it was until Slayven brought it up because he read the cast list
Yeah random mutant telepath is a hella long list

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it wouldn't be a problem if it was used as a soft reboot full cast but that comes into a clash in Day of Future Past that is happening in the new Soft Reboot era where Old Cast characters in the DoFP conclusion are still cannon in the resolution of DoFP

I think their bigger problem is they have terrible scripts apparently for the last two movies, lol. If they had gotten that right, I don't think anyone would really care about the time stuff.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I guess mastermind isn't hot enough theh could use lady mastermind

Wait wasn't mastermind in the dark Phoenix story
Just trash, that character could have been the big bad themselves. Hell argueably have a decent shot against even a pheonix jean grey

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I almost forgot about the Bargain Basement Thanos.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm going with this theory to make myself feel better: All of the Fox X-Men movies are movies within the world of Logan. Which explains Logan's scowl anytime anyone mentions the past exploits of the X-Men, because they grew up watching shitty movie adaptations of his life.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
They were obviously supposed to be Skrulls at one point
and shiar apparently Chastain was supposed to be lilandra before the reshoots
but it really doesn't matter the aliens as they're are so underdeveloped and lazy some of it's due to the reshoots that they exist because the comic had space shit and needed villains

The 100% were. They changed them to the "asparagus people" D'Bari Empire in the reshoots, even though they don't look like D'Bari and the D'Bari can't shape-shift like Skrulls.

Originally Beast finds out that they are called Skrulls before the UN attack.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The 100% were. They changed them to the "asparagus people" D'Bari Empire in the reshoots, even though they don't look like D'Bari and the D'Bari can't shape-shift like Skrulls.

Originally Beast finds out that they are called Skrulls before the UN attack.
LOL now you got me imagining them running to find another race they could use. I wonder how close were they saying fuck it, call them Brood

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
LOL now you got me imagining them running to find another race they could use. I wonder how close were they saying fuck it, call them Brood
They honestly might just grabbed the first race of aliens that came up in a search for 'X-men Dark Phoenix Aliens' that wasn't the skrulls or shi'ar.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
They honestly might just grabbed the first race of aliens that came up in a search for 'X-men Dark Phoenix Aliens' that wasn't the skrulls or shi'ar.
For real got to know how what they did to get the D'bari, they obscure as fuck and you bound to encounter other aliens before them digging into x-men lore.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
For real got to know how what they did to get the D'bari, they obscure as fuck and you bound to encounter other aliens before them digging into x-men lore.
If you need a disposable race of aliens to have murdered by the Phoenix the D'Bari are a prime choice.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Y'all remember the episode of the Office where they read the agent Michael Skarn script and realize Michael had originally called the idiot sidekick Dwight because one lone "Dwigt" was left behind after he copy/pasted?

I wonder if the Dark Phoenix screenplay has one lone Skrult.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
i thought the d'bari were the race whose planet was destroyed by the phoenix? like why wouldn't they use them to start with instead of going to Skrulls for some reason?
Because they were just some species that planet got destroyed by Phoenix no one cares about them besides that

The shiar on the other hand are actually important and involved in the whole plot and an actual threat to the xmen and knowledge of the Phoenix

it's also hilarious how she probably was supposed to be lilandra but called Vuk here even though Vuk was just an avengers villain that annoyed because Namor

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The decade jumping thing in the "rebooted" X-Men is one of the better aspects of the series, the whole thing doesn't really make sense anyway if you're going to think too literally about it. Jennifer Lawrence looks nothing like Rebecca Romijin.

I mean, Mystique is a shapeshifter. She can look like whatever she wants. Of all the characters who've been recast, she's the one who's Actresses need the last resemblance.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Mystique is a shapeshifter. She can look like whatever she wants. Of all the characters who've been recast, this one matters the least.

I mean really none of it matters, I think the audience is willing to give all that stuff a pass. You have to have a decent script with the movie, that's all that matters. If you don't have that, you have nothing. No director, no cast, no story logic or continuity logic is doing shit for you.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The thing that sucks about this franchise being so mishandled and now needing to be rebooted is how much the cast has been wasted. The x-men franchise may have been hit or miss but damn was the casting on fucking point. Very few franchises have a cast as perfect as this one and I'm actually a little sad we won't see some of them used again. There will be some big shoes to fill when it's rebooted.

Oct 28, 2017
The thing that sucks about this franchise being so mishandled and now needing to be rebooted is how much the cast has been wasted. Then men franchise may have been hit or miss but damn was the casting on fucking point. Very few franchises have a cast as perfect as this one and I'm actually a little sad we won't see some of them used again. There will be some big shoes to fill when it's rebooted.

Simon Kinberg is that you

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very few franchises have a cast as perfect as this one and I'm actually a little sad we won't see some of them used again. There will be some big shoes to fill when it's rebooted.

Outside of Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and Ian McKellen, I won't miss any of them. Especially the First Class cast and onwards, they're all very replaceable.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quicksilver was hardly a character, right? I doubt his setpieces would be less fun with any other actor.

I thought he had a fun energy to him even outside the big setpiece action scenes, but I admit he's a pretty minor character all things considered.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're good actors for sure, but the idea of them being recast is perfectly fine with me. Never really got attached to them when all is said and done.

As for Evan Peters, I definitely won't miss him. Outside of his big superspeed moments, what else does he really have?
nothing really

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I saw it Monday, so I'll repost my "mini-review" from Facebook:

"Dark Phoenix was actually...good? Wait, what? Just finished an employee screening of the movie, and while I won't go into specifics since it's not out yet, I will say I actually really enjoyed it. I have some issues with a few things, but overall, it was a solid, entertaining movie. X-Men: The Last Stand continues to be the low point of the series. Yes, even lower than Apocalypse (at least that one is watchable and goofy).

I admit it's not that high of a bar to be better than Apocalypse and The Last Stand, but I was pleasantly surprised. Sophie Turner was so much better in this one than her last putting as Jean Grey. She seemed more comfortable and natural in the role this time. Her American accent was definitely better too."

My biggest issue with the movie is that the antagonists are uninteresting and underdeveloped. I think having a bit more to flesh them out would have elevated the movie further. Overall, it's far from a dumpster fire. Much better than Last Stand and Apocalypse (a low bar, I know), but I thought it was entertaining and watchable.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I saw it Monday, so I'll repost my "mini-review" from Facebook:

"Dark Phoenix was actually...good? Wait, what? Just finished an employee screening of the movie, and while I won't go into specifics since it's not out yet, I will say I actually really enjoyed it. I have some issues with a few things, but overall, it was a solid, entertaining movie. X-Men: The Last Stand continues to be the low point of the series. Yes, even lower than Apocalypse (at least that one is watchable and goofy).

I admit it's not that high of a bar to be better than Apocalypse and The Last Stand, but I was pleasantly surprised. Sophie Turner was so much better in this one than her last putting as Jean Grey. She seemed more comfortable and natural in the role this time. Her American accent was definitely better too."

My biggest issue with the movie is that the antagonists are uninteresting and underdeveloped. I think having a bit more to flesh them out would have elevated the movie further. Overall, it's far from a dumpster fire. Much better than Last Stand and Apocalypse (a low bar, I know), but I thought it was entertaining and watchable.

I'd hesitate to say good after first viewing but it wasn't bad by any means and I didn't notice the reshoots. Antagonists were just vehicles for Phoenix.