• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP just has the wrong X-Men film, is all.

Just change the movie to LOGAN and he'd be right. Runner up is DoFP.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
....and no I'm not even joking. Just watched Dark Pheonex and I'm sorry if you disagree but this is the BEST Marvel Movie they've done so far, beating both End Game and well, ALL the Avengers movies in my opinion. No shitty one-liners, no horrid attempts at humor, no crappy attempts to be witty or hip...just a good ole' fashion kickass movie about DP and the X-Men. The best comic book film this year(beside maybe Joker)!
What do you like about the characters and story

Oct 26, 2017
First half was good. Then it fell off a cliff. They couldn't even afford to show the aliens proper in the final action sequence who were just humans wearing semi-casual wear.

I did love the visual look of Xavier and the X-Men, both costuming wise and visual framing. Reminded me a lot of Frank Quietley and John Cassaday.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree, but it's far from the worst in the franchise, and I thought the final action sequence was surprisingly rad
First half was good. Then it fell off a cliff. They couldn't even afford to show the aliens proper in the final action sequence who were just humans wearing semi-casual wear.
I kinda of liked that though. I'm so tired of watching heroes fight generic alien clones.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you said DoFP, I might have agreed with you. Dark Phoenix, however, is a mess. Not as bad as Apocalypse though

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
You have to watch Xmen Apocalypse prior to Dark Phoenix or else you'll be confused how the franchise went to shit so fast

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Some people really do have seriously questionable taste. What must your media consumption and influences be like to cause you to prefer such a mess over a great movie?

Endgame was made by people who know how to tell stories that are satisfying and entertaining. It manages the daunting task of concluding a massive story, full of moving parts inherited from 20+ prior films, with events that ring true for characters we know well, while striking a fitting balance between drama and humor. The movie is coherent and well paced, with spectacle that only ever arises from the needs and conflicts of characters who behave as though they have rational motivations.

It's fucking nutso to dismiss the high level craft on display there by comparing Endgame unfavorably to a half baked mess like Dark Phoenix, which so obviously lacks the spark and organization of good character-driven storytelling.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
200.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Phoenix deserves to burn in hell for what it dead to The Black Queen. Reducing a mutant older and more powerful than Apocalpyse to a mere henchmen

Nov 7, 2019
....and no I'm not even joking. Just watched Dark Pheonex and I'm sorry if you disagree but this is the BEST Marvel Movie they've done so far, beating both End Game and well, ALL the Avengers movies in my opinion. No shitty one-liners, no horrid attempts at humor, no crappy attempts to be witty or hip...just a good ole' fashion kickass movie about DP and the X-Men. The best comic book film this year(beside maybe Joker)!

While I definitely don't agree I totally respect your opinion. Glad the final X-Men could go out with a bang for you!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It was entirely terrible. The entire first half was a 1:1 redo of The Last Stand, and the second half was absolutely nothing. Everyone sleepwalked through their lines with less interest than they would have ordering food.
For a film called "Dark Phoenix", she closest she came to being a villain was...being slightly mean in a single scene for a moment? Then the film was already almost over.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
You can't even spell the name properly and you want to dawn the cape?

Put down the drank

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Disagree, strongly, but I'll stick around to see if OP can come up with a few more ways to spell "Phoenix".

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Did they explain or can you explain what happened at the end of Apocalypse, was that the Phoenix power? If so then what was that she got at the beginning of Dark Phoenix.

I didn't think it was terrible but I left only thinking 2 things. The train scene wasn't so bad, at least the Magneto parts and I can't believe Storm was having a hard time with dreads guy.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite boring for 3/4 of it. Third act has great action sequence. Overall It's better than Apocalypse though, Apocalypse is disaster, but worst than End Game.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I can't sanction this "at least it was better than Apocalypse" buffoonery going on in this thread. Dark Phoenix is a significantly worse film than even the messiest bits of Apocalypse. It's straight garbage.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I preferred Infinity War to Endgame unlike seemingly 99 percent of the population, and this is still the dumbest shit. Sorry.