• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Season 2, Episode 6: (I'll update as I get Farther in the show)
So I started watching this show about a week and a half ago and it starts off some what like a mystery and then expands into mutiple decades and so much time travelling! It's amazing but I won't lie I think it's starting to wear a bit because now everybody time travels. However! Everytime I think this show is getting to be to much it draws me back in! This show also gives me huge predestination vibes!
What do you guys and gals think of the show? :)

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got tired of it lol

The first season was good, the second was just a little too much. I don't think I'd be able to tolerate another season.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Loved it pretty much the whole way through. Waiting for season 3 was excruciating.

Dec 11, 2017
I'll say this, I respect the ending.

It's bittersweet. Not all sci-fi needs either super happy or super hopeless endings.

Last edited:

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes, and talked to a friend who binged all of it.

I think I would absolutely love it, but I don't have the energy for it right now.

It just sounds like a lot.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This show is you just asking yourself after every episode if things possibly couldn't get any more fucked up and the answer is "fuck you hold my temporal bratwurst".

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The show is pretty crazy yeah. It's hands down one of the best scifi ever made that managed to wrap itself up really really well ----- to my surprise actually.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The series has a million ways it could just collapse in on itself due to complexity, but they more or less stick the landing which is impressive as hell.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite series of the decade with Twin Peaks season 3. It's incredible.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I loved it. Some parts of season three felt a bit rushed IMO, but I think it more-or-less sticks the landing it goes for. It's a dense-ass show for sure, you've definitely gotta pay close attention while you watch it or you'll get lost quickly lol

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I got tired of it lol

The first season was good, the second was just a little too much. I don't think I'd be able to tolerate another season.

It wraps up nicely might require a watch or two to really grasp the sheer scope of events. The big points become apparent in S3.

One of the few things on netflix in the last 5 years I didn't mind binging on, especially compared to most of the marvel content.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm really glad I watched it with my so who was equally as invested. There was so much talking through things and even theorizing. Made it so much better.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe I should give it another go. Watched a few episodes and it didn't really grab me that much.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Still can't believe they mailed the ending, because shows like this always mess that up. It's one hell of an intellectual exercise keeping track of where and when and how and who, though. Binging through all of it for the first time would fry my little brain.

Jun 22, 2019
A lot of people love it, but I thought it was terrible. Basically hate-watched the final season while attempting to shift my perspective around to see if I could gleam what makes other people love it so much (to no avail).

Having parts not collapse on themselves seems like one of many basic prerequisites for a show to not be crap, not something to give praise to. Even if the foundation didn't crumble, I personally still hated most of the parts involved and the dressings around them.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest shows of all time.

A lot of people love it, but I thought it was terrible. Basically hate-watched the final season while attempting to shift my perspective around to see if I could gleam what makes other people love it so much (to no avail).

Having parts not collapse on themselves seems like one of many basic prerequisites for a show to not be crap, not something to give praise to. Even if the foundation didn't crumble, I personally still hated most of the parts involved and the dressings around them.
Sounds like a you problem, to be honest.

Very few shows can (or ever have) explore existentialism with the intellectual capability and effectiveness Dark does.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. One of those rare time travel stories that actually is consistent with its internal logic even until the very end.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If you feel better, I also found the show underwhelming. Frankly season 1 just grew tedious as I made joking suggestions about what the show was doing . . . only to find out that my half-assed predictions were actually right. I just had to wait 4+ episodes for those big reveals. I don't know, I admire a show that feels like it can take its time . . . but I hate a show that expects me to be wowed by a plot twist I thought was too ridiculous to happen 4 episodes ago. It often just felt like the show was building in a twist just to have a twist, not to make the show better for it.

Ah well, I had a poor experience, but I'm glad others enjoyed it.

Jun 22, 2019
If you feel better, I also found the show underwhelming. Frankly season 1 just grew tedious as I made joking suggestions about what the show was doing . . . only to find out that my half-assed predictions were actually right. I just had to wait 4+ episodes for those big reveals. I don't know, I admire a show that feels like it can take its time . . . but I hate a show that expects me to be wowed by a plot twist I thought was too rediculus to happen 4 episodes ago.

Ah well, I had a poor experience, but I'm glad others enjoyed it.

Mhm, I was either mentally several episodes ahead waiting for them to get to the obvious already, or they were being purposefully vague so they could keep something muddy for several more episodes (and if they're trying that hard to tease something while remaining opaque for mystery, personally I just stop caring about that specific plotpoint entirely until they're actually ready to fully address it). Therefore, the whole mystery aspect had zero appeal for me. The characters I just found either boring or insufferable (or both).

Jun 22, 2019
See, this is why hate watching isn't advisable.

The context of what you're watching will usually escape you.

I said I hate-watched the final season, I regular watched the first two (and hated them). But please do keep telling me how I disliked the show cause it was too smart for me. I swear some Dark defenders could rival Zack Snyder's defenders... Just let people dislike a thing, geez.

Last edited:

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I should give it another go. Watched a few episodes and it didn't really grab me that much.
Definitely give it another go. I tried it a couple times only getting a few episodes in before actually sticking with it.

I'm so glad I came back and stuck with it, one of my favorite shows of all time now. I would say at least try to make it into the second season, and see if it sticks with you.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mhm, I was either mentally several episodes ahead waiting for them to get to the obvious already, or they were being purposefully vague so they could keep something muddy for several more episodes (and if they're trying that hard to tease something while remaining opaque for mystery, personally I just stop caring about that specific plotpoint entirely until they're actually ready to fully address it). Therefore, the whole mystery aspect had zero appeal for me. The characters I just found either boring or insufferable (or both).
Yeah . . . I would have stayed on board if I found the characters and their stories interesting in their own right . . . but the show really just pushed me away from caring about most of them.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the ending they went with could have been done a dozen episodes earlier and it wouldn't have made a difference. Too much time was spent establishing the knot. Like ok, I get it.

Still a good watch but I was completely burnt out by the last season. That said, they absolutely do not fuck up in the internal logic department. That was surprising.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Man, Dark is so fucking good. I had no clue what I was getting into when I started it and that's the way it should be. Truly a mind fuck of an experience.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh got recommended to watch it, was reluctant because I have not been feeling series recently.

Loved it. Appreciate the fact it doesn't deviate from its logic either.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Season 1 was great. Season 2 + 3 go too much in circles. Eventually you don't care anymore since you already know what will happen so the stakes of their individual plot lines become kinda pointless.

They should have done one long season without any filler instead.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
okay i was confused about one thing, so we know that older jonas tries to blow up the pathway for time travelling but fails, so he dies correct? Because we see him alive interacting with people in 2019 in season 2 so is that happening before he detonates the bomb?

emmastone

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 28, 2020
Didn't enjoy it as much. The first 2 seasons were pretty great, the third was pure nonsense in my opinion.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sound design in this show is like being suffocated and gently caressed at the same time. The song choices capture the moment perfectly (the montage of matching the young and older versions of the characters for the first time is burned into my brain) and the motifs they use like the DUNNNUNUN synth riff instantly gives me chills.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

This was how I felt, honestly. I stopped watching during the first season because it didn't really do anything for me, but I decided to give it another go based on the amount of praise it was getting (and so I could get more German language exposure). It was just so absurd by the final season and the show in general felt like it went on too long despite only being 26 episodes in total.