• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Over a year after the series first debuted on the streaming service, the Jim Henson Company CEO and executive producer Lisa Henson and Netflix shared with io9 that there will not be another season of Age of Resistance, the groundbreaking series based on Jim Henson's fantasy film. In a statement, Henson thanked fans for their support and said they're looking for other ways to continue the story.

"We can confirm that there will not be an additional season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. We know fans are eager to learn how this chapter of The Dark Crystal saga concludes and we'll look for ways to tell that story in the future. Our company has a legacy of creating rich and complex worlds that require technical innovation, artistic excellence, and masterful storytelling. Our history also includes productions that are enduring, often finding and growing their audience over time and proving again and again that fantasy and science fiction genres reflect eternal messages and truths that are always relevant. We are so grateful to Netflix for trusting us to realize this ambitious series; we are deeply proud of our work on Age of Resistance, and the acclaim it has received from fans, critics and our peers, most recently receiving an Emmy for Outstanding Children's Program."

io9.gizmodo.com

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Has Been Canceled by Netflix

The story of Thra on Netflix is over. io9 has exclusively confirmed the streaming service has chosen not to renew The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, meaning the series has come to an end after only one season.

Seems like something that would fit in D+ catalogus tbh.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Damn that sucks, the first season was incredible. I wonder why it took a year from the release of the first season for them to finally announce this.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I just stared this a couple of days ago. Sad to see. The show is evidently a thing of love to the people in it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
tumblr_px4mv395FP1qbhtsso3_500.gifv

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
This is very disappointing. I adored Age of Resistance. Any chance the show will show up on a different platform?

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Damn. Was one of my favourite family shows of last year to watch with the kids. 😕

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I figured as much after they didn't extend it right away, it looked expensive.
I like it a lot, better than the old movie, but I guess it's not for everyone.

May 24, 2019
Was S2 in active development? It always sounds weird to me when 'cancelled' is used when it's not necessarily something being stopped prematurely.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a miracle the first season exists in the first place, I'm just grateful we got it.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Fuck off.

I really hate Netflix business model, sucks that this is the standard for TV media now.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Was S2 in active development? It always sounds weird to me when 'cancelled' is used when it's not necessarily something being stopped prematurely.
No, but they had plans for S2.

www.syfy.com

Emmy Contenders: Lisa Henson explains what's next for Netflix's Dark Crystal show & taking inspiration from Star Wars

Lisa Henson, CEO of the Jim Henson Company and guardian of all things Thra, tells us about getting back to work and the challenges of creating this world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not surprised. I didn't hear much buzz about it before it was released and I heard NONE about it after it was released.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Why would a regular network have handled this differently? If a show isn't popular, it's not going to get subsequent seasons, generally.
I guess, it's just the mass production of like 10 series then only 1 gets to be continued that I hate about it. Must be rough for actors and the like. It has made me lose major interest in the medium anyway.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Oh wow, I hadn't even watched it yet, and just assumed it was a one-and-done story that leads up to the movie.

I really wish more properties would get developed as self-contained story archs instead of being open ended. Hopefully this gets a home somewhere else AND they just finish the story.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I love that they went for this but ehhh I could just not get into it

hopefully they still keep up with trying risky bets

I guess, it's just the mass production of like 10 series then only 1 gets to be continued that I hate about it. Must be rough for actors and the like. It has made me lose major interest in the medium anyway.
That also isn't really much different from network TV, is it? How many new series would debut in the fall and don't last past a few episodes?

Netflix's production ethos does differ from network TV in some ways (in particular, they tend to view even successful shows as having shorter life-cycles than networks do), but with a show that doesn't generate enough interest in its initial season to get followups, they aren't much different at all.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
That also isn't really much different from network TV, is it? How many new series would debut in the fall and don't last past a few episodes?
Hmm I've never thought about it, I guess when I grew up the series that got shown on the TV was successful series imported from the US and I only noticed the mass production when it became more accessible on Netflix.