• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How should Disney reintroduce Daredevil to the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

• Treat the Netflix series as fully canon and in the main timeline of the MCU

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • Treat the Netflix series as an alternate MCU timeline via multiverse

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • Soft reboot: Some elements of the Netflix series stay canon but other elements are changed/ignored

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • Full reboot: Start Daredevil's story in the MCU from scratch, BUT keep the Netflix actors

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Full reboot: Start Daredevil's story in the MCU from scratch and fresh with all characters recast

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • We don't need Daredevil in the MCU.

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Soft reboot" is by far the dumbest and most confusing option. Either fully canonize everything and inherit all the baggage, or make it a separate timeline and bring back the actors as variants.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get too in the weeds with the canon. Keep the basic stuff and ignore anything that might make things messy. Really people just want to see Charlie Cox as Daredevil on screen with the rest of the MCU.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Option 3. Soft Reboot, ignore stuff that's to much of a hassle and have actors reprise their roles.

At least keep Daredevil and Kingpin.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Soft reboot at most. There should at least be some subtle nods to the previous show so many are endeared to.

This is what I heard. Hard spoilers if true, so fair warning.

Matt Murdock will show up in the police precinct scene we saw in the trailer. He defends Peter in court. He is able to prove that Spider-Man did not kill Mysterio and that the footage revealed to the public was doctored, but he is not able to prove that Peter Parker is not Spider-Man. So Peter is found not guilty of murder, but now he is stuck with all of this unwanted attention when he goes back to school with everyone take pictures and videos of him which we also saw in the trailer. Cox will have a total of 10 minutes of screen time, which would make his role a supporting character.

I'll be ecstatic if this is true. Don't even care that it's just lawyering. Charlie just plays Matt so well.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
had no idea daredevil had a 3rd season.

concerning the mcu integration, i dont think they can find a better cast than charlie cox, elden henson and deborah ann woll. (yes i had to look their names up)

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Soft reboot so they can change some of the glaring faults of the Daredevil series.

Stick, Madame Gao, and Nobu were all fantastic but I really didn't care for the Iron Fist or anything else about the Hand once they pulled back the curtain a bit.

Danny Rand was really the only awful casting choice made across the entire Marvel Netflix universe. In theory you could keep everyone else and it would be fine.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to +1 your love of Ray Nadeem. I recently rewatched the season as well--he was great.

I recently rewatched it too. Great character. You felt like you were in the quicksand with him as he was sinking and felt his dread.

To anyone who skipped S3 because Netflix MCU was cancelled, S3 worked perfectly as a series finale. The true end to a story arc, but open to continuation with a new one.

S3 probably barely edges out S1 for me (definitely a step up from S2) The last episode was sogood.gif

Edit: I'm fine with a soft reboot

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Part of what makes Season 3 great was how surprisingly intimate and raw it was about so many characters psyche and emotional state.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think a soft reboot, is the way to go, and I agree with most of your takes here - you keep the Daredevil and Kingpin dynamic, along with Bullseye. You keep Karen and Foggy as people "in the know" and pick and choose what parts of their backstories are relevant. That's the "core" web of Daredevil supporting characters, with, of course, some notable exceptions.

- I love the way Elektra was introduced, and the way she was written as a character, but the overall plot for the Hand as an organization was just awful. The back half of Season 2 (plus Defenders) takes some iconic Daredevil moments and completely wastes them - I'd honestly put it on par with X3's Phoenix Saga and Fantastic Four's Galactus. But, like you said, I think they could pull off an "Elektra is alive" twist and maybe re-adapt from there. We haven't had the Elektra vs. Bullseye showdown, after all.
- Similarly, the Hand blows, and needs a rewrite from scratch. But honestly, the way they completely rewrote the Ten Rings makes me think they could do the same for the Hand - there was as "branch" in New York that was defeated at one point, but they're the tip of the Hand iceberg.
- Ben Urich's death felt like a waste, because he's SUCH a key Daredevil supporting character, and of course was a great presence in the first season. I do think it'd be kind of cheap to just straight-up ignore that, though - at that point you cross into a hard reboot, I'd say. Honestly, it might bump into the Spider-Man license, but could slotting Phil Urich into that role work? Alternatively, maybe use another journalist, like Phil Sheldon?

Really, though, it comes down to what they want to do with him. If they just want to sprinkle Daredevil in for cameos and crossovers, and plant Kingpin wherever, we're good to go. But if they want to launch a Daredevil series at some point, I really think that hewing too closely to the original series is going to make the PG-13-ifying of things for Disney+ stand out too much, and making a more firm break might be smarter.
Yeah seems like we agree on almost everything. We like Elektra but just re-write what they did with her and the Hand. And I get that retconning Urich's death might be too much for a soft reboot but I don't think it crosses into the Spider-Man license, that's just the Daily Bugle and Jameson I think. Urich was never in a Spider-Man movie before and he was in the Fox Daredevil movie.
a lot i agree with here (especially the needlessly referential ending), still think offing urich (and even wesley) were mistakes, at least when they did. i wish karen wasn't written in such a manner as to make her so unsympathetic as well, at least until born again (which we nodded to, but did not do as an arc).

i personally liked the casting of elektra, but didn't think the two had any chemistry - worse yet, season 2 had that scene with them broken into a house, but i don't think people who didn't read miller's legendary run really saw the connection, you know? like, here's matt; he's about order because of his background, pushes past all odds to go to law school, and finds this one chaotic woman that makes him feel free. they're jumping across rooftops, he doesn't have to hide being an adept & can be himself with this one person - then tragedy strikes, etc etc. point being, by the end of the season - when matty basically seems to reject both the life he worked to build, as well as stick's path - i didn't feel like we'd at all established that this relationship, or even what the potential meant to him, were worth throwing it all away.

maybe that was just my take, but it was crucial, and it comes to mind when i often hear folks say they adored the first half of season 2 (punisher) but not the 2nd half (elektra, a fucking ninja war, things that should've been better received).
I think they had chemistry it was just an inconsistent level of it. But this scene that you speak of I actually kind of liked it, only because we never really got to see Matt's reaction to coming face to face with his father's killer up until then. And we know Matt really loved his dad.
I hope so bud
I just want to +1 your love of Ray Nadeem. I recently rewatched the season as well--he was great.
7883d3c2fc8167d261a69b6ce0094520e01d0b0b.gifv

"Soft reboot" is by far the dumbest and most confusing option. Either fully canonize everything and inherit all the baggage, or make it a separate timeline and bring back the actors as variants.
-sigh- when I saw that you had posted in this thread, I had hoped that you would at least have a polite demeanor.
Soft reboot at most. There should at least be some subtle nods to the previous show so many are endeared to.

I'll be ecstatic if this is true. Don't even care that it's just lawyering. Charlie just plays Matt so well.
Exactly. My understanding is that we will get Matt Murdock the lawyer, but not Daredevil the superhero. And honestly, that is enough for me for his reintroduction to this franchise. After all the main focus here is the Spider-Verse and Sinister 6.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I recently rewatched it too. Great character. You felt like you were in the quicksand with him as he was sinking and felt his dread.

To anyone who skipped S3 because Netflix MCU was cancelled, S3 worked perfectly as a series finale. The true end to a story arc, but open to continuation with a new one.

S3 probably barely edges out S1 for me (definitely a step up from S2) The last episode was sogood.gif

Edit: I'm fine with a soft reboot
So happy to see all this love for Nadeem!

I tried doing some research on how he got cast and it looks like he just owned it during his audition. I really wonder if the character was always meant to be brown or was altered to be brown and have a family after Ali's audition for the role.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I think the point of the multiverse stuff is to avoid confusing things like "soft reboots." Probably best to cordon off the Netflix stuff as its own universe and have the actors make their own way in the MCU proper.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Matt Murdock will show up in the police precinct scene we saw in the trailer. He defends Peter in court. He is able to prove that Spider-Man did not kill Mysterio and that the footage revealed to the public was doctored, but he is not able to prove that Peter Parker is not Spider-Man. So Peter is found not guilty of murder, but now he is stuck with all of this unwanted attention when he goes back to school with everyone take pictures and videos of him which we also saw in the trailer. Cox will have a total of 10 minutes of screen time, which would make his role a supporting character.
I'll lose my shit if this happens

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the worst that can happen if they just plain make all Netflix Marvel canon?
They have to keep Danny Rand as a character and actor and also can't use the Hand or Elektra without those plots largely being done already.

It's not like the MCU had it's own missteps it found ways to recover from. They're all serviceable enough and not as bad as other stuff some complain about in the MCU.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Actually just watched DD S3 for the first time this week. It really is a lot better than most of the Netflix MCU stuff that I've seen. Hopefully it gets a chance to shine again.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer a full reboot with same actors. Hopefully this time they can get The Hand right...

Soft reboot wouldn't be the end of the world.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I also want to +1 the love for Ray Nadeem. Great character and it was very heartbreaking how he had to basically debase himself and everything he believed in only to avoid collateral damage to his loved ones. And, well, his death was also heartbreaking as fuck and very tough to watch, but at least he managed to get the last laugh, even beyond the grave.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Bullseye vs Hawkeye, office projectile match. They could just keep his gimmick impersonating other heroes like a copy cat killer or something for thunderbolts/dark avengers.
This would be cool considering Hawkeye's specialty. Was Bullseye ever an enemy of Hawkeye's in the comics?
It'll be a full reboot. Netflix Marvel shows will just be another timeline and that's why the same actors can play the roles. You have the characters, don't have to deal with the baggage, and can recast and change backstory as needed. It's the easiest, most uncomplicated option.
A full reboot is option 4, but the part I bolded is option 2. If Disney goes with a full reboot, I don't know it even matters to say that the Netflix series is another timeline in the multiverse. If they did that, then it means that alongside the rebooted characters in the main timeline, the Netflix incarnation of the characters still also exist and matter. So would we stories on both sides continue? The mainline Daredevil and the Netflix-timeline Daredevil? If anything I think that makes things more complicated.

If they do a full reboot, I think they won't acknowledge the Netflix series at all because making a reboot would make the Netflix series not matter anymore.
you can keep stick's actor if you really want but his entire concept as a character is ludicrously corny and the self-serious monologue about his origin as some poor peasant child (who is also the whitest old dude imaginable) in The Ancient Mysterious Orient was one of the most embarrassing and racist things I've seen in a comic book adaptation

kind of on brand for what a low opinion daredevil had for asian culture and history though
oh really? well if Stick is the same case as the Ancient One where the character is either based on or was supposed to be an elderly Asian character, then yeah just recast him and choose someone more appropriate. I think Scott Glenn is a really good actor but it's not like I feel like he's irreplaceable as Stick.
I feel like they should definitely reboot Electra-- She was greatly mishandled in DD SE2 and Defenders. I really hated how they made her an super evil weapon with a terminator personality that could somehow kick the asses of a team superhumans, while also being a threat the world that has never been seen before. I'll admit that I haven't read much Electra in the comics, but if they do bring her back into the MCU she should just be DD's arch-rival that also occasionally works for the Hand.
I agree with most of this and I also don't know much about Elektra in the comics, what I do understand is that the two are often at odds but still fall in love at what point or another. I don't think she was ever his arch rival, though.
The MCU had very little to do with Daredevil and it was a better show because of it.
You really think so? Do you think Daredevil showing up in Cap3, Av3, or Av4 would have made the show somehow worse?
I disagree about Vanessa. I think she's a good counterpart for the Netflix series' spin on Wilson Fisk.

Aside from that this situation is something comic books deal with all the time. Books change creative teams, new teams inherit the changes made by the previous ones.

Ben Urich is done. The Hand is done (at least for the time). There's enough that's intact that it doesn't need to be complicated.
Agree to disagree about Vanessa because I just really didn't like her arc or that they got married so late and couldn't have Richard Fisk as part of the story.

Also, do you mean that comic book continuities change creative teams? Like a certain run or issue continues to get printed but in the middle of that same running story, the writers get changed?
Black suit with gauntlets = best look
Aren't they just ropes wrapped around his forearms?
I think the point of the multiverse stuff is to avoid confusing things like "soft reboots." Probably best to cordon off the Netflix stuff as its own universe and have the actors make their own way in the MCU proper.
I don't get it, are you going with option 2 or option 4? Option 2 means keeping the same Netflix characters, but making them relevant again via multiverse. This is not unlike how the main villain of Endgame was alternate universe Thanos, and that Gamora's story in the MCU continues but with an alternate version. This option means somehow through the "multiverse of madness" the Netflix characters end up in the MCU from their original timeline.

But a full reboot means brand new versions of these characters in the main timeline. This option means the Netflix series has nothing to do with the MCU, except bringing back the cast. Otherwise, why would the Netflix series matter? It's not like those characters' arcs would continue.
I also want to +1 the love for Ray Nadeem. Great character and it was very heartbreaking how he had to basically debase himself and everything he believed in only to avoid collateral damage to his loved ones. And, well, his death was also heartbreaking as fuck and very tough to watch, but at least he managed to get the last laugh, even beyond the grave.
You don't have to tag spoilers for Daredevil. The only things in this thread that should be tagged are Marvel properties which haven't been released yet. Appreciate the love for Nadeem though! But speaking of his last laugh, as I said in the OP if they do pick up with the same Bullseye in a soft reboot, Nadeem's legacy should be carried on in some way. The character shouldn't be forgotten.
Wow this is sick, gives me kind of a Dark Knight vibe. Who is that with him in the second picture?

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is sick, gives me kind of a Dark Knight vibe.

Who is that with him in the second picture?
I love the look, that first one especially feels like a cross between his season 1/3 simpler look and his s2 costumed look. Something inspired by these would feel very authentic to the netflix/mcu version of the character, were he to ever return.

And that's:
marvel.fandom.com

Samuel Chung (Earth-616)

41 appearance(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 3 minor appearance(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 2 mention(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 28 image(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 7 quotation(s) by or about Samuel Chung (Earth-616)

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the worst that can happen if they just plain make all Netflix Marvel canon?
As others have stated, making all of Netflix MCU canon means making everything they did with the Hand canon which was the low point of Daredevil & Defenders. I didn't ever watch Luke Cage, JJ, or Iron Fist after their first seasons though and I didn't watch Punisher at all, so I can't comment on the good or bad of those but what I can say is that Iron Fist season 1 was so bad that everything about it has to go. The only thing out of that show I did like was Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing, so they should definitely bring her back too.
I'll lose my shit if this happens
We all will.
I love the look, that first one especially feels like a cross between his season 1/3 simpler look and his s2 costumed look. Something inspired by these would feel very authentic to the netflix/mcu version of the character, were he to ever return.

And that's:
marvel.fandom.com

Samuel Chung (Earth-616)

41 appearance(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 3 minor appearance(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 2 mention(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 28 image(s) of Samuel Chung (Earth-616) 7 quotation(s) by or about Samuel Chung (Earth-616)
Yeah, this suit looks like a natural evolution of the outfits he's worn on the whole show. It's just perfect with the red rope gauntlets too. And I did a bit of reading about Blindspot, looks like he has worked with Daredevil and like him has been encountered as an enemy of the Hand.
I believe so yeah

They are used in muay thai if I remember correctly
for sure. yeah I agree and I like the look, and it shows how resourceful Matt can be with limited resourches

Oct 26, 2017

I always thought this was one of the worst designed suits because it does too much. There's no point to having the eyes being covered up with a karate headband (compared to the Frank Miller suit, where the covering was just the cowl extending into his eyes. At least that makes sense and flows logically into the design of the suit). The ropes also clashes with the clean design of the black devil suit.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...

I need him to say "happens to the best of us, kid." Or something similar, Daredevil's always getting his cover blown.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
You really think so? Do you think Daredevil showing up in Cap3, Av3, or Av4 would have made the show somehow worse?

No, but I do think the other way around would make Daredevil a more messy show. I like the focussed narrative without too many cameo's.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this was one of the worst designed suits because it does too much. There's no point to having the eyes being covered up with a karate headband (compared to the Frank Miller suit, where the covering was just the cowl extending into his eyes. At least that makes sense and flows logically into the design of the suit). The ropes also clashes with the clean design of the black devil suit.
Well if they do adapt a suit like this I'm sure they'll design it with live action translation in mind. And by that I mean it won't be just a 1:1 comic to screen suit adaptation. Maybe if the red on the suit was darker like blood red it would be better. And yeah there isn't a need for the headband either.
I need him to say "happens to the best of us, kid." Or something similar, Daredevil's always getting his cover blown.
You're right, this would also be a good followup to season 2 where Matt was defending Frank Castle.
Season 1 of Daredevil is better than the majority of MCU movies.
I agree, better or on par with a lot of MCU movies and D+ shows. But then again, that doesn't take away from the MCU. Not every movie has to be a masterpiece to be a good movie.
No, but I do think the other way around would make Daredevil a more messy show. I like the focussed narrative without too many cameo's.
I think the show got messy on its own sometimes for having 13 episodes every season. Sometimes the pacing was a little off. If they had the power to feature a guest and did have an episode or two person season with guest characters I don't think that would have hurt.

Oct 26, 2017
Well if they do adapt a suit like this I'm sure they'll design it with live action translation in mind. And by that I mean it won't be just a 1:1 comic to screen suit adaptation. Maybe if the red on the suit was darker like blood red it would be better. And yeah there isn't a need for the headband either.

Blood red would be an interesting contrast. And the more I thought about the ropes on DD's arms, the more I realized that we had somewhat of a similar thing with.

muay-thai-ropes-dare-devil.jpg

I think the comic variant was too bulky, but this one looks streamlined and fits with the motif of the overall costume. Would definitely like to see red muay thai ropes.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Not a direct rival the way he is with Daredevil.

When Norman Osborn had his team of Dark Avengers (and Thunderbolts-style had a bunch of villains posing as heroes), he had Bullseye dressed up as Hawkeye.

3iaksjuNvLRP7yLu5TpUaK.jpg
ah interesting, so I guess this whole copycat thing was also from the comics. I didn't know that either. But yeah, the fact that the character was in these anti-hero teams in the comics is more reason to bring the Netflix version back and have Valentina recruit him.
Blood red would be an interesting contrast. And the more I thought about the ropes on DD's arms, the more I realized that we had somewhat of a similar thing with.

muay-thai-ropes-dare-devil.jpg

I think the comic variant was too bulky, but this one looks streamlined and fits with the motif of the overall costume. Would definitely like to see red muay thai ropes.
you mean the comic book version of this black suit? I actually don't remember him having ropes around his forearms at all the last time I saw a picture of it. It was more similar to S1 which is the same here just without the ropes. and also in S3 it looks like he has another layer of a mask under the black one

3f30d4a40cadcdd625e96efee9fe2589._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
you mean the comic book version of this black suit? I actually don't remember him having ropes around his forearms at all the last time I saw a picture of it. It was more similar to S1 which is the same here just without the ropes. and also in S3 it looks like he has another layer of a mask under the black one

Oh no, I was talking about the comic black suit with the red rope arms and red headband covering the eyes, if that was to be translated into live action. I thought the ropes would look too bulky in translation to live-action, but the show pulled that off masterfully. The red rope would look just as amazing IMO.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
also relevant to this I guess

Oh no, I was talking about the comic black suit with the red rope arms and red headband covering the eyes, if that was to be translated into live action. I thought the ropes would look too bulky in translation to live-action, but the show pulled that off masterfully. The red rope would look just as amazing IMO.
oh okay, sorry I misunderstood but yes I think the same thing. If the MCU's new suit was an evolution of sorts from what we saw in the show and also incorporates this black suit with red ropes from the comics then I think we have ourselves the right look for Daredevil coming back