• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
'Mad' Mike Hughes is believed to possibly be dead after launching himself in the air with a self-made rocket that crash-landed -- and it was captured on camera.

The well-known daredevil and amateur rocket-engineer was doing a rocket launch Saturday in what appears to be near Barstow, CA -- where a reporter says Mike propelled himself into the air with a "self-made steam-powered rocket" and then crash-landed into the ground.

www.tmz.com

Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes Dead at 64 After Rocket Crash Landing

'Mad' Mike Hughes is believed to be dead after crash landing in a self-made rocket he launched himself in.
The parachute came off the rocket right away and there was no secondary parachute if the first failed

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the guy who swore he'd launch himself in his own rocket so he could personally "verify" that the earth is flat?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Wile E Coyote'd

Edit:
Just watched the video and this is entirely accurate
The parachute fell out at launch and everything.
How'd this guy not think he was going to end up as a skid mark in the desert?

Last edited:

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i dont get it, it was supposed to go 62 miles up? shit wasnt even close, didnt they test this at all?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.tmz.com

Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes Dead at 64 After Rocket Crash Landing

'Mad' Mike Hughes is believed to be dead after crash landing in a self-made rocket he launched himself in.
The parachute came off the rocket right away and there was no secondary parachute if the first failed
What's even more crazy about the crash is that it may have been getting filmed for a new TV show Mike is a part of in partnership with the Discovery Channel. The show's called "Homemade Astronauts," and it's set to launch sometime in 2020.

Second time I know of where someone died horribly filming a Discovery channel pilot

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this guy, and thinking that his death in this way was inevitable. Sad for friends and family, and I feel very sorry for the camera crew that may have been there.

Oct 26, 2017
Flat Earther or not, that dude was a fuckin badass trying a stunt like that. Stupid, but badass. May he fly high in the next realm.

Also, that video is absolutely horrifying.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
What an awful thing to watch. I wish they could have talked him out of doing that.

Nov 1, 2017
Not the first idiot to kill himself, won't be the last. Reminds me of that guy who had his wife shoot him thinking a phone book would block the bullet for those yummy youtube hits!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a legit dick for laughing.

For real though, RIP.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What was the first?

I can think of the flying squirrel suit guy connected to Discovery, but I don't think his was related to a pilot.

In 2012 Bernstein's wife and business manager Terry Flanell, was accidentally killed during the filming of a promotional piece for a new Discovery Channel reality show featuring Bernstein and his crew, called "Dragon Land".[2] Flanell was struck by two smoke bombs travelling at 150 mph during a special-effects smoke scene.[6] Bernstein and a family member filed a wrongful death suit in Federal court against Discovery Channel parent Discovery Communications and Anthropic Productions Corp. The case was later dropped.[9][10

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The part of the Earth he hit is now flat.

Not going to watch that video. Feel bad for any family he has. Dumb way to go.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit harsh to be making jokes about his death but it was an incredibly, incredibly stupid way to go out. Just wow.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You hope that he at least managed to see the curvature of the Earth before he died
Imagine realizing in your final moments that the one thing you thought make you unique and insightful among your peers was bogus and the mundane reality was the truth all along, seconds before crashing down into the earth

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Damn, that's a shitty way to die. RIP, I feel for his family. May he look down on Earth's very curved surface from heaven

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Has this dude done anything deplorable aside from being scientifically incorrect?
That is a fairly charitable way to frame it, people like flat-earthers erode faith in science and institutions based around science like medicine. Flat-earth, anti-vax, and climate change denial are within the same venn diagram. It's not just being incorrect, it's denying fundamental truth and promoting that denial even in the face of being proven wrong.

Last edited:

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine realizing in your final moments that the one thing you thought make you unique and insightful among your peers was bogus and the mundane reality was the truth all along, seconds before crashing down into the earth

From that video screenshot, it looks like a cloudy ass day. So I have to assume he didn't see anything. If there were complications or mechanical problems, he probably went full panic mode. Bad way to go.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone this desperate to confirm curve with your eyes you can buy a flight to 60,000 feet in a Russian fighter. It's about $14,000 if you go through some training and pilot it yourself. Not sure how much it would be as just a passenger.
Fighter canopies are designed for maximum visibility and minimum distortion so it would probably be pretty spectacular.