• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Garland makes this a must see.

I'll admit I haven't seen the previous two films, but will rectify that soon.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
With how quickly the virus spreads and burns out, wouldn't 28 months be enough time to be post-post-apocalyptic? Actually I guess the start of Weeks was post-post-apocalyptic already.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, read the article and there isn't THAT much to be excited about tbh:

"He's concentrating on directing his own work at the moment, so it's stood in abeyance really, but it's a you-never-know."

So, basically "We have some good ideas but aren't working on it." Same as always, really.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Both of them working together, I'm in. Lets go.
edit: Oh yes, that last bit about Garland doing his own thing...
Well Boyle, call the man up and ask then :P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
First one was awesome, second one not so much. Will watch this anyway. Boyle and Garland seems like a good combo.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
FUCKING YES

28 days later is one of my favourite films of all time, watched it dozens of times as a teenager.

28 weeks later isn't as good but it still a lot of fun to see what happened afterward and takes place in an awesome world.

Excited for the possibilities of this, especially with Garland - wonder if there is any chance it's set in Paris or New York?

If I remember rightly that's the only places they had heard of the infection spreading to before the communications went down?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
The first one is so freaking good, and the 2nd is such a mess that I'm not sure I need a third. There were a lot of things to like about #2, but the bad was so bad that it outweighed the good.

Oct 27, 2017
With how quickly the virus spreads and burns out, wouldn't 28 months be enough time to be post-post-apocalyptic? Actually I guess the start of Weeks was post-post-apocalyptic already.
I was just thinking the same thing — I haven't seen it in a while but I'm pretty sure the second film made it clear the zombies didn't have a long expectancy and died out after a while.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I named it "28 months later" just because it's kind of a fan tittle that has been running for a while now.

What will it be called, we will know someday.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Garland is a National treasure. His Halo script was extremely tight and well paced although I think he'd write something extremely different today- especially Cortana.

Alex Garland lists Tempest 2000 and Jet Set Willy among his favorite games so he's automatically a good person.

Oct 31, 2017
28 Days and Weeks later are fucking gems. I'm ready for this.

EDIT: Reading the article it doesn't say anything about the movie being in the works except that he has a wonderful idea for it. OP why you do this to me?

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Where's another Dredd, Alex?

28 Days Later got me into horror films (though it's more of a drama).

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I was just thinking the same thing — I haven't seen it in a while but I'm pretty sure the second film made it clear the zombies didn't have a long expectancy and died out after a while.

Mainland Europe was probably fucked at the end of 28 Weeks, but North & South America were probably still safe. Likely a new movie will change the infection rate in order to make the virus more likely to cross the ocean. If the infected learn how to fly planes, I'm out.

Edit- It's also worth nothing that they aren't zombies in the traditional sense. I took it in 28 weeks later that the infected were dying because their very human bodies were succumbing to lack of food and/or water. The infected aren't un-dead, they're just raged out, but they still need to eat and drink...but I don't think they have the mental capacity to fill a glass with water.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Hasn't this been sitting in limbo forever? I would've thought the zombie craze fading away ended up killing this for good.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
i hope they can formulate a happy ending. these fucking movies are so grim

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't count how many time I watched 28 weeks later, but it totally shocked me when I was little

I want the siblings back for the sequel

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news. I'll be honest, considering the past few films by each filmmaker, I'd be extra happy if Garland was writing and directing. I don't know what's up with Danny Boyle lately, but he's incredibly hit or miss.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying, you are getting a lot of people's hopes up with that OP title and falsely so if you actually read what Boyle said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I did read before posting. So what? They are talking and have ideas, that qualifies as "working on". I never said it's being filmed already.

Oct 27, 2017
Mainland Europe was probably fucked at the end of 28 Weeks, but North & South America were probably still safe. Likely a new movie will change the infection rate in order to make the virus more likely to cross the ocean. If the infected learn how to fly planes, I'm out.

Edit- It's also worth nothing that they aren't zombies in the traditional sense. I took it in 28 weeks later that the infected were dying because their very human bodies were succumbing to lack of food and/or water. The infected aren't un-dead, they're just raged out, but they still need to eat and drink...but I don't think they have the mental capacity to fill a glass with water.
- Yeh this is pretty much what the film makes out. The outbreak isn't a thing that could last forever, because they a) weren't really undead b) don't reproduce outside of infecting others c) aren't sustained by any supernatural means and would succumb to starvation / bodily harm / deterioration.

Unless they are planning on retconning some of that then I'm not sure how they play it out as a natural extension of the first two films.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
- Yeh this is pretty much what the film makes out. The outbreak isn't a thing that could last forever, because they a) weren't really undead b) don't reproduce outside of infecting others c) aren't sustained by any supernatural means and would succumb to starvation / bodily harm / deterioration.

Unless they are planning on retconning some of that then I'm not sure how they play it out as a natural extension of the first two films.
I like the "small" scale of the outbreak in the first two movies and hope they don't overdo it with the 3rd. I'd like to see a movie set in universe where competent governments have managed to hold a line somewhere in central Europe. It's a tenuous line, but after two years of conflict the infected are beginning to dwindle in numbers after France was overrun in a matter of weeks. But I'm not sure where the tension would come from. So I see them reconning the infection and introducing a mutation- sort of like they did in 28 Weeks.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
28 Days Later is a masterpiece.

28 Weeks Later had me so hyped... but it was really disappointing. Even though it was extremely frustrating and generic, the OPENING gave me 100% of the vibes 28 Days Later did to the point that I just kind of consider the opening prologue a short film and ignore the rest.
tumblr_p4rvimgRka1qi26lwo2_500.gif

What a waste of Robert Carlyle.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much of a threat a virus that can burn itself out through starvation is. The fact that Robert Carlyle singe handily caused the outbreak in the second film was already ridiculous to me. Like there were zero guards or eyeballs on that room, come on.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
The opening of 28 Weeks is legit amazing. The movie also did a good job of depicting the military response once the virus breaks out again. But everything else in between was stupid as hell.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It burned out in days because infected can't swim and the virus is too fast acting for infected people to bring it across. It was limited to the island, basically. In weeks that kid was a carrier and spread it to Paris so there's no telling how far it'll go

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
When I'm in charge of the just recently zombie cleansed London, I also leave the only infected person basically unguarded and upon the first hints of zombie activity I put thousands of panicky people into a dimly lit parking garage with few exits. That's simply how I operate.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It burned out in days because infected can't swim and the virus is too fast acting for infected people to bring it across. It was limited to the island, basically. In weeks that kid was a carrier and spread it to Paris so there's no telling how far it'll go

It was burned out everywhere outside of London. Remember London was safe because they managed to get a quarantine and defensive perimeter set up. Robert Carlyle causes the second outbreak when he kisses his carrier wife.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm in charge of the just recently zombie cleansed London, I also leave the only infected person basically unguarded and upon the first hints of zombie activity I put thousands of panicky people into a dimly lit parking garage with few exits. That's simply how I operate.
How dare you question Idris Elba's methods. He canceled the apocalypse!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was burned out everywhere outside of London. Remember London was safe because they managed to get a quarantine and defensive perimeter set up. Robert Carlyle causes the second outbreak when he kisses his carrier wife.
I meant at the end of 28 weeks later, it spread to Paris.

It wasn't an epidemic in the first movie because they couldn't leave the UK and starved to death