• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You can't "Minecraft came from space/Hatsune Mike created it" with Harry Potter because:

1) Harry Potter is still owned by JK Rowling while Minecraft is no longer in Notch hands
2) Minecraft is the textbook definition of an "apolitical game" since it really doesn't show the creators point of view, or anything at all, everything is created by the player, meanwhile, Harry Potter is totally related to JK Rowling thoughts, so even though there is no explicit transphobia on it, you could still find things that could be problematic if you dig some on it (like that 4chan post)
For example

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Dan has always been one of my favorite actors so I'm very glad to hear his statement, which frankly, is beautifully put.

If you haven't seen him in anything since Harry Potter, check out Swiss Army Man with him and Paul Dano. Absurd and unsettling, but I loved every second of it.

Horns is also a really cool movie based on A book by Stephen King's son.

I think the rumors of him playing Moon Knight were debunked, but man oh man I would love to see him in the MCU

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Did Rowling say something hateful again recently, or is this a general reaction to her horrible opinions?

Whatever happened or didn't happen: Good on Radcliffe, that's a very well written statement.

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see him buzz in on this. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. "In" just so happens to be his favorite direction in which to buzz.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
That's one good statement - very impressed with it. Wonder if JK will try to sue Daniel now?

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Dan is great, this is an exemplary response.

Since we're pretending he wrote HP we can also pretend Hermione ended up with Harry...right? Right guys?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Rowling can get fucked.
And while I can enjoy MC because it came from space, I sadly can't do such thing with this.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Class act. It's gonna be a while until I can enjoy the Harry Potter movies again, but this certainly cut some time off that wait.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Slight point that would have made this better. He should have also mentioned trans men as that's the group JK tried to invalidate with some of her shitty comments. I feel like trans men are always left out when it comes to talking about trans issues. Please think about and mention them too.

Dec 2, 2017
Glinner continues to be a vile piece of shit

103961327_1191102077948864_2814541473591562335_n.jpg

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Daniel Radcliffe was my first celebrity crush and I've never been more proud of that than right now!

May 26, 2018
Glinner continues to be a vile piece of shit

103961327_1191102077948864_2814541473591562335_n.jpg

Suppose Daniel Radcliffe is also a misandrist then because Trans Men are Men is probably implied from Daniel's argument, which must mean Daniel despises all mankind (except for the non-binary folk, but let's be real, this dude Graham ain't thinking about them) which means, from Graham's pov, that trans people are not actually human.

Phew. What a lovely human being.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
👏👏👏👏👏

As non-binary I'm applauding.

I'm hoping he's in the running for Wolverine in the MCU. I know he's denying it but so did Brie Larson with CM until the day they announced she was Captain Marvel.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
They're truly awful people and enormous hypocrites, it's true. Rowling mentioned one of her friends as a self-described butch lesbian who was ecstatic at her tweets, so that's the clue that it's them.

There's a whole lot of people in the community (most of them very much White Gays TM) who just want the privilege they think they can snatch now and they really want to dump ace people, trans folk, and bi people currently dating a member of the opposite sex completely because it complicates things in a way they think gets in the way of immediate straight cis acceptance. Once we got Ellen popular in the American midwest and gay marriage, they wanted to hit the breaks. Problems are all solved.

Some people don't want equality for other people. They want to be raised up for the chance to finally be the one to look down on someone else.

They don't want to be empathetic, they don't want liberation or revolution. They want to be part of the mainstream as fast as possible and they're radicalizing a lot of young LGBTQ people to think like them. I see so many young people currently living in small towns without much of a community, whose only exposure to anyone like them is through the internet, being told that the place they think they're going to find acceptance is under attack by these outsiders who are trying to displace them. So much of LGBTQ history has been eradicated through oppressive forces that these kids actually start to buy into the idea that people who have been a part of our community all along are infiltrators denying them a place to call their own.

They honestly use a lot of the alt right tactics of radicalization, constantly talking about lesbians being an oppressed and targeted group who are hated in LGBTQ spaces. They talk endlessly about lesbophobia, claim the words "femme" and "butch" exclusively as lesbian terms that bi women (and gay men supposedly) have no right to ever use in any way. They fixate on creating a cis lesbian history devoid of bi and trans women, and bemoan the idea that everyone else gets to have pride, so why can't they, why must they be silenced, why are they so singularly and uniquely oppressed. It's very much horseshoe theory in action.

And again, I say this as a lesbian. We definitely have unique struggles in the queer community in terms of representation in media -- a lot of queer women are shot for the male gaze or horrifically killed -- and sometimes we are overshadowed by men in the overall struggle, but the same is true of bi women and it's certainly not exclusive to cis lesbians.

Thank you so much for this. I've been seeing shit like this for a while in places like Tumblr and it always frustrated me as a bi girl, so thank you for explaining it so well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't lie, that statement got me pretty emotional. Needed to hear some part of that this morning apparently. Good man, good people.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I wish he'd just shut up.

Dude could have had a legacy of being a very decent writer (I'm watching Black Books at the moment and had no idea he was involved) but he seems absolutely obsessed with this topic.

Black Books, Father Ted and some of the IT Crowd are great (one episode of IT Crowd was very transphobic and I don't find it as funny as Father Ted or Black Books). It's a shame that whenever I watch an episode I have to really try extra hard separate him from the content which makes it more difficult to enjoy.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This guy wrote Harry Potter right? Right.
No he is an actor.

I will not have my daughter read Harry Potter. At least not until she understands what the author stands for.

This is very dissapointing because i thought Harry potter has some powerful messages with the wizarding world slowly accepting "mudbloods" as equals. I always believed that would be a stand-in for all kinds of minorities.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It's a combination of factors stemming from unique political and cultural differences between the US and UK. I am not from the UK but I've done a lot of research on this because it's important to recognize why this happened in order to prevent it from happening here in the US:

1. The UK is extremely racially homogeneous which meant that intersectional feminism never caught on. Most British feminists are still stuck in the 70s with regard to the idea that there exists some kind of universal womanly experience (aka peak White Feminism) which influences their belief that people assigned male at birth cannot be true women because they didn't have the same exact life experience as a cis woman

2. The UK has a strong tradition of "skepticism" towards things that are perceived as anti-science. This likely originated in the 90s as a reaction to the rise of the religious right in the US, with British liberals fearful the same could happen in the UK. As a result many UK intellectuals, feminists, and comedians became ardent defenders of the idea that science can explain everything in life, and strongly opposed to any effort to explain societal problems with "postmodern" thought like the idea that gender is a social construct and not a biological imperative. These same "skeptics" eventually evolved into TERFs in the same way that the American atheist movement became ground zero for the alt-right. It does, of course, go without saying that it is the consensus of the entire medical and scientific community in the Western world that trans people are normal, healthy individuals who are the gender they say they are. TERFs claim these doctors and scientists have been paid off, the same way climate scientists supposedly have

3. Many people in the UK are heavily influenced by the British tabloid media, which operates off salacious, inflammatory, and false stories about sexually "deviant" subjects. It's sort of like if 75% of the US got their news from Youtube channels that think Captain Marvel is a cultural Marxist plot or something

4. The UK has a complicated relationship with "pedo panic" and the idea that there exist massive secret underground cults of pedophiles finding new and inventive ways to abuse children. There is unfortunately an obvious truth to the idea that abuse of children goes unnoticed, but the UK is practically a QAnon country in terms of thinking pedos are lurking around every corner waiting to abuse your kids. "Pedo panic" has historically been used to attack LGBT people and others who do not conform to heteronormative society

5. UK feminism is heavily influenced by a particular strain of 80s feminism that was very misandrist and virulently anti-male. These movements consisted of groups like "lesbian supremacists" and "female separatists," basically the female equivalent of MGTOWs or MRAs in the modern US. The "man-hating feminist" trope originated with these people whose views were shouted down in the US but unfortunately caught on among British women in the UK. They are obsessed with the idea that men are trying to control them, destroy them, and infiltrate their spaces, which is why they are so viciously hateful towards trans women

6. There is an extremely popular UK parenting forum called Mumsnet that, for various reasons, became infested with transphobes within the last 5-10 years. The site is basically 4chan for middle-aged white women. They go online to look for tips about changing diapers and instead find dozens of threads about how trans women want to rape their kids, which causes them to become radicalized the same way that young white men in the US are radicalized by Youtube videos
I'm checking out that mumsnet website in your point 6 and holy shit you are not kidding. 4chan for middle-aged white women is a very apt comparaison. https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens...nds-to-J-K-Rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity just pure vitriol about his comment

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm checking out that mumsnet website in your point 6 and holy shit you are not kidding. 4chan for middle-aged white women is a very apt comparaison. https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens...nds-to-J-K-Rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity just pure vitriol about his comment
www.vice.com

Mumsnet: The UK Forum for Moms Where Feminism Can Mean Transphobia

Mumsnet boasts of its political influence and hosts chats with Hillary Clinton and UK politicians. So how has it become ground zero for British transphobia?

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
What a great statement by Dan.

A class act all round, and this needed to be said at this time.

What a contrast to scum like Rowling and Linehan. I also see that snake Ross trying to backtrack his support of Rowling now.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel is a good boy and I'm glad that even JKR's long-time collaborators are speaking out against her bullshit

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I like his response in general and thank him for his continual contribution to lgbtq causes.

But more importantly, trans men are men, and non binary people are non binary.
Because the original article that made JK's tantrum happen was about 'people who menstruate', a term attempting to be inclusive of trans men and non binary people who menstruate.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I like his response in general and thank him for his continual contribution to lgbtq causes.

But more importantly, trans men are men, and non binary people are non binary.
Because the original article that made JK's tantrum happen was about 'people who menstruate', a term attempting to be inclusive of trans men and non binary people who menstruate.

I agree with this, JKR's attitude does re-enforce the attitude that trans just means trans woman. However I'm sure that D.R. would have included and supported the entire spectrum if JKR wasn't so focused on hating on trans woman.

I actually corrected and 'turned' a woman into a trans ally (at least she gets it now) where I used to work who was a TERF talking about how they supported the rule on not allowing trans woman in women's bathrooms, then I showed her a picture of a trans man and said would she prefer him in her bathroom, and it dawned on her that trans people weren't just trans women, I then went on to explain things further, she felt awful and apologied and from then on she began to become an active trans ally. Then again she was relatively intelligent to begin with and generally was open to new information she was ignorant to.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
or deciding in post that voldemort's pet snake was a korean woman the whole time (who also has a blood curse that transfers only to women because of course the magic in her setting is also gender essentialist).

I want to focus in on this bit because people probably have not seen these movies (which means you're smarter than me) and don't really get how bizarre this thing is in-context. It's not like Nagini is a vital part of the movie in which this is revealed. She's just kinda... there?

Like she really felt the need to introduce the many fucked up aspects of "actually, the snake was totally a korean woman and I uhhh totally planned this the entire time" into her prequels for just about 0 benefit to the movie itself either.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Who the fuck is glinner? And Rowling can continue to eat shit for being a trash human being.
Great statement from Radcliffe.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck is glinner? And Rowling can continue to eat shit for being a trash human being.
Great statement from Radcliffe.

Graham Lineham. Wrote/helped write Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd.

More importantly he is also a horrible person who hates trans issues and the people that support them. If you want to feel angry/depressed have a glance at his Twitter feed. I wouldn't recommend it though.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Graham Lineham. Wrote/helped write Father Ted, Black Books and The IT Crowd.

More importantly he is also a horrible person who hates trans issues and the people that support them. If you want to feel angry/depressed have a glance at his Twitter feed. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Linehan is a true piece of shit. He's psychotically hateful and twisted and completely, utterly obsessed. He's pitiful.

I also thought he was banned from Twitter but sadly it seems I was mistaken. Fuck him.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
It's a combination of factors stemming from unique political and cultural differences between the US and UK. I am not from the UK but I've done a lot of research on this because it's important to recognize why this happened in order to prevent it from happening here in the US:

1. The UK is extremely racially homogeneous which meant that intersectional feminism never caught on. Most British feminists are still stuck in the 70s with regard to the idea that there exists some kind of universal womanly experience (aka peak White Feminism) which influences their belief that people assigned male at birth cannot be true women because they didn't have the same exact life experience as a cis woman

2. The UK has a strong tradition of "skepticism" towards things that are perceived as anti-science. This likely originated in the 90s as a reaction to the rise of the religious right in the US, with British liberals fearful the same could happen in the UK. As a result many UK intellectuals, feminists, and comedians became ardent defenders of the idea that science can explain everything in life, and strongly opposed to any effort to explain societal problems with "postmodern" thought like the idea that gender is a social construct and not a biological imperative. These same "skeptics" eventually evolved into TERFs in the same way that the American atheist movement became ground zero for the alt-right. It does, of course, go without saying that it is the consensus of the entire medical and scientific community in the Western world that trans people are normal, healthy individuals who are the gender they say they are. TERFs claim these doctors and scientists have been paid off, the same way climate scientists supposedly have

3. Many people in the UK are heavily influenced by the British tabloid media, which operates off salacious, inflammatory, and false stories about sexually "deviant" subjects. It's sort of like if 75% of the US got their news from Youtube channels that think Captain Marvel is a cultural Marxist plot or something

4. The UK has a complicated relationship with "pedo panic" and the idea that there exist massive secret underground cults of pedophiles finding new and inventive ways to abuse children. There is unfortunately an obvious truth to the idea that abuse of children goes unnoticed, but the UK is practically a QAnon country in terms of thinking pedos are lurking around every corner waiting to abuse your kids. "Pedo panic" has historically been used to attack LGBT people and others who do not conform to heteronormative society

5. UK feminism is heavily influenced by a particular strain of 80s feminism that was very misandrist and virulently anti-male. These movements consisted of groups like "lesbian supremacists" and "female separatists," basically the female equivalent of MGTOWs or MRAs in the modern US. The "man-hating feminist" trope originated with these people whose views were shouted down in the US but unfortunately caught on among British women in the UK. They are obsessed with the idea that men are trying to control them, destroy them, and infiltrate their spaces, which is why they are so viciously hateful towards trans women

6. There is an extremely popular UK parenting forum called Mumsnet that, for various reasons, became infested with transphobes within the last 5-10 years. The site is basically 4chan for middle-aged white women. They go online to look for tips about changing diapers and instead find dozens of threads about how trans women want to rape their kids, which causes them to become radicalized the same way that young white men in the US are radicalized by Youtube videos

First, I am British and in my forties.

There's a lot here I agree with but some I really think is pushing it or simply not that different to the US (for example, the "paedo panic" thing or try comparing Mumsnet with the AFA). But I would really like to point out that in point 1 you claimed that feminism in the UK is stuck in the 1970s, but then in point 5 you claim UK feminism is heavily influenced by a strain of feminism from the 1980s. These two points are not compatible and makes me severely question the rest of your "research".