• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sony's lack of marketing is the marketing strategy. They want to get their fans' anticipation for PS5 news to a fever pitch. I'm surprised that they shared the details on the controller, but Bloomberg said it was reactionary to get ahead of leaks which makes sense.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cant see MS having a separate event just for the Series X. They have already revealed the specs, controller, console, marquee launch title (Halo Infinite), and other features like quick resume and showcased back compat.

Yes, exactly. I have to say...I'm a bit confused about what the first event is supposed to be? From what I remember with the Xbox One reveals, they had two events because details about the system itself were not out yet. With Series X, we already have all the specs, features, the look, etc. All we're missing is the price and release date as far as the hardware goes.

Personally, I'd rather just have one kick-ass two-hour event where they focus on first & third party games, and also have a segment devoted to the price and release date.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because its factual data. Its not an opinion constructed by biased thinking. The opinions on sonys Marketing and advertising here are completely worthless. You have a lot of people (mostly xbox fans wanting to spread some FUD) who are saying sony are messing up. However, the data and the facts completely suggest otherwise. And that's why its brought up

Sure but I have seen a lot of people who aren't biased or who aren't trying to spread anything who have said they want more. Just because something is getting a lot of Instagram likes doesn't mean it's some master marketing plan.

They don't have to do much to convince the public to buy a PS5 but I guess some people want more clarity or openness

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I cant see MS having a separate event just for the Series X. They have already revealed the specs, controller, console, marquee launch title (Halo Infinite), and other features like quick resume and showcased back compat.

They can do a deep dive into the hardware, the operating system and underlying software - and split the announcements of games they have across two events. Maybe one event focused on third party titles, and another on first party titles - given that they have so many studios now. It's definitely doable to have multiple events.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, exactly. I have to say...I'm a bit confused about what the first event is supposed to be? From what I remember with the Xbox One reveals, they had two events because details about the system itself were not out yet. With Series X, we already have all the specs, features, the look, etc. All we're missing is the price and release date as far as the hardware goes.

Personally, I'd rather just have one kick-ass two-hour event where they focus on first & third party games, and also have a segment devoted to the price and release date.
It's likely more details that haven't been revealed about Series X and possibly fully revealing "Lockheart", likely Series S as well as price and release date. They can also show off a couple of "showcase" games too.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Hmm Zhuge knows Sony stuff so I think it's that.

MS already did commit to E3 time frame would this not be counterproductive?
May - consoles and some games releasing at launch or closely after to show gameplay

June - all the other games first and third party. A deeper look at the Xbox slate for the next 5 years

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Because its factual data. Its not an opinion constructed by biased thinking. The opinions on sonys Marketing and advertising here are completely worthless. You have a lot of people (mostly xbox fans wanting to spread some FUD) who are saying sony are messing up. However, the data and the facts completely suggest otherwise. And that's why its brought up
If your here to complain about FUD whooo boy have you not been paying attention all gen because it's been flying everywhere in all directions.

this gens FUD for Xbox:

- Weaker until one x and then power is meaningless
- games don't really matter unless they are the right type of game. Where are their answers to the mature narrative structure even
- xcloud will kill your game consoleand ruin gaming
- gamepass will ruin developers and bankrupt the industry
- ms having a camera and mic in your living room is creepy
- series x and s will hold back next gen because ssd reasons
- series x and s are not bespoke enough and will be to slow and cumbersome for developers
- Microsoft is hurting the industry by not including VR in their next console which apparently if they don't announce now they will never do.

some of the FUD I've seen for Sony:

- the ps5 will catch fire
- all their games follow a similar structure
- Sony are scared of MS which is why they aren't talking
- Andrew house was pushed out because of botched ps5 launch.
- Sony moneybags so much it's hurting the industry.

and the best one I've seen all gen: porting your games to pc doesn't make them special anymore and makes your box pointless because other people who want to buy the game but not buy into a $500 walled garden to access it that only makes the Corp $2 of profit per unit will get to experience the same things you did

Also can we all agree to stop measuring "engagement identifiers" like Instagram posts and tweets, if it's gross for the ESA to chase that for E3 why is it less gross for Sony to chase that in the face of an aenemic ps5 marketing campaign?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Tom Phillips seems to be suggesting more spaced out announcements due to delays from COVID rather than earlier announcements with a heavy implication a lot of E3 announcements would be delayed past the original E3 deadline.

I guess Sony or MS could show off the hardware in May but not the games until after when E3 is supposed to be.
Otherwise this rumor makes little sense considering things are getting pushed back rather than forward.

It sounds like both. Some stuff sounds like instead of trying to hit that E3 deadline and also due to COVID, announcements will be later. That said some stuff that may be ready now or soon that initially they would've waited till E3 for exposure purposes, could be revealed as early as next month.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Sony/MS are the obvious guess, but maybe kind of Stadia event too?

Edit: and I wonder to what extent Sony/MS will be managing reveals of games for the new consoles vs letting publishers announce them themselves.

Edit2: ah yeah Microsoft have said that they are planning something for E3 timeframe, so that suggests this is Sony? Interesting times ahead.
I wonder about Stadia. There were already talks about gen 2 already and I'm surprised.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Next-gen console reveals have reportedly shifted in the wake of E3’s cancellation | VGC

“Some are now much earlier, others much later…

"One person with knowledge of Sony's plans told VGC that the company was recently planning to hold its significant PlayStation 5 reveal in May.

Something will happen in May for both.
Even Xbox insiders hint at something happening in May too.

twitter.com

Klobrille on Twitter

“@falcon_715 I think weeks, not months.”

twitter.com

Brad Sams on Twitter

“The Sams Report: In May, You Say? https://t.co/U7y5noX46t”

twitter.com

Jezzle on Twitter

“@kvenagh may be later”

If MS has something planned for May, Sony won't wait longer.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's lack of marketing is the marketing strategy. They want to get their fans' anticipation for PS5 news to a fever pitch. I'm surprised that they shared the details on the controller, but Bloomberg said it was reactionary to get ahead of leaks which makes sense.

How does that even make sense? Anticipation becomes bad or good depending on what's being presented. If Sony doesn't ramp up on marketing and the PS5 turns out to be underwhelming, then anticipation turns into anger and disappointment.

The whole point is to get people talking about your product and what it can do. Playing quiet doesn't help.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
How does that even make sense? Anticipation becomes bad or good depending on what's being presented. If Sony doesn't ramp up on marketing and the PS5 turns out to be underwhelming, then anticipation turns into anger and disappointment.

The whole point is to get people talking about your product and what it can do. Playing quiet doesn't help.
Agreed. If Sony wants to build up all this anticipation then they better be ready to deliver what their fans are expecting.

Oct 26, 2017

They can show a lot more. Like OS features, upcoming launch titles aside from Halo Infinite, and other console features. If the reveal was about what's on the black box, then the event should be about what you can do with the Xbox Series X.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
If Sony had something in plan for May it would've been earlier in the month because they were releasing The Last of Us Part II later in the May. Either the event was planned for early May or late July/early August.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation already has the video ready to go, they just have to hit the button.

let's GO May

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'd rather have a steady trickle of infor throughout the year vs a big showcase event anyway. Events like E3 and TGS etc are outdated and no longer needed.
I personally love getting excited like 2-3 times a week with info/announcements throughout the year, whether it's dlc, indies, reviews of big Games, etc

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have a steady trickle of infor throughout the year vs a big showcase event anyway. Events like E3 and TGS etc are outdated and no longer needed.

The problem is that although we (the hardcore group) might enjoy news that endlessly trickles out, there is a large population that simply watches the bigger events and is not interested in constantly checking the news. So it is a balancing act.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also can we all agree to stop measuring "engagement identifiers" like Instagram posts and tweets, if it's gross for the ESA to chase that for E3 why is it less gross for Sony to chase that in the face of an aenemic ps5 marketing campaign?

We could, but your comparison is not right. Of course social media data is not an accurate representation of how sales will be. But it does show overall engagement with a large margin of error. The difference is huge though. I don't think Sony is chasing it though, it just happens. They release info, wherever they put it, it blows up. A comparable situation would be if Sony's E3 booth would attract 3 times more visitors.

It reminds of that clothing brand that at one point released a brick with their logo just to see if people would buy it. And they did, it sold out. People are thirsty, and that's what social media shows. If they end up buying, that's not sure.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why everyone is assuming doom and gloom from Sony just because the reveal this time is different. Nintendo revealing the Switch 2 months before release was something they hadn't done, but clearly the Switch is a resounding success.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
If we're getting some next-gen showcase games at these events, does that mean we can FINALLY get some more Cyberpunk 2077 content?!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If Sony is revealing the PS5 soon-ish in May, brought forward because of COVID-19, this doesn't really match Bloomberg's news of the company being forced to change plans, does it? Maybe they planned it for April initially, then because they couldn't make it in time pushed it back of one month and compensated with a last-minute DS reveal?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony is revealing the PS5 soon-ish in May, brought forward because of COVID-19, this doesn't really match Bloomberg's news of the company being forced to change plans, does it? Maybe they planned it for April initially, then because they couldn't make it in time pushed it back of one month and compensated with a last-minute DS reveal?

I had the impression the plans were changed because Sony wanted to hold a press conference E3 style sometime before E3 to get ahead of the news cycle, but can't now due to obviously logistical reasons. Aside from probably making it to a digital event, I think the other thing Sony is contending with is the current news cycle on the Covid. Obviously, you wouldn't want to compete with that as well.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's Keighley's role in all this. Will he host an E3 like event?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I had the impression the plans were changed because Sony wanted to hold a press conference E3 style sometime before E3 to get ahead of the news cycle, but can't now due to obviously logistical reasons. Aside from probably making it to a digital event, I think the other thing Sony is contending with is the current news cycle on the Covid. Obviously, you wouldn't want to compete with that as well.

I don't understand this line of thinking. The PS5 controller got huge attention and so is FFVII R doing well considering. People are if anything on the internet more. There is a huge audience waiting for PS5 / XSX info regardless of Covid.

Also, People only got room in their mind for one thing? I don't think the general public keeping up with Covid news on a daily basis has any functional benefit. Aside from increasing hysteria and mental health issues. I keep up with it at most on a weekly basis and feel I absorb most of relevance - know a lot of doctors and people in public health though, including my bro.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Next-gen showcase huh. I'm guessing Sony, since they will also have first party exclusives in the first few years.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I would very much like to see a good chunk of Halo campaign gameplay, including significant (early) story content, since that was kinda 5's, and to a lesser extent 4's, biggest failing. Something along the lines of, like, half a mission, including the introductory cutscene/story stuff.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
Quality of what? Marketing? At this early stage we only have metrics to really judge, your personal feelings are irrelavant unless you speak for yourself of course.
Let's be sincere here. If Sony tomorrow just posts a '5' on their social media channels they are guaranteed to get hundreds of thousands of likes. That's just the power of the PS brand. It doesn't reflect any ingenuity in Sony's marketing strategy really.

If the marketing strategies and reveals were reversed, Microsoft would be getting slaughtered on social media and here as well. That's why Microsoft are being so proactive and transparent. They have everything to prove.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand this line of thinking. The PS5 controller got huge attention and so is FFVII R doing well considering. People are if anything on the internet more. There is a huge audience waiting for PS5 / XSX info regardless of Covid.

Also, People only got room in their mind for one thing? I don't think the general public keeping up with Covid news on a daily basis has any functional benefit. Aside from increasing hysteria and mental health issues. I keep up with it at most on a weekly basis and feel I absorb most of relevance - know a lot of doctors and people in public health though, including my bro.

I think it's more anecdotal for me, but when the lockdown started here initially, the media cycle focused on the effects of Covid on the economy and how everyone can transition in to a new normal. Social media were also concerned about that and it took a while for things to cool off. Internet was spotty in a lot of areas too but now it's been fixed, so more people are tuning in to livestreams now than a month ago. I think everyone's eased off now that we're a month in to our lockdown and everyone has had their situation fixed (DS5 did get a lot of traction here). It's hard to figure out if things will start to blow up again like it did a month ago, so some of the marketing teams I've worked with before have been making different plans regarding what happens in the event things start to blow up again. Obviously, it's anecdotal and not comparable to console marketing strat, but they are taking in to account Covid news in to their strat plans and I can think Sony is doing the same.

Honestly though, with how things seem to be lax now, if any of the console makers released some info now, I think it'd get a lot of traction.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had to change plans because they were afraid of controller leaks. They might well have wanted to wait until later in the year for a blowout but plans change

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more anecdotal for me, but when the lockdown started here initially, the media cycle focused on the effects of Covid on the economy and how everyone can transition in to a new normal. Social media were also concerned about that and it took a while for things to cool off. Internet was spotty in a lot of areas too but now it's been fixed, so more people are tuning in to livestreams now than a month ago. I think everyone's eased off now that we're a month in to our lockdown and everyone has had their situation fixed (DS5 did get a lot of traction here). It's hard to figure out if things will start to blow up again like it did a month ago, so some of the marketing teams I've worked with before have been making different plans regarding what happens in the event things start to blow up again. Obviously, it's anecdotal and not comparable to console marketing strat, but they are taking in to account Covid news in to their strat plans and I can think Sony is doing the same.

Honestly though, with how things seem to be lax now, if any of the console makers released some info now, I think it'd get a lot of traction.

OT: Which I think is fine. It is interesting to try and distinguish between what might actually be relevant to thinking about the virus itself, and even help with mitigating its' effects, and all sorts of other stuff that people correlate with the virus, but are actually just social / cultural responses that don't necessarily follow. Super confusing times we live in. It is not unlikley that far more people may die as indirect effects of the virus rather than direct...Which is cultural / political, and doesn't follow from the virus itself. Too much reaction, not even pre-adaption. Probably because our societies are so shite at long term planning.

Anyway, super excited for next gen news!!

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I just ask that them don't announce those events too far in advance because once we know the date time seems to slow down.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Or you know, you could just wait and see? Everything in-engine so far has looked far beyond what we've seen this generation. It's kinda weird that you're trying to undermine a game we've basically seen nothing of.
I'm just being realistic.

Every crossgen game that will soon start coming out on nextgen consoles [especially those that feature crossgen crossplay] will have same limitation like current games of today. The game will have to run on base Xbox One and have the mission structure, AI routines, and number of enemies [and other things] that can run on that machine. That's the foundation that forms the basic gameplay for all platforms. Players on base xbox one, xbox one x, series x and PC will be able to play together both singleplayer and MP, and all will feel those base limitations. And not only the gameplay has to be identical on all platforms, rendering of certain visual elements will have to be optimized to be consistent on all platforms, like in MP where consistent asset LODs/effects&lightning quality need to ensure that neither platform has the advantage for lets say spotting opposing players at large distances.

IMO, expect a well made FPS game for Xbox One that will have a very expensive AAA polish pass for PC and Series X. We've already seen the asset quality of the SeriesX version in that short single-room cinematic, and it looked nice.

It's highly likely Halo will be one of, If not the most impressive looking game on next gen on launch compared to games that release on launch and are next gen exclusives.
IMO, that's a bit too optimistic [and unrealistic].

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but I have seen a lot of people who aren't biased or who aren't trying to spread anything who have said they want more. Just because something is getting a lot of Instagram likes doesn't mean it's some master marketing plan.

They don't have to do much to convince the public to buy a PS5 but I guess some people want more clarity or openness

Wanting more is fine. Saying Sony is messing up their marketing campaign because you personally don't like their approach is silly. I don't like their approach either, as I've said in this very thread multiple times, but that doesn't mean they're objectively fucking up their marketing.

Ultimately the true test of whether they have or not will be in reactions to the PS5 once it's fully revealed and of course how it ends up selling initially. However, as sentiment and awareness are the key factors in any initial marketing campaign, we can look at PS5 so far and conclude that their marketing hasn't been bad or detrimental to product or brand awareness.

The same goes for Microsoft for that matter.

Let's be sincere here. If Sony tomorrow just posts a '5' on their social media channels they are guaranteed to get hundreds of thousands of likes. That's just the power of the PS brand. It doesn't reflect any ingenuity in Sony's marketing strategy really.

If the marketing strategies and reveals were reversed, Microsoft would be getting slaughtered on social media and here as well. That's why Microsoft are being so proactive and transparent. They have everything to prove.

Brand power and product marketing aren't mutually exclusive. Defaulting to 'but they would have got those numbers regardless' is lazy argument that I keep seeing repeated here. The fact is that what they've done so far hasn't been detrimental to initial awareness or sentiment surrounding the product. Therefore, how can anyone say definitively that their marketing has been bad?