• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how Sony and Ms will work with co-marketing partners that they'd normally get on stage for a chunk of time?

woukd they try and have them during a recorded stream, or would the partners just do their own thing?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yes, bu they're breaking every record so is it fair to say that their marketing department is doing the best work?

It's fair to say the PS4 is an extremely popular and successful console that has sold over 100 million units, and thus any news about the successor to the PS4 is inherently going to garner a ton of hearts, or likes, or whatever the kids are giving things these days.

ResetEra itself is a microcosm of this. A thread about the PS5's controller will garner 140+ pages of fan engagement in a week. Why? Because Sony have over twice the marketshare and mindshare Xbox has right now. Lots of fans, lots of chatter.

Hence Sony could post a logo, and it'll break records or whatever. Not really a reflection of whether the marketing folks are knocking it out of the park, either way.

But as I type this I've also realized I don't really care about this debate at all, so I'll end it here, lol. Debating which corporation is selling you their new widget the slickest is just... man. I think I need to go outside and look at nature for a bit, haha.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Curious how Sony and MS will work with co-marketing partners that they'd normally get on stage for a chunk of time?

woukd they try and have them during a recorded stream, or would the partners just do their own thing?
Handle it like Nintendo does for third-party companies in their Directs. We've already seen this with Sony's State of Play streams.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news but I feel sorry for this guy. Hasn't he tried to distance himself from this site for a while now?

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has been killing it with messaging, so I don't expect them to let up.
Yep. But i feel Sony will capitalise on MS going early. Sony's digital event will already be produced and they will press the upload button the minute MS event finishes. Sony know that anything they do will drown out any "messaging" by MS.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Lmao don't pay attention to the backlash from hyping up a college lecture just look at the IG likes 😂
People are gonna lose interest eventually if Sony keeps taking the piss and dripfeeding tidbits of info. Xbox's marketing has been much MUCH better overall.

I highly doubt Sony is gonna lose so much mindshare given they've always been the market leaders in every gen besides last, and any news they drop gets a lot of buzz and attention. That controller design spread like wildfire. And lets some people lose interest, once the game trailers drop, people who lost interest will very likely be brought back into the hype

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If early May for Microsoft is true I can see Sony revealing PS5 design in early May too

They would steal all the thunder from MS with that, considering the reception the controller got

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Next-gen console reveals have reportedly shifted in the wake of E3’s cancellation | VGC

“Some are now much earlier, others much later…

VGC said:
One person with knowledge of Sony's plans told VGC that the company was recently planning to hold its significant PlayStation 5 reveal in May.

However, the firm has recently seen the COVID-19 pandemic disrupt its plans, including the release of The Last of Us 2, and so it's unclear whether it will go ahead with its original marketing plans.

It's also been claimed Microsoft is planning reveals for May, in addition to a digital E3 showcase, which matches with what VGC has been told.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. But i feel Sony will capitalise on MS going early. Sony's digital event will already be produced and they will press the upload button the minute MS event finishes. Sony know that anything they do will drown out any "messaging" by MS.

Nobody is going early. I honestly don't think either company needs to react to the other... the people who want the info will get it regardless of who goes first.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Since the game will have to run on base xbox, don't expect miracles. It will look like a currentgen game that has a nice PC port.

And expect to meet limitations not only with the game design [all combat scenarios will have to run on xbox one], but also other things [like waiting for your coop partners to load the game on slow laptop hard drives].
Or you know, you could just wait and see? Everything in-engine so far has looked far beyond what we've seen this generation. It's kinda weird that you're trying to undermine a game we've basically seen nothing of.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Well, if we get a nice spread from May to launch of the consoles, I won't miss E3 at all. Hit me weekly/monthly with the goods.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the game will have to run on base xbox, don't expect miracles. It will look like a currentgen game that has a nice PC port.

And expect to meet limitations not only with the game design [all combat scenarios will have to run on xbox one], but also other things [like waiting for your coop partners to load the game on slow laptop hard drives].
You're vastly underestimating the amount of resources and years that have been poured into Halo Infinite despite being cross gen relative to next gen launch exclusives. It's highly likely Halo will be one of, If not the most impressive looking game on next gen on launch compared to games that release on launch and are next gen exclusives.

Likewise with Cyberpunk 2077.

Likewise with The Last of US 2.

Dec 31, 2017
No. They've been saying this a while and each time it reads like they want Sony to slap their dick about Phil's face
Because we all know this is a game right and companies pre-record digital events like that and wait for the opponent to reveal first to then strike back.... Not like they are each following their own timeline.

There is no battle for stealing the opponent's thunder or drowning them with you own messaging, this thread reads like kids at grade school arguing console wars!

Jun 23, 2019

tenor.gif

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
E3 would have been like less than two months away anyways....so much earlier would mean, like, in a couple weeks then or something? Lol.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Phillips seems to be suggesting more spaced out announcements due to delays from COVID rather than earlier announcements with a heavy implication a lot of E3 announcements would be delayed past the original E3 deadline.

I guess Sony or MS could show off the hardware in May but not the games until after when E3 is supposed to be.
Otherwise this rumor makes little sense considering things are getting pushed back rather than forward.