• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Microsoft to reverse a poor decision. The Gamepass roadmap is clear and it's clear they're executing it; how quickly they get to where they want to be is the question.

Glad to see they're looking at more acquisitions too. Keep buying. The more content, the better.

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, Microsoft absolutely needs to look at diversifying their output of they want Gamepass to succeed. They've been doing a bit of that with all the acquisitions, but there's still a ton of niche's that aren't being catered to.

They're are looking for at having more "casual content with a broad appeal" / "E-rated content" it seems. Phil last October:

In an interview with Game Reactor, the Xbox boss revealed that he believes there is a massive gap in the Xbox portfolio, one that appeals to the E-rated market that Xbox has consistently shrugged away in favour of Gears and Halo.

"If we look at what people are playing on Xbox, what Game Pass subscribers are playing, I think what is missing from our portfolio is casual content with a broad appeal," Spencer revealed.

"E-rated content (to use an ESRB rating) is not a strength for us. We obviously have Minecraft and we have some other franchises. But when I think about expanding the creative palette that our teams have, I think that is critically important."

mspoweruser.com

Xbox “needs” more E-rated titles, says Xbox boss

Xbox's reputation as the console brand for mature rated games has been an important part of the console's image for a long time, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer is l

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to keep batting your ideas back (because I realise how annoying that is!) but both of these already exist...

Every game on Game Pass has a 10-20% discount to buy for subscribers (depending on how long it's been on the service) and that extends to all DLC/MTX too.

Game Pass Perks (a feature of Game Pass, as the name suggests!) regularly give free items and stuff away. We got free stuff for Smite, Forza Horizon 4, Warframe, PSO2 etc recently with it. It's a good perk! Spellbreak is giving their whole Chapter 1 battle pass away to Game Pass Ultimate subs at the moment.

I get your point though; added value to make people want to sub to GP over just Gold. Maybe part of that is marketing these perks better.
I honestly didn't know that! Thank you for helping me understand! Yeah, they should market that stuff much better.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Microsoft has one BIG advantage over Sony in this scenario. Financial might. So, MS is right to acquire well known IP to bolster their service. Why would MS care about Sony?

Also they could just be trying the nintendo/PlayStation approach which is having a strong lineup of first party IP that can't be played anywhere else. The question is have they conceded the hardware market to Sony and Nintendo?

The traditional model isn't the future. Big companies acquiring third party publishers makes the console less viable.

Interesting times ahead. It seems that Amazon and Google also want content. The days where you could play everything on one platform are about to end, now the war for content and exclusivities has begun.
I wonder how companies more focused on a traditional model will resist, if the subscription services succeed many of their sales will surely plummet.

I don't see much of a future for companies focused on the traditional model.

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
They can keep their investments in Game Pass, but they shouldn't bet the farm on it. If they want more revenue, then they can do what Sega did all those years ago and just go multiplatform.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Yeah, those are the challenges MS faces. How do they attract more people when the promotions are gone. A good poll question methinks lol. "Are you willing to pay $180 a year for gamepass ultimate?"
Right now? Most people would, but some wouldn't.

But when Starfield/Halo/Wolfenstein 3/Forza/Indiana Jones start dropping day one there, that's when they will drop the Gold convertion, because value will be more obvious (thanks to the AAA games at launch) and people will be more accepting of the standard price. Again, it's called freebie marketing.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a novel idea:

Build your own rich and diverse IP stable over the twenty years you've been in the industry, rather than squandering first party efforts again and again and again.

Maybe then we wouldn't need to have an industry threatened by consolidation and a one-track mind for trying to be Netflix.

I'm happy to have Game Pass. I'm not happy AT ALL that this means Microsoft wants to consolidate to make it sustainable. I'd rather lose game pass than continue down this path, and yesterday's event was a giant red flag of the lengths they are willing to go if the consumer can stomach it. It backfired once. Will it backfire when they've acquired half the industry, or will we be locked in?
Everyone Microsoft acquired were either already heavily associated with the brand or wanted to be bought. Those that wanted to be bought were either always going to get acquired like Zenimax or close down and the talent would get picked up at random.

That is how the market is and those realities would still exist even if Microsoft had a strong first party anyway.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
I guess Netflix is going out of business because the first month is free, too. Good luck getting three months for a dollar after your three months run out, it was a temporary offer. It's called freebie marketing and every company does it nowadays.

That's the point though. I won't be subscribing for more than a dollar lol

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They can keep their investments in Game Pass, but they shouldn't bet the farm on it. If they want more revenue, then they can do what Sega did all those years ago and just go multiplatform.
They are doing just that in every conceivable way possible without actually going away as a platform themselves. Nintendo and Sony excluded, naturally.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It scares me how fast we are moving towards subscription services becoming the norm. I really don't like the prospect of games becoming service exclusive (you know that's the end goal here) and people being forced to subscribe to services instead of buying the individual games that they want.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I don't know about that. PC is in the best place it has ever been. You get all PC exclusives, almost all 3rd party games (even some console exclusives) and all MS games.
But before you could play all third party on any platform, now you can only do it on PC (If Sony or Nintendo don't start buying Third Party exclusives).

Oct 25, 2017
Annoying when studio acquisition talk leaks into threads. A boiler plate "they're going to continue to acquire IP" something we all know, doesn't really make sense to be in the title of the thread. And you get comments: hurr durr can't wait for the Xbox exclusive jrpg.

Oct 27, 2017
Please Tencent buy whatever the fuck MS is targeting. At least that will give more players the chance to play those games...
Unless of course it's then exclusive to Tencent Cloud Gaming...
These desperate posts always are amusing.

Microsoft is going to acquire more companies, Tencent is going to acquire more companies, Google will acquire more companies, Amazon will acquire more companies.

Nobody is going to gobble them all up but the acquisitions are coming and Microsoft will be ending up with some of them. Gonna have to learn to deal with it.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
To those who are concerned about the consolidation of the market I have some unfortunate news....

There will be more acquisitions.

When industries mature the biggest players buy content or capabilities they don't already have. Why? Because it's quicker than building it organically and if they don't make an acquisition on an available target their competitors will.

So if a hypothetical publisher became available it wouldn't just be MS that would be aware Sony, Amazon, Tencent and Google would be on alert. And if one platform holder doesn't get them one of the others will.

That's the nature of mature industries, that's the nature of capitalism.

Personally out of all of those I would prefer it was Sony or MS doing the acquisition, they both have the best experience in building and running gaming companies without the expectation of immediate revenue or ad based models, they're also not interested in free to play or mobile. For the so called traditional AAA high quality experiences a lot of people here enjoy Sony and MS are the best options.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
That's the point though. I won't be subscribing for more than a dollar lol
Then you are not relevant to the discussion, because you wouldn't subscribe at any price anyway.

And besides, you - generic you, not you specifically - might not subscribe now, but might subscribe in 2022-2023 when stuff like Starfield, Wolfenstein 3, Forza Horizon 5, Indiana Jones, Fable have dropped. Like that's the whole point of acquiring studios, so value is more obvious and people are more willing to subscribe even if they weren't interested in the past.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, the DC universe is vast and rich, they can literally pump out 3-4 different hero games per calendar year among their different studios.
I was imagining Xbox taking maybe just one of their IP's and making it exclusive, but seeing how DC is pretty much only about Batman they could probably get a few of them lol
Possibly, but DC is weird with how they handle their franchises and Disney of late seem to be a lot more open so it kinda makes sense to go in that direction now
Idk, from what we've seen Disney does kind of have a hold on their stuff. We don't really know about Dc because they've kept it all pretty much in house.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see the market research which suggests that upping the price of Gold would convert those remaining users over to GPU, when there are many people who wouldn't benefit from the conversion (the millions of people who only play the yearly installments of CoD/Madden/Fifa/2K/etc., which are not on GamePass), as it would ultimately cost them more to use their Xbox purchase, while they have no desire to change their play habits.

There must have been some such data suggesting that the price raise would work, or else they wouldn't have even tried it.

Jun 15, 2020
Xbox needs to stop acquiring companies left and right and start focusing more on building development teams. And no, they shouldn't be doing both! We need a thriving market with multiple independent third party developers without them being gobbled up to be put on Game Pass.
According to these tweets Game Pass is clearly a long term effort so instead of just assimilating successful third parties to quickly add to the portfolio, they should be developing studios over the long term. Long terms success of Game Pass depends on long terms nourishment of new creative studios.
Just out of curiosity, when someone starts a new studio, where do you think they recruit developers from??? This position has never made sense.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Game Pass has grown at a rate of 5± million subscribers a quarter for the last couple quarters. Tuesday we will likely hear that they have surpassed 20 million subscribers. That seems pretty successful to me.

To sustain growth they are going to need to lean heavily on xCloud. I think converting more and more console users helps bide time while they prep xCloud's migration to XSX, adding support to iOS, adding support to PC, and adding support for streaming to TV.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Console Warring, Antagonism
These desperate posts always are amusing.

Microsoft is going to acquire more companies, Tencent is going to acquire more companies, Google will acquire more companies, Amazon will acquire more companies.

Nobody is going to gobble them all up but the acquisitions are coming and Microsoft will be ending up with some of them. Gonna have to learn to deal with it.

Always fun to take a look at the post history of someone who says something like this. And find a desperate post on a Project Athia thread hoping MS will please buy all these studios because apparently you're salty that the game isn't coming to Xbox/GamePass.

Guess you're gonna have to learn to deal with it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Hate how everything has to be acquired now. In the ps1/ps2 era sony could have bought many due to dominance, but they didn't. Same for Nintendo in some gens.
That's false, because Sony did buy a few developers. I think the biggest reasons we are seeing so many acquisition are those:
  • Budget: During the PS1-2 era it was incredibly cheap to produce games. Thus, many developers would've been fine with selling 100k or 1 Million copies of a game. Many could afford having a few poor performing games here and there. Today? One big fail for a independent developer and they are in trouble. We all are excited for a new generation, however we seem to forget the downside sometimes and that's budget increases and sometimes exploded with those transitions. This comes at a cost and one of those is imo that many independent developers can't justify those budgets anymore.
  • More competition: During the PS2 era, Xbox was starting to get in there and Nintendo was struggling with the GC. Nowadays there are companies like Google, Amazon, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, ... in gaming trying to recruit developers and buying studios.
  • Focus on services: There are more focused on services like PS+, Now, Gold, GP, ... and those need content.

I hope that they don't succeed in any more big publisher acquisitions.
I hear you and wished Bethesda stayed independent. But it was actually Bethesda going out there and offering themselves to get purchased. If you were Microsoft would you have said:

"Nah, thanks for offering all the studios. But we don't want to purchase you and why you don't try to talk to Nintendo, Sony, Amazon, ... next?"

I don't know if it makes a difference for you, but for me knowing that Zenimax actively searching for someone to purchase them, changes things. It wasn't the big cooperation trying to convince them and the fact Zenimax searched for someone, means that nobody purchasing them wasn't option. So the question becomes who is the least bad option to purchase them?...
Xbox needs to stop acquiring companies left and right and start focusing more on building development teams
Building own teams takes years and they are actually building new teams inside the studios bought. Then there is also the fact that none of the studios purchases were hostile takeovers. They wanted to be bought.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Xbox needs to stop acquiring companies left and right and start focusing more on building development teams. And no, they shouldn't be doing both! We need a thriving market with multiple independent third party developers without them being gobbled up to be put on Game Pass.
According to these tweets Game Pass is clearly a long term effort so instead of just assimilating successful third parties to quickly add to the portfolio, they should be developing studios over the long term. Long terms success of Game Pass depends on long terms nourishment of new creative studios.

Long term leaves the door open for the competition. Had Google come in with their pocket book instead of building studios Stadia might be more of a contender right now.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
This all seems logical. What they should have done is slowly raise the price (as opposed to doubling it) while offsetting the negative PR with ancillary announcements (FTP games no longer need paid XBL). This is what Netflix has been doing for years. A sudden onset doubling of price would never have worked.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would MS need to force gold subscribers to switch to GPU if the "value" is so overwhelmingly great and full price subs are increasing exponentially.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I remain a bit puzzled that they didn't throw in a trial for Game Pass with every Series X and especially Series S.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It scares me how fast we are moving towards subscription services becoming the norm. I really don't like the prospect of games becoming service exclusive (you know that's the end goal here) and people being forced to subscribe to services instead of buying the individual games that they want.

Personally, I'm absolutely loving it. Just as subscriptions managed to reignite my passion for music and television through ease of access, diversity of choice, and palatable cost of entry - Game Pass is having a similar impact on my gaming habits. Until recently, I was slowly starting to think that my love for gaming had all but dissipated, but I've put in the most hours gaming I have in quite a while over the last year and a half due to Game Pass - and have loved games I would have otherwise not even experienced due to games not having an up front cost per title.

Deleted member 86306

Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Then you are not relevant to the discussion, because you wouldn't subscribe at any price anyway.

Aren't we talking about how MS is giving Gamepass away and so the subscription numbers should be higher? That's what I was replying to. When MS releases their numbers soon, I'll be in there, but I won't keep it, so...

No idea what you're talking about to be honest.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Always fun to take a look at the post history of someone who says something like this. And find a desperate post on a Project Athia thread hoping MS will please buy all these studios because apparently you're salty that the game isn't coming to Xbox/GamePass.

Guess you're gonna have to learn to deal with it.
Unlike you I realize we live in a capitalist society and understand that consolidation is unavoidable.

You can misrepresent my post history all you want but if you're going to be creepy in your stalking, at least take the time to paraphrase things more accurately, hmm? It really isn't that hard unless you're purposefully being disingenuous simply because the ridiculousness of your post was called out.

As for Microsoft and acquisitions, I've never been shy about saying that I'm okay with them looking to buy. Just as I'm perfectly fine with other companies looking to acquire.

The difference? I don't post ridiculous hyperbole begging for certain companies to be outbid for acquisitions and desperately hoping a certain company isn't able to acquire anybody. See the difference?

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Aren't we talking about how MS is giving Gamepass away and so the subscribtion numbers should be higher? That's what I was replying to. When MS releases their numbers soon, I'll be in there, but I won't keep it, so...

No idea what you're talking about to be honest.
How much higher should they be, according to you, when the 1 dollar offer is only available to first time users? I don't get it, how many people do you think are subscribed for 1 dollar, exactly? Of the 15 million they reported in September, all the people who were subscribed for 1 dollar will have their subscription ran out next Tuesday, and the Game Pass subscriber number will probably have grown anyway, meaning most people do pay the standard fee.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Well if they want to increase subscriptions outside of consoles, they can always make future Bethesda games on PC Windows store exclusive.

I'm sure this will create less backlash than a 100% increase to Gold

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
They're basically what Netflix was 3-4 years ago.

If their studios start to output exclusive content they'll start scaling and will eventually go without outside funding (Netflix for example will achieve that for the first time this year).

Regular content is the key and imo Phil understands this

I agree. Not sure where they get flagship content though, the top 10 NPD games always seem to be things already owned by conglomerates.

that said they should also work very hard on filling some of the niche gaps to capture core gamers.

Why series' like Nioh and Persona (The latter being the highest or among the highest Metacritic games), are MISSING seems like low hanging fruit. If they have billions of dollars apparently ready to spend on studio acquisitions, why not pay millions of dollars to supplement the development of these types of games to first, appear on Xbox, and second, eventually add them to gamepass.

To be clear I'm not talking about ports, i'm talking about simultaneous development and release for niche core games that appear exclusively on one platform or another right now.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I could see this. Gamepass Ultimate is a good deal if you buy 3 games a year, and those people might not even do that; I don't believe Madden and COD are even on Gamepass day 1 either.
First 10 hours of Madden, Fifa and NHL are free day one on Game Pass Ultimate and comes to it 6 months later. They should really push this to casuals. It would bring in far more business and good PR.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I don't see much of a future for companies focused on the traditional model.
Then it will be a disaster and many people will lose their jobs. In the film industry, the traditional model has been able to survive alongside digital platforms because movie tickets still cost less than 10. In the video game industry, triple A's are worth 70 at launch. Will people continue to buy games at full price, if the subscription models are consolidated? I remember Jason Schreier said a while ago that many traditional companies were nervous about subscription services, it would be nice if he did an article about it.

Deleted member 86306

Banned
Nov 20, 2020
How much higher should they be, according to you, when the 1 dollar offer is only available to first time users? I don't get it, how many people do you think are subscribed for 1 dollar, exactly? Of the 15 million they reported in September, all the people who were subscribed for 1 dollar will have their subscription ran out next Tuesday, and the Game Pass subscriber number will probably have grown anyway, meaning most people do pay the standard fee.

My subscription ends in march. I also had a free month a few months ago.
Then you have those gold conversions that MS tried to stop yesterday.
It adds up. Don't think many of those wouuld pay full price...

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how far we are from Sony and Nintendo allowing game pass to be available on their consoles. MS will have access to tens of millions of potential subscribers and Playstation and Nintendo gamers will have access to all of xbox's library without missing out on anything.

This is probably a pipe dream because owning a game pass will push players to buy less games from their respective stores and i cant see Sony and Nintendo agreeing to this, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.