• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
MS won't be able to convert all Gold subscribers to GP as long as the newest installlation of annual franschises like CoD, NBA2k, Madden and FIFA aren't on Gamepass day 1. There are many people out there who only play these games on Xbox and they only need Gold to play mp.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Interesting times ahead. It seems that Amazon and Google also want content. The days where you could play everything on one platform are about to end, now the war for content and exclusivities has begun.
I wonder how companies more focused on a traditional model will resist, if the subscription services succeed many of their sales will surely plummet.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is to slowly remove features away from Gold & place them in Game Pass. For example, maybe remove two free games a month from Gold & add an additional two games to Game Pass a month.

I don't think anyone would even notice that. You get a different amount of games every month anyway. Sometimes 10, sometimes 20, sometimes more etc.

An extra two games a month doesn't really mean anything.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I think the ultimate test for Gamepass will be when all the cheap promotional subscriptions end. In a few years they will have built up a solid first party library all on gamepass to convince people to keep subscribing at the full $180 a year. The cheap promotions should give them enough time until that library is built up.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not simply turning GPU into Gold, like, "we're getting rid of the single Gold tier, we lower the price of GPU to the price that Gold has and integrate all current Gold user into GPU automatically"?

Wouldn't that easily reach their goal and give them an outstanding marketing push on top?
I imagine GPU at Gold subscription prices is unsustainable.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Didn't Sony buy almost all of their studios? Yeah they grew them over all over a decade but let's not pretend their any different to any other corporation. I'd argue there just as responsible for "exclusive" wars as Microsoft. They choose to buy 3rd party stuff, Microsoft just makes the whole thing first party. It's terrible both ways.

They bought Bend, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Insomniac, Evolution, and more.
Alot of people have the wrong impression because Sony has been acquiring studios over time while MS scooped alot of them in one go. But Sony is no different in this regard.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see Zhuge's perspective, that I can see being true.

Does regular gamepass sub still exist for $10 a month? I mean they could cancel gold entirely and make that the new Xbox gold subscription.

Then you simply have Xbox gamepass for $10 a month and gamepass ultimate for $15 a month. No more Gold subscription.
That would make the difference between Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate smaller, and many console-only players would downgrade from XGPU to XGP. XGPU exists in part to try to push console players to also play on PC and via xCloud, but it does that by providing a better value than XGP + Gold.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
I think the ultimate test for Gamepass will be when all the cheap promotional subscriptions end. In a few years they will have built up a solid first party library all on gamepass to convince people to keep subscribing at the full $180 a year. The cheap promotions should give them enough time until that library is built up.

Does the average player want a library?

Or do they just play the latest with their friends for a couple rounds?

Jul 26, 2018
Most people don't care enough to pay 180 dollars a year (minimum) to play games a year. 95% of console owners will buy a GTA, FIFA/Madden a few CODs and a 1st party game and call it a gen.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sounds like they want Game Pass to grow faster than it is.

The price hike was clearly intended to push more people to Game Pass but they obviously didn't think it through properly if they thought people would just accept that bull shit decision and move over to Game Pass instead.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Only exclusivity those acquisitions will have is to the GamePass service itself. That's what I think people are looking over here. They won't be exclusive in the traditional sense, like being limited to a specific hardware as PS and Nintendo games are. They'll definitely be pushing to have as many platforms support Gamepass as possible whether it's through streaming or natively. Obviously it's up to Sony and Nintendo to allow it, but why wouldn't MS be interested in using GP to access their superior hardware base.

As I've predicted before they're working more so against the Apple's and Amazon's now. The traditional race is over for them.
It's obvious imo what their plan is at this point, they know they can't win the popularity contest against PS worldwide and any console cycle is going to be tough for them to win if Sony doesn't fuck up PR before the launch. So why not use your strengths to your advantage, in MS's case MONEY. Buy up studios and flood the industry that way, Sony can't compete much at this time in that sense. I think it took a while but MS has found there path to more success in games, I won't be surprised to see gamepass on PlayStation consoles in the near future.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So, what happens if they don't achieve their goals with this? What happens if they can't achieve the subscriber numbers they need to make this viable?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Microsoft absolutely needs to look at diversifying their output of they want Gamepass to succeed. They've been doing a bit of that with all the acquisitions, but there's still a ton of niche's that aren't being catered to.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone would even notice that. You get a different amount of games every month anyway. Sometimes 10, sometimes 20, sometimes more etc.

An extra two games a month doesn't really mean anything.
That might be the point, though. Just barely noticeable stuff here & there. Maybe a game is 5% cheaper with Game Pass than it is with Gold. Maybe you get an exclusive item in Fortnite if you have Game Pass, but not if you only have Gold. Anything they can do to have people realize that Game Pass is the way to go.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Why not simply turning GPU into Gold, like, "we're getting rid of the single Gold tier, we lower the price of GPU to the price that Gold has and integrate all current Gold user into GPU automatically"?

Wouldn't that easily reach their goal and give them an outstanding marketing push on top?
They want more subscribers to make more money. That way they would be making less money than they are now.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
So, what happens if they don't achieve their goals with this? What happens if they can't achieve the subscriber numbers they need to make this viable?
That's why I'm assuming they're gonna continue being aggressive. The lineup has to be strong enough to be irresistible. If it fails I guess they could hope the acquisitions would bolster console sales.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Xbox should go after some DC Comics IP. Marvel is in bed with Sony and while Avengers wasn't as big as they wanted, Spider-Man has been doing gangbusters for them. DC Comics has so much unused IP, and even though WB has their own studios, they can't realistically make games for all of them. I'm sure Xbox can take advantage of that.
Yea, the DC universe is vast and rich, they can literally pump out 3-4 different hero games per calendar year among their different studios.

Nov 8, 2017
Here's a novel idea:

Build your own rich and diverse IP stable over the twenty years you've been in the industry, rather than squandering first party efforts again and again and again.

Got any ideas that don't involve time machines?

Maybe then we wouldn't need to have an industry threatened by consolidation and a one-track mind for trying to be Netflix.

Industry consolidation has been a slow boiling frog for 25 years. People are only now paying attention. Guess how most of the biggest gaming companies got as big as they are. I'll give you a hint - corporate consolidation.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I could see this. Gamepass Ultimate is a good deal if you buy 3 games a year, and those people might not even do that; I don't believe Madden and COD are even on Gamepass day 1 either.

Exactly. It's a good deal if those 3 games you buy are on gamepass...but if they're not...

Gamepass feels like what Spotify was a long while back for me. Where you had certain big artists and producers blocking their content from being on it. I never subscribed back then because I couldn't access the artists I wanted to listen to in a single place...and I think that's important for a lot of people (just look at all the whining when a game is exclusive to epic game store for a month) and it's what MS is trying to achieve with all the recent acquisitions. Give people a sense that you can find enough content for any tastes to remain subscribed for a year...but until gamepass becomes that one stop shop for content it's always going to struggle to keep someone like me subscribed. It's a much better deal to just sub once or twice a year when a game drops (halo in 2021 for me) when I feel I need to...but THAT situation only ever nets MS a comparatively measley £10-20, where I would have spent retail at launch.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Also they could just be trying the nintendo/PlayStation approach which is having a strong lineup of first party IP that can't be played anywhere else. The question is have they conceded the hardware market to Sony and Nintendo?

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Here's a novel idea:

Build your own rich and diverse IP stable over the twenty years you've been in the industry, rather than squandering first party efforts again and again and again.

Maybe then we wouldn't need to have an industry threatened by consolidation and a one-track mind for trying to be Netflix.

I'm happy to have Game Pass. I'm not happy AT ALL that this means Microsoft wants to consolidate to make it sustainable. I'd rather lose game pass than continue down this path, and yesterday's event was a giant red flag of the lengths they are willing to go if the consumer can stomach it. It backfired once. Will it backfire when they've acquired half the industry, or will we be locked in?
"I'm not happy with the consolidation I'm actively supporting by being an Xbox Game Pass user."

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That might be the point, though. Just barely noticeable stuff here & there. Maybe a game is 5% cheaper with Game Pass than it is with Gold. Maybe you get an exclusive item in Fortnite if you have Game Pass, but not if you only have Gold. Anything they can do to have people realize that Game Pass is the way to go.

I don't mean to keep batting your ideas back (because I realise how annoying that is!) but both of these already exist...

Every game on Game Pass has a 10-20% discount to buy for subscribers (depending on how long it's been on the service) and that extends to all DLC/MTX too.

Game Pass Perks (a feature of Game Pass, as the name suggests!) regularly give free items and stuff away. We got free stuff for Smite, Forza Horizon 4, Warframe, PSO2 etc recently with it. It's a good perk! Spellbreak is giving their whole Chapter 1 battle pass away to Game Pass Ultimate subs at the moment.

I get your point though; added value to make people want to sub to GP over just Gold. Maybe part of that is marketing these perks better.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Most people don't care enough to pay 180 dollars a year (minimum) to play games a year. 95% of console owners will buy a GTA, FIFA/Madden a few CODs and a 1st party game and call it a gen.
Yeah, I agree. It will be interesting to see how the market responds. I can see gamepass being wonderful for people who have a lot of time to game and like to explore different titles. People who enjoy MS's first party will benefit from it as well as families.

Personally, its not for me atm but I have my eyes on it for when their first parties deliver.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If MS released numbers i would..... But they release nothing, use common sense....

I did...that's why i asked you if you had anything to back up what you posted. My senses were correct.

It's easy folks...if i want a game that's not on gamepass. I buy it. It's ok that gamepass doesn't cater to everyone. Most things in life don't.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty dang shady to increase the price of one thing in order to get people to subscribe to another. Good thing they walked that back.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting times ahead. It seems that Amazon and Google also want content. The days where you could play everything on one platform are about to end, now the war for content and exclusivities has begun.
I wonder how companies more focused on a traditional model will resist, if the subscription services succeed many of their sales will surely plummet.

I don't know about that. PC is in the best place it has ever been. You get all PC exclusives, almost all 3rd party games (even some console exclusives) and all MS games.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I wonder what the churn rate is. Some people, like me, usually unsubscribe to streaming services after consuming certain content.
I hope GP is sustainable, especially after all of these acquisitions and their potential projects. I like what MS is offering.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe one of these they'll acquire someone that wants to work on Banjo-Kazooie...

That's literally all I want from this trillion dollar company and it's like it's impossible for them to do.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Number should be higher to be honest, a huge percentage of that number is from the $1 dollar deal. Including myself which I use gamepass for PC. If it weren't for that dollar deal i would've never joined.
That's for first time users or people who have been subscribed for over a year (they can get an extra month for a dollar). The percentage of people subscribed for 1 dollar can't be higher than 10%, it's only for a month and it was for three months only twice in select countries.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Does the average player want a library?

Or do they just play the latest with their friends for a couple rounds?
Yeah, those are the challenges MS faces. How do they attract more people when the promotions are gone. A good poll question methinks lol. "Are you willing to pay $180 a year for gamepass ultimate?"

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Xbox should go after some DC Comics IP. Marvel is in bed with Sony and while Avengers wasn't as big as they wanted, Spider-Man has been doing gangbusters for them. DC Comics has so much unused IP, and even though WB has their own studios, they can't realistically make games for all of them. I'm sure Xbox can take advantage of that.
Possibly, but DC is weird with how they handle their franchises and Disney of late seem to be a lot more open so it kinda makes sense to go in that direction now

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
lol maybe what happened yesterday...
I got 3 months gamepass ultimate for 1 euro last month.
They're practically giving it away.
I guess Netflix is going out of business because the first month is free, too. Good luck getting three months for a dollar after your three months run out, it was a temporary offer. It's called freebie marketing and every company does it nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.