• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I won't say "it should have had a soundtrack" because I admit, I used my own music for both Burnout 3 and Revenge.

But "we are delighted to announce that the music in Dangerous Driving will be delivered via Spotify" is definitely the most clever way I've ever seen to say "We have no music in our game."

Also, super bummed that it isn't 60fps on the base consoles. That's essential for high-speed racing games imo. If I didn't have an X, that'd be a dealbreaker.

Like I said in another thread: I really wish they'd worked on this a bit longer.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Karak just put up a review, he wasn't very impressed. He says rent it on consoles or wait for ~$5 sale on PC.

EDIT: beaten like a modern Need For Speed game

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
No soundtrack? Damn. Was planning on buying this game, but that's a huge deal breaker for me personally.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Only now realized on the Digital Foundry video that the devs don't mean you should use Spotify and just recommend it, no, they really already integrated that with a menu point.
That changes the whole thing for my demand and I think I will jump in and buy it. It looks so extremely much like B3, in even the smallest UI and font details, I just have to support that to maybe someday get more.

Also, clarification time, cause Digital Foundry, Dark1x , also got that wrong, you only need Spotify premium if you use the integrated Spotify music option. You don't need Spotify premium if you use the native PS4 or Xbox One Spotify integration that these consoles already have.
So start these apps, log into your free account, connect it with your phone and start whatever you want whenever you want. No premium needed and the music runs exactly the same like it would be Integrated in the game.
I don't know tho if the integrated version has some cool tricks like automatically pause the music in takedowns or menu transition and stuff, cause they could do something with an integrated version, which would be awesome, so that would get lost if you "only" use the console versions that you have manually to manage. But that's the only difference it could have.
But the point is, there is no Spotify Premium needed!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subscribing to Spotify to have music in your game.

What a time to be alive. And to not waste money on this.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Only now realized on the Digital Foundry video that the devs don't mean you should use Spotify and just recommend it, no, they really already integrated that with a menu point.
That changes the whole thing for my demand and I think I will jump in and buy it. It looks so extremely much like B3, in even the smallest UI and font details, I just have to support that to maybe someday get more.

Also, clarification time, cause Digital Foundry, Dark1x , also got that wrong, you only need Spotify premium if you use the integrated Spotify music option. You don't need Spotify premium if you use the native PS4 or Xbox One Spotify integration that these consoles already have.
So start these apps, log into your free account, connect it with your phone and start whatever you want whenever you want. No premium needed and the music runs exactly the same like it would be Integrated in the game.
I don't know tho if the integrated version has some cool tricks like automatically pause the music in takedowns or menu transition and stuff, cause they could do something with an integrated version, which would be awesome, so that would get lost if you "only" use the console versions that you have manually to manage. But that's the only difference it could have.
But the point is, there is no Spotify Premium needed!
you can change tracks in the game if you integrate it i think

it's in the giant bomb video for it

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I selfishly don't give a shit about the lack of soundtrack and would actually prefer the built-in Spotify integration. I maintain a Spotify playlist of music I like to listen to for racing games and it's actually named Burnout, because the awful soundtracks of Revenge and Paradise are what compelled me to create it initially with the built-in custom background music support on the 360. I migrate the playlist when I change services but still continue to name it Burnout. This limitation obviously sucks for many others though, and they really should have attempted something...

I really wanted this game to be good. I was still mostly on board until I watched Karak's review and he talked about the AI. Probably the worst implementation of rubber banding I've heard of - the AI only boosting when you do. It's actually beneficial to not boost! WTF.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This game plays badly and I'm extremely regretful that I bought it on PSN where I can't even refund it now.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people are surprised this isn't a very good video game. In every video it looked like a mobile game, and I don't just mean the graphics.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Mostly unrelated, I just watched the GB Quick Look of this and cackled at them messing with the Spotify stuff in the game

Simple n Clean is the way that you're makin' me feeeeel toniiight

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Do you know/remember how long Wreckfest took to come out? Literally took 6 years.
I'm fine if a high quality Burnout game would take that long. Let it go into early access and take money for it early. Kickstart it and get additional money that way if they need.
It's not like this was the only thing they were working on, the Golf game and the Crash mode game were basically them building up to Dangerous Driving, I think they've even said so themselves.

This looks fine, but i already own Burnout 3, and I'd rather just replay that before I play this.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
With my desire to listen to podcasts, watch Netflix, or have something else on while I'm playing non-story/music-focused games, the lack of soundtrack here isn't a big deal to me. If it saves them some time that can be better spent on the game itself, that's fine with me.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm fine if a high quality Burnout game would take that long. Let it go into early access and take money for it early. Kickstart it and get additional money that way if they need.
It's not like this was the only thing they were working on, the Golf game and the Crash mode game were basically them building up to Dangerous Driving, I think they've even said so themselves.

This looks fine, but i already own Burnout 3, and I'd rather just replay that before I play this.

I'd rather play a new game at 60fps on X1X than a 15 year old racer.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Karak just put up a review, he wasn't very impressed. He says rent it on consoles or wait for ~$5 sale on PC.

EDIT: beaten like a modern Need For Speed game

Ya sadly its just insanely rough. The lack of MP really hurts it right now as well with all the issues based around how it plays. I love the idea but the execution lacks an incredible amount.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So it's from the ex Burnout devs? Why does the crashing look so...basic? That's like the main selling point of the Burnout games and why a lot of people enjoyed them, the awesome crashes and the visual effects of the cars crumpling, etc.

This game it looks like there's no crumple effects, like the frame takes 0 dmg, no crumpling, just doors open/wheels coming off and that's about it.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Burnout was a multi-million AAA game made by around hundred devs across 2 years.
DD is an indie game that supposedly cost $140k made by seven devs across 7-8 months.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 3 had an small but amazing remodeling of their Microsoft Groove integration after it died, it changed in a way that the Groove app could read your own music mp3 files from your OneDrive account and then you could simply create playlist on the Groove app with your own files and FH3 could read these playlists.

What a phenomenal feature which shows that the sky is the limit with stuff like this.

Unfortunately, Playground Games didn't brought this feature back for FH4, for whatever f'n reason.

But yeah, that would be an option. At least on Xbox.

Use of your own music seems to be one of the systems that usually is taken out from one game of a series to its sequel, strangely.
It happened with the excite truck and endless ocean sequels on the wii, it happened with the jump of RCT3 to Planet Coaster (though from Frontier saying it was impossible to implement becaus of the type of sound files the system used now it became possible a year later and now its implemented), and from what you say its the same thing from FH3 to 4.

Maybe implementations like this of mp3 seems harder to make (or more expensive to buy the program that lets them do it) than it seems?

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I played it for 5 minutes and I'm trying to get a refund.

The drifting is off, it's all off.

It would be fine in this state if it was an early access game. The devs are needlessly trashing their reputation by releasing their games like this.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am mostly talking UI work, getting a MP3 to play in game would not be hard, but you have to build out the UI for that too and make sure that works ontop of everything that is already there.

PS4 and Xbox One both have system level music playback with quick bar controls.

Whatever engine Dangerous Driving is using must not be very good. The destructibility just isn't there, and the game looks like it should have no trouble running at 60fps on base XB1 or PS4.

It's Unreal 4.

you can change tracks in the game if you integrate it i think

it's in the giant bomb video for it

Most of what Jeff messes with in the QL is just the PS4 system level Spotify controls. All the game does is let you skip tracks back and forth with the D-pad. Everything he does browsing playlists is outside the game.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game is fine. Some funky physics stuff every once in a while but the sense of speed is good.

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
OK, had a go for about 6 different races. Enjoying it immensely, but lack of music DOES hurt the experience as this would be a game where I would leave the race music playing, because the ingame sound isn't really important in a game such as this. Some intense instrumental metal music would be great. Kinda wish the default view was a little higher up though. Still, I give it an easy 4 out of 5 stars.....one star off for lack of any included race music. Gonna have to try a USB stick or free Spotify and see how that goes.......never really added music to a game like that before, but this one seems to need it. Wish I could get some of the in-race music from Split Second. That game had a sweet soundtrack.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also, clarification time, cause Digital Foundry, @Dark1x , also got that wrong, you only need Spotify premium if you use the integrated Spotify music option. You don't need Spotify premium if you use the native PS4 or Xbox One Spotify integration that these consoles already have.
Ah, well, I've never really used Spotify so I had no idea. Good to know you can use the app.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. To be honest I get more hyped every month at the thought of MS announcing Burnout 3 for the BC program on the Inside Xbox, always to suffer extreme disappointment.

These spiritual or carbon copy sequels made by devs that go independent...fail at something almost always. I can't think about any that does everything right and surpasses the originals outside of Monster Boy.

At least these guys made it with a 140k budget, and the game isn't bad. Others have made turds with 4$ million in funding.

Also, there has to be some Creative Commons/copyleft music they could have used. Or hire a total unknown band that makes the job almost for free. There are tons of talented people around the world that are completely unknown outside their local areas. Idk.

Last edited:

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
No soundtrack is nuts! You could have licenced SOMETHING for peanuts. Yes such tracks are not bespoke but you'd have at least SOMETHING!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up. So there's zero music in the game...? I don't use Spotify. I have the Amazon service via my Prime sub. There's literally no music...? I always like to listen to the music the game provides, never bother playing with other music in the background.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Burnout 3 was available via BC on XBO. Revenge is, right?

Probably something to do with the soundtrack in 3.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I have a really hard time believing that people who say this "plays like a dream" have ever played an arcade racer in their life.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
seems like a attempt to make a quick buck out of hungry Burnout fans, not sure if this is the way to do it though...

better to just avoid this game

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have a really hard time believing that people who say this "plays like a dream" have ever played an arcade racer in their life.

I don't want to pass too much judgement until I play it myself. Ridge Racer looks awkward as hell but plays fine. But all I watched was the GB quick look where Jeff didn't seem to take issue with how it controlled. Haven't dug into reviews.

Mar 29, 2018
I was totally on board with the Spotify thing until I read you need Premium to experience it.

That's really, really dumb.

I have premium so it's not an issue for me - but you're basically telling people to pay ten bucks a month to listen to music in your game. Like, what? Most people can't afford that.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I mean I was just going to play the Burnout 3 soundtrack on loop while playing this so no big loss there.

Reviews I've seen for his have been decidedly average. Will look for a sale because I'm seriously in need of Burnout.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I selfishly don't give a shit about the lack of soundtrack and would actually prefer the built-in Spotify integration. I maintain a Spotify playlist of music I like to listen to for racing games and it's actually named Burnout, because the awful soundtracks of Revenge and Paradise are what compelled me to create it initially with the built-in custom background music support on the 360. I migrate the playlist when I change services but still continue to name it Burnout. This limitation obviously sucks for many others though, and they really should have attempted something...

I really wanted this game to be good. I was still mostly on board until I watched Karak's review and he talked about the AI. Probably the worst implementation of rubber banding I've heard of - the AI only boosting when you do. It's actually beneficial to not boost! WTF.

Actually in Burnout 3 the AI had really really bad rubber banding like going faster then you can actually go and boosting when they didn't have ant boost. A lot of bs went into the AI in that game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was totally on board with the Spotify thing until I read you need Premium to experience it.

That's really, really dumb.

I have premium so it's not an issue for me - but you're basically telling people to pay ten bucks a month to listen to music in your game. Like, what? Most people can't afford that.

You can still use free Spotify/other music normally like you would over any other game. Spotify Premium is required (by Spotify) to use the in-game integration stuff though. It's an API requirement. The Premium in-game stuff uses things like being able to change tracks in-game, track info showing in-game and the music stopping and fading out in relation to what's happening in game.

You can always just play Spotify/your own music from the PS/Xbox guide or on your PC without a Premium sub.