• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is wrong with gaming journalists lately?

And soon multiplayer 20€ a month of fees to play on consoles. nice.
(Well on PC there's other solutions, for those willing to spend extra time and those who have big music collections)

So? If they release another game with the SAME ISSUES, people should stfu and don't complain? lol

And on PC Danger Zone 2 had leaderboards and achievements. Both of which this misses (for now at least). Both would be possible even in-game.
But seems like devs took easy way (despite being paid by EGS "to make game better").

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
blame is probably a strong word. But their initial claims for going to the EGS is that nobody bought their games.

Because they're consistently making barebones games, oftentimes barely a step above tech demos. This one is better than that, but still very half-baked.

Coupled with their disappointment in how their games sell, it's clear they think that they deserve better.
I never bought Dangerous Golf as it simply didn't appeal to me because of how simple and barebones it was. Admittedly I also didn't know about it until DF made a video and didn't know about their other games until now. So I guess visibility is a factor too.

Superfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I obviously do not agree with that assessment - the lack of a soundtrack is a big deal to me - but if that's someone's opinion, who cares?
This is nothing against "gaming journalism" in general (all these rants are beyond ridiculous), but it's not hard to notice a positive bias towards a small British studio with hard working nice blokes here. EG has a history of overrating the TFE games. I even find it understandable - I want TFE (and Alex Ward in particular) to succeed, but I'm at the same disappointed with their releases.

I don't even play racing games with music turned on during gameplay, but not offering any kind of built-in soundtrack is a major flaw. Highlighting that as an "ingenious" feature almost seems like an offensive statement to me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind a custom soundtrack if they can still mix it well. Playing music over your game has never mixed well. Part of the beauty of games like Burnout or SSX was that the music would distort in a crash or when you get big air or something. Added a lot to the feel of it.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a soundtrack together for this game would likely cost around $1-2k on the cheapest end. That's not asking a whole lot from the developer for an integral part of a game. No buy from me.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Driveclub is the best arcade racer this gen and it's 30fps and only has music in the menus.
What? Driveclub has music during gameplay and it's one of the best racing soundtracks in a long time (Hybrid did the score). The game defaults to no music during gameplay, though, which is dumb but you can enable it which, of course, I did.

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
I like to play console games while talking with my husband, so the lack of a soundtrack unless I've got Spotify Premium is a pretty black mark for the game to me.

The framerate issues on base consoles too.

Didn't know this game existed until yesterday and I kinda wish I still didn't.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify integration is a much better solution anyway. I already turn off the music in FH4 and turn on Spotify, so if this lets them put bidget towards other things, smart move.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I guess I'll just steer clear of those sadly toxic Dangerous Driving shit threads filled with people who were begging for a new Burnout , now pissing on the closest we've ever had to a sequel... And certainly never mentioning that it's half the price of a full game.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
For me, this is completely unacceptable. Hopefully the gameplay is interesting enough, but even the no budget Power Rangers game had music (which was super generic, admittedly,) and it plays well enough, which is a major surprise.

And even still, I don't think that game is worth buying yet either. Finish your projects, please; by the time you get around to it later, people will have moved on.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
From the way they made it sound, I don't think Epic moneyhatted them, I think they were just having so much trouble getting recognition on Steam, they decided Epic's store would be a better bet.

If that was actually the issue, they would have released Dangerous Driving in as many stores as possible.

I'm getting pretty damn sick of this grouping of people together.

My apologies, I didn't mean to generalize gaming journalists. But I've read so many eye-rolling things on popular gaming sites lately that I even stopped visiting some of them out of frustration. This doesn't apply to your excellent work of course.

I obviously do not agree with that assessment - the lack of a soundtrack is a big deal to me - but if that's someone's opinion, who cares?

To me, it's reads like a ridiculous spin to turn a negative thing into something positive. Even if that editor doesn't care about a soundtrack, it's not "ingeniously" at all to rely on a paid 3rd party subscription for music in a videogame.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Honestly surprised some of these reviews are as high as they are. The game feels so soulless and low-effort to me. The Gamespot one (5/10) represents my feelings pretty accurately.

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if you're using a base console, I'd suggest not getting it. The bad frame pacing ruins it.

Yeesh. I have a launch XB1, a launch PS4, and a gtx1070 but am not on EGS and don't really want to be. I'm a huuuuuuge burnout fan and the devs somehow turn me off entirely. That's kind of impressive actually.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yo Dangerous Driving devs. If you needed a soundtrack, you could've called me.

I would've whipped something together in a month. Only problem is that it would sound like steamed butt.
Still...worth a shot right?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Dude shut the fuck up rofl

The fuck am I gonna go around looking for a US address and payment option for a service not supported in my country just to play some music the devs picked out? Not to mention I'd have to pay extra for the game to have a soundtrack at all.

Miss me with this disingenuous shit.

Are insults like this accepted here, now?

You couched your initial query like a request to know how people could use Spotify outside officially supported countries. I responded accordingly.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus you people will find anyway to bring up epic in any thread that has nothing to do with them

I mean.. to be fair this game is only on the EPIC store for its PC release (its not a timed exclusive) so EPIC absolutely has a place in the discussion.

I watched the quick look and I think there is enough there in the budget of the game to get me to buy it for my One X, might even try the playlist they created.

I do wish they gave a smaller composer a fit in the budget but im sure they did what made sense.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Perhaps it's because people, such as myself, do not see this as a big deal. As someone who often mutes the in-game music the second I get a game in favor of playing my own music, this is a non issue. If I need to change a song, I use the media buttons on the top of my keyboard.

That's a poor comparison if I'm being honest. While I don't know the budgets of these two games, I have to imagine that developing a semi-realistic looking racing game is far more expensive to create than a fairly simplistic, albeit really cool looking action-rhythm game.

Which is exactly the point - if a "fairly simplistic, albeit really cool looking action-rhythm game" is able to get a soundtrack, there's no reason this shouldn't.

By no means am I trying to just "shit on the developer" because I know of how much a passion project this is, and I absolutely want them to succeed. I want to buy this to support them, but when it's missing something as big as a soundtrack, I'm very conflicted, because I don't want to say "hey this is okay to do".

Last edited:

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was introduced to Burnout with Burnout Paradise. Loved that game, in fact I'm still playing it now.

Not excited for this unfortunately...but I hope the game does well.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
There's really nothing I've seen of this game that should excuse it from not running at 60 on base consoles, I mean the Burnout series were heralded in part due to their technical acumen, running a solid 60 is kind of what they're know for. When you're cutting out cities and even (seemingly) reducing the detail on crashes and still not managing to even hit a locked 30, umm that's really missing the mark imo.

I get they have a limited budget, but maybe there are certain games which you shouldn't attempt if you have to cut back so drastically, especially if it's a series that made its mark with bombastic style. If you can't replicate that, you're excising a good chunk of what made the game work.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus

I'll just play Spotify on top of the game like every game then.

*shrugs*
Good for you, Spotify is not available in my country so I won't be able to use it. I prefer playing most of my games with in-game soundtracks, so music is basically cut out for me from this game because I don't live in the correct region, amazing isn't it?

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, the game unlocks tonight at midnight on my PS4 Pro. Despite the lack of any kind of soundtrack, I plan to enjoy the game for what it is. I love crash'n'bash arcade racers, so I'm sure I will enjoy this just fine as I wait for Wreckfest to finally be released on consoles.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I mean.. to be fair this game is only on the EPIC store for its PC release (its not a timed exclusive) so EPIC absolutely has a place in the discussion.

I watched the quick look and I think there is enough there in the budget of the game to get me to buy it for my One X, might even try the playlist they created.

I do wish they gave a smaller composer a fit in the budget but im sure they did what made sense.
So the developer decides to not put a soundtrack in and somehow epic is involved? How?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So the developer decides to not put a soundtrack in and somehow epic is involved? How?

Im not blaming EPIC for that and if that's the point then I get you. I guess they feel if EPIC put money up front they could have sourced a contract composer? I dont know.

I want to support them regardless, it sounds like a real passion project for the team.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
10€ a month for Spotify to have music, 10€ for Xbox Live.
Spotify is required for multiplayer now? Didn't know that.

(BTW you can have background music without Spotify, or use Spotify free)

And whoever pays the €10 monthly fee when you can easily get a year for 40 and below is just throwing out the coin without thinking.

Last edited:

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Well, the game unlocks tonight at midnight on my PS4 Pro. Despite the lack of any kind of soundtrack, I plan to enjoy the game for what it is. I love crash'n'bash arcade racers, so I'm sure I will enjoy this just fine as I wait for Wreckfest to finally be released on consoles.
Refreshing positivity, thank you for that. I'll be doing the same at midnight! :)

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Both Xbox Live and PS+ are $5/month.

Only when paid yearly.

And whoever pays the €10 monthly fee when you can easily get a year for 40 and below is just throwing out the coin without thinking.

If you don't constantly play, it's much easier to get month

This game requires spotify to have music yes. (or provide your own).
So for this specific case yes, 10€ a month of single player, 20€ for a month of multiplayer.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't constantly play, it's much easier to get month
It's easier to get pizza delivered by helicopter when you live far from the city. So pizza is 1000 bucks these days, totally crazy.

This game requires spotify to have music yes. (or provide your own).
This game also requires you to live in a house because it could rain and that's bad for your console. So don't forget to add the costs of that to "multiplayer".

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Which is exactly the point - if a "fairly simplistic, albeit really cool looking action-rhythm game" is able to get a soundtrack, there's no reason this shouldn't.

By no means am I trying to just "shit on the developer" because I know of how much a passion project this is, and I absolutely want them to succeed. I want to buy this to support them, but when it's missing something as big as a soundtrack, I'm very conflicted, because I don't want to say "hey this is okay to do".
The point I was making is these two games are nothing alike and the developers clearly allocated their budgets in different areas that they deemed important. Clearly for this game, they felt that their rumored $140K budget was best allocated towards the graphics and gameplay and not wasting money on licensed music, as little or big as that may be.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be disappointed for the lack of a soundtrack, I'm simply asking people to have a bit of perspective.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can live in Zimbabwe, create a Spotify Premium account with a US address / Payment and it'll stream anywhere you go. Spotify considers this as 'roaming'.
Free accounts will only work in official territories.
Where do I get US payment info from?

btw, if I click the Premium or Sign Up options on the site, I still get "Spotify is currently not available in your country." So how is that supposed to work anyway?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier to get pizza delivered by helicopter when you live far from the city. So pizza is 1000 bucks these days, totally crazy.

That's silly. If you play on 3 (non-consecutive) months a year, 10€ a month is still the best deal. Surely 40€ or so is better value overall, but you're still wasting 10€ on nothing.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Good for you, Spotify is not available in my country so I won't be able to use it. I prefer playing most of my games with in-game soundtracks, so music is basically cut out for me from this game because I don't live in the correct region, amazing isn't it?

Do you not have a way to put music on a USB stick? That's also an option on both consoles DD is available on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is wrong with gaming journalists lately?
There's something inherently bothersome about this comment, as it assumes every opinion about every game needs to be the same. Why can't this Eurogamer person just genuinely not be bothered? Why does that bother you?

I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess it's not impossible for you to find a solution to play music somehow, someway, while you play this game. You'll be fine