• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Superfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That requires time and money. Given that they made this in seven months and couldn't afford to license music
I don't know. TFE have been citing budget restrictions as an "excuse" for flaws in every single one of their (IMO not great) games released so far. On one hand I admire their discipline to deliver on time and (presumably) on budget, but on the other hand those games feel like wasted opportunities for me. I really love Alex Ward's vision and want him to be able to continue, so I guess the only way is to support them and hope for more polished future releases even though I'm not convinced by the current one.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm under no illusions either, this game is getting dunked on as much as it is because they're on EGS, I'm not stupid lol

30fps on base consoles is eh
60fps stuff is disappointing
No soundtrack stuff is weird and the game should have one
Same for the UI

I mostly wish they had a bigger team and budget to really throw down, cause they're getting closer but definitely aren't cruising yet

Not to be mean but this entire project always looked like a small team punching way above their weight.

I don't think that's really mean so much as realistic

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Some developers apologists are reaching an absurd extreme. Really absurd.

If you do not have the budget to make a game, don't do it. FFS

So the game runs at 30 fps in consoles, does not reach locked 60 in mid gen, has no soundtrack, it's sold exclusively in a store famous for its anti-consumer practices and for money hats, it turns out that is not even as fun as the Burnout series and there are still people defending it.

Poor developers is the new trend.
They had the budget to make a game. They didn't have the budget to license a soundtrack

The notion that being realistic about a low-budget indie game is "defending" it (like that's some baffling stance as is) or being an apologist is absolutely absurd.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm under no illusions either, this game is getting dunked on as much as it is because they're on EGS, I'm not stupid lol

Same for the UI

I mostly wish they had a bigger team and budget to really throw down, cause they're getting closer but definitely aren't cruising yet

I don't think that's really mean so much as realistic
I honestly don't get the complaints about the UI. It looks fine? What's so wrong about it?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. TFE have been citing budget restrictions as an "excuse" for flaws in every single one of their (IMO not great) games released so far. On one hand I admire their discipline to deliver on time and (presumably) on budget, but on the other hand those games feel like wasted opportunities for me. I really love Alex Ward's vision and want him to be able to continue, so I guess the only way is to support them and hope for more polished future releases even though I'm not convinced by the current ones.
Why do you consider it an excuse to cite limited budget as a reason for flaws and jankiness? Like that's the nature of tons of low-budget indie games and movies, especially ones trying to punch above their weight class or do something ambitious.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you consider it an excuse to cite limited budget as a reason for flaws and jankiness? Like that's the nature of tons of low-budget indie games and movies, especially ones trying to punch above their weight class or do something ambitious.
Maybe then they should reflect on the quality of their games, instead of blaming customers for not buying them.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
They really couldn't just get some cheap (or even free) songs from some unknown EDM producer or something, they had to literally skip the soundtrack altogether? What the hell. And Spotify's automatic playlists are usually pretty bad, so I'd probably just turn that feature off and turn on Spotify manually with my own playlists, thanks. I'll play this game down the line, but holy shit this sounds stupid.

Apparently Alex Ward mentioned this game was made for $140,000.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Same for the UI

I mean, people are offered here a version that is objectively worse because of a platform choice. Of course people are going to dunk on it. But you highlight it as if it was a dumb thing. Crazy.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, people are offered here a version that is objectively worse because of a platform choice. Of course people are going to dunk on it. But you highlight it as if it was a dumb thing. Crazy.

Breh nobody even knew about this game until like 6 weeks ago when it got EGS announced, it's had videos and previews for months before that

If I drew the pathway for the amount of attention/shit talking it got, it would literally be a straight line from -> Game gets announced -> Game goes on EGS 6 months later

It invites challenge, especially since all of their other games (which did ok), had similar issues and didn't have this much juice and haterade

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
They had the budget to make a game. They didn't have the budget to license a soundtrack

The notion that being realistic about a low-budget indie game is "defending" it (like that's some baffling stance as is) or being an apologist is absolutely absurd.

I don't think so.

If you have a limited budget, desing your game around that budget. I mean, reduce the scope of everything and make a good game with limited but great visuals, limited but great music and limited but great gameplay. You can not cut whatever you want and call it a day because budget reasons. That's for me a bad decision.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

You are not stupid, but you are wrong.
If you release a mid 60s game without tons of features don't pretend to get dunked, the EGS exclusivity adds more to the mess.

Even if this game was on Steam with the exact same issues, people will be mad as well.
WX2GYzx.png

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is one way to tell people that their current gen consoles have no way of playing music if they don't have Spotify.

My ps3/360 I had playlists made from my own CD's and ps3 had some in game music support and Xbox was system wide. Wipeout HD on ps3 would add distortion and tunnel echo effects to your music to match the gameplay. That's gone from the ps4 port clearly.

So they basically made the music to the game an upgrade/micro transaction. Crazy. Did Epic pay them in exposure instead of money? We have posters here saying its dirt cheap.

Superfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They were citing it way in advance of the release, look up their interviews for Dangerous Golf etc. - it really felt like an excuse why this or that wasn't great.

And I disagree that indie games must naturally be flawed due to their low budget. Devs "just" have to outline their scope correctly in order to deliver overall polish and quality within budget restrictions. There are more than enough positive examples of games that managed that out there.

If you would like to make a spiritual Burnout successor but don't have the budget to even remotely deliver something comparable to, say, Burnout Revenge on 360 (released f*cking 13 years ago!), you should probably reconsider your plans.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
lol I don't have Spotify premium, guess I'll have to pass. Was looking forward to this but ah well

A lot of times when I play racing games, I'll open Pandora in a window and turn down the in-game music, so this really isn't a big deal to me. BUT having a cool soundtrack full of an unknown artist's music could've helped give the game more of an identity. Think of how many classic racers that are known just for their soundtracks.

I guess this is one way to tell people that their current gen consoles have no way of playing music if they don't have Spotify.

My ps3/360 I had playlists made from my own CD's and ps3 had some in game music support and Xbox was system wide. Wipeout HD on ps3 would add distortion and tunnel echo effects to your music to match the gameplay. That's gone from the ps4 port clearly.

So they basically made the music to the game an upgrade/micro transaction. Crazy. Did Epic pay them in exposure instead of money? We have posters here saying its dirt cheap.

From the way they made it sound, I don't think Epic moneyhatted them, I think they were just having so much trouble getting recognition on Steam, they decided Epic's store would be a better bet.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

You really wanna try some 'I totally knew about this game before' anecdotal stuff don't you

This is a reminder that I deal with metrics and patterns a lot so this isn't particularly surprising on any facet since they also started ramping up marketing around that time, but don't lie to your orange Jesus

You are not stupid, but you are wrong.
If you release a mid 60s game without tons of features don't pretend to get dunked, the EGS exclusivity adds more to the mess.

Even if this game was on Steam with the exact same issues will be mad as well.
WX2GYzx.png

Danger Zone 2 rated similarly and had many of the same issues
Don't make me go get pikachudoubt.jpg

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Digital Foundry claim the complete opposite, they say its a locked 60.
It's nearly locked 60 on both Pro and X. There are occasional tiny blips here and there but nothing major. It's very very smooth overall - at least as stable at the previous Burnout games.

What the hell is wrong with gaming journalists lately?
I'm getting pretty damn sick of this grouping of people together.

I obviously do not agree with that assessment - the lack of a soundtrack is a big deal to me - but if that's someone's opinion, who cares?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

The PS4 has a media player to play music. It doesnt have the fancy stuff Wipeout did though.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe then they should reflect on the quality of their games, instead of blaming customers for not buying them.
Where are they blaming customers for not buying games? Why do you think they aren't reflecting on the quality of their games?

Low-budget indie projects, games and movies alike, always take shortcuts. Sometimes, many times, those flaws and issues are noticable. In games, the animations might be stiff, there might be framerate issues, the UI might not be as slick as it could, certain elements might not coalesce perfectly

The recent indie action movie Nightshooters has kind of hilarious CGI fire and blood/gore. That's just the nature of low-budget fare. They're going to have rough edges and shortcuts. We're not talking Upgrade (for movies) or Mutant Year Zero (for games)-level budget. We're talking a game like Dream Quest having stick figures on its cards and a dungeon map that looks like placeholder art. Or this game trying to capture that Burnout vibe on a fraction of the budget, time, and team.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
"unavailable legally"?

What happened to all of the physical copies?

Probably sold scratched to shit and unable to install on consoles or for PC, sold at full MSRP still

So yeah sure physical is available legally

So? If they release another game with the SAME ISSUES, people should stfu and don't complain? lol

None of their games have soundtracks

I don't think they have a composer in their studio

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Digital Foundry claim the complete opposite, they say its a locked 60.
It's nearly locked 60 on both Pro and X. There are occasional tiny blips here and there but nothing major. It's very very smooth overall - at least as stable at the previous Burnout games.

I was quoting the thread title and what other people had said - thank you for the clarification

None of their games have soundtracks

I don't think they have a composer in their studio
... so license some music? Sorry, but I feel like this is not an excuse at all, lol.

I want this game to succeed, I absolutely do, but holy moly what is going on.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Yeah don't try that, we know why they're getting mega heat over it now vs earlier

Feel free to throw down the 360 windmill dunk but don't lie to me

I'm not trying anything but if you think that people are complaning because it's an "EGS exclusive" while ignoring the issues i have nothing more to say, you can believe what do you want. Pretty sure all the reviews scored the game with 6/10 because it's EGS exclusive, maybe they should make better games and maybe people won't complain if they don't see a barbones product.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Breh nobody even knew about this game until like 6 weeks ago when it got EGS announced, it's had videos and previews for months before that

If I drew the pathway for the amount of attention/shit talking it got, it would literally be a straight line from -> Game gets announced -> Game goes on EGS 6 months later

It invites challenge, especially since all of their other games (which did ok), had similar issues and didn't have this much juice and haterade
I cut their prior games a bit of slack because they were explicitly stated to be smaller games that would build up to a proper Burnout revival. And Dangerous Golf was quite polished in my view.

Apparently Alex Ward mentioned this game was made for $140,000.

Do you have a source on that?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Are they? Are we under attack?
blame is probably a strong word. But their initial claims for going to the EGS is that nobody bought their games.
Why do you think they aren't reflecting on the quality of their games?
Because they're consistently making barebones games, oftentimes barely a step above tech demos. This one is better than that, but still very half-baked.

Coupled with their disappointment in how their games sell, it's clear they think that they deserve better.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I do think it's a solid game but, for me, there are definitely issues...

The soundtrack is a HUGE problem and a shame. It doesn't ruin it since you can put on other music but it's a real disappointment.

The base consoles run horribly - not really a problem for me but it sucks for anyone wanting to play on those machines. It's not good enough.

Tracks could use some more scenery - they look nice but a little barren.

Those are pretty much the main issues I have with it.

Yeah, it seems to run well on Pro, unlike on X1X.
...but it does run well on X1X. It's mostly very stable with an occasional section that dips lower. It's pretty rare, honestly.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
A lot of times when I play racing games, I'll open Pandora in a window and turn down the in-game music, so this really isn't a big deal to me. BUT having a cool soundtrack full of an unknown artist's music could've helped give the game more of an identity. Think of how many classic racers that are known just for their soundtracks.

From the way they made it sound, I don't think Epic moneyhatted them, I think they were just having so much trouble getting recognition on Steam, they decided Epic's store would be a better bet.
Honestly the soundtracks are the main reason I play racing games at all haha. Just love getting super into the game and zoning out while listening to either a great handcrafted or handpicked piece of music.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I have Spotify Premium and will connect and use the feature.. where I am a bit let down is that its not integrated well. Why not pop up the song title as you drive. Though based on the UI not sure I want more of that text on screen..

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yeah, a few people including me dunked on it for EGS exclusvity, which meant less stuff such as leaderboards. And a lot of it are about no soundtrack and Spotify Premium being the sole solution.
Heck when I posted in that thread, I didn't even see the whole leaderboard stuff.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm not sure there are any UE4 racing games delivering a stable 60 on the base consoles. Redout definitely doesn't deliver that.

No no, the X1X isn't bad. It has a few moments like that but it's mostly stable.
Redout isn't 60, but it still feels smooth. I want to get this but 30 + bad framepacing seems like a nightmare for an arcade racer.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I have headphones and I could use foobar, but I would want an ingame music player, where I can change music or albums. Not alt-tabbing and do it by myself or have my mp3 player beside me to listen to music.

Seriously. I do not get how people are defending that...
Perhaps it's because people, such as myself, do not see this as a big deal. As someone who often mutes the in-game music the second I get a game in favor of playing my own music, this is a non issue. If I need to change a song, I use the media buttons on the top of my keyboard.

That's a poor comparison if I'm being honest. While I don't know the budgets of these two games, I have to imagine that developing a semi-realistic looking racing game is far more expensive to create than a fairly simplistic, albeit really cool looking action-rhythm game.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm not sure there are any UE4 racing games delivering a stable 60 on the base consoles. Redout definitely doesn't deliver that.
Yeah I couldn't find a single racing game that ran at 60fps other then Beach Buggy Racing on their base console. Which is pretty disappointing to be honest.

That requires time and money. Given that they made this in seven months and couldn't afford to license music
Oh man yeah it shows definitely that this was done in 7 months.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
When your games score like this of course sales are going to be mediocre, going to EGS without making better games won't help sales.

89QtiJs.png

Well, they can always go back to Steam. What sucks, though, is this is literally the game their old-school fans were waiting for them to make, and then they go to the EGS and risk distancing a lot of those fans as a result. I wish them the best.