• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I'm ok with open world if it also includes Midnight Club-style checkpoint races. Checkpoint races have already been a thing in Burnout (Big Surf Island), plus they're fun and offer a great incentive to make creative circuits.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The first Burnout game was such trash, but sequels were so much better. Maybe the same will apply here?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So they're still a studio of only 7 people ?
Making an open world racing game seems over ambitious with such a small team even if they're getting some assistance from Epic.

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
Closed track racing within an open world sounds good to me. Hopefully it can bring fans of the older Burnout games and Paradise together.

If it turns out to be anything like Hot Pursuit 2010 (but faster) then i'll be happy. That was a good game.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

I loved Dangerous Driving (as well as Criterion's Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit) and I'm really pumped for the followup, but why does the dev sound so standoffish and passive aggressive in that Kotaku interview? It's quite uncomfortable.

He continues, rejecting the premise of being asked to comment on a competitor's product. "What do you think about IGN dot com? What's missing? What do you think of Game Informer? Javy used to work for them," he says, pointing to one of the public relations people helping Three Fields promote the game. "What do you think of Game Informer? They used to sell millions; what's going on? What do you think? Who's going to win Super Tuesday?"

"I wish I could tell you everything we're going to do, but I can't, because I've got to tell you again in Seattle, haven't I?" Ward says, referencing PAX West. "And you won't come and see me again in Seattle, because I've already told you all about it. But, hey, you need the adverts right? So I understand, I really do."

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Dangerous Driving (as well as Criterion's Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit) and I'm really pumped for the followup, but why does the dev sound so standoffish and passive aggressive in that Kotaku interview? It's quite uncomfortable.

That has always been the case with Three Fields Entertainment, right back to their first game when they categorally stated that it wasn't possible to implement a instant restart on levels withouth loading them again (especially annoying for that kind of game), but of course later on added it somehow. Or stuff from the first Dangerous Driving with roadside arrows that point in the exact wrong direction on some turns because "that's how it is in real life roads, too" or something like that - maybe, but your game isn't exactly a simulation either, isn't it?

Their whole way of doing PR is strange as well, gating new information behind a semi-secret feeling mailing list most of the time doesn't strike me as the best way to get people to notice you.

"most people have never heard of us, because we are seven people" - maybe, but e.g. Thomas Happ is one person and also didn't have some pre-advantage like "being the creators of a much-loves arcade-racing series", yet somehow managed to become known to a decent amount of people with his first game. Sorry, but that point doesn't work in your favour.

Last edited:

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ward has always been like that. He seems like a nightmare to work under IMO.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Ward has an incredibly huge head. Granted he's done a lot for the genre but games are made by teams, not individuals.

I remember in an interview once he refused to answer the question of what makes a good NFS because he wanted to be paid for the answer. His newer games are nothing to write home about.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
I might be misremembering, but NFS HP 2010 only had closed circuit. The "open world" aspect was only in map for, you couldn't really free-roam.

This claims to be both NFS HP and Most Wanted. Or both Burnout 3 and Paradise, combined.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
That has always been the case with Three Fields Entertainment, right back to their first game when they categorally stated that it wasn't possible to implement a instant restart on levels withouth loading them again (especially annoying for that kind of game), but of course later on added it somehow. Or stuff from the first Dangerous Driving with roadside arrows that point in the exact wrong direction on some turns because "that's how it is in real life roads, too" or something like that - maybe, but your game isn't exactly a simulation either, isn't it?

Their whole way of doing PR is strange as well, gating new information behind a semi-secret feeling mailing list most of the time doesn't strike me as the best way to get people to notice you.

"most people have never heard of us, because we are seven people" - maybe, but e.g. Thomas Happ is one person and also didn't have some pre-advantage like "being the creators of a much-loves arcade-racing series", yet somehow managed to become known to a decent amount of people with his first game. Sorry, but that point doesn't work in your favour.

Ward has always been like that. He seems like a nightmare to work under IMO.

Ward has an incredibly huge head. Granted he's done a lot for the genre but games are made by teams, not individuals.

I remember in an interview once he refused to answer the question of what makes a good NFS because he wanted to be paid for the answer. His newer games are nothing to write home about.

It just makes me not want to support somebody who acts in such a strangely passive aggressive manner. Like, did he have beef with Kotaku or something?

I'll pick up Dangerous Driving 2 but it'll be to support the others at the studio rather than this guy.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I might be misremembering, but NFS HP 2010 only had closed circuit. The "open world" aspect was only in map for, you couldn't really free-roam.

This claims to be both NFS HP and Most Wanted. Or both Burnout 3 and Paradise, combined.

You had the option to drive around the open world. You couldn't race or anything but could still freely drive if you wanted to.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Granted, I haven't played that game in maybe 7 years, but I don't think I ever knew that. And I got like 80% through it. Crazy.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't fully gotten into a racer in years, so might take a trip back to Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted while I wait for this to come out. Dangerous Driving isn't the most exciting title mind you. Part of me wished they'd have called Dangerous 2: High Impact or something instead, and let "Dangerous" become the racing brand going forward.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It just makes me not want to support somebody who acts in such a strangely passive aggressive manner. Like, did he have beef with Kotaku or something?

I'll pick up Dangerous Driving 2 but it'll be to support the others at the studio rather than this guy.
It's more like he thinks he's the absolute master at game design and if you even slightly poise a thought that remotely questions that he will get super pissed.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Granted, I haven't played that game in maybe 7 years, but I don't think I ever knew that. And I got like 80% through it. Crazy.

They didn´t made it a big selling point either, it was kinda there and there was nothing to do around the map. Underground 1 had this concept too but there was no option to freeroam the map.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
So about that giveaway they did last week. I first signed up with a wrong email by mistake, and apparently wasn't the only one, because I just received 30+ emails all intended for different people (each with their own name and email address). Quite a woopsie :D

kVqXFYi.jpg