• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
We really gonna do this? They're listed as anonymous for a reason and are victims of circumstance. maybe consider deleting?

Accidentally or not, they weren't anonymous in one of the early postings, hence why I mentioned it, but you're right, now that they've decided to share personal info about the one dev's health it's best not to put the spotlight on them.

Under what basis are these articles being taken down?

Medium sucks ass and routinely and disproportionately removes accusations against racists, abusers and other dirtbags. This isn't new for them.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
Nicalis, Chucklefish and now Dangen. How many other indie publishers are screwing over devs?

OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
Lordran
*snip* I realized that I don't have concrete information to back up what I said, and it was a mistake to gossip. Sorry about that

Last edited:

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
The second Medium article was even more infuriating to read. I really hope it will end up well for the people affected by Dangens malice

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ben Judd and Nayan not being there considering their positions really seems like a ''sweep it under the rug''-situation instead of them being fired.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Under what basis are these articles being taken down?
Medium sucks ass and routinely and disproportionately removes accusations against racists, abusers and other dirtbags. This isn't new for them.
It's against their ToS to post chat logs and the likes.

...Which then raises the question for why Dangen's response on Medium is still up. 🤔 Maybe no one tried to bring it down, but I doubt that. Maybe the takedown request needs to come from someone specific using a specific procedure and they couldn't be bothered, I dunno.

Dec 2, 2019
It's against their ToS to post chat logs and the likes.

...Which then raises the question for why Dangen's response on Medium is still up. 🤔 Maybe no one tried to bring it down, but I doubt that. Maybe the takedown request needs to come from someone specific using a specific procedure and they couldn't be bothered, I dunno.

It seems to be down now

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Reb from GI.biz is on the case:

Glad someone is looking at it. Hope others are too, I mean I can understand why there were no immediate articles, there's a hell of a lot of information here, and people to follow up with. But you'd hope at least a few people are doing their research for a piece on this right now.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Holy fucking shit, the first Medium article was one hell of a ride but the second one is some of the wildest shit I've read.

"I assume you do have empathy" in regards to autism holy shit. Fuck Dangen Entertainment.

Dec 2, 2017
Practically everyone at the event had some completely random story about Ben Judd being weird or creepy or horrible. Most of the stories I heard that night involved Ben running up to people while drunk at industry events and acting out, exposing his genitalia in public, etc. At one point I asked, "Am I seriously the only one here who's managed to not see Ben Judd's penis yet?"

Okay, how is this anecdote buried toward the end of the 2nd medium article?

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, how is this anecdote buried toward the end of the 2nd medium article?
It's also buried in the first comment to the USGamer article (which predates the 2nd medium article). It appears to be an open secret to everybody who already experienced it, but nobody was warning all those not in the known yet.

Alex dirtbagboyfriend was asking this on Twitter as well:

Edit: May as well post Alex's accounts of Ben Judd here as well (Alex pls pm me if you feel like this is not the place for it and I'll remove it again):

Google Docs link

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Posting those is fine, I didn't have the stomach to post them myself. Thank you for being considerate though!

I just want to make sure I clarify: I am NOT the Writer of the two medium posts. We are two different people. Also at least two (three?) people who knew me when I dated Judd have corroborated my accounts, including his penchant for public nudity.
EDIT:
Here's one of the tweets:

data

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they're hiding the employee pages shows that something suspicious is actually going on.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I think there was one back when this first came up (before all of the Dangen stories were coming out). Pretty shameful that there has been no reckoning at all with everything that's been said about him.

The language/media barrier used to insulate a lot of people like Judd from any overseas blowback, but these recent accusations have been picked up by Japanese media outlets like IGN Japan and are buzzing with a lot of indie devs, so I don't think he's going to be able to avoid consequences in the same way he may have before.

Perhaps the most effective way to put indirect pressure on him is to hit up Bitsummit in the hopes that they disavow him.

The fact that they're hiding the employee pages shows that something suspicious is actually going on.

Someone suggested they might simply be doing that for the purposes of SEO and part of me thinks that might be all it is.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I think there was one back when this first came up (before all of the Dangen stories were coming out). Pretty shameful that there has been no reckoning at all with everything that's been said about him.
Are you talking about this thread?

The language/media barrier used to insulate a lot of people like Judd from any overseas blowback, but these recent accusations have been picked up by Japanese media outlets like IGN Japan and are buzzing with a lot of indie devs, so I don't think he's going to be able to avoid consequences in the same way he may have before.
https://twitter.com/OnTakahashi is doing a great job keeping the Japanese side on board. This was missing back in August.

Perhaps the most effective way to put indirect pressure on him is to hit up Bitsummit in the hopes that they disavow him.
About that...

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand what you mean here. Can you clarify?
SEO = Search Engine Optimization. They remove the names in the hope that search engines don't list the companies when looking up Judd etc.

We may as well do the opposite. Ben Judd was or is linked with Capcom, DDMA, Kantaru, JIGA, BitSummit, DANGEN, and DDM.

Edit: Corrected DMMA and DMM to DDMA and DDM respectively.

Last edited:

data

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell.

It sounds like a bad situation all around.

It's ironic the seo result now leads to the resetera thread specifically about Ben. Hope it gets boosted.

If DDM is truly that influential, I don't see this likely taking off considering someone has mentioned they control some Japanese news publication.

It sucks but I hope the news get boosted

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

I think that's conjecture on the part of that poster, and that it's more likely a lot of the bigger Japanese outlets aren't covering it because most of them, especially the older ones, barely even pretend to be journalistic and never cover issues of this nature, regardless of who's involved. The same can be said of a lot of international outlets, frankly.

I agree that the Japanese reporting is far from widespread but had this story come out even just five years ago, I wouldn't have expected any coverage whatsoever.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic the seo result now leads to the resetera thread specifically about Ben. Hope it gets boosted.

If DDM is truly that influential, I don't see this likely taking off considering someone has mentioned they control some Japanese news publication.

It sucks but I hope the news get boosted
Yes, resetera (and the former place before that) is ranking pretty high on searches, especially if the info is getting removed at other places. Unfortunately tweets that are removed are no longer shown on resetera either so it's actually a better idea to copy them.

And I don't know about the extend of DDM's influence. As On Takahashi mentioned Ben Judd is a partner at DDM as well as Executive VP for DDM Japan, archive.org fortunately has an older snapshot from before the SEO removal: http://web.archive.org/web/20180903164333/https://www.ddmagency.com/about/team/
"As a board member of JIGA, the organization that runs BitSummit, DANGEN is a big enough publisher to have a large booth alongside Nintendo at BitSummit every year." (source tweet)
"All the big Japanese gaming media like "Famitsu" and "4Gamer" are "Official Partners" of BitSummit (which Ben Judd is a board member of). And so they have remained silent." (source tweet)

I think that's conjecture on the part of that poster, and that it's more likely a lot of the bigger Japanese outlets aren't covering it because most of them, especially the older ones, barely even pretend to be journalistic and never cover issues of this nature, regardless of who's involved. The same can be said of a lot of international outlets, frankly.

I agree that the Japanese reporting is far from widespread but had this story come out even just five years ago, I wouldn't have expected any coverage whatsoever.
It's not like the reporting is hugely happening anywhere either way (yet). It's just always a good idea to keep in mind any potential conflicts of interests involved since that's what keeping the silence strong. The more knowledge about that the better for everybody involved.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Dangen sounds worse after reading the second article.

Will make sure to remind people I know to never support the works they produce. Ben Judd will forever be a red flag for me, and I say this liking Sekiro and Bloodstained, two projects he was involved in...

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Will make sure to remind people I know to never support the works they produce. Ben Judd will forever be a red flag for me, and I say this liking Sekiro and Bloodstained, two projects he was involved in...
The sad part is several reputable developers just so happen to have Dangen as their publisher, and now it's like having their names tainted along with this company. I wish there was a way to separate them from their publisher and continue supporting the devs themselves.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an official moderator decision but a personal one, but right now for better or worse this Era thread is the most collective place of information on this whole situation online because things keep on being taken down. Link tweets, websites and the like directly that are doing the reporting, research and opening up of what's going down, but it might be a good idea for people to post text transcript versions of what is written and said or keep a text version on hand to post if the source goes down, due to how there's being efforts to keep all of this hushed.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

He was involved in Sekiro?, now I feel dirty playing it