• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody please summarise in point form what the problems are with Ben Judd? There is so much content that it is difficult to separate his personal issues.
everything you need is in the op. i understand there is a lot, but that's kind of the point.

also his "personal issues" are part of the problem and cannot be separated.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
everything you need is in the op. i understand there is a lot, but that's kind of the point.

also his "personal issues" are part of the problem and cannot be separated.
I tried tucking into it but there is a lot of content. It would be good if the OP could be updated with a summary as at the moment it quotes only a reply from what seems like an employee of the accused company. It's a little one-sided.

Are there alternative sources with summaries? News articles etc.

I would like to see each allegation highlighted if possible.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I tried tucking into it but there is a lot of content. It would be good if the OP could be updated with a summary as at the moment it quotes only a reply from what seems like an employee of the accused company. It's a little one-sided.

Are there alternative sources with summaries? News articles etc.

I would like to see each allegation highlighted if possible.

The second of the three links at the bottom of the OP is a reply from the company. Just search for Judd's name if you really want to find only the complaints/response about him.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The second of the three links at the bottom of the OP is a reply from the company. Just search for Judd's name if you really want to find only the complaints/response about him.
This is pretty much the first thing I did but it would be handy if somebody who knows both sides of the story could chime in with a summary. It sounds like the story has developed quite a lot.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
The game in question--Devil Engine, is ace-looking though, first time I ever heard about it. If I buy it on Switch, will my money go to Dangen? I think I saw something about how the dev handles the switch version on his own but I'm just making sure.

From what I can find it doesn't seem like they're in the clear yet, but it's hard to find information about it, it might be better to just reach out and ask them in a DM or something

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The game in question--Devil Engine, is ace-looking though, first time I ever heard about it. If I buy it on Switch, will my money go to Dangen? I think I saw something about how the dev handles the switch version on his own but I'm just making sure.

Dangen still gets that money, no matter which version you buy.

The dev ported the game to Switch on his own but it's still published by Dangen.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
think we could bring in Jim Sterling or someone to raise awareness on this? predating on a dev's autism is straight up vile. And the rest is just... fuck.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I want to buy Devil-Engine and I want to make sure the devs get the money due to them from said purchase. What resources do I have to facilitate this?

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second medium post is pretty damning. Shame on Dangen and anyone who keeps defending them.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't most indie devs self publish their games on the various storefronts? Or is Dangen a partner for physical releases?

Not necessarily. It can be tough for very small developers to acquire devkits, market your game, translate and localize your game, and deal with legal obligations without a publisher handling all of that. In this case however it would appear that Dangen are incapable of handling their own publishing duties.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't read the whole thing, but I would say that it gives a Dangen an awful, almost distasteful, reputation.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't most indie devs self publish their games on the various storefronts? Or is Dangen a partner for physical releases?

Nope a lot of Indies, specifically indie devs consisted of small teams, looks for publishers to handle things like marketing, PR, ports, QA and localization.

Wow.

I legit was actually buying some of the bullshit they were saying in their rebuttal. I feel horrible after reading the second article posted. What fucking assholes, trying to paint her like a scheming manipulator to change the narrative and shift the blame to her for their fuck ups.

And to know some people like Kaga and Matt K. came from Nicalis' bullshit to this crap...I hope they get out while and if they still can, like the Renaine dev did. Hell, I hope everybody can. There are a lot of games still under them I want to support but I sure af don't wanna support Dangen in the process.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wow.

I legit was actually buying some of the bullshit they were saying in their rebuttal. I feel horrible after reading the second article posted. What fucking assholes, trying to paint her like a scheming manipulator to change the narrative and shift the blame to her for their fuck ups.

And to know some people like Kaga and Matt K. came from Nicalis' bullshit to this crap...I hope they get out while and if they still can, like the Renaine dev did. Hell, I hope everybody can. There are a lot of games still under them I want to support but I sure af don't wanna support Dangen in the process.
Yeah that's pretty fucked up I'll make sure to never set foot and steer people far away from them.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
I hope that all the games mentioned are able to get themselves out of Dangen fuckery. I would buy their games in a heartbeat knowing they'd get as much money as possible.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the response makes it clear that the developers were paid and that issues were tax and banking related as myself and numerous others stated before.

I think there are an awful lot of people in this thread that owe Nyan an apology. Regardless of what concerns you may or may not have with Mr.Judd it's fairly clear Nyan has acted in good faith and made effort to make up directly for his mistakes (Golden Week Sale). It's also very clear that the writer of the first article fancied themselves a tax expert and made monetary promises to the developers that did not follow tax liability.

let's not forget that the whole hullabaloo and cause for this article was originally that Dangen was "robbing" or not paying their developers. That is clearly not the case here.

that said I hope Nyan and the team at Dangen have taken folks concerns about Mr. Judd very seriously and I think it would be a good idea for them to comment on how they handled those allegations and where they stand on the matter.
It's time to admit your buddy fucked up at his job. There's no need to coddle and defend him this desperately. Let this hopefully be a learning experience for him instead.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Christ. Kaga really, really got unlucky to end up with Dangen for Vestaria Saga.
Sweet Jesus. I have no hope for that game's English release now. He really did catch an awful break and it sucks to think of how Dangen might be screwing over a guy that just wanted to revisit a genre that's been his career-long passion.

And that's a blip next to literally everything else Dangen has done.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Having a publisher makes it a lot easier to do ports because they can handle the console cert process (which can be notoriously difficult if your don't know what they look for) and can contract porting studios to help. Also from what I've read it sounds like a big part of Dangen's appeal is that they had a reputation for high quality localizations so they were very appealing to western indie devs who wanted their game localized for Japanese audiences or Japanese indie devs who wanted their game localized for western audiences.

nickinerdface

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what's so frustrating to me reading this is that apparently, again, a large percentage of the people in this particular section of the industry knew ben judd was a creep, and no one said anything? and we're having to rely on a woman, again, with her own set of challenges (specifically at the end of her second article where she goes into more detail about her health) to do the heavy lifting. i really hope the writer has a good support group around her and she can get the rest and yes, the money, she deserves at the end of all this.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously fuck anyone still employed at Dangen at this point (excluding the devs they worked with obviously). This second article is stomach-churning to read.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That last medium link says account under investigation, is it mirrored anywhere?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, they just deleted the article again. Had the page opened so was able to read it but as soon as I refreshed it was gone.

Fucking Dangen.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Wow... It looks like the original writer made an huge SECOND post about dangen. Apparently they were able to recover their slack archives and found a ton of stuff?

https://medium.com/@dangenwarning/dangen-entertainment-warning-2-e11e04ab78ea

Seems to explain the stolen rev share/tax situation a lot better, along with a lot of other stuff. I'm still reading but this is well worth going over.

Do we have a mirror of this up anywhere? Of course it would be taken down.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised the 2nd article was taken down.

Clearly the actions of an innocent company. What assholes.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The 1st post on Medium was already damning but the second one is basically shredding what little credibility Dangen had left.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yep, not buying any Dangen stuff.

Hopefully the devs can all escape. Publishers shouldn't be trying to figure out how to pay their devs on the fly.