• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand if they are not, PG can quite easily state as much before this blows up.

Sure, and the reason they're giving such shitty non-answers is because Dangen's involved and they don't want to admit it, nor throw them under the bus (out of a misguided sense of professionalism, I'd guess, and not any real loyalty or sympathy for Dangen).

They already made over a million dollars and I doubt the vast majority of their backers will give the slightest shit about Dangen's involvement, so I don't think it'd ever "blow up" the way some might hope it would

Pearlbie

Dec 4, 2019
Probably because they're likely buddies from Capcom days. Wiki (last I checked in December) for Judd says Inaba, Platinum's CEO, is an advisor to Dangen.

As much as I like Platinum... with their financial status over the years, you really gotta take their advice on (and practice of) business with a pinch of salt.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Wiki (last I checked in December) for Judd says Inaba, Platinum's CEO, is an advisor to Dangen.
It's all still there (properly sourced as well), it's obviously a long running contact:
Judd set up a deal with Microsoft for PlatinumGames to develop the action role playing game Scalebound.[39] The game was later cancelled in 2017.[43] He has also acted as a translator for Hideki Kamiya.[44] Judd acted as a translator for Kamiya and Inaba for the announcement of Bayonetta 3.[45]
(...)
Atsushi Inaba, co-founder of PlatinumGames, is advising Dangen.[47]

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah with Dangen's involvement, regardless of how deep it is, I will be staying far away from that KS.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
It's so depressing that it feels like Dangen is gonna be able to get away with everything just like THQ Nordic did all because the vast majority of people can't be bothered to give a fuck.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Has any mod mentioned anything about adding a note on the OT or thread title for the kickstarter to add the possible involvement of Dangen? I report the OT to suggest the change but didn't get any response.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Has any mod mentioned anything about adding a note on the OT or thread title for the kickstarter to add the possible involvement of Dangen? I report the OT to suggest the change but didn't get any response.
Neither did I unfortunately, suggested ("reported") several title updates in the past that seemingly weren't picked up.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Connections trump controversy. Dangen provides a service and has deeply entrenched themselves in the JP dev scene and has connections with high profile devs/indies. That's how the exploitative people/abusers stick around. Just look at Matt Conn/Nicalis or any of the other abusers/exploitative companies still around.

Hell, can just look at Harvey Weinstein and how he only got ousted after decades despite everyone having experienced it themselves directly or indirectly and telling people to not be alone with him.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Shit did not realize Dangen was behind the Kickstarter of Platinum games. More weary now. Thanks for highlighting it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Will buy DE Switch for full price as soon as the devs get rights back. Crazy they've been forced to sit on a PS4 port for a year now.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Let's not forget that their statement saying Ben Judd would step down from his position was just words: He's still CEO at Dangen according to official records.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
What are the allegations against him?
Gross incompetence (example: "forgot" to put Devil Engine on the Golden Week sale, which is one of the most important sales for Japanese and Japanese-inspired games), generally seemingly avoiding doing his job and lying to devs/third parties.

dangenwarning.wordpress.com

Dangen Entertainment Warning

A warning about the predatory business practices and sexually inappropriate behavior of Dangen Entertainment and its CEO Ben Judd.
Thetrin is Nayan.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
What is Dangen actually waiting for at this point? Surely they wouldn't hold on to devil engine for the sole purposes of making themselves look bad.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I love Era but if we started banning people for being incompetent at their jobs I would be out of here so quick. I'm not on Dangen's side in any regard, but what a weird desire to have action taken against him here.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love Era but if we started banning people for being incompetent at their jobs I would be out of here so quick. I'm not on Dangen's side in any regard, but what a weird desire to have action taken against him here.

I'm this case he literally gaslit the accusations and then went silent after the follow-up to their response.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Gross incompetence (example: "forgot" to put Devil Engine on the Golden Week sale, which is one of the most important sales for Japanese and Japanese-inspired games), generally seemingly avoiding doing his job and lying to devs/third parties.

dangenwarning.wordpress.com

Dangen Entertainment Warning

A warning about the predatory business practices and sexually inappropriate behavior of Dangen Entertainment and its CEO Ben Judd.
Thetrin is Nayan.
so he should be banned for alleged incompetence at his job? Some of you guys are unbelievable.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Guys, I'm pretty sure the mods have a handle on this. No need to backseat for them.
In the meantime you don't have to interact with anyone you don't wish to.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
What are the allegations against him?
He had the balls to come into this topic and lie about all this shit to defend himself and his company and then just disappear when it became clear this wasn't a molehill while still posting in other topics like nothing happened.
Not grounds to be banned certainly, but it was absolutely gross behavior and at the very least nothing they say should be considered trustworthy.

Plus they seem perfectly happy working with/for a sexual abuser, who is still effectively running the company despite attempts to make it seem like he was ousted on paper.

Oct 25, 2017
so he should be banned for alleged incompetence at his job? Some of you guys are unbelievable.
Nah, for this:
Hey everyone.

I loathe writing messages like this, because it means that something is on fire. I really wish I was writing a post about how awesome I thought X-men #2 was, or how much I'm enjoying Jedi Fallen Order.

That said, I think it's proper that I handle the issue at hand directly. Since even before its release, the developer of Devil Engine has been verbally abusive to us, and has been hugely toxic to our entire team. The toxicity got to a point that it started to affect my mental state, and we eventually mutually agreed to a commucation proxy to get work done. (I'm happy to offer up evidence if asked, but I'm not doing so right now to keep this post legible).

There is no question that we made mistakes while working with the developer. We're not perfect. When mistakes were made, we did our best to rectify the situation.

Soon after the release of Devil Engine, the developer assigned a proxy to receive all revenue they had earned. This was to expedite payment and make sure that they DID NOT receive payment late. Withholding tax when transferring money out of the country is a giant headache, which is why a proxy based in Japan was chosen. We paid the developer's proxy on July 23rd, well within the rules of the contract we signed. We also supplied evidence to the developer of the payment..

And now they're attacking one of our other developers, encouraging people to pirate the game instead of buying it. Bug Fables is an incredible game that deserves better. Moonsprout Games has been working for a very long time on the game, and has created something that we're insanely lucky and proud to be working with. They do not deserve this.

Anyway, if anyone has questions or would like evidence, I do need to ask our counsel what we're able to make public, as we do have an NDA in place. I hope this clears things up.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm pretty sure the mods have a handle on this.
The mods haven't visibly acted since months. I've just reported yet another request for an update of this thread's outdated title. If that again doesn't go through I'm going to create a new thread over the weekend with all relevant info in the title and OP.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If Era mods really wanted to make a stand I'd rather see them ban Dangen as a company than thetrin as a poster (who's pretty clearly not touching any of the Dangen stuff anymore). This may actually have some impact on things as Era is so heavily trafficked and topics like the W101 Kickstarter would be closed due to Dangen's involvement.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on how things have been with Dangen for the Bug Fables devs? Debating on picking up the game for Switch.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Any word on how things have been with Dangen for the Bug Fables devs? Debating on picking up the game for Switch.

Dangen's still scummy about DE so I say do not buy anything they publish. Period. No Bug Fables either since I honestly bet there's something sketchy behind the scenes as well, though maybe not on the same scale as DE.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Dangen's still scummy about DE so I say do not buy anything they publish. Period. No Bug Fables either since I honestly bet there's something sketchy behind the scenes as well, though maybe not on the same scale as DE.
Thanks. Sucks for the Bug Fables devs though.... Did they ever say or hint at anything?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
God I wondered why the talked about DLC for Devil Engine never turned up. I was wanting to buy the game but I will wait till I know I can give my money to the actual developer. This should be a way bigger story

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
8TelnRn.png

Just wanted to cross-post this. Relieved they are getting paid at least.