• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Hoo boy, that medium article seems pretty damning.

Devil Engine is such an amazing game, the crazy delays to Ignition and the PS4 port definitely seemed suspect.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The whole indie scene looks EXTREME to me. You've got devs that earn millions from their weird title while some other post about how they starved themselves for years for a game that didn't find its audience and made virtually no money.

Is there some normal, healthy average studios out there?

Indie development by nature is extremely luck-based and prone to extremes. A few make it big; many make their first and last game out of pocket and then have to move on to office jobs (this is probably going to be me next year :D). It's pretty much "roll a dice, that's the number of digits on how much you're going to make".

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, Bug Fables is something I've been interested in so next year when they're supposed to get royalties I hope we can find out if they can actually make anything from it.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In light of accusations like being too busy playing AAA games to do any actual work, starting a response post with "wish I were talking about Jedi Fallen Order" feels like a mistake huh.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
So... we've got a huge medium article that just dropped, going over everything. It's a doozy.

I think the best detail here is how the Dangen guy would avoid work emails and spend all of his time playing Destiny, and then in this very thread, his response starts with a parenthetical about how he'd rather be talking about comics or video games.

I'm only like 30-40% through that article, but holy shit @ those cringe Ben Judd emails.

In light of accusations like being too busy playing AAA games to do any actual work, starting a response post with "wish I were talking about Jedi Fallen Order" feels like a mistake huh.
lol beat

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished reading the entire post.
Yeah. This is fucked.
Words can't even begin to express how disappointed I am by Dangen Entertainment.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn, I'm only like 20% through the article and this is already absurd, completely unacceptable. Ben Judd is a complete creep, but what's more fucked up is that it seems the whole company is implicit in this absurd level of incompetence.
Shit, I really hope the devs haven't been too badly damaged by Dangen, stories like these tend to end badly for the devs and it always hurts me deeply to see it continuing to happen.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So I assume we won't be hearing from DE ITT again... and that they'll just carry on as normal.

Read that entire article, I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been for the developers to deal with this.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see the response from Dangen. Has anyone seen anything?

Probably still recovering from a night of drinking. you don't say no to THE JUDD

What a shame about their incompetence and creepiness from the founder, they have a bunch of really dope games in their catalog that I would have a hard time supporting now. Bug Fable and Disc Creatures both look great.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This is super disappointing. I had always liked thetrins posts and was super excited when I heard about DE making some waves. I would like to see a reply from them, but I won't be surprised if they never do, and I don't expect one would change how I feel after reading that.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
As a backer of Fight Knight I feel for them having to deal with such an absolutely scummy company. Between Dangen, Nicalis and Chucklefish there are a lot of assholes trying to rope indie devs into bad deals and capitalize off the good will.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I'm def not buying another Dangen game after reading that article. The emails and messages are pretty damning.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Still reading through it, but damn this is an insane read.

Edit: Jesus the part where no one at Dangen told them about the third party publishers being interested.

Last edited:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Youre not going to see anything until Monday at the earliest most likely due to this being a holiday weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they've got the legal service on the phones though.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I read the whole article, and yeah, I'm pretty much convinced that this is truth, sadly. I was hopeful the one guy behind Dangen I followed for months that I considered a good peer was just not involved in this, but then it outright points out a series of kickstarter related vids he made that are omega yikes. He also removed them after the article was live too so I no longer trust them.

Whatever the case or resolution ends up being, I absolutely hope it leads to Ben Judd getting some sort of punishment or booting from the industry. I've heard a lot of scary and not-so-good things about him beforehand, but this just cements all those and makes ir way worse. Especially for the devs who got screwed over by some pretty silly things from what I read in the article (not prepping for a fucking golden week sale when you're based IN JAPAN? come on, how could that even be possible if it WASN'T intentional? There's a huge reason companies take that holiday week off and mark things on sale)

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines

What the actual fuck. That Medium article is packed to the brim with receipts. Manipulative and incompetent.

Those Dangen dudes are crazy, hopefully indie devs give them a wide berth moving forward.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Skimming through that article and it's a very disheartening read. I hope everything works out for the developers in the end. Dangan seems like a woefully inept company at best.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I wonder if that guy from Dangen who posted earlier in the thread will have the guts to come back and post his "receipts" now that the article is up.

Spoder

Oct 24, 2017
The lack of support, communication, and professionalism given from Dangan to their developers are pretty bad and baffling. I am actually surprised that it can be this bad.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished reading the whole thing. Holy fuck, thread needs a title update. This is like Nicalis-level, possibly worse.

I wonder if that guy from Dangen who posted earlier in the thread will have the guts to come back and post his "receipts" now that the article is up.
He pretty much got thrown under the bus by Ben. Wouldn't be surprised if he just quits.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Willing to bet that evidence thetrin mentioned about the Devil Engine devs being verbally abusive to Dangen staff is just that stuff from the medium article of them being rightfully pissed with things like Dangen withholding sales info or keeping them in the dark about an outside publisher getting stonewalled when wanting to talk about a physical release.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Can't blame the dev for their tone. That's their livelihood, and it wasn't treated with the kind of care you'd expect from a good publisher.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished that article and am completely floored. Much respect and best of luck to the devs.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy... I'm freaking speechless there's just so much.

Seriously fuck Ben Judd, what a fucking pos.

Hey everyone.

I loathe writing messages like this, because it means that something is on fire. I really wish I was writing a post about how awesome I thought X-men #2 was, or how much I'm enjoying Jedi Fallen Order.

That said, I think it's proper that I handle the issue at hand directly. Since even before its release, the developer of Devil Engine has been verbally abusive to us, and has been hugely toxic to our entire team. The toxicity got to a point that it started to affect my mental state, and we eventually mutually agreed to a commucation proxy to get work done. (I'm happy to offer up evidence if asked, but I'm not doing so right now to keep this post legible).

There is no question that we made mistakes while working with the developer. We're not perfect. When mistakes were made, we did our best to rectify the situation.

Soon after the release of Devil Engine, the developer assigned a proxy to receive all revenue they had earned. This was to expedite payment and make sure that they DID NOT receive payment late. Withholding tax when transferring money out of the country is a giant headache, which is why a proxy based in Japan was chosen. We paid the developer's proxy on July 23rd, well within the rules of the contract we signed. We also supplied evidence to the developer of the payment..

And now they're attacking one of our other developers, encouraging people to pirate the game instead of buying it. Bug Fables is an incredible game that deserves better. Moonsprout Games has been working for a very long time on the game, and has created something that we're insanely lucky and proud to be working with. They do not deserve this.

Anyway, if anyone has questions or would like evidence, I do need to ask our counsel what we're able to make public, as we do have an NDA in place. I hope this clears things up.
Also fucking oof at this post now.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I started reading the medium article, then realized how long it is, holy shit.

I've read enough so far though to safely say that this Judd asshole can go fuck himself.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not a good look.

plaim3X.png

Dam