• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Coming exclusively to the Oculus Quest and Rift platform this Spring!

With a 32-song soundtrack and specially choreographed routines to get you moving in VR, Dance Central immerses you in the only club where the music never stops. Customize your look, take an in-game selfie, and then show off your moves and full-body avatar to up to three friends in Dance Central's all-new multiplayer modes. Or perfect your routine in the studio before hitting the floor to dance with your favorite Dance Central characters. Dance Central is back!

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/games/dance-central (website not updated)

I'm personally stoked about this. The DC games always had a great charm to them, and I found the display mechanism for the moves was significantly better than Just Dance's.

So happy to see Harmonix not giving up, despite their teams being so tiny compared to years ago. Seems like they're all in on VR stuff, which is understandable, with both Audica and this coming.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dance Central got tons of play with my Kinect. It's a great workout, too. Just let me preorder the Quest already, Oculus!

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dance Central was perfect for Kinect.

Don't see the point for VR. It's getting sweaty in the headset and there is no tracking of your body or legs

OP
OP
tarman76

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we posted about the same time. Yours is fancier so mods and squash my thread.

That said, I sweat just playing Contractors so i cant imagine dancing in a headset is going to be wonderful.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dance Central lives

When are they bringing over this, though?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Loved Dance Central 1 & 2 for Kinect so much. It easily wiped the floor with Just Dance which only tracked your hand. I always thought this was so boring when DC for Kinect tracked everything. It was awesome.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I love VR but it seems like a downgrade compared to Kinect for that game.
Would make sense if there was also support for additional VIVE Tracker ( or equivalent ) for your foot at least, but they cost an arm.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I love Dance Central, but this is surprising. Isn't DC owned by Microsoft?

Also seems to lose a bit with just tracking hand and general head movement. It's a good fit for Quest though.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I can see a dancing game being pretty damn awesome in VR but it's gonna get sweaty inside that headset.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So this is like a solo player game now? I thought most of the fun was playing with friends. Seems like a perfect fit for Kinect, not so much VR.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Hell yeah, day one. I bought a Kinect on a whim one bored weekend and Dance Central is the only fun I ever had with it lol.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a bad idea.

It's easy to get sweaty with the VR headset doing even the most basic actions. With all dancing, you'll be wearing a gross sweat boss on your head.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a bit of an odd choice for VR for two reasons: the headset strikes me as potentially prohibitive for head movement - particularly if wired - and I'm not sure that a rhythm game hugely benefits from being immersed in a virtual world. Curious to see where they go with it, because they might well be making clever creative choices that I'm not imagining right now.

Edit: Oh, yes, sweat is potentially a concern, too. Hadn't thought of that. I know on PSVR I have to leave it on for a short while to normalise the temperature within before playing else my glasses will steam up, don't know if the PC options have better venting but if not, could get pretty unpleasant in there.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Coming exclusively to the Oculus Quest and Rift platform this Spring!

With a 32-song soundtrack and specially choreographed routines to get you moving in VR, Dance Central immerses you in the only club where the music never stops. Customize your look, take an in-game selfie, and then show off your moves and full-body avatar to up to three friends in Dance Central's all-new multiplayer modes. Or perfect your routine in the studio before hitting the floor to dance with your favorite Dance Central characters. Dance Central is back!

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/games/dance-central (website not updated)

I'm personally stoked about this. The DC games always had a great charm to them, and I found the display mechanism for the moves was significantly better than Just Dance's.

So happy to see Harmonix not giving up, despite their teams being so tiny compared to years ago. Seems like they're all in on VR stuff, which is understandable, with both Audica and this coming.

Oculus Quest...oh my god. This is it. The killer app I needed.

I want to get Quest day one now oh my god.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a bad idea.

It's easy to get sweaty with the VR headset doing even the most basic actions. With all dancing, you'll be wearing a gross sweat boss on your head.

There are loads of exercise games on VR platforms. Yes, you do get sweaty. But there are after market solutions to that if it's a concern but you still want to go all out.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
1) Seems like a regression in regards to tracking considering it's merely tracking your position in space via your head and your hands and not taking your feet into consideration which was the only real strength Dance Central had over other dancing titles.

2) You're really going to need to fasten your headset on tight or else you're risking terrible head bob and knocking your headset off.

3) The sweat is going to be a real damn problem. If you think Sprint Vector or Beat Saber got you, oof, this is going to soak ya.

iKhayal

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona, Spain
I don't know what Sony is doing not going after them to have both this and Audica on the PSVR.

For me, Dance Central is way better than Just Dance so I'm really happy that Harmonix is continuing with the series. I thought that after Spotlight they had forgot about it. Really good news! Maybe it's time to start considering another VR headset apart from PSVR... :D

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I loved the 360 versions of dance central. Microsoft ruined it on the xbox one by making the game 30 fps and only giving you 10 songs initially. I my oculus rift is ready for this version :) .

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what Sony is doing not going after them to have both this and Audica on the PSVR.

For me, Dance Central is way better than Just Dance so I'm really happy that Harmonix is continuing with the series. I thought that after Spotlight they had forgot about it. Really good news! Maybe it's time to start considering another VR headset apart from PSVR... :D

For that matter, I'm mildly surprised there appears to have been no movement towards a VR mode for Amplitude PS4.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
RIP my thread header :V

Also echoing the concerns here about no leg tracking. Would absolutely die to see this out for Kinect, but I totally understand why.

I loved the 360 versions of dance central. Microsoft ruined it on the xbox one by making the game 30 fps and only giving you 10 songs initially. I my oculus rift is ready for this version :) .

Uhhh... Microsoft didn't "make it" that way, Harmonix did... This was also when they were on a massive skeleton staff before Rockband 4 was announced and finally for more income flowing their way.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like this is going to encourage more leg movement than is probably safe while blindly moving around your living room.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Should have been a Vive game with support for tracker pucks. Oculus needs a solution for this, I don't see much of a point to a dancing game that only tracks your hands. I could just play Just Dance if I wanted something dumb and shallow.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
RIP my thread header :V

Also echoing the concerns here about no leg tracking. Would absolutely die to see this out for Kinect, but I totally understand why.

Uhhh... Microsoft didn't "make it" that way, Harmonix did... This was also when they were on a massive skeleton staff before Rockband 4 was announced and finally for more income flowing their way.

Ah, didnt know about the skeleton staff. I figured with all the blunders within the xbox division at the time Microsoft had to be responsible. Im glad Dance Central is no a dead series. I will miss the Kinect's ability to detect leg movement.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Hands-On: https://uploadvr.com/dance-central-vr-preview/

I thought this was pretty interesting:

All in all the gameplay is pretty much identical to how it worked on Xbox with Kinect, except this time you're in VR. And now there's multiplayer too. You'll be able to hop online and join people in a social hub space, do solo and team dance battles, or even just hang around the DJ booth and chat. It's an impressively social game when you really dig into it. The cross-platform multiplayer should help it become a popular party game destination both online and locally with friends. Passing the Quest around will be super simple, especially if casting works like Go.

The soundtrack has some surprisingly new and big titles, imo:

This probably explains how they secured that track list (beat saber am cry):

Harmonix told me that Dance Central VR is being partially funded by Oculus as an Oculus Studios title which means it will include fully cross-platform multiplayer and will be 100% cross buy so if you own it on one headset then you'll own it on both. This also means that it's an exclusive to the Oculus Home Store.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes! I love these types of games in VR specifically, some of the most fun I've had with the platform.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, Im so in for this. Love dancing to Just Dance YT videos, but this seems even better.

Hoping people will be able to mod songs into it.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Oculus is doing a launch countdown blog where they highlight the games coming to Quest: https://www.oculus.com/blog/quest-countdown/

First titles highlighted:

• Superhot
  • Space Pirate Trainer (didn't know this was coming)
  • Shadow Point (a room scale puzzler narrated by some guy named Patrick Stewart)
  • Dead and Buried 2
  • Dance Central
Lineup looking pretty strong at launch. The Oculus Quest might make some waves this year.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The GDC demo was two songs long and felt like it'd been set to ultra-easy mode. I'm curious whether the entire game will feel a little simplified to compensate for the whole wearing-a-headset weight factor.

The biggest issue I had was an utter lack of visual feedback on whether my own hand/head motions mapped to the dancer in front of me or not. You just look ahead at the dancer, try to mimic their motions, and see a word indicating whether you're in sync or not; I couldn't make out the kind of limb-specific color feedback that I appreciated in the Kinect originals. Now that the game is in a fully VR world, why not include some ghost trails of our hands to indicate what we're doing right or wrong?

Something about it didn't feel quite right in this early state, and my bandwidth for forgiving Harmonix with in-development games has faded in the past five years.