• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 16, 2018
What happened with that? Also is GB going out or something? I feel like I hear less and less things about them...

They're doing something in January, although they are been trending away from the old format sadly. They've definitely lost momentum, but they were acquired by another studio so that definitely caused some logistical delays that might slow output. Either way, I let my subscription lapse for now as they simply haven't produced anything that has interested me for a while.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I hope after the pandemic Dan is able to continue doing video game stuff on Twitch. His streams are great.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it up today via audio. Really great stream. Love the vibes they had, the lack of being snarky dismissive dickheads to one another, some funny "heated" moments and fun analysis even if I didn't always agree. I miss Dan (and Mike guesting) with GB so badly.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I stopped listening to GBs goty stuff the last few years. Too many people that haven't all played the games so it's just "well Alex says it's amazing and if he feels that strongly I feel okay putting it on". Small groups a la the OG GB crew or this trio work better for whittling down contenders, though a big group with diverse tastes would be great for the "hey I just wanna show off a few games I really loved this year" that GB did a few years back.

I'm sharing this sentiment. I love reading GOTY lists from various people on Giant Bomb but I stop listening to their GOTY casts. I just feel like most of them don't have enough time to play enough games to form arguments on GOTY list. So many great games got brushed aside just because most of them didn't play it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Best Bug Snack (good) was upsetting. Mike never got to hear the voice and his vote should be revoked.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
They have definitely been in a local minima this past year+, and it isn't clear they can figure out how to refresh their bench and then retain them. Austin, Dan, Abby all leaving, most of the newer, more engaging voices (sorry, Ben, you're not my jam!). Would love to hear a candid discussion of how that's happened, what have been their constraints, whether it's their previous parent company unwilling to budget, an internal cultural issue of old vs younger staff, etc., or whatever. Not that they owe that to us, I'm just genuinely curious.

Definitely enjoyed it, thanks OP! Although I couldn't tell if they were suffering latency or just high/drunk from some of the pauses :P.

Abby talked a little about this in one of the interviews she did. Said that because of the small size of the site and there being only so many people, there's really not much room to advance your career. You're pretty much going to keep doing what you're doing, which can be great for awhile because she enjoyed the content and enjoyed her coworkers, but at a certain point you want to grow.

I feel like that's always going to be more of an issue with younger staffers, who are trying one of their first things and want to see what else is out there. Older people who have been around the block in the industry a bunch are more likely to say, this is a good job, I like my coworkers, I like the freedom of it, I know what else is out there and I'm good with this.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm sharing this sentiment. I love reading GOTY lists from various people on Giant Bomb but I stop listening to their GOTY casts. I just feel like most of them don't have enough time to play enough games to form arguments on GOTY list. So many great games got brushed aside just because most of them didn't play it.

Sadly no one in the world has that time. There are hundreds of at least interesting games released every year. No one can play through all of them. You try to touch the biggest ones and as many of the others as you can and then you do what you can. If you're passionate about something, you try to convince your coworkers to try it before voting starts and hope you can persuade them.

The indie game revolution changed things in a lot of great ways, but it also means that there are just too many interesting games releasing for anyone to have a hope of touching. I've been writing for various sites off and on for the better part of 20 years. 15 years ago if I touched 40 new games in a year, I'd hit at least most of the stuff that mattered. Now I've only scratched the surface at that point.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly no one in the world has that time. There are hundreds of at least interesting games released every year. No one can play through all of them. You try to touch the biggest ones and as many of the others as you can and then you do what you can. If you're passionate about something, you try to convince your coworkers to try it before voting starts and hope you can persuade them.

The indie game revolution changed things in a lot of great ways, but it also means that there are just too many interesting games releasing for anyone to have a hope of touching. I've been writing for various sites off and on for the better part of 20 years. 15 years ago if I touched 40 new games in a year, I'd hit at least most of the stuff that mattered. Now I've only scratched the surface at that point.

GB crews don't even play some of the mainstream games let alone all the smaller, well-received gems. I remember 2013, no one but Alex played Super Mario 3D World, and it was kicked out from top 10 just because Alex couldn't form arguments and gave up too early. That was the year that sours me the most. Had more people play that game, a freaking Mario game, it could easily be in top 10.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to about half of this so far, only major thing I disagree with so far is Spelunky 2, it's not really that similar to the first game once you dig in more. Also it's like Doom Eternal or Hotline Miami 2 in that it's more challenging off the bat than the first game, but if you played a bunch of the originals a sequel that started at the same base level difficulty again would just have been kind of a cakewalk.

Eh, it's true in general that there's more good games that anyone person can keep up with, but the GB crew could definitely play more games than they do.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
GB crews don't even play some of the mainstream games let alone all the smaller, well-received gems. I remember 2013, no one but Alex played Super Mario 3D World, and it was kicked out from top 10 just because Alex couldn't form arguments and gave up too early. That was the year that sours me the most. Had more people play that game, a freaking Mario game, it could easily be in top 10.
Let the record show I knowingly traded Mario away as part of a deal to get Papers Please into the top 10.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
C&C Remaster Collection and Bunger completely robbed.

I love the energy of this video.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D World was sooooooo bad

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Abby talked a little about this in one of the interviews she did. Said that because of the small size of the site and there being only so many people, there's really not much room to advance your career.
Ah, interesting, if you have a link I'd love to listen. That said, wasn't splitting into GBE part of trying to address that by increasing content production for the folks on the east coast? I'm sympathetic, though, we're a very senior organization ourselves and are looking at how to deal with some talent that just doesn't have headroom for title promotion, etc.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
No bad vibes here against GB, I enjoy it when it sparks my interests, but I'm loving the old style hole being filled by these three. Mike is someone that hadn't been of any interest to me before this (was aware of him in the GSpot days and passed it off as bro-vibe US nonsense) but this whole thing has been silly and fun and very on point especially in the last two hours particularly. More! More!

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
No bad vibes here against GB, I enjoy it when it sparks my interests, but I'm loving the old style hole being filled by these three. Mike is someone that hadn't been of any interest to me before this (was aware of him in the GSpot days and passed it off as bro-vibe US nonsense) but this whole thing has been silly and fun and very on point especially in the last two hours particularly. More! More!

Mike guesting on the Beastcast definitely turned me on to him. He's also the only person I've ever heard talk about Warframe which is always interesting as one of those massive games that exists within it's own "space" in gaming.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully Dan's nonsense categories mean I can listen to more of it than I do the GB GOTY casts, which inevitably go into my backlog as I slowly catch up on things I don't want spoiled.

Let the record show I knowingly traded Mario away as part of a deal to get Papers Please into the top 10.

There's something 'right' about having to make a tough trade for Papers, Please.

Hopefully 3D World gets some overdue love when the re-release comes out.

Ah, interesting, if you have a link I'd love to listen.

I believe this was in Ben Hanson's interview over at MinnMax. Some kinder soul than me might timestamp you ;)

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at GB's list that year, I'll be controversial and say Super Mario 3D World is better than Divekick.

While I agree with you 100%, I can see the merit in putting something as unique as Divekick on the list. Plus some of the guys and, most importantly to something being on the list, Jeff really liked it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Whew some of this is hard to listen to haha. Dan complaining about Juvenile humor in a game, when he represents Juvenile humor to me is pretty hilarious haha.

Timestamps

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Down to the top games discussion, this has been wonderful. Glad we get some dumb topics back since it seems like Giant Bomb abandoned them the last couple years.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they do highlights in a condensed form? Seven (7!) hours is way too long for me but I'm interested! I laughed my ass of at Dan's Mario rating thing but even that was something I had to skim because it was too long.
I wish there was a timestamped reply like giant bombcasts often do - but they disabled comments.
Someone hit me up if there is any.

There are some timestamps now. Haven't made my way through the whole thing yet, so they are up to the point where I'm at.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They screwed up Darts of the Year and didn't even include the darts in Persona 5 Royal SMDH

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Dan really has some damn dumb arguments at times that games shouldn't be on the list, he then turns around and uses the exact same ones for why the games he likes should be on the list.

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
P7EmJXL.gif

Oct 28, 2017
I need to watch more stuff that Mahardy does, he was really great in this. Sold me on almost every game he made a case for and loving Desperados so far. Crusader Kings seems like fun too but it is a little too menu intensive for my brain right now.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely fist pumped when I got to that moment in the podcast. Papers Please is a seminal game for its UI/controls and message, every PC player (especially seasoned ones that are used to the common genres) should try it.

But at the end of the day, I tune into Giantbomb for entertainment, not some objective scientific ranking (only for fighters)

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for sharing. I watched most of it and enjoyed it more than Giant Bomb`s GOTY 2019, tbh.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
This was really great. I haven't really Mary or Mike before this and I thought their points were great. Mike was bringing some great arguments, even when he was drunk, lol.

Also - Dan is just so funny to me. I think I can finally forgive him for dogging RDR2 in 2018.

'That sounded sexual.'
'Only to you.'

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Made my way through - they never talk about Hades at all. Was waiting for their take on it and it never came.
That was great! It was really fun watching this and since I'm looking forward for Giant Bombs GotY Podcasts early next year, I'm getting twice the fun basically.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Saaaaaame. That format really killed the enjoyment as a watcher. Interested to see how they'll do it this year.

I much prefer the new format.

The actually interesting part of the GOTY stuff is gettng a ton of actual (at least more) indepth game discussion. The drama/horsetrading of the top 10 ranking/placement got in the way of the actual discussion most of the time, and it tended to focus the discussion on just the big releases even more.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I consider Mario 3D World to not only be one of the best 3D Mario games, but one of the best *Mario* games. It'll get its due next year, finally. (I hope.) My rationale at the time was that having Papers Please on the overall list was important symbolism from a site like Giant Bomb.

I can see it being important something like Papers, Please gets more exposure than a literal Mario game (albeit one on the Wii U). You're absolutely right about 3D World's quality though. Its day will come!