• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Since Giant Bomb postponed their GotY thing to January, I've found this to be able to fill that specific hole of "people looking back to 2020 and discussing videogames in sometimes silly categories in the background for hours" while I do other stuff.

Haven't made my way through yet, but categories include:
Dumb Thing of the year (bad)
Dumb Thing of the year (good)
Worst Title of the Year (not game, just the title)

It seems obvious that Dan made up the categories. There are 13 categories.

It's 7 hours so have fun with that. Or not if that's not your thing.
Put me in a silly goty category if old.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I need this. Need to hear what supremely dumb (excellent) categories Dan has come up with. Thanks for the recommendation!

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sure thing - it popped up in my Youtube feed and their September/ish round of discussions was already fun.
As a European they never stream in a convenient time slot for me, so thankfully they did upload the whole damn affair.

Edit: this is the one they did earlier this year.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
oh cool. this should indeed be a good video to replace my Giant Bomb GOTY itch

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
The Giant Bomb thing got postponed?!?!?!??

Also, are these guys uploading this as an audio only podcast style thing?

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I may be more excited to watch this than Giant Bombs GotY this time around. So glad Dan is still out doing game stuff. I miss him being on the bomb crew so much.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan, Mike and Mary forming thier own Twitch posse has been very entertaining. If you enjoy this they stream together quite often. And Dan does other really dumb streams like ranking all 100 odd Mario games.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The top 10 was pretty good. Mary calling Ryckert's bullshit while Mike being the most neutral and eloquent one is a great dynamic. Caught some of the live stream and i was entertained.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Way too much of this discussion is Dan using "well this is my number 1 or 2," in place of saying why

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Watched this the other day and it gets wonderfully fiery towards the end, with Mike getting his second wind and zeroing in on Dan by saying things like, "All I'm hearing is you saying this is a new benchmark in games, but you haven't actually explained what makes it a new benchmark".

And Mary's gleeful smirking throughout is hilarious.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun listen, though kinda annoying in a few spots due to content id'ed silence on the VOD (listened to the last 3 hours like that and was super confused at first since I never watch VOD's). I'm so used to the debating styles of the GB crew that seeing how Mary and Mike approach the format (especially when it's only Dan to argue against vs a wider field) was interesting. There was one super Dan moment that was hilariously cringy (in a good way that's overall meaningless) to watch: when Mike was arguing for Crucible in Most Forgettable and Dan argued that it shouldn't be there cause he'd never heard of it. Dude was on a major gaming site and podcast for years, he'd 100% heard of it and forgotten about it and it should have won the category cause of that level of forgetableness.

Best moment to me was Mary's "Dan you have so much to lose, you have a dog you have a wife" threat.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun listen, though kinda annoying in a few spots due to content id'ed silence on the VOD (listened to the last 3 hours like that and was super confused at first since I never watch VOD's). I'm so used to the debating styles of the GB crew that seeing how Mary and Mike approach the format (especially when it's only Dan to argue against vs a wider field) was interesting. There was one super Dan moment that was hilariously cringy (in a good way that's overall meaningless) to watch: when Mike was arguing for Crucible in Most Forgettable and Dan argued that it shouldn't be there cause he'd never heard of it. Dude was on a major gaming site and podcast for years, he'd 100% heard of it and forgotten about it and it should have won the category cause of that level of forgetableness.

Best moment to me was Mary's "Dan you have so much to lose, you have a dog you have a wife" threat.
I disagree about the forgettable thing. He might have known that amazon was making a game but it doesn't mean he knew it released. The point of the Most forgettable is something you played and we're hyped about but then forgot. Not just random games that you hear in passing then forget about. If that was the case than imo something like fast and the furious really should've won but wasn't even brought up lol.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they do highlights in a condensed form? Seven (7!) hours is way too long for me but I'm interested! I laughed my ass of at Dan's Mario rating thing but even that was something I had to skim because it was too long.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a timestamped reply like giant bombcasts often do - but they disabled comments.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Might just be me but I always feel like GOTY things are compromised as soon as you get into territory where not everybody has played the games in contention.

In this case, when someone has to argue a case for a game against somebody who wilfully, and perhaps indignantly, would not play it in the first place and wants everyone to know they absolutely never will.

Oct 25, 2017
Might just be me but I always feel like GOTY things are compromised as soon as you get into territory where not everybody has played the games in contention.
This is why I stopped listening to GBs goty stuff the last few years. Too many people that haven't all played the games so it's just "well Alex says it's amazing and if he feels that strongly I feel okay putting it on". Small groups a la the OG GB crew or this trio work better for whittling down contenders, though a big group with diverse tastes would be great for the "hey I just wanna show off a few games I really loved this year" that GB did a few years back.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree about the forgettable thing. He might have known that amazon was making a game but it doesn't mean he knew it released. The point of the Most forgettable is something you played and we're hyped about but then forgot. Not just random games that you hear in passing then forget about. If that was the case than imo something like fast and the furious really should've won but wasn't even brought up lol.
Agreed. and I'm glad they didn't fall for his argument. People in the chat obviously googled that shit and were like "this is technically the right choice" when it shouldn't have been on the list anyway.

Also, Mary was on point with the Came out of Nowhere award.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Mike has kind of ruined his ongoing video series with Mary by spending almost the entire time making unfunny scat jokes. I hope he's not doing that lame bit here, too.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they do highlights in a condensed form? Seven (7!) hours is way too long for me but I'm interested! I laughed my ass of at Dan's Mario rating thing but even that was something I had to skim because it was too long.

Unlikely. It is just an archive of a twitch stream - with the stream being the main focus. A fan might edit it down but I doubt Dan will.

Oct 27, 2017
10 minutes in and Dan is explaining how burps over the internet make everyone's day better and Mary and Mike are trying to explain kombucha to Dan.

Just like the good old days. Lmao.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What was the reason for the GB GOTY postponement? With the sale, WFH, and COVID as a whole, there is a bunch of reasons, but they did ever state a reason... or is it just everything at once?

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Ohh hell yeah! Pretty much my three favorite people from the games media. Hopefully this becomes more recurring thing.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
What happened with that? Also is GB going out or something? I feel like I hear less and less things about them...
They have definitely been in a local minima this past year+, and it isn't clear they can figure out how to refresh their bench and then retain them. Austin, Dan, Abby all leaving, most of the newer, more engaging voices (sorry, Ben, you're not my jam!). Would love to hear a candid discussion of how that's happened, what have been their constraints, whether it's their previous parent company unwilling to budget, an internal cultural issue of old vs younger staff, etc., or whatever. Not that they owe that to us, I'm just genuinely curious.
Definitely enjoyed it, thanks OP! Although I couldn't tell if they were suffering latency or just high/drunk from some of the pauses :P.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I just started this but damn do I wish there was an audio version of this I could just download

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this on in the background for most of the day. It's been a fun discussion so far, especially as they all get drunker as it goes along.