• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poweld

Nov 1, 2017
Grubb's response to that tweet seems reasonable given the content of that video; Depp is clearly out of control. I haven't followed the trial closely, but good lord there's some lines being drawn in the sand here that I simply don't understand. Not everything is black and white.

Context: I grew up in a house where my mother and siblings were physically and emotionally beaten by a tyrant of a stepfather. That kinda behavior, punching and kicking shit while drinking aggressively was a good sign that the cops were going to pay a visit tonight.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dan posts "I'm back home". Then why did you leave in the first place?
The dude wanted to be involved in everything that made his childhood great. He had done games for however many years and then the opportunity to join THE wrestling organization comes by, another huge part of his childhood? Of course, he would take it.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
For that specific comment, I imagine they weren't pitching podcast ideas to Vince would have to be another old man or two between Dan's team and Vince.

I doubt he would pitch things to Vince directly, be he definitely comes across as a guy who needs to give his final approval for just about anything.

And the first wrestler he plays as is Benoit. Im lowkey kinda worried hes gonna drink too much and say something he shouldn't.

Woof. Is his reversal of opinion on the WWE going to end up being as radical as it was with Death Stranding?

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I imagine what Grubb was getting at is that this trial is clearly being co-opted by some bad faith actors to muddy the waters around sexual abuse allegations, because now they get to point to this whole situation and drive the ultimate point that we shouldn't believe people who bring forth allegations because of how this whole affair went down. That isn't to say that it's bad Heard is being held accountable for her actions, but the sheer glee and acidity that people have adopted when talking about this trial is fucking distasteful and is absolutely a sign of things to come in future accusations. Both of these things can be true: this trial was a win for an abuse victim, and it will also be a hyper-effective cudgel to attack other abuse victims later on. It doesn't take a genius to see that.

Whether or not Grubb should followup his original tweet, I don't know. It could do with some clarification and nuance, but the only people who this even registered with are likely on this forum and maybe a few people on Twitter, and I doubt he want's to rehash this if basically everyone has moved on.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt he would pitch things to Vince directly, be he definitely comes across as a guy who needs to give his final approval for just about anything.

Woof. Is his reversal of opinion on the WWE going to end up being as radical as it was with Death Stranding?

I think he still appreciates the product and a lot of the people there, but just would never work there again in a million fucking years.

DoughCore

Nov 23, 2020
I haven't listened to the bombcast, but have they said if they will be doing things in person from now on? I know the pandemic is still on, but I'm not watching any more videos of people Skype call a video game. I can't even enjoy nextlander stuff because that's all they seem to do.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't listened to the bombcast, but have they said if they will be doing things in person from now on? I know the pandemic is still on, but I'm not watching any more videos of people Skype call a video game. I can't even enjoy nextlander stuff because that's all they seem to do.

I mean... Both Nextlander and GB don't live anywhere near eachother. Vinny and Alex are on east cost, Brad is west. GB is all over the fucking place.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022

They intend to have a studio space that the Cali people (Tam, Lucy, Rorie, Jan) will use. They don't want to do everything over Zoom, and know how important being in-person is. They also want to have times that people get together during the year, like Grubb and others flying out.

Feb 16, 2022
I don't know where in the timeline of the trial Grubb made his comments, but obviously now that all of the facts have come out I think his comments have proven to be incorrect. But in these sorts of accusations you almost never get this deep a dive into the actual events with recordings, and videos, and under oath statements. If he's making comments without knowledge of the details of the trial I think that's super unfortunate but I'm not sure it deserves the degree of the backlash.
Frankly, Grubb's response to people who called him out on his takes is what caused me to run out of patience in hoping he'd do better. We have people from this community actually reached out to him on Twitter regarding that tweet and implored him to actually inform himself about the case and why it's a sensitive matter to many, and all he did was block every single one of them.

He didn't just post a bad, uninformed take. He doubled down and stuck his head in the sand about it.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Well, that prepared statement on the Bombcast and site only confirms how corporate things have become, and wasn't a great look.

But I mean, Dan's back. If he does have creative control and the higher ups leave him alone, hopeful it's a good sign they can reach Silver Age GB.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
WWE opportunity was a dream of his I believe. He had to try it.

I honestly thought Dan would have been with GB for as long it was a thing but when he left to go work with WWE it was the least surprising thing ever. I'm not his biggest fan, when he starts playing a character I fall off hard but that guy brings a passion to his job that few do. Its not always my thing but him being there again is huge.

Lucy and Tam were basically already part of the staff with how things have been done lately and they're both fantastic.

Definitely gonna miss Jeff, though. Looking forward to see what he does on his own.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Still ways out but they are planning on doing more in person stuff. They seem very adamant to get out of the house.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
It'll definitely feel different without Gerstmann but I'm down to stick around for a while and see how this goes. Still like a lot of these people and wish them the best going forward. Dan being back is super crazy and I'm into it.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I honestly thought Dan would have been with GB for as long it was a thing but when he left to go work with WWE it was the least surprising thing ever. I'm not his biggest fan, when he starts playing a character I fall off hard but that guy brings a passion to his job that few do. Its not always my thing but him being there again is huge.

Lucy and Tam were basically already part of the staff with how things have been done lately and they're both fantastic.

Definitely gonna miss Jeff, though. Looking forward to see what he does on his own.

Yeah thats what I like about it; all the "new" people feel like they were part of the staff already, they aren't just completely new hires. So the integration should be pretty flawless, and the chemistry is already there.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
my time for podcasts is limited and nextlander/gertsmann will fill up the spot. the whole vibe of this just doesn't feel right and then there's grubb.

giantbomb has been in my life every tuesday since 2009 but its time to say goodbye.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
my time for podcasts is limited and nextlander/gertsmann will fill up the spot. the whole vibe of this just doesn't feel right and then there's grubb.

giantbomb has been in my life every tuesday since 2009 but its time to say goodbye.

Ultimately you should listen to what you want, but Jason and Rorie are still there, as is Jan. And Bakalar is hardly new to Giantbomb. I feel people are doing them all dirty by bailing because of Gerstmann. If I stopped listening to giantbomb, I would never get my Jan fill, and that ain't happening.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Ultimately you should listen to what you want, but Jason and Rorie are still there, as is Jan. And Bakalar is hardly new to Giantbomb. I feel people are doing them all dirty by bailing because of Gerstmann. If I stopped listening to giantbomb, I would never get my Jan fill, and that ain't happening.
I like some of those people, but Jeff's unique knowledge of video games is a huge reason why I listened and no one else left there comes even close to that.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Dan is basically in charged of the game segment stuff. I don't think he is as knowledgeable as Jeff (who knows everything about video games from 70's and now) but he knows a ton of obscure gaming stuff in his own right! So I think that gap can adequately be filled.

I dug how he wants bring back a lot of the old segments back and wants to prioritize it being gaming related

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Grubb's response to that tweet seems reasonable given the content of that video; Depp is clearly out of control. I haven't followed the trial closely, but good lord there's some lines being drawn in the sand here that I simply don't understand. Not everything is black and white.

Context: I grew up in a house where my mother and siblings were physically and emotionally beaten by a tyrant of a stepfather. That kinda behavior, punching and kicking shit while drinking aggressively was a good sign that the cops were going to pay a visit tonight.
I am sorry to hear of your personal experience. No one should have to go through that.

The context of what you experienced growing up and the context of that video are entirely different. Where in your experience it was the abuser who would smash things, in this video it is the victim of abuse who is smashing things. The thought process behind the actions and what it means is entirely different. As you said, not everything is black and white. Context matters.

The trial thread had many accounts of victims of domestic abuse sharing their stories. Responses like Grubb's entirely dismiss the experiences of male victims of domestic violence. This is why the line in the sand has been drawn

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
This would be great if Jeff Grubb wasn't part of it. That statement of his regarding that trial told me all I needed to know about him.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These dumb both sides/he's no angel takes will never end because people proudly wear their ignorance as a badge. "Progressive" twitter and the morons still backing Heard have proven that.

Anyways, fuck Grubb.

Indeed. Same people saying "I havent watched the trial but already made my own conclusions".
It's almost a parody at this point.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Tamoor and Lucy wherever they go are a dream duo to me. It's nice to see them on such a brilliant team, those two I love.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm just going to point out that Jeff Grubb is a member here so regardless of your feelings for him, hurling abuse and saying "Fuck Jeff Grubb" is against forum rules.

The Importance of Being Respectful

Please be respectful when posting in threads. This includes when you post about the topic at hand and especially when you address other members. Do not make unfounded and inflammatory accusations to discredit and/or antagonize your fellow members (such calling them a shill, astroturfer, etc). Do not shame users based on their post count, avatar choice, or what community they belong to. Avoid hurling insults or making disagreements personal. If someone else is causing trouble, report them rather than trying to reciprocate.

On topic, I'm very interested to see the new direction Giant Bomb goes in.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I'm just going to point out that Jeff Grubb is a member here so regardless of your feelings for him, hurling abuse and saying "Fuck Jeff Grubb" is against forum rules.

On topic, I'm very interested to see the new direction Giant Bomb goes in.

Respect goes both ways. Maybe he should apologize for calling victims who supported Depp as sexists who hate women and then doubled down when members of Era asked him to reconsider and just outright blocked them. Kinda hard to be respectful when there is a public known member in the community that just thinks you are below scum.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Being a member here shouldn't shield him from receiving criticism about what he said in a very public space.

Also, I like how you framed the people that disagreed with him and criticizing him as "hurling abuse" towards him. What a really cheap way of using that word, particularly in relation to why people criticized him in the first place.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Respect goes both ways. Maybe he should apologize for calling victims who supported Depp as sexists who hate women and then doubled down when members of Era asked him to reconsider and just outright blocked them. Kinda hard to be respectful when there is a public known member in the community that just thinks you are below scum.
I have no interest in discussing offside drama. He posted it on Twitter not on Era.

Offsite Drama

We have no interest in hosting discussions that fuel drama between our community and others. This sort of metacommentary tends to be petty and unproductive. Please do not derail threads with drama about other forums and websites, do not encourage comparisons or competition with other forums, and do not create threads about them either.

Members are highly discouraged from pursuing other members off the site, and staff will generally not adjudicate disputes that happen offsite. Do not post offsite material that you suspect to be from other members, whether from social media or elsewhere, in order to attack or embarrass them. If you believe such material is of serious concern, bring it to the attention of the staff through the appropriate channels described below.

Being a member here shouldn't shield him from receiving criticism about what he said in a very public space.

Also, I like how you framed the people that disagreed with him and criticizing him as "hurling abuse" towards him. What a really cheap way of using that word, particularly in relation to why people criticized him in the first place.

As I said above, that's offside drama. There was no intent of framing by me using "hurling abuse". I apologise if you took it that way, wasn't meant to be anything more than just descriptive.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Jeff Grubb. Yeah his tweet sucks but if IIRC it was posted some time before the conclusion of the trial. I assume he, like a lot of other people who didn't follow the trial closely, was operating from the position that Johnny Depp abused Amber Heard that had been the prevailing belief for the last few years.

While I have come to believe Johnny Depp to likely be the actual victim in all of this, the Depp support was 100% co-opted by misogynists and incel types. It's not hard to imagine how someone who hadn't been following the trial closely and was still operating on the previously established belief that Amber Heard was a victim at the hands of Johnny Depp would see a lot of toxicity around the trial as misongynists trying to tear a supposed victim down. Especially when both the media and people in your circles that you respect also maintain that position.

I've also seen it mentioned that people tried to reach out to Grubb to inform him about the details of the trial and the evidence that casts a different light on Amber Hears, only to end up blocked. And you know what? I'm not surprised. I'd imagine it's less of him doubling down and probably more being swamped by people in his messages coming at him about a celebrity scandal he probably cares little about. We all know how dogpile / harassment happy the internet and gaming community can be.

This whole trial and situation has been very public and very toxic, and a complete clusterfuck all around. I think it's understandable to be disappointed and even frustrated with people we respect having bad and ignorant takes around this situation. I know I was pretty disappointed to see Austin Walker's retweets being pro-Amber Heard. But at the same time, I'm not gonna write people off because of just this. Everyone is guilty to some degree about having opinions about a subject they're ill-informed about. A lot of people were fooled by Amber Heards apparent lies over the last few years and it can be hard to undo all of that.

I say this all as a male victim of abuse. I was happy when I heard the verdict and thought this might open up positive discussions about male abuse victims, and it sucks that it hasn't really been the case.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017

Jan, Rorie, Tam and Lucy said they are going to do in person stuff. Maybe Grubb? I am not sure if he moved or what. The others sounded like they want to do in person stuff to at some point.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
He can clear it up with a single tweet. Hasn't done so.
May I ask why he owes you any sort of follow up? That's what I don't understand.

Why does anyone who doesn't "like Pirates of the Caribbean more than women" insert themselves into the group to which Grubb was referring and take offense to the comment?

I'm genuinely asking why people who don't ascribe to the view he was criticizing are offended by what he said.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Understood and agree, however, even in the US trial there was still plenty of credible evidence that Depp was hardly a saint and while not to the extent Heard claimed was certainly an abusive partner in some ways. Acknowledging that does not mean saying that he was not abused or supporting Heard. Depp was abused. It was mutually abusive and toxic in many ways.

This is a disgusting thing to say to an abuse victim.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May I ask why he owes you any sort of follow up? That's what I don't understand.

Why does anyone who doesn't "like Pirates of the Caribbean more than women" insert themselves into the group to which Grubb was referring and take offense to the comment?

I'm genuinely asking why people who don't ascribe to the view he was criticizing are offended by what he said.
he doesn't owe anyone a response but he's not owed the benefit of the doubt after doing it either. I know I am not sure how much I'm going to support giant bomb because of his involvement related directly to his handling of the tweets.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

In context as a reply to the prior tweet with the footage it's pretty explicit about both the premise that (1) it should be taken as fact that Depp is violent and abusive and "anyone" can see that and (2) if you don't acknowledge that you value Pirates of the Caribbean more than women (and implicitly are a misogynist).

Given the context of the trial, even with what was known at the time (1) was not exactly clear cut and a plausible explanation would be that Depp was a victim of domestic abuse and lashing out while not being the primary abuser. Grubb leaves no wiggle room and doesn't really entertain this as a possibility, instead telling the reader that if they have a contrarian opinion they have to fit into his straw man. To not "recognize" in essence sets the reader automatically in opposition because of the totality of the worldview Grubb assumes.

I don't expect any follow up from him, nor do *I* particularly need one. I'm not losing any sleep over it, and people with shitty and ill-informed opinions are a dime a dozen. But when you post a glib dismissive reductive take to a sensitive situation like the trial, it's just a shitty thing to do at best and perpetuates a lot of the problematic rhetoric around the trial at worst, and I can't blame people for wanting some kind of closure and explanation from a public figure, and why the lack thereof can be frustrating, especially for people who hitherto enjoyed their content.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
In context as a reply to the prior tweet with the footage it's pretty explicit about both the premise that (1) it should be taken as fact that Depp is violent and abusive and "anyone" can see that and (2) if you don't acknowledge that you value Pirates of the Caribbean more than women (and implicitly are a misogynist).

Given the context of the trial, even with what was known at the time (1) was not exactly clear cut and a plausible explanation would be that Depp was a victim of domestic abuse and lashing out while not being the primary abuser. Grubb leaves no wiggle room and doesn't really entertain this as a possibility, instead telling the reader that if they have a contrarian opinion they have to fit into his straw man. To not "recognize" in essence sets the reader automatically in opposition because of the totality of the worldview Grubb assumes.

I don't expect any follow up from him, nor do *I* particularly need one. I'm not losing any sleep over it, and people with shitty and ill-informed opinions are a dime a dozen. But when you post a glib dismissive reductive take to a sensitive situation like the trial, it's just a shitty thing to do at best and perpetuates a lot of the problematic rhetoric around the trial at worst, and I can't blame people for wanting some kind of closure and explanation from a public figure, and why the lack thereof can be frustrating, especially for people who hitherto enjoyed their content.
That's very fair.

Sep 14, 2018
I have no interest in discussing offside drama. He posted it on Twitter not on Era.

As I said above, that's offside drama. There was no intent of framing by me using "hurling abuse". I apologise if you took it that way, wasn't meant to be anything more than just descriptive.
He's a public figure, posting publicly in public platforms. There is no reason we can't discuss his moronic takes on something he clearly knows fuck all about. And offsite drama is a pretty weak excuse to try to silence criticism of him.

What if he had tweeted "covid is a hoax/vaccines have nanomachines/whatever", "oh well he's a member here, can't talk about it cause it's drama". How bout no.
Beyond what he actually tweeted, it bothers me cause it's yet another shining example of posting inflammatory hot takes on social media in order to get attention/engagement.

Literally -----THE PROBLEM---- with social media.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Are you really not familiar with the concept of generalizations at all?

How he characterize people who are in favor of Depp did so more because of his stardom instead of him being a victim of abuse? How is it fair? Especially since in here in ERA and many other places people came out that they supported Depp because they saw themselves in him?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

His tweet isn't targeted at people that like PotC more than women. It's targeted at people that don't see Heard as the victim — accusing them of liking PotC more than women as a way of dismissing them as sexists and misogynists.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I say this all as a male victim of abuse. I was happy when I heard the verdict and thought this might open up positive discussions about male abuse victims, and it sucks that it hasn't really been the case.

It is precisely due to the attitude shown by Grubb and many other "progressive" people that the verdict hasn't, as you say, brought about a positive discussion about male abuse victims; how this case should be celebrated as a male victim abuse getting the justice he deserved instead of "fuck facts, I'm smart, I'm always right, a guy can't be abused" conclusions these people are so busy informing themselves.

Even in front of the incredible amount of evidence shown up during the court proceedings.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: really not worth it. Sorry, I'll keep this on topic.

I am excited for this new chapter of Giant Bomb. They got an awesome crew going.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Beyond what he actually tweeted, it bothers me cause it's yet another shining example of posting inflammatory hot takes on social media in order to get attention/engagement.

Literally -----THE PROBLEM---- with social media.
Fucking right about that. I often say that people can just... exercise their right to not post anything, It'd save so many people from themselves.

Are you really not familiar with the concept of generalizations at all?

How he characterize people who are in favor of Depp did so more because of his stardom instead of him being a victim of abuse? How is it fair? Especially since in here in ERA and many other places people came out that they supported Depp because they saw themselves in him?
I am a person who left my fiancé because my psychologist helping mee resolve my anxiety caused me to realize that the years of physical and emotional abuse I had accepted were just ridiculous and had to end. Within the context of life experience I am completely empathetic to the male victim of abuse.

I guess my disconnect is that I never read people statements as absolutes, as if they were referring to every single person under the sun. I see it and say "well he wasn't talking about me, moving on", because he only seemed to be referring to bad actors, I dunno. When a person drops a qualifier on a statement which doesn't apply to my position it just doesn't even register with me if I don't hold it.

Maybe that's my own failing or something I lack cognitively.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The Bombcast was great, I'll definitely keep listening.

Last thing I'll say in this thread then I'm bowing out.
If people who didn't like someone just didn't post about someone they didn't like and just focused on the positive news (Like Dan being back) this place would be a lot less toxic.

Instead, we have people making it their mission to make sure everyone knows they don't like someone or their views then a whole bunch of people echoing the same sentiment like they are signing a petition. It really just fosters a toxic environment where everyone gets angry about the thing/person they like then tell you your a piece of shit for defending it/them if it's not the same.

Threads like this always seem to be a recruitment drive to get people on the hate bandwagon. It's sad to see.

He's a public figure, posting publicly in public platforms. There is no reason we can't discuss his moronic takes on something he clearly knows fuck all about. And offsite drama is a pretty weak excuse to try to silence criticism of him.

What if he had tweeted "covid is a hoax/vaccines have nanomachines/whatever", "oh well he's a member here, can't talk about it cause it's drama". How bout no.

Yes that's exactly what it means. I didn't write the rules. Message an admin if you have a problem with them.
They are trying to keep a nice community here and just because you don't like someone doesn't give you the right to decide what rules to follow or not.
Your whataboutism isn't helping your argument.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
This is a disgusting thing to say to an abuse victim.
Where? I acknowledged he was abused and it was horrible. I also pointed out, as many other experts have done through this process, the fact that he was abusive as well in his own way - it doesnt downplay or diminish anything that happened to him or excuse what Amber did to point that out. This is why domestic abuse court trials aren't television events in normal countries...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yes that's exactly what it means. I didn't write the rules. Message an admin if you have a problem with them.
They are trying to keep a nice community here and just because you don't like someone doesn't give you the right to decide what rules to follow or not.
Your whataboutism isn't helping your argument.

The same can be said to you?

They have decided that people airing out why they didn't want Grubb to be there is a valid response in this thread? Why are you acting that people who do that are breaking this forum's rules, when the mods themselves don't seem to think so, but you do? Are you a mod? Why are you speaking on their behalf?

In fact, why are you acting like people who are disappointed about Grubb in this thread are abusing him? Where? Which ones? Can you quote them? Can you point out in what way they're abusing him? I am sure the moderation team would be most grateful if you could point out exactly who and in what why people are abusing Grubb, so that they could action them appropriately, as per your desire to help "keeping Era as a nice community".