• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Forget what stream it was, but Jeff definitely joked about "knowing someone at a wrestling company" and the Beastcast has mentioned Dan the last two weeks.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The takeaway here is that nobody likes Giant Bomb or anyone in either cast and it's continued success is a complete mystery to all.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bakalar is great, comes off like a wiseguy and he loves pinball.
1h89a4.gif

Sorry, I know that's not what you meant but just couldn't help it lol.

Hwy_61

Oct 27, 2017
This makes all the sense in the world for Dan. I'm sure he'll pop up from time to time on GB. I wish him the best, and I'm sure he's going to produce some good shit.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Best news I've heard since Patrick Klepek left. Dan is an idiot. Like, I'm not saying that to insult him. He really lacks knowledge of basic things.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just sarcasm pointing to the fact that people keep coming out of the woodwork to complain about various staff members in remarkably insistent and personal terms. I have no idea why these people keep consuming GB content.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I was digging through various random videos around Super Metroid and by coincidence ran into this goof ball learning about speed running it back in 2014 and figured this was the most appropriate place to drop it.

May 5, 2018
The takeaway here is that nobody likes Giant Bomb or anyone in either cast and it's continued success is a complete mystery to all.
Hey lots of people still like GB. I tend to post about GB here a lot in the GB OT.

Also I don't know if you were on the team when this game, but Vinny loves Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Thought of saying that since I noticed you work at Sumo Digital.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best news I've heard since Patrick Klepek left. Dan is an idiot. Like, I'm not saying that to insult him. He really lacks knowledge of basic things.

I mean, you could call him the dumbest kid in gifted class if you want. He is an idiot, but only in very specific ways. Kind of a smart idiot. One of my best friends is quite similar.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Usually insulting someone's intelligence is taken as an insult. Dan might be ignorant about things that you or I find incredulous. That doesn't mean he's an idiot. He is honest and forthcoming about what he likes and what he doesn't like and he never pretends to be anything he's not. His sincerity and enthusiasm is always infectious to me and I'll definitely miss him even though I am not caught up on GB content.

Oct 25, 2017
The silver platter comments re is degree and work in general is pretty laughable.

University in many cases is what you put into it, if I recall he received credit for his work outside of class making videos for public access. That's not going to work in every instance but for a film major it makes sense.

He's clearly pretty driven otherwise he wouldn't have gotten this job or been the source of so much content at Giant Bomb.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Shit. If I was Dan I'd take the WWE job in a second. Wrestling fans are a thousand times easier to deal with than video game fans.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just sarcasm pointing to the fact that people keep coming out of the woodwork to complain about various staff members in remarkably insistent and personal terms. I have no idea why these people keep consuming GB content.

Thank you!

I don't want to live in a world where I have to /s everything but... yeah, maybe I should rethink that approach.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No he's not. You'd have to be an idiot to not see through his character. I'm sure if his success has annoyed you this far you should just stop paying attention to him, it's unlikely to stop soon (because of how smart he is).

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Imagine being annoyed that someone doesn't know something. I wish I could care about such useless things.
Nah, I totally get people being pissed off at Dan's style of not knowing things... I'm not about to take it to that level of "Good riddance" or anything of that nature. But he absolutely had a way of being completely ignorant of things and then hyping up his own ignorance of it or taking pride in it. It's lessened over the years, but sometimes he'll say something that calls back to it and those old annoyances creep right back up...

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Like I really don't get how people miss the fact that Dan Ryckert is playing a character. In the old days Vinny had a lot of impish energy to him as well. If you don't like the character, that's perfectly fine, but he certainly isn't stupid.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Like I really don't get how people miss the fact that Dan Ryckert is playing a character. In the old days Vinny had a lot of impish energy to him as well. If you don't like the character, that's perfectly fine, but he certainly isn't stupid.
I think when you say he's playing a character people interpret that as him actually being distinctly different than he appears, which isn't really true. Dan The Character is just a heightened version of real Dan

Also I like Dan a lot but calling him Kaufmanesque is a stretch

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between not knowing things and being proud of not knowing things. I think a lot of people get frustrated with Dan doing the latter. Like gloating about coasting through college and most his career when there is a ton of people struggling out there because they aren't a white guy with connections.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
There's a difference between not knowing things and being proud of not knowing things. I think a lot of people get frustrated with Dan doing the latter. Like gloating about coasting through college and most his career when there is a ton of people struggling out there because they aren't a white guy with connections.

I remember Abby on more than one occasion calling him out on this, and trying to educate him on why saying certain things - like coasting through college - could anger or upset others, including herself, who didn't get it so easy.

I guess Abby, his co-worker who spent more time with him daily than anyone in this thread, just needed to learn that Dan was a comedy genius.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
OK, figure this would be a place to make it, here is my what batshit Dan thing will happen to Dan in the next few years prediction:

He will be hanging around wrestling dudes and start to go all Kumail, will eventually make some bit appearances in wrestling shows, ends up with a small part in a remake of the movie, Demolition Man.

Oct 28, 2017

Realistically, it's the opposite problem - people are far too invested in the GB staff. It's a personality-focused website and its audience treats the staff like their online friends. Hence, we have all the bizarre dissections of intra-staff interactions and their personalities. Add in a bit of social maladjustment, like you would usually find in a crowd of nerds, and here we are.