• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Actually in my original post, I said I thought most of the staff was disengaged and that the new hires had a lot of the same problems. The conversation afterward only focused on Abby because people get really touchy about her. I agree there is a general malaise at GB.

For what's it's worth this happens in the tech industry too. A lot of tech people complain about the headaches of the job. It's totally fine and justified, especially in a day when so much is live streamed.

Traveling for a week cross coast and spending 8 straight hours bickering over games isn't going to make people walking away all happy and glee. I'm sure it all drains them and takes a lot out of them. Hence the week off

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna be all crazy and say GB is doomed, but this is a tremendous loss for the site.

As long as Jeff Gerstmann exists as part of GB, I will be there till the end.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not relitigating anything. I just mentioned Abby's disengagement / interest in other things in a post where I kind of went through how I felt most of the hires in the last decade had similar problems, but people get really defensive about Abby for some reason. I think she was a fine hire and GBE could of used more diversity and some younger crew members. I just don't think it's really where she wants to be or what she is really enthusiastic about.

Which was my only point: I wish GB had some more people who were more energetic and engaged and it sucks that Dan is leaving because he was one of the few who still had that at the site.

At any rate, I'm just glad I found replacement content from other groups like Easy Allies because GB was starting to really bum me out as my main source of game content.
There's some bittersweet irony in how some of the most toxic posters in GB threads like to bring up how positive of a site Easy Allies is. Maybe learn from them or something? It's like a meme by now.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
abby is good. i wish people would stop turning every giant bomb thread into an excuse to complain about her.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bummer. When he left to join the Beastcast crew, his energy on the Bombcast show was definitely missed. His personality fit so well with everyone else on Beastcast.

Dan kept things short and simple with letting you know games he didn't like, but when it came to titles he enjoyed, he was very passionate with the details. I'll never understand his taste in food (his description of Cicis Pizza made me never want to go there lol), but I understood his taste in games. Dan not associating Metal Gear with politics was maybe one of the hardest laughs I ever had while listening to the podcasts. He'll be missed, I'm sure. Between getting married at a Taco Bell and nailing a job for the WWE, it's like some weird complete circle of carny non-sense has been fulfilled. Congrats to him.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The-Quiet-Man-3.jpg

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Abby's brand of comedy grates on me to no end. Her comedy isnt natural, she tries to force it on you with obvious sayings or just by chirping in and repeating what she hears. Ha Ha Alex doesnt like poop, lets talk about the poop I had or how i like to fart....Yeah no, its weak and doesnt add anything. She could leave tomorrow and nothing about the site would change

well, for one thing, it would be significantly worse

people complaining about Abby for things other members of the crew do just as much or even more will never cease to be a theme of these threads, huh

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Wow.. Post-GOTY has become this weird time when someone announces they're leaving.

Really going to miss Dan. For me, both GBWest and GBEast were at their best with Dan. He has an incredible talent for coming up with goofy+fun ideas and his personality meshes well with everyone's.
It makes enough sense. It's a clean break after their last big event of the year and long enough away from E3 to let the crew build plans around one less person.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not relitigating anything. I just mentioned Abby's disengagement / interest in other things in a post where I kind of went through how I felt most of the hires in the last decade had similar problems, but people get really defensive about Abby for some reason. I think she was a fine hire and GBE could of used more diversity and some younger crew members. I just don't think it's really where she wants to be or what she is really enthusiastic about.

Which was my only point: I wish GB had some more people who were more energetic and engaged and it sucks that Dan is leaving because he was one of the few who still had that at the site.

At any rate, I'm just glad I found replacement content from other groups like Easy Allies because GB was starting to really bum me out as my main source of game content.
How come I don't see you saying the same thing about Jan? They're both literally running the technical side of their respective podcasts. They can't, and shouldn't be over engaged in the podcasts and videos because they have a secondary job than just being a personality.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Dan's always been an...acquired taste but I'll be sad to see him go. Glad he's going on to do what sounds close to his dream job.

GBeast has enough clear personalities I don't think this will totally break the dynamic. The possibility of new hires (or finally making it official with Jeff B or Mike M) is exciting too.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming community proves time and time again that they are trash. Thread about Dan and his new position and people are like "Ah yes, time to come in and make sure everyone knows I don't enjoy the Woman"

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks Dan is leaving to work for a company that's run by such god awful people, but it's his choice and I'm sure his dream hire.

Best of luck to him ~

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.. Post-GOTY has become this weird time when someone announces they're leaving.

Really going to miss Dan. For me, both GBWest and GBEast were at their best with Dan. He has an incredible talent for coming up with goofy+fun ideas and his personality meshes well with everyone's.

This is the part that hurts the most. Giant Bomb back in the earlier days was filled with wacky shit. People came up with interesting video features that were hilarious and off the walls. That enthusiasm drained over the years and we saw less and less of it, until Dan showed up. He brought a lot of the fun ideas back into the fold and got the crew to tag along with it, fully reinvigorating the site.

I really hope who ever comes next can help fill that void and bring that enthusiasm that Dan did.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Man, this sucks. Dan Ryckert is so delightfully weird in such an enthusiastic way. I'm gonna miss him and his ridiculous content big time. I'll never forget him trying to explain the rules for Burgle My Bananas. What a showman. I hope that he'll be happy at his new gig, and that he'll come back for a Mario Party Party every once in a while, and that he'll bring Drew with him.

Also, didn't want to bring this up, but goddamn, people just can't not shit on Abby. Abby is fucking great. Abby and Vinny and their Six Crazy Frights leading up to Halloween is what got me to truly start following Giant Bomb. I can't get enough of watching those two, especially not when they're doing stuff together. They seem to truly enjoy each other's company, and there's always such a great atmosphere.

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned earlier that I'm listening to old podcasts from 2016 that I've never heard before.
Just got to the end of E3 2016 day 03 and Austin announces he's leaving.

It's an interesting segment to watch because it raises some of the same questions we're seeing now.
It's also reassuring to hear directly from Jeff about how much he loves watching E3 with Giant Bomb and he wouldn't be anywhere else.

I'm sure we'll hear something similar on this week's Bombcast about the future of the site without Dan.

I'm a bit sad he's going to WWE because I don't watch that anymore. I'm also worried that this new podcast initiative will be a 6 month thing and then abandoned by WWE. If that did happen, I'm sure Dan would somehow find his way into being an on screen talent and ending up performing at Wrestlemania. Then they could show an emotional "journey to Wrestlemania" video where they show him holding the Waluigi Amiibo sign.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I'm happy for him but I think I may watch more East Coast stuff now. I couldn't take his "ignorance is bliss" approach to life and resulting stories, questions ("wait, so pirates are bad guys?") etc.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You never know, he may be back if he gets shitcanned from the WWE.

Which is apparently very common.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
There's some bittersweet irony in how some of the most toxic posters in GB threads like to bring up how positive of a site Easy Allies is. Maybe learn from that or something? It's like a meme by now.

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply about me or Easy Allies with the "toxic" label. That often is used as a kind of political dog whistle of some sort. Is that supposed to imply I'm a straight white dude? Because I'm not. Is it suppose to imply I'm part of some sort of alt right group or gamergate or something? Or that I hate the idea of diversity? Because I'm not that either.

I just like what Giant Bomb used to be:

-Remember when they got so into Persona 4 they did an Endurance Run of it?
-Remember when they did dual Deadly Premonition play throughs?
-Remember the fun heated Game of the Year debate over Saints Row vs Skyrim?
-Remember when Dark Souls became infectious and Vinny, then Brad, and Patrick all played through it on streams?
-Remember the Shenmue 1 play through that got so ridiculous Vinny had to bring out a guitar as they waited around for people?

I loved that stuff because I loved the engagement and enthusiasm. That's what I want in my game media content and while GB still finds it on occasion, it's less and less frequently, which is why I'm glad I stumbled across other groups that still can bring that more often. It's not about coded politics or a backlash against some sort of political agenda or anything other wanting to watch gaming content where the people are engaged and excited in a way that makes the enthusiasm infectious.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The wild thing is that, while Dan built a path out of a ton of lucky breaks, he also put in the work to make the most out of them. Dude wrote hundreds of reviews for a no-name local magazine for just enough money to buy the next game, spent his entire college life trying to make it to Game Informer, changed the way they did video production, and then jumped to Giant Bomb to fill a massive void after one of the founders passed away. Now he's stepping into another dream role, all because of the insane amount of work he's put in to get to that point.
Yeah totally agree, that's why I put "lucky" in ""'s...but I was too lazy to explain it properly like you have.

He does seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time but he also grafts super super hard....and I think he's very clever about leveraging one situation to get to the next one.

I could weirdly see him running WWE one day. (Although I know very little about the org).

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Also, didn't want to bring this up, but goddamn, people just can't not shit on Abby. Abby is fucking great. Abby and Vinny and their Six Crazy Frights leading up to Halloween is what got me to truly start following Giant Bomb. I can't get enough of watching those two, especially not when they're doing stuff together. They seem to truly enjoy each other's company, and there's always such a great atmosphere.

I know Abby is so good. I actually loved the Abby-Dan combo the most.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sure is great to see people take another opportunity to shit on Abby. Great going guys jfc

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I haven't really watched a lot of Giant Bomb since Ryan passed but Dan always brought energy and enthusiam to everything he did, I'am happy for him to be able to work for WWE since he is such a passionate wrestling fan.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Hard to imagine an industry that is more exploitative of its lifeblood than wrestling, so it's probably a good fit if the guy is a fan of such exploitation.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Abby's brand of comedy grates on me to no end. Her comedy isnt natural, she tries to force it on you with obvious sayings or just by chirping in and repeating what she hears. Ha Ha Alex doesnt like poop, lets talk about the poop I had or how i like to fart....Yeah no, its weak and doesnt add anything. She could leave tomorrow and nothing about the site would change

Abby rekindled my interest in the site. Its vastly better with her input.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Abby rekindled my interest in the site. Its vastly better with her input.

Abby is great. When they announce new hires it always feels really weird, never knowing if you're going to enjoy them or not. It amazed me how quickly she found her feet in videos and podcasts and when she's in the cast it's always a plus imo.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Abby, Ben and Jan are amazing. If I wanted to watch old people play video games, I'd go hang out in a retirement home.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that Mike Mahardy will be on every Beastcast until they can fill Dan's spot so that'll be good.
well, for one thing, it would be significantly worse

people complaining about Abby for things other members of the crew do just as much or even more will never cease to be a theme of these threads, huh
Tbh, it feels like regardless of what the thread is about any Giantbomb thread turns into a "lets bash the other members" "hey they're done now" thread.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Remember when the White House showed a clip of him playing Fallout 4 as an example of violence in video games?

Dan's great, I'll miss him on the Beastcast, and I wish him well. Certainly sounds like he's going to be doing something he loves. I'm not a wrestling fan, but I'll still catch him and Bonk on Panning the Stream.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I just like what Giant Bomb used to be:

-Remember when they got so into Persona 4 they did an Endurance Run of it?
-Remember when they did dual Deadly Premonition play throughs?
-Remember the fun heated Game of the Year debate over Saints Row vs Skyrim?
-Remember when Dark Souls became infectious and Vinny, then Brad, and Patrick all played through it on streams?
-Remember the Shenmue 1 play through that got so ridiculous Vinny had to bring out a guitar as they waited around for people?

I loved that stuff because I loved the engagement and enthusiasm. That's what I want in my game media content and while GB still finds it on occasion, it's less and less frequently, which is why I'm glad I stumbled across other groups that still can bring that more often. It's not about coded politics or a backlash against some sort of political agenda or anything other wanting to watch gaming content where the people are engaged and excited in a way that makes the enthusiasm infectious.
Like when Abby practically drags the crew to play more Sea of Thieves? Designing all GB sims?
Ben streaming early mornings? Or bringing clipboard notes to GOTY?
People keeping using Dan to complain about other hires, as if the only type of enthusiasm is screaming loudly all the time.

Jeff and whoever else doing the hirings are batting 1000 right now. All hires have been good, in their own ways. And I have faith in them bringing quality new hires to fill in for Dan as well.

It's not actually coded, some people on here, including me, think you are openly biased against Abby. Why that is, we don't really care to know.

Weird to complain so much about her, when Dan is one leaving, who also did his own movie/tv podcast on the side, frequently went to WWE events and came back not having much to talk about on games, and couldn't articulate his feelings about Death Stranding. Somehow he's dedication isn't questioned (not saying it should be).

Last edited:

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I do hope this motivates Jeff or all of them to come with a new far reaching plan for the future. Although seems like this is happening at bad time with Jeff focusing on his kid now..

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
How come I don't see you saying the same thing about Jan? They're both literally running the technical side of their respective podcasts. They can't, and shouldn't be over engaged in the podcasts and videos because they have a secondary job than just being a personality.

It's a fair point. And I've actually thought about that myself. Abby was likely hired for expertise first and foremost. I wasn't even really trying to hold that against her as I tried to reiterate multiple times. My only real point was that GB could really use more energy and enthusiasm of the kind Dan brought.

I was never trying to focus on Abby specifically. I mentioned Ben's lethargy and others too, but then people kept quoting/focusing on Abby. Ironically it's the people who keep saying they are tired of hearing people talk about her that are responsible for like dozens of backs and forth in this thread.

The only point I and I think a lot of others were making was about the new hires at GB outside of Dan not doing a ton to bring needed new energy to the site. Not trying to put all that on any one person's shoulders.