• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
There arent that many opportunities out there though, unless hes going to break out on his own, its a pretty small pool of opportunities out there
i never got the impression that austin left his EIC position because he was looking for something else. he's focusing on his writing and Friends at the Table Patreon, and he's working on the The New Day comic for Boom. He seemed to want to be out of the video game industry proper.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty frequent if you pay attention. She does it a bit less now, but she used to complain on the podcast about having to play games at home for work. Every time they do any kind of group stream and she is pared up with Vinny she says something like "Yay I get to compete against my boss." Every time she has a break she comes back saying she enjoyed not having to play videogames over her break/vacation.

I feel like your ability to detect levels of seriousness is desperately broken.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Be still, my heart. Still the greatest podcaster we ever lost.

I miss you, Black Dragon.

Me too. Just a fun-loving, incredibly smart and kind dude. I'd seriously love to hear him on the regular again.

What is Garnett Lee up to nowadays? Wasn't he working for Amazing for a while?

I'm pretty sure he left that gig but I lost the thread on where he is now. I'm sure I could just check his social media. Hey, I'm going to do just that! Another great podcasting voice.

EDIT: Best I can tell, he left Amazon in June...no updates on professional gigs that I see, and he posted on Twitter just prior to New Year about "what are you going to do next?" hopefully being answered for him. Give him a call, Jeff!

No way. Green would never leave Berkley, and I dont want Garnett in the GB family.

I'd rather take someone like Leo Vader or poach some other talent/ex-talent from GI.

They've done remote before (Patrick). Unless it's a company policy now, I don't see why they couldn't relax it. I'm with you on giving new voices a shot, though...absolutely.

Last edited:

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Dan is someone I constantly switch between hot and cold on. I couldn't stand his played-up "dumb" personality or his stubborn refusal to learn new things if he has decided it's not worth his time. He's also very much a poster child for the uncritical consumer, uninterested in the ethics of consumption or more closely examining what a game (or show, movie, etc) is really saying. For fucks sake, he genuinely thought Metal Gear didn't have politics.

But he definitely had some of the most fun ideas for new shows, and is responsible for my number one favorite moment of the whole website (2:30 if time stamp doesn't work)

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll miss him on GB a lot, and I can't say I'm not a bit worried about how he'll react to the actual environment working within the WWE, but I really hope he's happy there.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the main roster honestly they're one of the only good things and that's mostly due to their backstage/off screen stuff lmao. Nothing against them but you KNOW how it is on the main roster lol.

Yep! Only thing I keep hearing about these days is the Lana/Bobby Lashley/Rusev drama. I watched the RAW from this week out of curiousity and the "wedding" was sooooo bad. lmao

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Let's not forget the audacity of someone hustling to start + run a site, frequently working longer hours than they should, complaining about being tired.
I wasn't faulting Austin for feeling overworked. It is just something that really started to wear on me week in and week out listening to that podcast on my way to work or home "Oh god another Monday we made it...etc." There is such a thing as vibes and positive and negative energy.

I teach for a living and there are people in my profession who always talk like that. And I get it, it is hard work. I am as guilty as anyone of being too much of a workaholic and needing to find a healthier work/life balance. But I want to be around/listen to people that give me energy and pull me up. So when I work really hard and I am trying to enjoy my free time listening/watching gaming content, I really just don't want to hear a bunch of people who drag me down. It's nothing against them. It's just not what I am looking for. I want energy, engagement, and enthusiasm in the content I consume. And that doesn't always have to be "everything is awesome." It just has to not be lethargic, which is what a lot of the current and former GB crew brings.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
But he definitely had some of the most fun ideas for new shows, and is responsible for my number one favorite moment of the whole website (2:30 if time stamp doesn't work)

very sad they got too embarrassed playing a weird broken romhack trying to convert Mario 1 into 2 to ever go back and play the real Japanese Mario 2

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty frequent if you pay attention. She does it a bit less now, but she used to complain on the podcast about having to play games at home for work. Every time they do any kind of group stream and she is pared up with Vinny she says something like "Yay I get to compete against my boss." Every time she has a break she comes back saying she enjoyed not having to play videogames over her break/vacation.

I get it. She wants to make clear that it's a job, like any other, and she owes it no special affinity or passion. And that's more than fine; it is understandable. A lot of the original crew were friends before GB started. So to them it was a thing they were building together and their friendship fed into that. For Abby it isn't that at all and probably never could be. For her it's a job. Which again, I'm not faulting her for, it just isn't fun to watch or listen to someone who isn't as enthusiastic about the thing she is covering.

There are lots of people covering this industry who are passionate and fun. And maybe that eventually fades or they have to really work to make work, I don't know the inside track, but I know their content (like the Easy Allies crew and DLC) is a lot more fun to listen to.

what the fuck is it about giant bomb threads that attract people who sound like aliens who have never interacted with a human before but got saddled with "psychologist" for their faux-human disguise

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm going to say what you're all already thinking...

Garnett Lee or Jeff Green would both be great replacements.

Jeff wanted to get away from toxic ass people, hence why he took a long break from Twitter. If he read this thread I doubt he'd want to get anywhere near a job like that.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering who will replace Dan, I just thought of Tim Rogers because I like his sense of humor. But maybe he's not a great fit. I'm super curious who they are gonna get to replace Dan though.
More seriously I think it's more that Tim's strength as a content producer is in producing scripted or at least directed content, which is great for a place like Kotaku but pretty different from the live and unscripted content that Giantbomb focuses on.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Good for Dan to live out his dream, but I wonder how long he'll stick around knowing how WWE micromanages everything

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Dan to live out his dream, but I wonder how long he'll stick around knowing how WWE micromanages everything
There's only 2 options for Dan here. The WWE will either break his heart and completely change his mind towards his feelings towards a lot of it or it'll pull him in deeper and he'll be 24/7 Champion this year, be an on screen manager and/or whatever else they want him to do.

He's going big or not at all.
Yep! Only thing I keep hearing about these days is the Lana/Bobby Lashley/Rusev drama. I watched the RAW from this week out of curiousity and the "wedding" was sooooo bad. lmao
I skipped that since I just didn't wanna watch Raw but I saw clips and it was worse than expected lmao.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I get it. She wants to make clear that it's a job, like any other, and she owes it no special affinity or passion. And that's more than fine; it is understandable. A lot of the original crew were friends before GB started. So to them it was a thing they were building together and their friendship fed into that. For Abby it isn't that at all and probably never could be. For her it's a job. Which again, I'm not faulting her for, it just isn't fun to watch or listen to someone who isn't as enthusiastic about the thing she is covering.

There are lots of people covering this industry who are passionate and fun. And maybe that eventually fades or they have to really work to make work, I don't know the inside track, but I know their content (like the Easy Allies crew and DLC) is a lot more fun to listen to.

This is my feeling as well. I have tried so hard to like Abby since she was hired, but I just purely dislike her on the podcast(s). The videos are fine for me, but it doesn't seem like she cares much on the podcast.

The Dan and Jeff east combo was what I loved most about GBeast. Vinny is pure gold, but having that Dan + Jeff combo on the podcast was the best. Sad to see him go. Hopefully they can get someone with some energy to the podcast as well. So happy for Dan to get to do something else he loves, hope he does well. GiantBomb Cast and eventually the GBeast cast have been my weekly gaming news listening wise for more than 10 years now. Dan was one of my favorite parts of it. Losing Austin and Dan (not counting Ryan's passing as that was unforeseen) has been such a loss for me.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Really doubt Austin wants to come back, he's got his own stuff going on.
I would love for Austin to come back, but let's be honest, the dude is way over qualified for GB and is already doing one gaming podcast.
Here's an even more unpopular opinion: as someone who loves GB and Austin, Austin would be wasted on GB. They do nothing but podcasts and let's plays. If he can't write or produce long-form videos/articles, what's the point?
and as much as I liked what Waypoint now vice gaming did, it's clear the higher ups there didn't mesh with that format, hence why the gaming content from vice is undeniably different now. Not exactly sure of the payment arrangement he has with vice since he is no longer technically employed there but I would guess he isn't contributing what he does out of kindness, and since the change up I haven't seen any new endeavors from him with the newfound freedom he had and wanted. The long form expose style journalism style experiment at vice unfortunately failed for one reason or another and I really can't see him landing at another gaming site. So yeah I'd be all for Austin returning to GB where he would atleast be contributing more then he is now as a shadow of his former role at vice

Oct 25, 2017
I teach for a living and there are people in my profession who always talk like that. And I get it, it is hard work. I am as guilty as anyone of being too much of a workaholic and needing to find a healthier work/life balance. But I want to be around/listen to people that give me energy and pull me up. So when I work really hard and I am trying to enjoy my free time listening/watching gaming content, I really just don't want to hear a bunch of people who drag me down. It's nothing against them. It's just not what I am looking for. I want energy, engagement, and enthusiasm in the content I consume.
And you want Waypoint of all sites to deliver that for you? That's on you.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That would be incredible!

I think Garnet just left his job at Amazon a few months ago.

Personally I would love Jeff Green. Dude brings good vibes. Also he covers two demographics Giant Bomb doesn't yet have hires on: the Jewish and the geriatric demos. (Just kidding about the latter; love you dude!).

In all honesty, GB is never going to be chasing/catching the younger Youtube/Twitch audience. They are a site for 30 and 40 year olds who grew up with traditional gaming content. And as such Green would be a terrific fit. That would actually get me to continue my premium subscription.

Breaking Green: Seikiro Edition. Let's go.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Green is like 236 years old and a vampire. I'm pretty sure GB doesn't hire anyone with a power level above 9000 anyway.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
And you want Waypoint of all sites to deliver that for you? That's on you.

I came to Waypoint following Austin Patrick (primarily Patrick from Mario Maker Mornings) but also because I loved Danielle Riendeau from her previous podcasting. And yeah I did gradually find out that podcast isn't really for me, which is a bummer because I love all the people on it. I gave it almost two years before I stopped listening regularly (call it force of habit or attachment to the people on it). I still tune in every now and then only to be frustrated with it.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I've been subscribed for almost 8 years now, and have considered not re-upping lately, and this kinds cements the decision.

Good luck to Dan. I appreciate the energy he brought to the site after Ryan passed. I dunno where the site goes from here.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
More seriously I think it's more that Tim's strength as a content producer is in producing scripted or at least directed content, which is great for a place like Kotaku but pretty different from the live and unscripted content that Giantbomb focuses on.
Tim has actually been a pretty prolific podcaster in the past. He was one third of Insert Credit for years along with Frank Cifaldi and Brandon Sheffield, or my personal favorite podcast ever, Violence Island. He's done plenty of unscripted work.

I don't think he would be a particularly good fit at giant bomb though. But I do really wish they had brought him on as a guest when Videoball was making the rounds.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Jeff wanted to get away from toxic ass people, hence why he took a long break from Twitter. If he read this thread I doubt he'd want to get anywhere near a job like that.

You might be right. I just can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about the guy. He has strong opinions but shares them in a way that's never mean-spirited or nasty. Maybe being part of a site with paid subscribers would shield him a bit more than what he got on Twitter? Maybe? Possibly?

Probably not. :p

Personally I would love Jeff Green. Dude brings good vibes. Also he covers two demographics Giant Bomb doesn't yet have hires on: the Jewish and the geriatric demos. (Just kidding about the latter; love you dude!).

In all honesty, GB is never going to be chasing/catching the younger Youtube/Twitch audience. They are a site for 30 and 40 year olds who grew up with traditional gaming content. And as such Green would be a terrific fit. That would actually get me to continue my premium subscription.

Breaking Green: Seikiro Edition. Let's go.

I don't subscribe right now, but I would absolutely sign up in a heartbeat for Jeff! I bet there are a number of other folks who would as well.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Is it time for Mary Kish to return to Giant Bomb? My top three candidates would be:

Mary Kish
Garnett Lee
Jack Tretton

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to him. Hope he's not too much under the heel(yes, I know) of big WWE. Especially as their content as of late has apparently been pretty bad.

Bring Brad out East. Hire Natalie for West. West coast will now just be Jeff and Teens.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, just read he'll be completely behind the scenes over at the WWE.

That makes this even worse, considering his banter with New Day would have been worth a listen I think.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You might be right. I just can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about the guy. He has strong opinions but shares them in a way that's never mean-spirited or nasty. Maybe being part of a site with paid subscribers would shield him a bit more than what he got on Twitter? Maybe? Possibly?

Probably not. :p

I don't subscribe right now, but I would absolutely sign up in a heartbeat for Jeff! I bet there are a number of other folks who would as well.
We got people in this thread complaining about Austin having the audacity to say hes tired, all it would take is for Jeff to bring up the pains of being old once and suddenly hes being a negative nancy bringing down the vibes & harshing the mellow

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss the guy's positivity. It was nice to see a guy being happy and enthusiastic about stuff when gaming is so often full of grumpy people.

I hope he does well in his new job.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
This is my feeling as well. I have tried so hard to like Abby since she was hired, but I just purely dislike her on the podcast(s). The videos are fine for me, but it doesn't seem like she cares much on the podcast.

The Dan and Jeff east combo was what I loved most about GBeast. Vinny is pure gold, but having that Dan + Jeff combo on the podcast was the best. Sad to see him go. Hopefully they can get someone with some energy to the podcast as well. So happy for Dan to get to do something else he loves, hope he does well. GiantBomb Cast and eventually the GBeast cast have been my weekly gaming news listening wise for more than 10 years now. Dan was one of my favorite parts of it. Losing Austin and Dan (not counting Ryan's passing as that was unforeseen) has been such a loss for me.

To be fair, Abby is always recording the podcast in the sound room outside the studio (where everyone else is located). She has headphones on and is making sure everything is recording correctly. So I'm sure it's challenging to jump into conversations when trying to make sure all the audio levels are good and you're disconnected from the rest.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Even on the podcast today when Dan joked about not wanting to ever host it before Abby says "it does mean you have to pay attention all the time." And that kind of strikes me as Abby's general mode. She's not that engaged most of the time.

For those saying that's normal or healthy or whatever, I want to reiterate I'm not faulting her for it. It's just not the content I'm looking for.

Anyway, I didn't mean this to turn into some thing about Abby. She got a lot of shit she didn't deserve and I feel bad for what she had to step into (especially after that Game of the Year stuff a few years back). I was just using her as one example (among many of the new hires) that led me to feel estranged by Giant Bomb whereas they used to be the only gaming content I consumed after 1up went away.

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoy Dan's stuff a lot, but I really don't want to consume any more WWE content aside from what I already watch (NXT, NXT UK, and the odd PPV). It looks like he'll be behind the scenes so I won't really miss anything by skipping out on these podcasts.