• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he started talking to her when she was a minor (that she porvide proof of), and after she become older he started to have sexual conversations and used his celebrity status to manipulate her to just have sex and dump her immediately after it, doesn't make it look less of a creep.

Just because he waited for her to be legal, doesn't make him look less of human garbage.
Did he initiate contact? Did he say much more than happy birthday? Is there some evidence showing that he was grooming her in the intervening years? "Waited until she's legal" kinda obfuscates that there was a 4 year gap and she was 22. Obviously playing the long game there...

And apparently the source of this is an account that literally only posts and comments in the rantgrumps subreddit.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Did he initiate contact? Did he say much more than happy birthday? Is there some evidence showing that he was grooming her in the intervening years? "Waited until she's legal" kinda obfuscates that there was a 4 year gap and she was 22. Obviously playing the long game there...

And apparently the source of this is an account that literally only posts and comments in the rantgrumps subreddit.
He did replied to a minor. I know he is a manchild in his forthy but should know at least better.
Also the 4 years gap was a matter of opportunity, that once he finally had, he used her and all of the sudden had no longer interest in talking to her.
Also the only source we can base so now his her, that she porvided proof of their engage. He is free to come out and said his side of the story any time he wants.

Also you might want to cut down on the passive agressive reply.
Obviously playing the long game there...

Right now I still believe you replying in good faith. But that might change and I might reply the same stupid way if you continue

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018

Correct me if I've got myself mixed up here, but doesn't the "happy birthday" post provided have both names blacked out? Certainly I've seen a few people saying that, finding it hard to see much of the stuff first hand as I refuse to visit an alt-right adjacent subreddit.

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
lots of men dismissing this as just "rockstar" behavior without looking as to why this behavior is common within famous men and how it deeply effects young women lol

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I clicked the video and at first thought "I guess panning shots of a jacuzzi are slightly creepy within this context"

Then I realized I forgot to turn on the sound.

Jesus Christ

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The relation didn't turn fisical until 22. But their online enchange started before, in conversation.
When it happened was a matter of oportunity, when they both meet.
That ended the second he got what he wanted from her.
Also this is not a 1 time thing. Dan has a documented history of doing this

My problem with a lot of this documented history is that it comes almost exclusively from either a reddit dedicated to complaining about GameGrumps wishing it went back to the Jon era, and Kiwifarms/lolcows. Not exactly the most reputable or unbiased source of information, especially since they've rarely if ever provided any actual proof, just that it was internally "verified" to be real by people with a vested interest in creating youtuber drama.

I'm glad at least this time we have an accusation with some level of difficult to fake proof attached to it.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
My problem with a lot of this documented history is that it comes almost exclusively from either a reddit dedicated to complaining about GameGrumps wishing it went back to the Jon era, and Kiwifarms/lolcows. Not exactly the most reputable or unbiased source of information, especially since they've rarely if ever provided any actual proof, just that it was internally "verified" to be real by people with a vested interest in creating youtuber drama.

I'm glad at least this time we have an accusation with some level of difficult to fake proof attached to it.
yes-itsathrowaway.tumblr.com

dan avidan accusations masterpost

WHERE IT ALL STARTED kati schwartz (former employee of grumps/NSP and former close friend to the group) posts a video of her play “Bad People” (link to reupload) reddit fans start linking a “John”…

We have more

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
yes-itsathrowaway.tumblr.com

dan avidan accusations masterpost

WHERE IT ALL STARTED kati schwartz (former employee of grumps/NSP and former close friend to the group) posts a video of her play “Bad People” (link to reupload) reddit fans start linking a “John”…

We have more

This is what I'm talking about though. A lot of these came from lolcows/kiwifarms, it's what that reddit post is referring to. The only thing that ever had any sort of substantial evidence in favor of it was the fallout with his former PA, and now this. Otherwise these all came from a community dedicated to harassing people and creating drama in the name of "lulz", not something you can credibly quote.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
This is what I'm talking about though. A lot of these came from lolcows/kiwifarms, it's what that reddit post is referring to. The only thing that ever had any sort of substantial evidence in favor of it was the fallout with his former PA, and now this. Otherwise these all came from a community dedicated to harassing people and creating drama in the name of "lulz", not something you can credibly quote.
Probably why it didn't got the attention it got now.
Let's see if is not a Carlson situacion where he just dissapeard, and he actually responds to this.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably why it didn't got the attention it got now.
Let's see if is not a Carlson situacion where he just dissapeard, and he actually responds to this.

Well they have 4-ish hours til the next GG episode is supposed to go live, so hopefully something before then cause they can't just pretend nothing happened and assuming they turn off the auto uploads.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Avidan definitely isn't married. Does the timeline of this overlap with when he was dating someone exclusively?

This doesn't overlap with his current long term relationship. Someone said he was in another long term relationship before the current one and almost got married. I remember him talking about the breakup on grumps but don't recall the year. This event seems to have taken place between those relationships. The events the former PA is describes also seems to be from the same time frame as the bath tub.

Well they have 4-ish hours til the next GG episode is supposed to go live, so hopefully something before then cause they can't just pretend nothing happened and assuming they turn off the auto uploads.

Auto uploads are still going. A clip just went up on their secondary channel.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm sure they'll leave the auto-uploads on.

I would expect whether these allegations are true or not, Dan/Arin/GG will still want to take a moment to formulate what they want to say about it. I don't think they'll ignore it whether it's true or false.

Mar 29, 2018
I know that feel. I just turned 33. Just casually talking to anyone under 25 makes me feel like I'm doing something illegal.
Yeah, people talked about the "half your age + 7" rule but that still doesn't feel quite right, it gives you 23 which definitely feels just too young.

80% of your age feels best IMO. It gives you 26 which feels pretty reasonable.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Aaand of course he goes after bisexual girls looking for threesoms. Prick.

I've got notifications ready if Arin, Brian, GG or NSP tweet today.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't overlap with his current long term relationship. Someone said he was in another long term relationship before the current one and almost got married. I remember him talking about the breakup on grumps but don't recall the year. This event seems to have taken place between those relationships. The events the former PA is describes also seems to be from the same time frame as the bath tub.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I had a similar impression.

That kind of innuendo (i.e., how he hurt a nonexistent wife) obviously doesn't help the discussion one way or the other. Intentional or not, I feel like it's important to shoot that stuff down.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Honestly I feel this is starting to get to the point where power dynamics are needing a few discussion of what's too much because I'm still pretty skeptical that people who upload YouTube videos have reached a level where it's too uneven now

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, people talked about the "half your age + 7" rule but that still doesn't feel quite right, it gives you 23 which definitely feels just too young.

80% of your age feels best IMO. It gives you 26 which feels pretty reasonable.
Idk, I'm 26 currently dating a 42 year old and it's been above and beyond my healthiest relationship

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel this is starting to get to the point where power dynamics are needing a few discussion of what's too much because I'm still pretty skeptical that people who upload YouTube videos have reached a level where it's too uneven now
He's also the frontman of a band that can reliably sell out large venues and has released several successful albums.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any issues with someone in their 40s having a relationship with someone in their 20s, with proper consent from both parties. The imbalance of power between creative and fan, and the psychological abuse of ghosting her afterwards, is the real issue here.

Mar 29, 2018
Idk, I'm 26 currently dating a 42 year old and it's been above and beyond my healthiest relationship
Oh I'm not saying this as if it's a hard rule or categorically right or wrong. Happy for you. I'm just describing a general feeling about dating "downwards" in age. You might see what I mean as you get older. For instance, in my experience, after 22-23 people all generally just fall into the "adult" category and are generally much of a muchness. But as someone in their early 30s, if i'm chatting to someone on a dating app who's 21... even if it's a super mature and healthy conversation, and we can get on really well, it'll still feel wrong to me. Same goes all the way up to 23 or 24... even though it's basically arbitrary and doesn't speak to the quality of the potential relationship at all.

(This is all by-the-by regarding the thread's topic, which is some heinous behaviour from a clearly toxic person.)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

They have 5 million subscribers, an even bigger regular audience and sell out venues on the reg. Imagine even 1% of that doxxing you.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
He's also the frontman of a band that can reliably sell out large venues and has released several successful albums.
Yeah, saw an NSP show a few years ago in St. Paul and it was packed. Several thousand people there at least and tickets were expensive and sold out fast.

Pretty disappointed in Dan's behavior but I can't say I'm all that surprised, given the kind of stuff he's talked about on Game Grumps. What really sucks is he's been very open to talking about his problems (drug use, anxiety, depression) in the past which I think has been a very valuable outlet for people going through similar things, so finding out that he goes through (overwhelmingly young/barely legal) women like tissue paper is upsetting.

Oct 25, 2017
fucking pedophile, its crazy how these youtubers have easy access to younger fans and there is very little holding them back

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
OK, thanks for clarifying. I had a similar impression.

That kind of innuendo (i.e., how he hurt a nonexistent wife) obviously doesn't help the discussion one way or the other. Intentional or not, I feel like it's important to shoot that stuff down.

His former assistant also said he is not a pedophile or a rapist and those type of allegations should be thrown out unless proven otherwise. Seen some people pushing the pedophile narrative so people should know.

Does anyone know what the allegations against the former PA were? I've seen people bring it up but no mention of details. My only guess based on when she got fired is maybe the stuff around projared and holly.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any issues with someone in their 40s having a relationship with someone in their 20s, with proper consent from both parties. The imbalance of power between creative and fan, and the psychological abuse of ghosting her afterwards, is the real issue here.
This about sums it up

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
fucking pedophile, its crazy how these youtubers have easy access to younger fans and there is very little holding them back
These statements take away from the fact that Dan Avidan is taking advantage of the power dynamics at play when you have an audience that numbers in the millions. I don't care who you are, it feels good to receive validation and acknowledgement from someone in such a position of power that you look up to. It's very easy (and even understandable) to go along with whatever they want to. The onus is on said celebrity to understand their position.

As for the age gap, I'm not in a position to comment on it because it's such a personal opinion that it's meaningless when discussing this sort of situation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I have an 8 year gap between me and my long-time SO, so for situations like this, I'm inclined to look more to definite signs of bad intentions and/or specifics about mistreatment. Age can ABSOLUTELY be an element of an unhealthy power-play, but it's totally misunderstanding people to declare that the age gap itself is the abuse. I say that understanding the celebrity element is also a factor here.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have known several people that dated with a huge age gap when they were adults and some of them even married. Like you It is the power dynamic that I take issue with. Until further information comes to light especially from Dan's side we are stuck in this limbo.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Grooming is in large part about power/status and psychological manipulation than just age difference. If your older SO cares about that then that's important... If they'd been talking to you despite a significant age gap for years, waiting for you to come of age, talks to you in a sexualized manner, pumps and dumps you, then all of a sudden that "healthy" part you're talking about no longer exists. Celebrity relationships with fans have an immediate imbalance of power, if the relationship was genuine that's one thing, but Dan also seems to have done a lot of the above as well that indicates he pumped and dumped and left the girl hanging dry.

I kinda like thinking about it the other way. My dad would have killed me for wanting to date a 40 year old before I hit 20, cuz I mean, what is said 40yo saying to a 20yo to spark a relationship (especially if they're some sort of celebrity)? It's a baaaaad look. Not to say it won't happen (I'm happy for you tbh) but it's very dubious.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that hard not to groom children ffs.

Do you people even read the thread? He's accused of hooking up with adult fans in a consensual way (inappropriate because they're fans) and then ghosting them (inappropriate as well). Not grooming children or being a pedophile.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think having a sexual encounter or starting a relationship with a creator you're a fan of is inherently wrong, I think it's much more important to focus on the fact that Dan used his celebrity status to coerce women (and women who were always several years younger than him) into sex while lying to them that he cared so much. That's not just having sex with a celebrity and everyone knows and understands it's a casual sexual encounter, that is flat out emotional manipulation he pulled so he could coerce women into having sex with them, and it'd be abhorrent regardless of their age.

A webcomic creator I follow, back in 2004, started dating one of his fans and then a few years later they got married and had kids a while back. That's something that wouldn't have happened had he not created this comic she became a fan of, but the difference being of course he didn't use his "fame" to coerce her into thinking it was something its not. There is a power imbalance, where someone is approaching you as someone you may not be, and from there you have a responsibility to address that and go from there so you both understand what you want and what will happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought he recognized and voiced the faults in the stuff he put out and sought to make amends. Or did something new happen?

Even with all that, he has a creepy editor and a creepy co-host that he won't do anything about.

Do you people even read the thread? He's accused of hooking up with adult fans in a consensual way (inappropriate because they're fans) and then ghosting them (inappropriate as well). Not grooming children or being a pedophile.

One of the accusations makes a point of noting that the person was underage when they first started talking.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Cant these people just tinder it out with a legal age partner and consent?
They can but it's probably more work than just hooking up with a fan who looks up to you and is eager to meet. That's the part that blows my mind a bit. People ghost. That shit happens and as shitty as it is, you don't necessarily owe this person a second date or anything. But to engage in this behavior with fans is another level of stupidity. This is a person you know is enamored with you in some way, who regularly watches your content and shit and who would jump at the chance to meet you. If you fuck them and ghost them, you're hurting this person more than some guy on Tinder would. At least on Tinder you'd just be an asshole. In this case you're more than an asshole, you're a slimy creep to. Especially since they weren't even of age when you first chatted them up. It doesn't matter if you fucked them 4 or 5 years later. The thought process was still "oh shit she's legal now? Let me get in on that."

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
One of the accusations makes a point of noting that the person was underage when they first started talking.

Is this the main accusation, where the person was a few months from turning 18 when they first greeted Avidan, and there wasn't contact until 4 years later?

I noticed in the earliest rounds of these accusations that people were throwing around "pedophile" and "underage" to add weight to what purportedly went down. It's possible I missed a detail, but I'm under the impression that was never the substance of the actual accusation. This seemed to be leveraged a lot in the r/rantgrumps and Kiwifarms/lolcows discourse, a lot of which came across as bad-faith. That doesn't mean the accusation is baseless, but it's also easy to get Gríma Wormtongue'd for something as serious as this.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
These power dynamics are shocking.

I also wonder where victims can actually turn to? Is GameGrumps Dan's employer? Or is he a contractor?
There should be lots of layers of structure and management around male celebrities and their fans.
That this dynamic can exist unchecked and without safety net for victims is horrendous. Hope there's some response to the structural problem and how to address it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
These power dynamics are shocking.

I also wonder where victims can actually turn to? Is GameGrumps Dan's employer? Or is he a contractor?
There should be lots of layers of structure and management around male celebrities and their fans.
That this dynamic can exist unchecked and without safety net for victims is horrendous. Hope there's some response to the structural problem and how to address it.

Arin is the boss/owner of Gamegrumps. It's not co-owned and Dan is in all technicalities is only an employee.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
They have 5 million subscribers, an even bigger regular audience and sell out venues on the reg. Imagine even 1% of that doxxing you.

but that's such a nebulous standard though. I can be doxxed by any number of accounts that would be detrimental to my online presence but I don't think that then cuts them off from sleeping with people. And what level of venue does or does not meet a cut off point? 1000 seats? Is being able to fill up a 100 seats where things become murky?

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
but that's such a nebulous standard though. I can be doxxed by any number of accounts that would be detrimental to my online presence but I don't think that then cuts them off from sleeping with people. And what level of venue does or does not meet a cut off point? 1000 seats? Is being able to fill up a 100 seats where things become murky?
A better standard would be not fucking around with any fans regardless of your following, leveraging someone's interest in and adoration of a funhouse mirror version of yourself is bad period

Status
Not open for further replies.