• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was in disbelief when I read the title.
Disgusting. Grooming a 17yo at 40 something is just disgusting. I wonder what actions GG will follow through with this. Will Dan leave? Take a leave of absence?

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, shit. I havent watched GG in ages but I liked them way back. Well this sucks. The evidence is pretty damming.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this so many times.

Can online people stop creeping on young women? No?

Then get the fuck out.

I'm curious what the response from GG to this will be.
Honestly, GG should just be ended at this point. The co-host track record is a mess, and Arin can create a new brand if he does actually want to continue.

Yeah, I really don't understand why people feel compelled to come to topics about underage grooming and abuse to share how uncomfortable they feel talking to women younger than they are.
Same, it gets a big side-eye from me. "I make younger women uncomfortable when I'm in the same room as them." Congrats on the sexual predator vibes?

This is NOT the thread to talk about other people.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is NOT the place to talk about other people or their responses to this news. Anyone trying to deflect from the topic at hand will receive threadbans at minimum.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
The channel can't recover after a major controversy with two cohosts and you yourself have skeletons in your closet. His safest route is to move on and consider going to full time streaming. He already has someone he could interact with regularly in Ross who is now a full time streamer so it's not like he doesn't have people he knows to play with.

And if he ends up sweeping this under the rug it calls into questions all this recent attempts from him to be better particularly if there are more who haven't come forward.
Arin is really between a rock and a hard place, even the safest route you mention could be initially a blow for his income. But in a situation like this he should think about his long term image, and show us he won't be omissive when it comes to abuses practiced by his cohost.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Honestly, GG should just be ended at this point. The co-host track record is a mess, and Arin can create a new brand if he does actually want to continue.

Same, it gets a big side-eye from me. "I make younger women uncomfortable when I'm in the same room as them." Congrats on the sexual predator vibes?

I feel that's what SHOULD happen, but it WON'T.

Young fans getting creeped on is sadly nothing new. Bands have been doing it with groupies for decades.

Same thing with them too. Just fuck off somewhere.

Women deserve better :/

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Ninja sex party still had a following, he was friends with a lot of these newgrounds era creators/let's players and appeared in their live videos and stuff. This isn't denying he became even bigger since going on grumps though.
Yes, his band Ninja Sex Party (ugh) gained him popularity before he joined Game Grumps.
Oh, okay. I assumed the band came after Grumps, honestly. In that case I really hope it was Arin being totally unaware.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hopefully we'll see a statement of some sort from Arin by the end of this week. Or day, even. Isn't GameGrumps based in California? Still plenty of daylight hours to speak up.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Isn't waiting till someone is 18 still illegal if you were grooming them while they were underage as grooming is illegal, no?

I'm not sure but because 5 years passed between first contact the context of those earlier texts would likely be needed for any charges to land.

I was in disbelief when I read the title. Then I saw the video and screenshots. What the hell Dan? I genuinely thought he was a cool dude.

He always seemed pretty humble. He brought up a bunch of personal and self help discussions on game grumps that a lot of fans looked up and thanked him for. This is going to hurt them bad.

Oh, okay. I assumed the band came after Grumps, honestly. In that case I really hope it was Arin being totally unaware.

The sexual encounters were backstage at game grumps shows. While not verified yet, dans personal assistant (both grumps had one) sounds like she knew what was going on so I have a hard time seeing how Arin could be totally unaware.

Realistically I wouldn't expect any statements today. Tomorrow or Tuesday at the earliest? Sure.

Ya probably be a while. Keeping an eye on Ross, Matt and Ryan to see if they say anything.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely don't expect any statements today. Arin has been with Dan as a partner in business for years, I'm sure he's going to reach out tomorrow if not later to get all ducks in a row. Since this also potentially means a huge blow/outright death of the business they've grown together.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely don't expect any statements today. Arin has been with Dan as a partner in business for years, I'm sure he's going to reach out tomorrow if not later to get all ducks in a row. Since this also potentially means a huge blow/outright death of the business they've grown together.
I'm honestly very curious because some of this stuff is actually over a year old and they have not said anything

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The sexual encounters were backstage at game grumps shows. While not verified yet, dans personal assistant (both grumps had one) sounds like she knew what was going on so I have a hard time seeing how Arin could be totally unaware.
Oof, not a good look. Not jumping to conclusions yet but yeah.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
yeaaaaaaaaah, even if was all 'legal', the (near) 20-year difference and power dynamics in play still make it sketchy as all shit

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dang it, I hate this.

I really liked NSP and Game Grumps here and there. Why can't you all just be respectful and not weird ugh. Those poor victims. I'm glad them came forward.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Oh fuck, I did not see that coming. Well, Dan can get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Terrible stuff. I avoid most internet personalities because at this point it seems like most of them are sketchy at best and pedos at worst. It's gotta be rough parenting in a day and age when predators have so many avenues to find victims.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
User Threadbanned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
MOD EDIT: Tweet removed.

This fucken guy

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck's sake.

For someone who has spoken so much and with such clarity about his own personal journey to, in the most charitable possible interpretation, have such little appreciation for the power dynamics at play here is hugely disappointing.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Damn. I've been watching Game Grumps every day since like 2015 with the first Mario Maker episodes. It's been a constant in my life and a regular salve for my mental health.

This is beyond disappointing.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is extremely disappointing and fucked up. I'm glad I never got into the Danny era of Grumps now in retrospect, though both he and Jon seem like awful people.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Fuck. This one hurts. A lot.

I've been watching Game grumps to get through depressive episodes for the past 5 years. I fucking loved Danny and heard so many stories about him being kind to fans.

But fucking your fans is such a bad move. This is so creepy and unsettling.

Fucking hell. I feel sick to my stomach.

MOD EDIT: Tweet removed.

This fucken guy

JonTron is still a Nazi.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
This hurts. Their content has helped me get through many tough situations, but this is completely unacceptable behavior. My heart goes out to all the victims.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Fuuuuck, not dan... I've been following them from day one, and at this point i mostly watch GG for dan... He was the last person i excepted something like this to happen! He was so wholesome in general

fucking hell.... that's a huge disappointement... Wonder what Arin will do now

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is supremely disappointing. There are some things that I feel about this that I won't say here because reasons.

Just saying that I'm very disappointed.

Feb 8, 2020
This sucks. I haven't watched Game Grumps since probably 2014, but Dan always seemed pretty chill. This is awful, and I hope everyone he's hurt will be alright.

I'm already seeing people on Twitter talk about how the girl was just 1 month shy of being an adult when she and Danny started talking and how it was all legal, as if that excuses the sleaziness and power dynamics at play here. I worry that all of this will just be swept under the rug. Hopefully something will be done.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge bummer. I enjoyed Dan when I watched Grumps and I do like some of his music and NSP stuff.

It's hard to believe but Jon was only on Grumps for about 10 months before Dan took over, he's been on the show for almost a decade. I don't see Arin trying to find a replacement at this point nor do I think he's going to try and sweep this under the rug.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Very disgusting. I'm sure a lot of people will defend this, unfortunately. I'd also not expect a statement for at least a couple of days.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Yeah if I were Arin I'd probably be having some kind of breakdown over this happening all over again, so I'd expect to give him a day or two. He sure knows how to pick em, man

I was fond of GG/NSP, would go through spells of binging their stuff every so often. Even if somehow he kept his job, waaay too much of Dan's shtick is wrapped up in this creepy shit for it to still be remotely approachable or funny, better known as pullin a Louis

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I looked up to Dan. I related to his stories and loved his friendship with Arin.

GameGrumps got me through a lot of tough times. It was brutal to hear JonTron use Nazi fake facts and then double down and triple down on them but somehow this one cuts deeper.

Glad women spoke up.

The power dynamic is real. It can't be ignored, especially when you combine age difference with them being fans.

I really hope the rabbit hole doesn't go deeper because this is bad enough. I hope Dan cops to everything, gets help and goes away for a while. But few people who are outed like this actually take that path.

Hopefully this isn't all jargon.

I'm just shocked. I feel sick. My anxiety is in full hear which I realize makes me sound pathetic.

Really shitty way to treat women.

I don't see Arin trying to find a replacement at this point nor do I think he's going to try and sweep this under the rug.
Yeah at minimum, Grumps is probably going to go away for a while. I'd give Arin a few days to process before he says anything.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Read through some of the earlier accusations and at one point he literally tells someone "I've been so busy living my rockstar dreams!"

that just fucking crushed me. god fucking dammit.

It's really starting to hit now, seeing how many women spoke up and how old some of these posts are.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ

Everytime one of those videos leaks (feel like we've seen this in the past with other gaming figures) I can't believe someone filmed that and thought it was not creepy, cringey, socially awkward to send that to someone. Like I just can't imagine

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really so difficult to not take advantage of people? It just seems like it would be incredibly uncomfortable to hook up with a fan, let alone someone decades younger than you. But nope, creepy fucks like this guy are all too eager to go for it. So disgusting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I feel weak for being this fucked up about it.

Also, I would not go to the linked sub "rantgrumps" for support that I stupidly did. More than half of that sub are alt-right fuckwads posting "Jon did nothing wrong" "bring Jon back".

I feel the same. There's an extra level of connection with these creators who make funny youtube videos and then make it big, that they're just normal folks and not these glamorous Hollywood celebrities, and when you find this shit out about them it hurts more, I guess.

Maybe it's that "parasocial relationship" thing going on, where I'm imprinting strong feelings onto a face behind a screen. Hearing Dan and Arin talk about their lives, Dan gushing about his parents and how he loves them and how they supported him every step of the way, his own struggles with mental health and self esteem, like, fuck.

Oct 28, 2017
I know people can hide things and/or change but Arin really knows how to pick people. That's 0/2 for co-hosts who are reprehensible assholes.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone from Game Grumps has rubbed me the wrong way from day 1, but grooming wasn't on my list because I had no idea about the lyrics. From what I've learned about someone close in my life turning out to be a groomer, the hard edge to their comedy is a calling card to me. When all their comedy has that hard edge...watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.