• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3jnvww.jpg

Nov 23, 2017
Loved this show, I utterly completely do not understand some of the negativity towards it. Probably people who just cannot accept continuations of the beloved things they gate kept, I guess. Do we know about a season 2 yet?

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
for the first time in a show like this I'm ok with that, I guess. I do wanna know if

she got his powers or a portion of them.

From Damon:
"I don't want to the person who says like, 'Here's exactly what happened if we had let the camera run for another five seconds,'" Lindelof says. "We chose to cut to black where and when we did for a very specific reason that I don't really want to interrogate in any real way. Can someone really make a legitimate argument that Dr. Manhattan said all that stuff about the egg and that Angela grabbed that carton of eggs and threw it down as hard as she could yet one miraculously survived? Or that Dr. Manhattan said in Episode 8, 'I need you to see me on the pool, it's important for later.' And that then she would just basically splash into the pool and be like, 'Well I guess I misunderstood what he was going for there?'"

More importantly, there's no emotional payoff to Angela being wrong about Cal's intentions. In The Leftovers, the ambiguity was part central relationship of the show and to this day Lindelof says you can argue that ending any way you like: "The overall point was the truthiness of Nora speech was irrelevant to the fact that it's what she needed to tell herself and tell Kevin in order for them to be together." But as for Angela and the egg and that pool? "I'm not saying that it's an illegitimate argument that Angela just probably got salmonella and wet hair, but that would be the lamest—a really shitty ending."

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, he did not say that. He said he personally does not want to be involved with a second season, but clearly left the show with room for continuation.

You have a quote for that? Cause I'm almost direct quoting him from the Official Watchmen Podcast that released last night

Edit: The actual quote I'm referencing

Craig Mazin: So, Damon are we coming back for Season 2 or what?
Damon Lindelof: Uh, my instinct right now at this precise exact moment of time is I don't know and probably not.

Were the ratings not good?

He originally wrote it to be a limited series. I think performance wise that HBO is probably really satisfied with it but I haven't seen any numbers reported (there probably are I just haven't looked)

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No, he did not say that. He said he personally does not want to be involved with a second season, but clearly left the show with room for continuation.
Not really. He said he'd be open to it if he had an idea for it, but isn't in a rush to go out and make that happen. He's equally as excited to see what someone else would do with the material.

Absolutely nothing is set in stone regarding it. And as usual in hollywood, if HBO offered him the right amount of money, he'd think up an idea for it real quick. (which isn't a criticism, it's just a reality).

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
You have a quote for that? Cause I'm almost direct quoting him from the Official Watchmen Podcast that released last night
This is from his interview with Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/watchmen-finale-lindelof-interview-925847/
Combine that with the last scene in last night's finale.

So is it fair to say that you are done telling a Watchmen story?
I don't think that's fair. I think that it would be foolish to say "never." And to say "done." Because every great heist movie is borne on the back of a character who is out of the game. If Clint Eastwood was done, then we never would have gotten Unforgiven. I know that it's hubris to say, "I'm done with Watchmen," and I wouldn't want to wake up two years from now with divine interv— I mean inspiration. Interesting that I almost said "intervention." If that were to happen, I would probably go for it. But I am comfortable saying, "Every single idea that we had is onscreen and presented in these nine episodes. And there isn't anything that occurred to us that was like, 'Oh, that would be a good Season Two. We should save that.'" Everything that we wanted to do, we did. So I feel like the plate is empty. There's nothing rattling around in my brain right now that feels like a compulsion to do more. That said, I feel like Watchmen is bigger than me. Of course it is. It survived without me and endured as one of the greatest pieces of storytelling for 30 years before I had anything to do with it. So I got my turn at the wheel — just like I had a turn at the helm of Star Trek, and then I stepped back, and now others have taken it. I do have a desire for there to be more Watchmen. Maybe these nine episodes have demonstrated that the playing field is a little bit larger than previously thought. It may inspire someone else to tell a Watchmen story. But right now, I don't have any more ideas. Whether you call something a limited series or an ongoing series, that's fodder for awards consideration. I'm not comfortable calling this anything other than nine complete episodes with a beginning, a middle, and an end. There is no promise of a continuation. Although others may disagree.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best show of the year for me and I watched Succession Season 2. Just an incredible and unique experience. Lindelof is a god.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
This is from his interview with Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/watchmen-finale-lindelof-interview-925847/
Combine that with the last scene in last night's finale.
Which is more recent though, him saying that to Rolling Stone or the podcast released last night?

Not trying to be a contrarian I'm genuinely wondering since either interview could have been made at any time, with one being print and the other a podcast, and things could have possibly changed between one and the other? But also as others have said, I'm sure if HBO wanted him back they could help him come up with some new ideas pretty fast hahaha

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Which is more recent though, him saying that to Rolling Stone or the podcast released last night?

Not trying to be a contrarian I'm genuinely wondering since either interview could have been made at any time, with one being print and the other a podcast, and things could have possibly changed between one and the other? But also as others have said, I'm sure if HBO wanted him back they could help him come up with some new ideas pretty fast hahaha
The podcast last night is probably more recent, although I think both sources are saying essentially the same thing which is: Lindelof has no current plans for a second season. Everything after that is basically up to what HBO, Lindelhof, and more likely other creators want to do. The material is there for another season (just based the last scene of last night's epidode) and Lindelho openly discusses others taking up the helm if there is content to drive it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is maybe the one time ever someone could get away with this haha.
Apparently the language used in the actors' contracts imply more than one season.
That's standard, just in case, unless it's hard mandated by some big name actor that this limited series really just be limited (or at least they don't have subsequent seasons in first position).