• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Of all of the fanbases I straight up never would want to cross, the Swifties rank right near the top.

This dude is in for a rough couple of months lol

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Ugh the last thing that Gorillaz needs is Damon acting stupid now that they had to get their fans back slowly after the whole NFT incident.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Dude, I'd have way more respect if you'd said you think her music sucks instead of whatever this was.

Exactly. Like hey, no one's perfect, some people don't like Taylor Swift's work, whatever.

Saying she doesn't do the work she does, saying she's fraudulently claiming to write her own lyrics.. that's a whole other thing entirely.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
He was wrong, got called out, and apologized.

The bit about click bait is weird, but this all seems pretty okay? Kind of like most of the music Damon and Taylor are putting out these days zinggg

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Gorillaz more than Taylor's music all day every day but that is such a bad thing to say, at least know if what you're saying is true before saying it

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
At least he didn't come out and just say "I meant that what she writes can't be considered songs" or something like that.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wait, I was always under the impression that the Max/Shellback duo wrote and produced a lot of the most famous Taylor Swift hits of the last decade.
Is the argument that Taylor swift wrote the basis and lyrics for the songs and Max/Shellback just helped make it into a "pop song"?

I'm trying to google this but I'm not finding many sources. Someone clarify for me the songwriting process here.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't count I know what co-writing is co-writing is very different to writing I'm not hating on anybody I'm just saying there's a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes

Parklife!

Doesn't mean that the outcome can't be really great and some of the greatest singers I mean Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life when I sing I have to close my eyes and just be in there

Parklife!

I suppose I'm a traditionalist in that sense a really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother I'm more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift it's just darker less endlessly upbeat way more minor and odd I think she's exceptional

Parklife!

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I didn't know she wrote all her own music aside from her early stuff, I know she has a super fervent fan base, I guess that's why because it seems pretty rare for huge pop acts to do that

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He was wrong, got called out, and apologized.

The bit about click bait is weird, but this all seems pretty okay? Kind of like most of the music Damon and Taylor are putting out these days zinggg

He never once apologized for being wrong

He apologized for the LA Times clickbaiting his supposed nuanced point and just pretended he never said Swift wasn't a song writer

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The Swifties rival the Beyhive at this point.

RIP to that man's socials.

He should be fine, he's out of the USA after today, and aren't her fans a bit old for that kind of nonsense anyway?

tenor.gif

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
That doesn't count I know what co-writing is co-writing is very different to writing I'm not hating on anybody I'm just saying there's a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes

Parklife!

Doesn't mean that the outcome can't be really great and some of the greatest singers I mean Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life when I sing I have to close my eyes and just be in there

Parklife!

I suppose I'm a traditionalist in that sense a really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother I'm more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift it's just darker less endlessly upbeat way more minor and odd I think she's exceptional

Parklife!

Fantastic that's all just wanted to say this is Fantastic

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I was always under the impression that the Max/Shellback duo wrote and produced a lot of the most famous Taylor Swift hits of the last decade.
Is the argument that Taylor swift wrote the basis and lyrics for the songs and Max/Shellback just helped make it into a "pop song"?

I'm trying to google this but I'm not finding many sources. Someone clarify for me the songwriting process here.

Given how songwriting credits work and how much leverage a star as big as Taylor Swift has, it's almost impossible to really know the extent she did or didn't have input on the songwriting imo

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a huge Taylor Swift fan but I love that she stood up and just called it like it is: "That's pretty fucked up."

But he apologized. That should be the end of it. We don't need to dox this guy just for being an ass about music. If we started doing that all of Pitchfork would be in witness protection :)

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"I apologise unreservedly and unconditionally" sure sounds like an apology to me.

If I call you an asshole in the newspaper and then apologise unreservedly and unconditionally for the newspaper clickbaiting me and my nuanced discussion on assholes, because I never intended to imply you're an asshole... am I actually apologizing for calling you an asshole

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Sexist old fucking dork. Continue making tired old dad music and stfu. You haven't made a single thing that will stand the test of time. Talentless fucking prick.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sexist old fucking dork. Continue making tired old dad music and stfu. You haven't made a single thing that will stand the test of time. Talentless fucking prick.

I mean... he's made quite a few things that have standed the test of time, both he and Taylor are really talented. I don't think you can call him sexist, he's helped prop up many artists, specially in the African community. What we can call him is a huge idiot for what he said, and also incredibly out of touch with modern pop-music. I reckon he'd say the same thing about any popular modern pop act.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I mean... he's made quite a few things that have standed the test of time, both he and Taylor are really talented. I don't think you can call him sexist, he's helped prop up many artists, specially in the African community. What we can call him is a huge idiot for what he said, and also incredibly out of touch with modern pop-music. I reckon he'd say the same thing about any popular modern pop act.
I dunno, maybe in his home country people respect his trash ass music, but he's a tryhard joke where I'm from. I dunno how liking African music makes you not sexist, but 🤷‍♀️

Star Wild eo

Jul 22, 2020
While all this is straight bullshit on Damon's part IMO, Taylor thrives on people hating on her and is probably hard at work writing new songs about this incident, so I can't be mad.

With that said, this will probably culminate in a Gorillaz f. Taylor track somewhere down the line.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he blamed clickbait as much as it he's saying it became clickbait, which yes because he said a stupid thing? He apologized so I feel like there's not much here

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as a Albarn fan, this quote from him doesn't surprise me at all. I highly believe that the last time he heard a Swift track was in 2008 at best lol. This is a man who lives in remote places like Iceland or the Congo. Man is a bit out of touch when it comes to pop stuff imo. His team probably mentioned the trending and he is going to take the L like a man cause God help you when you have Swifties bugging your management twitter account.

I want an article calling out Vectorman for shitting on Iceland saying it is a cultural backwater where no one could hear the latest Taylor Swift songs

Oct 27, 2017
Lol look it's a really stupid thing to say and he apologized. And yes Swift will ultimately be bigger than him career wise, but uhhh cmon on not having anything stand the test of time.

Song 2 is played by metal stations across the world (I know weird) and Alt, and Gorillaz have a number of songs that have stood the test of time for almost 2 decades

coffee & TV and Girls & Boys are absolute jams. It's a stupid thing he said and he rectified it. Like Taylor's music for him, his music doesn't have to be good to you and it will still stand the test of time with millions.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
He's should've had the foresight to expect the grief he gets for saying something like that. Should've known better, Damon.

Whoa there. Do you know Taylor personally or something?

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 month): inflammatory accusations/commentary
Pretty dumb comment, but I also think it's really dumb that Swift and some other pop stars always need to fight back every time someone says something dumb about them.
I heard that DanGo is a pedophile.

I'm going to post it on Twitter shortly. Don't write back to this, okay?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If I call you an asshole in the newspaper and then apologise unreservedly and unconditionally for the newspaper clickbaiting me and my nuanced discussion on assholes, because I never intended to imply you're an asshole... am I actually apologizing for calling you an asshole

I actually take it as 2 separate points:

1) I'm unreservedly and unconditionally sorry for shit talking your song writing
2) damn click bait titles made me look worse

The twitter character limits and mashing the two issues into one doesn't help his cause here, but an unreserved and unconditional apology for... Click bait titles? Doesn't make much sense.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
"You haven't made a single thing that will stand the test of time."

Looks at Feel Good Inc. and Clint Eastwood