• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

This is really funny because either he should probably demand a retraction from the LA Times for inventing quotes or he thinks saying she doesn't write her own songs isn't discrediting her songwriting.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of when Howard Stern would interview celebrities and bring up quotes from their own autobiography. And then they would say "I was taken out of context!"

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't get what the difference is between Billie Eilish co-writing songs with her brother, Taylor Swift co-writing songs with her producer(s), and Damon co-writing songs with Blur (Graham/Alex/Dave).

I like artists that write on their own too, but there is no right or wrong way to compose a song. A lot of my favorite songwriters ever have a songwriting partner (Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Garcia/Hunter, etc).

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what the difference is between Billie Eilish co-writing songs with her brother, Taylor Swift co-writing songs with her producer(s), and Damon co-writing songs with Blur (Graham/Alex/Dave).

I like artists that write on their own too, but there is no right or wrong way to compose a song.

He likes Eilish's music and doesn't like Swift's lol is probably the crux of that

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Someone edited his Wikipedia after this lol.

xxADpJY_d.webp

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Honestly as a Albarn fan, this quote from him doesn't surprise me at all. I highly believe that the last time he heard a Swift track was in 2008 at best lol. This is a man who lives in remote places like Iceland or the Congo. Man is a bit out of touch when it comes to pop stuff imo. His team probably mentioned the trending and he is going to take the L like a man cause God help you when you have Swifties bugging your management twitter account.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The circle-jerk about writing one's own songs I'll never get. I mean, I DO! It's amazing if you ARE a singer/songwriter; but some people out there might genuinely be better at writing than performing. while some singers are probably better at performing than writing. 🤷‍♀️ Everyone gets work and the world gets more good music.

Definitely calling out his quote too though. Her writing her stuff was always a part of her appeal I thought.

Last edited:

Ito007

May 6, 2021
But I mean… he says right there that she doesn't write her own songs. So is he saying LA Times is lying about what he said?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i don't understand how he can say it was clickbait. he said what he said. it's not like his answer to the followup question changes the original meaning of "she doesn't write her own songs."

"cowriting doesn't count" he plainly says lol

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as a Albarn fan, this quote from him doesn't surprise me at all. I highly believe that the last time he heard a Swift track was in 2008 at best lol. This is a man who lives in remote places like Iceland or the Congo. Man is a bit out of touch when it comes to pop stuff imo. His team probably mentioned the trending and he is going to take the L like a man cause God help you if you pissed off Taylor.

I mean I don't think he's talking it like a man, he's blaming "misquoted" and pretending he didn't call her not a songwriter lol

Strax

Oct 28, 2017

If I had to guess the difference is that Billie and/or her brother have written all the songs on her albums while Swift has multiple co-writers on every album. Also Blur is band while Taylor and Billie are solo artists.

This is a man who lives in remote places like Iceland or the Congo. Man is a bit out of touch when it comes to pop stuff imo.

Iceland isn't at all remote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i don't understand how he can say it was clickbait. he said what he said. it's not like his answer to the followup question changes the original meaning of "she doesn't write her own songs."

The follow up literally was a life line to get him out of what he said and instead he doubled down by pretending co writing is fake writing or some weird nonsense

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is like watching my children fight. Be nice! Let me love you both in peace.

EDIT: God damn, Damon says a lot of dumb shit in this interview. Far from the first time he's put his foot in his mouth, but this one is pretty rough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But I mean… he says right there that she doesn't write her own songs. So is he saying LA Times is lying about what he said?

Look when I called you an asshole and the times printed it that's clickbait I apologize it was never my intention to imply that you're an asshole when I said you're an asshole.

This is the funniest gymnastics I've seen lol.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
I mean I don't think he's talking it like a man, he's blaming "misquoted" and pretending he didn't call her not a songwriter lol

Oh I'm not defending Damon for his quotes at all lol. I'm just saying that this is why we are all here talking about it now. He brought it on himself the moment the journalist brought up Taylor's name and he should have merely dismissed whatever tangent they were going on. If anything he has previous history of not caring about Taylor's music in printed media before.

Dec 2, 2017
Cos If I was a man
They'd say I hustled
Put in the work
They wouldn't shake their heads and question how much of this I deserve

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Big Damon fan, but that's a big ooof. How hard is it not to mouth off when you don't know what you're talking about?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So Taylor is saying that those accusations don't.......feel good?

At least he seems contrite.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Gatekeeping as it's finest. Reminds me when people try to say rappers aren't muscians because they don't play an instrument

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
As talented as Albarn is, he's always been an arsehole- easily the least likeable member of Blur.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She may not be to your taste, but Taylor Swift is an excellent songwriter.
She doesn't write her own songs.
Of course she does. Co-writes some of them.
That doesn't count. I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing. I'm not hating on anybody, I'm just saying there's a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn't mean that the outcome can't be really great. And some of the greatest singers — I mean, Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life. When I sing, I have to close my eyes and just be in there. I suppose I'm a traditionalist in that sense. A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I'm more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It's just darker — less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she's exceptional.

Old dude doesn't like Swift's music, went with a reactionary "she doesn't write her own songs" response, and then tried to dig himself out of it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
She has an image to protect? I certainly believe she's wrote many but not every single one
So you think she's just lying and not giving proper credit?

I'm legitimately asking out of curiosity, why would you doubt her when she says she writes all her songs? Something about her must make you feel she's not actually doing it.

(this is me giving you a chance to not come across incredibly misogynistic)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If I had to guess the difference is that Billie and/or her brother have written all the songs on her albums while Swift has multiple co-writers on every album. Also Blur is band while Taylor and Billie are solo artists.

Damon collaborates with lots of artists on all his Gorillaz stuff, and even his "Solo" albums have just as many songwriters listed on them. See his 2021 solo album right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nearer_the_Fountain,_More_Pure_the_Stream_Flows

That right there is what leads me to believe maybe the questions/answers aren't written out in the article exactly as they were asked. Because his "take" here makes zero sense if those were really his words. He would be calling out himself too.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
does modern musician mean an average of ten people who are very famous? how can someone be in music and say something like that...? music is being made everywhere and more and more people are putting their original stuff out there, how can you say "name me one" confident that you will not be rebutted with hundreds and hundreds of names...?

this is boomer levels of thinking you know everything there is to know about your art but cannot spend the seconds to consider that you might be out of touch

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
She's written or co-written every song she's released, which is not different from Eilish. And Swift has an album with zero co-writers, which I don't believe Eilish does.

Which isn't putting down Eilish, just not agreeing that this was Damon's justification because it doesn't agree with the facts we have. Like said earlier: he just likes Eilish more, so he gives her more credit (but too much, has to give some to her brother).

Oct 25, 2017

"cowriting doesn't count" he plainly says lol
Its like why say something and then immediately backtrack? At least stand behind your opinion

Oct 27, 2017
So you think she's just lying and not giving proper credit?

I'm legitimately asking out of curiosity, why would you doubt her when she says she writes all her songs? Something about her must make you feel she's not actually doing it.

(this is me giving you a chance to not come across incredibly misogynistic)

I firmly believe most pop stars men or women have some form of help writing there songs at some point in there career

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
I love Damon but he is nuts if he thinks Billie Eilish's song writing abilities are better than Taytay's.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, maybe. You just don't usually see things like "I apologise unreservedly and unconditionally" very often.

But he's not actually apologizing for what he said he's apologizing for the LA Times supposedly clickbaiting his nuanced discussion about song writing lol despite him being on record saying that she doesn't write and co-writing isn't writing

Like he's not retracting anything he said he's just pretending his blatant words were represented of his intentions which is nonsense unless the quotes are fake

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, there's literally mountains of video of her sitting and working out songs in her process. Just google it/go to youtube. You could spend dozens of hours watching her sitting alone with her cats and working out melodies, chords, lyrics. There's documentary footage. There's other artists describing watching her process/working with her as co-writers -- and there's video of a lot of that too.

When she talks about it, she is so knowledgable, so passionate, so excited. I don't blame her for being pissed. She's a damn control freak/perfectionist. I don't even think she'd be capable of relinquishing that power to someone else completely on any sort of scale.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't know that Swift wrote her music.

I knew she wrote the lyrics but now I am a little more impressed by her.

The circle-jerk about writing one's own songs I'll never get. I mean, I DO! It's amazing if you ARE a singer/songwriter; but some people out there might genuinely be better at writing than performing. while some singers are probably better at performing than writing. 🤷‍♀️ Everyone gets work and the world gets more good music.

Definitely calling out his quote too though. Her writing her stuff was always a part of her appeal I thought.
The hardest part is creating the music. You can still be an amazing performer that can sell out arenas but it is less impressive if you are just focused on the music if they are just buying the beats or music from another producer and penning their own lyrics on top of it.