• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Beloved by all. Some want him. Some want to be him. Some, like me, want both. So when I noticed the super cool slang word "sommit," a distortion of "something," laden throughout fat4all's posts, I slowly picked it up and added it to my forum lexicon. Fine. Then, it slowly slipped into my texts. No harm, no foul.

But then.

Then, the other day, I noticed something. I said the word "sommit" out loud. How, you may ask?? I've never heard the word sommit, so how did I wind up saying it out loud? I swear it just happened. I pronounced it not "summit," but more abbreviated, almost like "somm't." I already have a pretty causal and meandering speaking style with a lot of weird quirks (despite being American, I often say "soorry" and "aboot" like a fake, cartoon Canadian), but sommit is a line too far.

edit: I've looked into it, and it has an urbandictionary entry. "sommat" is described as UK or Scottish English slang. I hate that I do this now.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
My lexicon has already been ruined by many words and phrases that I started using ironically and now use all the time, I've made my peace with it, can't relate, no bridge is too far now

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
"Sommit" was regularly used in the Professor Layton games.
oh neat

My lexicon has already been ruined by many words and phrases that I started using ironically and now use all the time, I've made my peace with it, can't relate, no bridge is too far now
I think I slowly did this with calling my suitemates "the boys" (though I guess I should start calling them flatmates now or sommit)

Is this the fat4all OT ?
god it fucking can be

this thread is probably crossing a line in terms of metacommentary with other users, but I hope he doesn't feel too disrespected. it's all in fun/my astonishment that I said a word I've never heard out loud

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

click it, I guess. gifv doesn't work for shit on this forum.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fun game:

YkLecyJ.png

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOMMET was used regularly where I grew up in the English midlands

D'YA WANT SOMMET TO EAT, M'DUCK?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i say sommit out loud as well

just crawled its way into my vocab

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
harry potter books were published worldwide around 15 years ago, somfink of a connection there methinks