• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP what happened to your teaching endeavor? If I'm thinking of the right person.

Depends where you want to live and what your qualifications are. You can write your own paycheck here to an extent, just depends on how many hours you're willing to put in. An unqualified teacher can make 30k RMB a month in cities like Beijing or Shanghai.
You are! Still thinking about it. I'm planning on working until I croak. Never retiring hopefully. So I have time lol.

The thing with teaching is the salary hit for now. In NYC there are some career programs, been investigating the best ones. They all vary in quality.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm actually having trouble looking for a new job (Graphic Designer) because everyone wants a designer that can:

Design
Illustrate
Model in 3D
Animate
Build Web Pages
Work In Print
Manage Social Media

It's insane, lol. I can do a lot of those, but the handful I can't have been disqualifying me from jobs.

vegohead

Oct 27, 2017
OP what happened to your teaching endeavor? If I'm thinking of the right person.

Depends where you want to live and what your qualifications are. You can write your own paycheck here to an extent, just depends on how many hours you're willing to put in. An unqualified teacher can make 30k RMB a month in cities like Beijing or Shanghai.

Jeez, that's way more than i thought. That's like 70-80K in the US after taxes.

Oct 25, 2017
In QA in the tech side but have had a ton of call screens, a few tech screens, and a coupl full interview panels since September.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm a Technical Project Manager specializing in web and app development and it's hotter than I've ever experienced. I get 3-4 inquiries from recruiters a week and, after staying in the same position/job for four years, I was able to increase my salary by $20K at the beginning of last year, and then another $40K last month. Just today, two recruiters hit me up to buy me lunch. I'm happy with my latest jump, though, so I'm gonna stay put for a while.

I know a recession is inevitable, but I'm hoping we won't backslide too much, because I've never felt so empowered with opportunities.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone trying to teach in China (English), do you mind providing the general glass ceiling wage that exists there?
Depends where to teach. But don't accept an offer below 10,000 rmb plus free or subsidized housing(the huge cities like Beijing or Shanghai don't accept less than 20k + housing) I was making 11,500 for 10 hours a week plus housing at a university. But like I said there's no upward mobility. You're stuck as a teacher till the day you die or get kicked out. It doesn't matter how good of a teacher you are. They don't reward hard work at all.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Jeez, that's way more than i thought. That's like 70-80K in the US after taxes.

Keep in mind that's the salary equivalent of living/working in NYC, but my point still stands. Feel free to pm me, there's a teaching abroad thread somewhere but it never took off like the old one.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually having trouble looking for a new job (Graphic Designer) because everyone wants a designer that can:

Design
Illustrate
Model in 3D
Animate
Build Web Pages
Work In Print
Manage Social Media

It's insane, lol. I can do a lot of those, but the handful I can't have been disqualifying me from jobs.
It's a good way to assess your skills and learn new things to make your more competitive on the job market.

I'm surprise many people don't network on this site. You can always exchange contact info via PM. Seems like a lot of common industries here.

I use to help a lot in the job seeker thread back on GAF. I know there's one here, but I don't really go to the ERA one much.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
In Houston, can confirm.

I was even getting recruiters hitting me up the week before Christmas, even the Friday before at 3pm .Usually this time is D. E. A. D. If your looking for a job, everyone is on vacation, but especially hiring managers. Had two recruiters hit me up literally Jan 2nd as well.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to know. Depending how my performance review goes next week and if they are going to promote me I may be back on the market. Been there 3 years since college and my pay has barely changed.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Depending on field LinkedIn can be even more important because of recruiters.
Definitely 100% get a LinkedIn if you don't have one. And don't blow off recruiters if your looking. I was thinking about this the other day and I can't think of a single position I've gotten from simply applying on a website or job board. Every job I've gotten has been via recruiters.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I need to study my technical interviews here shortly for finding a new developer position... but Kingdom Hearts 3 is about to come out.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
In DC there's a glut of highly talented and educated workers not working right now...

notachoice

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on your field. I've been looking for two months and haven't had any luck. And I'm in a major city.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to hire people since April of last year. I must have interviewed 30-40 people now. Just can't find anyone qualified.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except for me. I am stuck at my current job
giphy.gif

Baby Jesus, Buddah, Allah, Spaghetti monster, etc, please help me.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I was in a position to take advantage of it, but I basically only have a high school education. Seems like a lot of places are hiring but they all require education and a lot of experience. Nothing I'm qualified over $12 an hour or so.

Clair Vaux Bernardus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Wish I was in a position to take advantage of it, but I basically only have a high school education. Seems like a lot of places are hiring but they all require education and a lot of experience. Nothing I'm qualified over $12 an hour or so.

At least you have no debt (I'm assuming, sorry if I'm wrong). I make less now than I did before I went to University. I probably should have just stayed working in retail.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
The market is insanity for cyber security professionals right now. Staff level positions 70k+ and senior positions 100-130k with bonuses. Some of the DFIR companies offer bonuses of 10-15% your annual salary every quarter just to stay competitive. They can't get enough good people either, there is a huge market shortage. I'm telling you all, if you're in IT and want to cash in, security is where it's at.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Except for me. I am stuck at my current job
giphy.gif

Baby Jesus, Buddah, Allah, Spaghetti monster, etc, please help me.
I've been following your threads and a have crazy memory lol. You've been making moves, though. At least in the skill development front. Why do you feel you are stuck?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Most of those are retail, but that's what you get. We have a Costco here I've been thinking about applying for again, but last time they offered me a position all they could do was part time temporary, but I just couldn't justify losing my current hours/benefits (full time, insurance, etc) and risk not being retained after the temp period was up.

At least you have no debt (I'm assuming, sorry if I'm wrong). I make less now than I did before I went to University. I probably should have just stayed working in retail.

Yeah, no debt fortunately. I'm actually not in a bad place financially, but I want to do better. It's not even only about the money, I want to get out of the entry-level no-skill grind and get a more fulfilling job.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If anyone here is a tech writer and comfortable around code, feel free to hit me up in PMs. Finding experienced writers in the Bay Area is a challenge.

Also, echoing LI for those looking. I've got a steady flow of recruiters. Even had some cold calls lately. If you're looking and don't have an updated profile on LI you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah shit is crazy. Just got a new job and I got a nearly 100% increase in my salary. I gave my notice a few days ago to my current job and they've really been fighting to keep me. They've even offered me a nearly 50% increase to my current salary. I'm not going to take it, but it's still is crazy to see.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know at my company we're really short, even on junior people. Over 150 open computer science/engineering positions

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone here is a tech writer and comfortable around code, feel free to hit me up in PMs. Finding experienced writers in the Bay Area is a challenge.
I know a good tech writer with those qualification, but she's eating at Google lol. She's not leaving there anytime soon lol.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been following your threads and a have crazy memory lol. You've been making moves, though. At least in the skill development front. Why do you feel you are stuck?
I fucking suck at job interviews. I freeze up. That's my take on it, at least. My problem is that I should have started the interviews a year ago, when I wasn't so desperate. On the plus side, I will never get seduced by another company again, never. Loyalty doesn't exist. Every man for himself. For now, I'm just trying to stay as cool and classy as Obama. Serenity now!

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, especially in Japan with the aging population I feel like it's a gold mine for job transfers.
I am extremely happy where I am now, but I still get hit up on Linkedin fairly often by HR people from other game companies.

One big drawback here is that a lot of banks and loan officers still tend to put a huge emphasis on how long you have worked for your current employer.
Still very old-fashioned in that sense.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking suck at job interviews. I freeze up. That's my take on it, at least. My problem is that I should have started the interviews a year ago, when I wasn't so desperate. On the plus side, I will never get seduced by another company again, never. Loyalty doesn't exist. Every man for himself. For now, I'm just trying to stay as cool and classy as Obama. Serenity now!
You can get better at interview, like anything else. Toastmasters is a great resource for public speaking and presentation skills.

There are also job centers in most cities that can offer coaching and videotaping services.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I recognize your avatar and your posts so I just wanted to wish you luck. From what I recall, you made a lot of moves throughout your journey and I am confident you will make the next one to get you in a happier state.

Clair Vaux Bernardus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah, no debt fortunately. I'm actually not in a bad place financially, but I want to do better. It's not even only about the money, I want to get out of the entry-level no-skill grind and get a more fulfilling job.

At this point I'd just like something full-time again lol. Prior to going to college I made 25k a year which wasn't much but at least the hours were relatively stable and I had days off compared to juggling multiple part-time jobs for $8 an hour.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm new at my position but I look forward to moving up and applying for more jobs slightly out of my qualifications. There's money to be made.