• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky that Bleach had filler arcs, instead of using the One Piece method of adapting one chapter or less per episode. I can't even imagine what that would look like.

Bleach filler arcs had some awesome fights, at least, particularly the one with the zanpakuto spirits (oddly, the best fight didn't involve them) and the one with the clones.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still take bleach filler arcs over one piece or naruto shippuuden filler any day.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I never minded with bleach because the filler is okay. I'm rewatching and I'll just watch bount arc and the likes. It was way worse with Naruto.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Bleach's filler arcs lmao (didn't watch the Shusuke Amagai arc though), the last two sets of fillers especially.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the filler arcs are now revered when they were generally unliked during their original run. I suppose that really speaks to how shitty the canon stuff got later on.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how the filler arcs are now revered when they were generally unliked during their original run. I suppose that really speaks to how shitty the canon stuff got later on.
The comparison to filler arcs in Naruto got them revered really quickly. Naruto had shitty five minute filler arcs with stuff like Tony the tiger or run fast man. Bleach managed to have fillers that felt like complete stories - meaning as well that they had filler less frequently - and they kept small elements around afterwards.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The Bount arc is still the worst arc in Bleach, but the fact the later arcs weren't really up to the quality of the first two made the filler look less-bad by comparison.

Like even if you watched it out-of-order so that it wasn't happening directly after the best parts of Bleach, I'm pretty sure the Bount Arc would still be awful.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I do like in a way how the other soul reapers get significant screen time though. If it was Shonen from the 80s and 90s they would just be on the sidelines watching ichigo fight.
To bad it has the complete opposite problem because there's way too many fights that are irrelevant and just exist to bloat the arc

They're not necessarily terrible but they fuck up the pacing and cause shit to drag and there's still no fight for Chad but random lieutenant that's fucking irrelevant to the overall story gets a filler fight

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
The interesting thing is how some elements from the Zanpakto Rebellion filler arc made it into canon. i can't think of that happening in Naruto (maybe in One Piece?)

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing is how some elements from the Zanpakto Rebellion filler arc made it into canon. i can't think of that happening in Naruto (maybe in One Piece?)
The bounts became sort of characters as well

One Piece also had the straw hats forget they met a dragon in a expansive filler arc irrc because in canon they never did meet one

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
The bounts became sort of characters as well

One Piece also had the straw hats forget they met a dragon in a expansive filler arc irrc because in canon they never did meet one

Was this mentioned in the manga itself though? That's what I meant. I don't recall Bount characters in the manga (but it's been a while).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Was this mentioned in the manga itself though? That's what I meant. I don't recall Bount characters in the manga (but it's been a while).
Oh you mean manga canon
One piece technically has filler shit particularly movie and movie prequels that has characters and their backstory that are canon but the actual filler plot isn't

My hero has a filler episode that i guess its canon because it's a prequel to a movie that's canon also a episode about froppy that's canon

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The zanpakuto filler was actually good though. None of them were as bad as Naruto filler, if I had known as a kid how long that would have lasted I would have bailed.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Manga Bleach was the complete opposite of One Piece. Anime too.

Manga Bleach: Pacing is shit and slow, panels are wasted a lot so nothing happens or is only fighting
Anime Bleach: Pacing is great for canon stuff, but then they have to do lot of fillers to have another 10 canon episodes because Manga pacing is shit
Manga One Piece: Chapters are loaded with content and sometimes a bit too much text (imo)
Anime One Piece: Pacing sucks because they often do less than one chapter per episode, almost no only filler episodes

Ugh.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
There are two options, make filler or drag it out. Bleach went with filler. One Piece went with drag it out. Naruto said why not both?

Catch is, Bleach was already terribly paced in the Manga

OP
OP
JuicyPlayer

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I imagine watching this show once a week was torture for Japan viewers and anyone that watched it on Adult Swim every Saturday.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Bleach was the first series I remember the filler being so obvious and plentiful that I looked up a list to be able to skip it all. And it still dragged enough I gave up after Aizen.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Halfway through the Bount Arc - just done episode 85 - and I'm still liking the Bount arc. I like that it is a bit more mystery. Just need to see when they get to the assault part because I think I dropped off there originally.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Manga Bleach was the complete opposite of One Piece. Anime too.

Manga Bleach: Pacing is shit and slow, panels are wasted a lot so nothing happens or is only fighting
Anime Bleach: Pacing is great for canon stuff, but then they have to do lot of fillers to have another 10 canon episodes because Manga pacing is shit
Manga One Piece: Chapters are loaded with content and sometimes a bit too much text (imo)
Anime One Piece: Pacing sucks because they often do less than one chapter per episode, almost no only filler episodes

Ugh.
I still remember the routine of weekly Big 3 readings.
Start with Bleach because that's a 10 seconds read, keep up with Naruto and finish with One Piece for the good stuff.
the last arc of Bleach is literally the worst shit I've ever read in a manga.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
One reason why I never really understood people's gripes with filler in Bleach was that some of the main drawbacks of filler could usually be applied to the canon material anyway.

Like, a filler arc in an anime basically has to end with the same status quo that it started with in order for there to not be any contradictions between the anime and manga once the filler is over. That's a constraint that can really reduce the tension of an arc when you're aware that there are no real stakes. But the bulk of Bleach was just wheel-spinning anyway. Kubo refused to kill virtually anyone, and so many character plots were abandoned at one point or another. It felt like Ichigo had to forget some of his previous character development just so that he could re-learn it again in a few different places where the story required it. I skipped the fullbringer arc and felt that I missed literally nothing of consequence, for example; the story flows fine without it.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it does. Was the reason I stopped watching it and never went back. I heard there are good arcs from where I left (Bount), but never had the desire to return.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard, some of the filler in Bleach is legitimately better than the canon material. Which isn't that hard, mind.

Honestly, I find griping about filler to be a bit overblown, especially considering Bleach and how the second half of Naruto turned out. For good manga, sure, filler is annoying.

I still remember the routine of weekly Big 3 readings.
Start with Bleach because that's a 10 seconds read, keep up with Naruto and finish with One Piece for the good stuff.
the last arc of Bleach is literally the worst shit I've ever read in a manga.

Read Air Gear. Even the end of Bleach will seem better by comparison.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That means you read nothing.

Nah Bleach's chapters are just that devoid of content.
Read Air Gear. Even the end of Bleach will seem better by comparison.
Nah Air Gear runs on rule of cool.
It's literally just rule of cool and there's at least payoff for even bad characters.
Bleach is stupid asspulls after stupid asspulls and it's not even able to give a decent fight to the main antagonist.
Air Gear had that at least.
It's stupid nonsensical BS but at least the author managed to use its main character decently.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new captain shūsuke amagai arc is probably the most shittiest arc i've ever experienced, ill watch any of the other shonen filler arc ten times over than that garbage. Had to take a long break away from bleach after that.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Always use a filler guide for any anime, try watching Naruto without one lol

I first started watching Naruto when they were fighting with Pain. I watched the entire Naruto + Naruto Shippuden up until that point. Then, watched every single espisode until the last one.

So I can say I have watched every single episode of Naruto series.

With that said, I haven't watched Boruto fully. I stopped at episode 40+.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The new captain shūsuke amagai arc is probably the most shittiest arc i've ever experienced, ill watch any of the other shonen filler arc ten times over than that garbage. Had to take a long break away from bleach after that.
So you include Tony the tiger from Naruto in that statement?

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bleach in general is so slow and boring. Takes way too long for nothing to happen and then you get asspull powers or twists.

Cool looking people doing nothing.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, you should watch the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc. It was supposed to be in the manga, but Kubo never found a place for it in the story. That's why everyone is saying it doesn't "feel" like filler.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean I'd rather get filler that I can skip over rather than get dragged out canon episodes.

This is why the One Piece anime became unwatchable to me and I can't introduce OP to anyone that would be willing to watch anime but don't read manga.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember suffering through the awful bount arc for what felt like an eternity, but at least I had the manga to look forward to back then. I really miss Bleach, especially the weekly manga leaks and all the crazy theories people would come up with.

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people watch fillers? Use a guide and skip it. When I re-watched, the show aged even better without all the filler. I plan on re-watching Naruto soon too, and I'll be using a guide too.