• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AI Generative Art is

• Black magic

Votes: 110 18.7%
  • Nightmarefuel

Votes: 154 26.1%
  • Pretty fucking impressive

Votes: 217 36.8%
  • Overblown

Votes: 52 8.8%
  • Merely the beginning

Votes: 271 46.0%
  • Just a computer doing computer stuff

Votes: 114 19.4%
  • THOR-E: The Generative World

Votes: 95 16.1%

• Total voters

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I was disappointed at the results I got for a $30 italian meal on it. the AI needs to do some more learning

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
nPpDBn6.png

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work? Is it actually attempting to draw a fresh image or taking elements of images from a Google search and mish mashing them together at random? I'm kind of tempted to say the latter by the amount of noise it generates, but the results are so far off the actual image sometimes I'm also thinking the former. I just don't get why it would generate so much noise if it was doing the former

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So how does this work? Is it actually attempting to draw a fresh image or taking elements of images from a Google search and mish mashing them together at random? I'm kind of tempted to say the latter by the amount of noise it generates

Assuming it uses the same foundations as it's namesake model, dall-e, it's creating them entirely from scratch.

EDIT: Just looked into it. It is based on the original dall-e, so it is creating them from scratch. Here's more details: https://wandb.ai/dalle-mini/dalle-m...images-from-any-text-prompt--VmlldzoyMDE4NDAy

Last edited:

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
OMG, the things you guys have it make up is giving me life. I need to try it once I can get to a laptop, don't know how good this is on mobile.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
i can't get this to actually spit something out. keeps erroring out

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
the-garden-of-eden-with-a-flying-saucer.jpg

The traffic error issues are real, I can see there's lots of comments on the site too.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the same tech or different from the actual Dall-E AI project?

Because the examples I've seen out of "real" Dall-E absolutely crush what I'm seeing from dall-e mini, which has been pretty bad so far:

openai.com

DALL·E 2

DALL·E 2 is an AI system that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
sketch-1654707730745agkpw.png

not much more advanced than NeuralBlender imo, but very fun to experiment with this stuff again. some stuff almost makes me physically ill because its so disturbing and "wrong"... how nightmarish can the stuff we post be? i wanna test the limits lol.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the same tech or different from the actual Dall-E AI project?

Because the examples I've seen out of "real" Dall-E absolutely crush what I'm seeing from dall-e mini, which has been pretty bad so far:

openai.com

DALL·E 2

DALL·E 2 is an AI system that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language.

Dall-E mini is based on Dall-E 1, not Dall-E 2.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it uses the same foundations as it's namesake model, dall-e, it's creating them entirely from scratch.

EDIT: Just looked into it. It is based on the original dall-e, so it is creating them from scratch. Here's more details: https://wandb.ai/dalle-mini/dalle-m...images-from-any-text-prompt--VmlldzoyMDE4NDAy
Ahh that's pretty interesting. Still weird to me that it generates so much noise in its images versus deep fakes but I guess this would be partially that deep fakes had more time to mature and I guess this has less direct instruction to assist it.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Screenshot-20220608-140533.png
(nsfw)
Screenshot-20220608-135215.png
Screenshot-20220608-135549.png
Screenshot-20220608-135845.png
Screenshot-20220608-140057.png

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
The results are actually... not great at all. They look exactly like the other random free AI art generators I've tried, and full of just as much visual gibberish. Unless you give it a very simple prompt, or a prompt with very common elements, it's not going to give you anything worth saving.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
PSA: f the servers keep dying, it is possible to run this locally provided you're familiar with using the terminal and you have a beefy PC. There's also an option for running your own cloud servers via Google or Amazon so you're not hitting the same machines as everyone else trying to use the app.

github.com

GitHub - saharmor/dalle-playground: A playground to generate images from any text prompt using Stable Diffusion (past: using DALL-E Mini)

A playground to generate images from any text prompt using Stable Diffusion (past: using DALL-E Mini) - saharmor/dalle-playground

I got it up and running pretty easily on an M1 Macbook following the local development instructions, but there's no GPU acceleration on that platform yet so it takes forever even without using the hi-res training data. Getting it working on Windows seems to require building a library from source and ain't nobody got time for that, but the Docker instructions seem to work fine there too. The output always seems to be 256x256px though sadly.