• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
George Lucas for all his faults I think always has a theme or arc in mind, probably why the prequels last movie sticks the landing.

I really liked The Last Jedi, and I was laughing my ass off with Rise of Skywalker because of how many silly decisions it made.
Some stuff in ROTS go back to ideas Lucas had since the OT, it's the 1st two movies where Lucas was kind of bullshitting around. Phantom Menace especially needed to be reworked into something else, ROTS had to do too much of the heavy lifting. Like really think about it, we only saw the very start and the very of the Clone Wars, skipping over the entire meat and potatoes of the event, that's crazy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The stories are all planned out.
😂

Yea bro they totally started Homecoming with a plan to end the trilogy with a multiverse and several returning actors from previous spiderman movies. And Thor was definitely originally a comic relief character. And Black Panther was definitely not the direct end result of the creative team behind it. Nah that shit was planned because Feige is omnipotent.

Y'all must be watching different movies. Even without behind the scenes knowledge it's pretty obvious they plan things out.
No....they don't. That's not how filmmaking works.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The reception from TLJ still seem to have influenced it a lot, pretty much every complain from the fanboys was addressed, including giving Kelly Marie-Tran almost no screen time.
Possibly, but your post read like that they didn't want to have Colin continue VIII's story so they got rid of him. If not then that's my mistake.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Or start Episode X with Rey waking up and saying "Woah, that was one weird dream".

She realized her grandpa is the ancient sith master and fell in love with a barely redeemed Kylo who dies after her first kiss.

Episode X:

Ohai Darth Rey

200.gif

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You know, we have the collective power to redefine reality.

Instead of using it to redefine the prequels as being not bad for the sake of memes, we could use it to just wish Rise of the Skywalker out of existence.

Join me. From today forward, when discussing Star Wars just completely omit any details relating to Rise of the Skywalker. Do not bring it up. Completely ignore it. Rey is a nobody. I don't know where you got the idea she's related to Palpatine, that's ridiculous; he's long dead by that point in the series!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
😂

No....they don't. That's not how filmmaking works.
For them it is. There's a reason it's called "Marvel Studios". They have teams of people working on these things. (I would know, I work in the industry)

If you don't believe me that's okay, you can just hear it from Feige himself. Read the first sentence in this article.

apnews.com

Marvel closes a decade-long story with 'Avengers: Endgame'

LOS ANGELES (AP) — About five years ago, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige found himself on a retreat in Palm Springs plotting the future for the wild, experimental "cinematic universe" that he...

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I still like all the Star Wars movies — the least of which being Episode II — and I think I just take this shit less seriously than much of the internet. Like, the OT is my favorite series of movies, ever, but at the same time, SW is just fun action-adventure stuff and I don't put too much weight on its overall story. Maybe I'm just old and cynical, or something.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The reception from TLJ still seem to have influenced it a lot, pretty much every complain from the fanboys was addressed, including giving Kelly Marie-Tran almost no screen time.
Considering that the overwhelming majority of TLJ's reception was positive. This was all pure coincidence because of shitty decisions made by two out of touch writers who didn't know how to properly follow through on

"The new generation of characters is now prepared to take on the new generation of villains in one final climactic confrontation."

For them it is. There's a reason it's called "Marvel Studios". They have teams of people working on these things. (I would know, I work in the industry)

If you don't believe me that's okay, you can just hear it from Feige himself. Read the first sentence in this article.
"We are gonna end this current saga of films at movie X"=/= "All of these scripts were meticulously planned out and we had an incredibly tight storyline roadmap that all directors had to follow."

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Rian Johnson really broke JJ's brain with his choices, didn't he? I like a lot of elements of TLJ, but Rey Nobody and the democratization of the force were my favorites.

Sigh, what could have been...
I first suspected something might go awry with the movie when JJ said the thing he liked about TLJ was that "it zigged when you expected it to zag" or something like that. Which is the same "sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS" shit that's been parroted around the Internet for three years that totally misses the point.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Y'all must be watching different movies. Even without behind the scenes knowledge it's pretty obvious they plan things out.
Hell we're just talking about a single main character here. I guess I'd buy that JJ & his mystery box fetish didn't lead to any planning but it seems pretty basic from a storytelling standpoint to have a backstory and ideal through line for your main character for the project you consciously want to be in three parts at least.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yea bro they totally started Homecoming with a plan to end the trilogy with a multiverse and several returning actors from previous spiderman movies. And Thor was definitely originally a comic relief character. And Black Panther was definitely not the direct end result of the creative team behind it. Nah that shit was planned because Feige is omnipotent.
Of course they don't have 22 films and a decade of content done beforehand. But they plot out ahead far enough that they know where they're going, which is still a roadmap. They go a phase at a time, but the seeds for future phases are still planted early. They knew Thanos would be the penultimate bad guy for this saga pretty early on. That's planning.

There's a reason Kevin is moving to Star Wars.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK they did, Colin Trevorrow was supposed to direct Episode IX and there's a leaked script out there from his version that shows it was directly following the ideas from Episode VIII.
I think Disney didn't like the reception of Episode VIII and just decided to redo the whole thing.
Trevorrow was sacked and Abrams was brought back months before TLJ released, so something was going on even before the fan backlash to TLJ happened.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
Not having things planned out is not a crime in and of itself. Many movies, franchises and characters develop organically over time and from one movie to the next. It's all part of the creative process. Heck, Leia wasn't even Luke's sister until ROTJ. People are just upset in this case because Rey didn't develop into what they wanted her to.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The stories are all planned out. Kevin Feige has talked about this at length. They have entire creative retreats where they plan out the next 5 years of films, what storylines they're going to tackle, and how it all ties into each other.

You don't get MCU without a carefully planned roadmap.
Look at Ragnarok and then Infinity War to see how "planned" things are.

Age of Ultron sets up that the next Thor film would be Ragnarok but then Taika Waititi comes along and completely changes the tone, Thor becomes a new character, he losses and eye and his hammer. Next film? He gets his eye and hammer back and Chris Hemsworth had to talk to the writers of the film so they would write Thor with his new personality.

All of that happened as they were writing the films, they weren't planned out 5 years before.

The film release schedules are planned out but what the actual movies will be about aren't planned out 5 years before either.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they don't have 22 films and a decade of content done beforehand. But they plot out ahead far enough that they know where they're going, which is still a roadmap. They go a phase at a time, but the seeds for future phases are still planted early. They knew Thanos would be the penultimate bad guy for this saga pretty early on. That's planning.

There's a reason Kevin is moving to Star Wars.
A one and done film is not really moving to Star Wars like you may think it is.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
That doesn't make sense that she was no one in the first movie. They implied a backstory throughout the first movie. JJ then had to explain the backstory he started in the 3rd movie.
So yeah I think she is just misremembering.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Rey Palpatine could have been really cool if executed the right way and if it were actually planned from the start.

Original star wars ending with a skywalker killing a Palpatine, new star wars ending with a skywalker saving a Palpatine.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
well shit better not plan anything out then

just make it all improv
That tends to be how most long form stories get made yes. It's difficult enough to write the story as is, like say, a single season of a tv show, let alone planning out anything but maybe huge events like the red wedding and brainstorming how to properly get to that point if it doesn't get cut altogether as the story evolves.

Of course they don't have 22 films and a decade of content done beforehand. But they plot out ahead far enough that they know where they're going, which is still a roadmap.
Each film is written on the fly. Exactly like SW films my dude.

That doesn't make sense that she was no one in the first movie. They implied a backstory throughout the first movie. JJ then had to explain the backstory he started in the 3rd movie.
So yeah I think she is just misremembering.
JJ didn't have a backstory for Rey in the first movie. Just hints that a backstory existed, one that could be taken in any direction that fit the story being told. That's his approach to mysteries, is that he comes up with a mystery and doesn't provide an explicit answer.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They also had people riding horse things attacking a star destroyer.

Whiney fans have a lot to answer for... but sometimes you are just bad at making movies.
They have Luke say "I was wrong" I mean he was wrong to give up, but does he need to speak to the audience and say it? We already saw him achieve peace in TLJ. ROS directly speaks to people who hated TLJ, same with the scene where they mention the rules of the Holdo manuever and why they can't pull it off again. There were so many other things the movie could have focused on.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that the overwhelming majority of TLJ's reception was positive. This was all pure coincidence because of shitty decisions made by two out of touch writers who didn't know how to properly follow through on

"The new generation of characters is now prepared to take on the new generation of villains in one final climactic confrontation."

"We are gonna end this current saga of films at movie X"=/= "All of these scripts were meticulously planned out and we had an incredibly tight storyline roadmap that all directors had to follow."
Scripts are planned out ahead of time. That's why they have a pitch phase. Before pen even gets out to paper they know what they're going to write about. I mean come on dude it ain't rocket science, a roadmap doesn't have to be every detail of everything, it's a broad general understanding of where you're going. And it's something the MCU does very well.
Hell we're just talking about a single main character here. I guess I'd buy that JJ & his mystery box fetish didn't lead to any planning but it seems pretty basic from a storytelling standpoint to have a backstory and ideal through line for your main character for the project you consciously want to be in three parts at least.
It seems that JJ did have a general idea where he wanted to go, but due to some fan backlash and whatnot Disney decided to go in another direction. Doubt he'd ever say it but the writing is on the wall.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
well shit better not plan anything out then

just make it all improv
That works pretty well though for plenty of series. Be it stuff like the MCU going with the flow and fan response or someone like Chloe Zhao directing movies with lots of non-professional actors in loosely scripted scenes. Sometimes thing are just turn our bad.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

apnews.com

Marvel closes a decade-long story with 'Avengers: Endgame'

LOS ANGELES (AP) — About five years ago, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige found himself on a retreat in Palm Springs plotting the future for the wild, experimental "cinematic universe" that he...
There's a difference between planning out some of the broad strokes — like Thanos killing half of the universe or Tony Stark dying — and meticulously plotting out several movies worth of stories. There's a million things between these movies that don't gel together and have been walked back or handwaved or retconned, even just recently - like Thor's missing eye or taking on the role as king of Asgard being undone, or Thanos taking up the gauntlet in Age of Ultron which the writers of Infinity War ignored and flat out said they didn't know what that was.

Not that any of this is a big deal. But the movies just aren't *that* mapped out in advance. There's a ton of evidence within the movies themselves to the contrary.

And it's called Marvel Studios because it's...Marvel's film production studio lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Scripts are planned out ahead of time. That's why they have a pitch phase. Before pen even gets out to paper they know what they're going to write about.
We literally have directors talking about changes they had to make as a direct result of not knowing the specifics of changes made to other film characters based on the reception of previous movies. Civil War wasn't written with intimate knowledge of what Ryan Coogler would do with Black Panther. Infinity War wasn't made with explicit knowledge of the fact that Thor changed genres due to a middling second film. Guardians wasn't written with the explicit knowledge of what the characters would do in Infinity War. That shit's all written on the fly. What makes it all work is that these people communicate with each other so that at the best of times, no one is contradicting each other, or rather, that any contradictions are outright ignored by the general audience who didn't get their screenwriting degree from reddit.

There's a difference between planning out some of the broad strokes — like Thanos killing half of the universe or Tony Stark dying — and meticulously plotting out several movies worth of stories. There's a million things between these movies that don't gel together and have been walked back or handwaved or retconned, even just recently - like Thor's missing eye or taking on the role as king of Asgard being undone, or Thanos taking up the gauntlet in Age of Ultron which the writers of Infinity War ignored and flat out said they didn't know what that was.

Not that any of this is a big deal. But the movies just aren't *that* mapped out in advance. There's a ton of evidence within the movies themselves to the contrary.

And it's called Marvel Studios because it's...Marvel's film production studio lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Rey Palpatine could have been really cool if executed the right way and if it were actually planned from the start.

Original star wars ending with a skywalker killing a Palpatine, new star wars ending with a skywalker saving a Palpatine.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.
I don't think having the hero related to the villian again is a good premise for the sequel trilogy. It makes the universe feel smaller. Even if the exection was better, it's not a good idea in my opinion.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Civil War wasn't initially planned and written to include Spidey until Feige walked into the room with the writers, did Spiderman's signature web shooter hands, and walked out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, as it pertains to Star Wars, the issue isn't planning or lack thereof. Clearly the plan all along was that Rey was a nobody. This was true for apparently the first two films and the original third film. So there was actually a plan! But that doesn't amount to a lot if JJ is going to toss out that plan at the last minute.

Laying down a plan doesn't mean the director is obligated to follow it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like TLJ but confirming that Rey was a nobody was easily the best choice
There's a lot I didn't like about TLJ. Luke being tired and Rey being nobody weren't some of them. I loved those aspects. Episode 9 took everything I liked about TLJ and fucked it up, then took everything I didn't like about TLJ and made it worse

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Retconning this is one of the most disappointing changes in RoS. Great job sabotaging an original and worthwhile twist on Star Wars' themes of destiny, lineage, and legacy.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Civil War wasn't initially planned and written to include Spidey until Feige walked into the room with the writers, did Spiderman's signature web shooter hands, and walked out.
I love Civil War but Spider Man did feel tacked on in that movie. He just shows up for a few scenes in the middle and gets an advert for his own film after the credits.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Gonna guess they make sure they have a general idea of Start, Middle, End next time.

Yes, I'm sure the hundreds of millions in net profit from every one of the sequel trilogy movies have finally taught them a bitter lesson. The next trilogy will surely not make everything up as it goes like they've been successfully doing for the past four decades.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I personally really like TLJ but I never felt that Rey Nobody was even one of the big sticking point for people who didn't like the movie? It was such a weird thing to retcon and they did it in the worst way possible.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel was supposed to be at the end of Age of Ultron.

There are millions of different stories directors have brought up about stuff that was gonna happen that then didn't end up happening that would've completely changed the current MCU.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I thought she was Rey Allthejedi-Palpatine? Or was I not paying attention during the film?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Who thought it was a good idea to just completely ignore the prior movies for the final one especially when those two movies were extremely well received outside of like incels or other terrible internet people. It's like if the MCU supplanted Thanos after 10 years of buildup. Just follow through, it's easy.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Look at Ragnarok and then Infinity War to see how "planned" things are.

Age of Ultron sets up that the next Thor film would be Ragnarok but then Taika Waititi comes along and completely changes the tone, Thor becomes a new character, he losses and eye and his hammer. Next film? He gets his eye and hammer back and Chris Hemsworth had to talk to the writers of the film so they would write Thor with his new personality.

All of that happened as they were writing the films, they weren't planned out 5 years before.

The film release schedules are planned out but what the actual movies will be about aren't planned out 5 years before either.
Just because Taika changed the tone of the film doesnt mean he changed the content/plot of the film. The changes Thor goes through are the same whether he does it humorously or not.

And to your second point, they are. The link I provided literally quotes Kevin Feige saying such lol
A one and done film is not really moving to Star Wars like you may think it is.
Highly doubtful that Kevin Feige, one of the most prolific producers of all time, is going to only do one Star Wars film. You don't invite a guy like that into your universe for one film.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
To say Feige would treat this the same way Abrams did is disingenuous; Feige is consistent and this coming from someone who doesn't even care that much for MCU films.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is more confusing to me than Disney not planning out the sequel trilogy seemingly at all. Like, they were literally in the middle of somehow making sure the MCU had a coherent plan and direction across 20+ movies, directors, etc, etc. Meanwhile they couldn't even come up with a singular backstory for the main character of their new Star Wars trilogy.