• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
If I was at a party and some random stranger came up to me and said they didn't like one of my games, I'd consider it rude. Not death threat rude, of course, but there's a way to be a decent person and I think people are losing sight of that thanks to the Internet. The polite thing to do in that situation is to give them a brief compliment if you enjoy some aspect of their work (emphasis on brief - they're not here for you to gush over them) or do absolutely nothing at all and just treat them like a normal person who you met in a social gathering.

Yep, I agree with this, and this is what I follow. Politeness/rudeness is dependent on social context and values, but this is how I was raised.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
5xhxo9s.png

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I was doing perfectly fine just reading the thread and following the discussion... (btw yes, it's rude. no it's not constructive criticism, that's driveby shitposting irl, and why tf should anyone care about your honest opinions/feelings unsolicited when they don't even know you)

But then someone just has to enlighten me with the wondrous cuck ball.
Thanks, now I'd probably spend the rest of my office hours trying to unfuck my mind from the sheer wtfness of it.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So a friend of a friend mentions not liking the 2nd movie and she is bothered and considers it a hurtful opinion? Unless the friend gave an unsolicited critique of daisy's performance specifically what does she care?
Hey I know I don't know you, but that company you work for? Yeah I hate them. Liked the company you worked for before though.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I'm hoping that changes and the entertainment industry stops giving a damn what trolls think. I love the fact that Game of Thrones got plenty of Emmy nominations. A vocal minority in their echo chamber should not influence anything. Perhaps if people realize their attention seeking hyperbolic rants accomplish absolutely nothing then maybe we'll see less of it.
I hope so, but look at sonic, they caved hard

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Reminds me of the Kelly Tran thread:

Before I comment, I just wanted to let you know that TLJ and her character sucks

That being said, the toxicity that bullied her off the net is terrible.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The age of social media has magnified social awkwardness and self-absorption tenfold.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Before I comment, I just wanted to let you know that TLJ and her character sucks

Why even bring that in here?
I remember when I didn't like a film I never watched it again.
And maybe if a friend asked me, I might say I didn't like it.
The need to be heard and almost pick sides is what lead to this.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
No lies detected. This is basically a continuation of what the woman that worked on the old dub of NGE said about how people let her know for over 20 years what they thought of the dub and how much she felt for the people working on the new dub getting the same kind of shit, but people talking about it wanted to frame themselves as "her customers" and that she needed to hear their "opinions" because that's how it should work.

People justifying acting like assholes because "muh consumer rights" is probably one of the most annoying trends to come out of fanboyism.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cant wait for the next red letter media video to not shut up about this and make it that much harder for me to keep watching

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds

I agree, i've never got the hate for actors, they do a job they are paid to do, what did you want them to do? quit? adlib and tell the director to stuff it? people are wierd
If i ever met the guy who played King Joffrey, or Draco Malfoy, Lena Headley basically any awesome villain I'd be ecstatic and praise them on portraying a character i hated, not want them dead like some do. Sure its a different situation to 'bad' character, but if i met Kelly Tran, i would equally be star struck! and whilst i may have issues with her character i'd be honest, i disliked the direction, but loved her acting and look forward to where they go next

People who cannot separate the role from the actor just need to chill the fuck out and take a step back. Its like when you call customer service for a company you hate, don't get angry at the worker, be polite, be firm, express your aggression is not directed at them and you appreciate any help they can get. i guess some people just can't do that and people become their vent for their toxicity

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's just like someone going up to Emilia Clarke and bitching about Daenerys and using her character as a jump off point for complaining about the writing and the directors. I absolutely hate these kinds of 'fans'.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So i'm gonna get my thoughts clear here. Coming up to someone who is an actor, in a work and complaining about said work is weird. Odds are they did their job and the issues you have is on the production side and to bring that up to them is not only sometimes rude... but kinda weird. And not how you act in a social environment . Don't do that.

I do think talking to people on the production end is more ok in online spaces when things you are talking about are overtly offensive in someway or in someway actively harming a consumer base. Like same, lootbox stuff. And if an artist has an open forum approach like say, Ian Flynn writer of he sonic IDW comic, he welcomes that onto himself.

But generally both of those aren't needed. Because if a company is half decent , they have people doing demo research and are very aware of your gripes. Obviously that ain't always the case.. to mention sonic again in terms of sonic team. But generally giant corporations and shit have people to be very aware of what's happening in the community. So not only is the act she describing rude... its pointless. You don't think Disney has people outhere combing the internet on what the vibe is on starwars? They pay people to fucking do that. If whatever you like doesn't have a divsion to see what's happening or people dedicated to such action, they are either a small indie thing or there are larger issues at work.

Disney like most other giant corperate entertainment entities are most likely aware you want something, not all the time. Sometimes people need to get in positions of influence to make the higher up people aware that people are aware. But generally, espically with things like fucking starwars, they know what the vibe is. So maybe don't bother employee's of your giant corporate entity of choice on the fucking street , and not be a rude jerk, And direct your criticism to those who are paid to look at that shit

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and really dislike Guardians of the Galaxy 1. I mean, some of the old MCU movies are kind of boring, but there are few things quite as bad as something that's trying to be funny and failing.

I don't go around complaining about GotG1 in every MCU thread. I don't compare completely unrelated things I dislike to GotG1. If I met Karen Gillan in a random situation, I wouldn't go up to her and tell her that I love most of her work but didn't like GotG1.

It's gotten to the point where whenever I see someone complain about TLJ, I just automatically assume there is something wrong with them because if they were a well-adjusted person who didn't like a movie, they'd just move on like everybody else. You're not changing anyone's mind who enjoyed the movie or thinks it was well done. You don't look smart or clever or sophisticated for disliking something. Move on.

Unless someone's specifically asking for opinions, people don't care about what you like. They care even less about what you don't like. And I'm not even talking about people involved. Going up to a random person at a party and talking about how you disliked TLJ would be annoying just in general.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I was at my friend's birthday," she recalls, "and one of her friends, who I barely know, was like, 'Hey, really liked the first Star Wars. Didn't really like the second one,' and I thought, 'That's rude, dude! That's my job!'"

Is it her job to write the characters and plot?
I didn't like the second movie but I really liked her performance. Why is that rude?

If that's the first thing you say when you meet Ridley in person, you are a certifiable sociopath.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's gotten to the point where whenever I see someone complain about TLJ, I just automatically assume there is something wrong with them because if they were a well-adjusted person who didn't like a movie, they'd just move on like everybody else. You're not changing anyone's mind who enjoyed the movie or thinks it was well done. You don't look smart or clever or sophisticated for disliking something. Move on.

And this is taking things way too far in the opposite direction. Good lord.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And this is taking things way too far in the opposite direction. Good lord.

To be clear, I'm talking about people who bring this sort of stuff up unbidden or try to turn every conversation/thread into a TLJ hate thread. Complain all you want about TLJ in TLJ threads & Star Wars threads. And yes, if I was a better person, I wouldn't judge others for something relatively petty like this.

But seriously, it's not healthy to be obsessed about hating a piece of media that came out nearly 2 years ago. Let it go.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I read the OP and was immediately like, "yeah, that's not really rude...", but then I thought about it a bit more, considering it was IRL and not an internet chatroom, as well as at an informal social gathering and a stranger she didn't even know.... yeah, dude was fucking rude, man.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
To be clear, I'm talking about people who bring this sort of stuff up unbidden or try to turn every conversation/thread into a TLJ hate thread. Complain all you want about TLJ in TLJ threads & Star Wars threads. And yes, if I was a better person, I wouldn't judge others for something relatively petty like this.

But seriously, it's not healthy to be obsessed about hating a piece of media that came out nearly 2 years ago. Let it go.

I actually had to take a step back from Star Wars threads everywhere on the internet because, without fail, they would devolve into arguments about TLJ. The general malaise I feel about Star Wars at the moment isn't because of the actual films currently being produced and their quality. It's because trying to engage with other fans was exhausting.

When the prequels came out and I didn't like them, I simply moved on with my life and carried on watching the OT. I wish everyone could do that with everything they didn't like, rather than feeling like they were personally attacked by an actor/studio/publisher/writer/director whatever.

On topic, it's super weird to go up to someone you don't know and criticise their work. Imagine how you would feel if people gave their unsolicited opinions on something you had worked on in a context completely outside of the work environment.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
That example she used it don't seem really rude, in comparison she is recieving death threats online.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Working in IT, I get told how much we suck all the time. Sucks honestly with all that we do and fix and maintain.

So I can see why she wouldn't want something similar said to her, unprovoked.

It's a meme/trope in a few movies; fan casually tells actor/creative the movie sucked. One movie had a rando walk up to the director and ask for his money back... including what he paid for his gf lol. The director paid him back too!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, don't walk up to people you don't know and insult the thing they worked on.

You can walk up Halle Berry and be like "youre a good actress but Catwoman was bad" and she'll probably agree with you, or Robert Pattinson and Twilight, or me and Walmart, but those are exceptions.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

OR, and this happened here, "I would have preferred the actress that played her sister to play Rose. She would have been a much better fit."

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would never bring it up out of context. If I met someone who worked on something I dislike, I am not going to chide them for it. Those actions are dangerously impulsive, counterproductive and rude.

As for being obsessed with hating something, I sometimes understand the sentiment. Star Wars is a cultural touchstone, so it is treated with more intimacy and adoration than your average blockbuster. Lucasfilm has also continually invalidated the original trilogy with artistic alterations and retcons, which some fans respond to like they are being abused.

Honestly, I used to feel that way myself.

I waited in line for 5 hours to see TFA, thought it was mediocre. Saw TLJ a day after opening and absolutely despised it. Now I am struggling internally over whether I should bother with Rise of Skywalker. Plus, being knee-deep in all of the fervent online discussion since the Disney acquisition has even cooled my feelings on the original trilogy. The entire affair is emotional clusterfuck for nerds with any level of personal investment in the brand, which even I still get bitter about.

Yet I have never held it personally against the folks involved in production. The fact that Daisy gets hecklers in private and public sickens me, since most of it is poorly disguised misogyny. The problems with Star Wars and most modern Hollywood productions has nothing to do with individual people, but how the ecosystem has evolved to stifle creativity.

Feel free to hate something, but don't try to compartmentalize a complex problem by wrongly assigning blame to lone variables.