• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was a mess of an answer but everything about the article just screams that its trying its hardest to make her look as bad as possible.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Actually suprised she struggled so much with this question. Wonder if an american white woman would have answered similary.

I wonder if the alt right will defend her now.

Last edited:

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
People talking about "the question was confusing", Ridley is clearly shook at having her privilege highlighted. It's a terrible answer. Whether it's because she's never thought about it before or she disagrees with the notion who's to say.

Recognizing white privilege as a white person isn't an admission of weakness, or that you haven't suffered and worked hard. That's what people get hung up on. It's just acknowledging that minorities have a roadblock in front of them that you don't. You've had other roadblocks, but not that one. That doesn't mean you're a bad person or lazy.
Exactly this.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People talking about "the question was confusing", Ridley is clearly shook at having her privilege highlighted. It's a terrible answer. Whether it's because she's never thought about it before or she disagrees with the notion who's to say.

Recognizing white privilege as a white person isn't an admission of weakness, or that you haven't suffered and worked hard. That's what people get hung up on. It's just acknowledging that minorities have a roadblock in front of them that you don't. You've had other roadblocks, but not that one. That doesn't mean you're a bad person or lazy.
That's the way I interpreted it. Regardless of the quality of the question to some, it was a very revealing answer.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately it's not. One's own personality and self image are the biggest factors really regardless of what anyone says. These things can be shaped by one's upbringing and status definitely but they aren't defined by it, plenty of people born into a "privilege" have had incredible difficulties navigating life while others born into a distinct lack of it have made great strides due to their own inherent qualities and personality.
Yeah, ultimately her answer was that it's her "chatty family" that made her confident. Can you say that is privilege without saying non-white families wouldn't have that dynamic?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We pretending working hard for and earning something negates having privilege?

That's not how any of this works.

Deleted member 61538

Alt account
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Why would Daisy have to prepare for a question about her privilege during a Star Wars promotional/publicity tour?

Has Adam or Oscar been asked that same question in their interviews, in comparison with John? Or anyone?

What has Daisy said or done that would make people question her character?

You should always be prepared to answer difficult questions about your background, it'a her publicist job to make sure she's always prepared and not trot out a symphony on No's

Adam has already addressed this in the below interview:

Oscar is from South America unless you want to lump him in as a white man.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You should always be prepared to answer difficult questions about your background, it'a her publicist job to make sure she's always prepared and not trot out a symphony on No's

That's addressing privilege in general, not this oddly specific and confusing question asking about the origins of her personality.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017

There are no white people in South America?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The subject of that movie meant he was always going to be prepared for these types of questions, I guess.

Jul 18, 2018

This.
She refused to even acknowledge this and well she either learns from this and reflects or she will shrug it off and don't.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It was also topical as the interview was about his role in BlacKkKlansman where his character was able to use his whiteness to infiltrate the KKK. The Daisy interview seemed to go from being confident about protecting her private life straight into whether her confidence came from her privilege. She didn't handle it well but the question itself was an odd segue.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The answer sounds exactly like something a privileged person in denial would say. Growing up in her circumstances most definitely gives you social cues and experience that helps you deal with show biz.

Deleted member 61538

Alt account
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
That's addressing privilege in general, not this oddly specific and confusing question asking about the origins of her personality.

Something Daisy could have done but she decided to ignore that and simply say No. It should be a general rule of thumb for white celebs to just acknowledge their privilege and move on

There are no white people in South America?

Don't purposely twist my words

I left it open for you to decide if his a white man Half Guatemelan half Cuban you decide
The subject of that movie meant he was always going to be prepared for these types of questions, I guess.

He even acknowledged it in 2015

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
You know what's bullshit, that as much as the journalist thinks they are fucking woke or some shit for raising 'privilage', they are actually the problem.

'Hmmm... here is an actor in one of the largest films of the decade... Let's discuss with his co-worker about how *poor* he was...'

Kmt, on top of it, lying about facts as well.

Ridley's privilege is that the press is not talking to Boyega about his thoughts on her family background.

White people never do.

Also, quit this racist stance mate

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Race
You know what's bullshit, that as much as the journalist thinks they are fucking woke or some shit for raising 'privilage', they are actually the problem.

'Hmmm... here is an actor in one of the largest films of the decade... Let's discuss with his co-worker about how *poor* he was...'

Kmt, on top of it, lying about facts as well.

Ridley's privilege is that the press is not talking to Boyega about his thoughts on her family background.

Also, quit this racist stance mate
I have read several posts like this. "White people are this, white people are that..." I guess stuff like that is allowed here, because its "not as bad". Same with posts like "ACAB" and "All men are...".

Edit: Yeah, I have to edit this one. I apologize for offending people here. My intention with this post was never to make a racist remark, but to tell the poster above me why I think posts like that are allowed and should not be compared to real racism. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes little nuances can be lost in translation. As you can see I used neutral words like "several posts" and "stuff". If you read these words like more negative ones, the intention seems racist, so I understand why I was banned. The second thing is the quotation marks from "not as bad". These are completely unnecessary and I just used them to mark the stance of this forum on this issue. I didn't clarify on the day of posting because the thread was locked and I thought the discussion was over. I should have thought more about all of this before posting and will do so in the future.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
After reviewing feedback, we're reopening this thread - this is a news article, not a personal thread.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Her costar is a black dude, which is a first for being a lead in Star Wars. I think it's a perfectly appropriate question especially with diversity and inclusion being one of the biggest thing about this new cast.

That she doesn't know how to answer it perfectly sums out the privilege she has enjoyed her entire life. Her answer was not good but she can still clarify it and issue a statement acknowledging it. That's how I would handle it anyway.

But it wasn't about her privilege as a white women, it was about her going to a boarding school. And it wasn't even about getting roles but about her ability to "navigate celebrity".

I don't even really see the correlation between the two.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It's a very weird question to ask. Interviewer know what he/she was doing.

"But surely nine years of private education gave her some additional confidence?"

The fuck does that EVEN MEAN?! I personally know so many people who had private education and they are no better than me and I'm no better than them.

This is a case of "you had a good life. Tell us, why you deserved it and we didn't?"

People saying WhItE PeOpLe PriVileGe, do you expect her to say "You're right. I'm white. Fuck you all. Fuck you Boyega cause you're black"?
As a straight white male I'm like second in the food chain of priveledge right behind straight white people that are offspring of millionaires, I can say having priveledge sure as shit doesn't give you confidence.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Actually suprised she struggled so much with this question. Wonder if an american white woman would have answered similary.

I wonder if the alt right will defend her now.

Really? Like really? Thats a pretty fucked up thing to say. I fucking wish privilege came with confidence for free, maybe then I would have some.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
What does privilege have to do with confidence?
If you know a system is rigged in your favor, would you not be more confident in your chances to succeed within that system? And conversely if you knew a system was rigged against you, wouldn't you find it more difficult to be confident of your success?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
What does privilege have to do with confidence?

In 1988, American feminist and anti-racism activist Peggy McIntosh published "White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming to See Correspondences through Work in Women's Studies". Here, McIntosh documented forty-six privileges which she, as a white person, experienced in the United States. As an example, "I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me", and "I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection". McIntosh described white privilege as an "invisible package of unearned assets" which white people do not want to acknowledge, and which leads to them being confident, comfortable, and oblivious about racial issues, while non-white people become unconfident, uncomfortable, and alienated.[10] McIntosh's essay has been credited for stimulating academic interest in privilege, which has been extensively studied in the decades since.[11]

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The question seems ill-intended from the get-go. The journalist could straight out asked if she felt privileged compared to her co-star. Talking about confidence is strange because John comes out as someone much more confident than her and I don't think confidence is directly tied to your privilege growing up.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Cancelling Daisy Ridley because she's not yet been able to fully reflect on her privilege and how that may have influenced her?

Some of you are over the top.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019

In 1988, American feminist and anti-racism activist Peggy McIntosh published "White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming to See Correspondences through Work in Women's Studies". Here, McIntosh documented forty-six privileges which she, as a white person, experienced in the United States. As an example, "I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me", and "I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection". McIntosh described white privilege as an "invisible package of unearned assets" which white people do not want to acknowledge, and which leads to them being confident, comfortable, and oblivious about racial issues, while non-white people become unconfident, uncomfortable, and alienated.[10] McIntosh's essay has been credited for stimulating academic interest in privilege, which has been extensively studied in the decades since.[11]
Hmm, alright, thanks!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's not the best answer at all, but I fear this will be weaponised by all the wrong people. Regardless of her privelige, she's had a fucking terrible time from internet goons the last 4 years.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Here's an incredibly loaded and controversial question that I'm gonna dump on you out of nowhere, you better answer it right.

It's clear she had never been asked that before and had no idea how to even begin to answer it.

This day n age it really shouldn't be hard to have at least some degree of awareness of the perks of being white and upper class. I mean, come on.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The question seems ill-intended from the get-go. The journalist could straight out asked if she felt privileged compared to her co-star. Talking about confidence is strange because John comes out as someone much more confident than her and I don't think confidence is directly tied to your privilege growing up.
It also doesn't take into account the fact that she was bullied off of the net simply for being a woman lead of Star Wars, so in that regard, her experience with confidence IS different from John's.

That being said, she should have answered better instead of jumping straight to no, because it can be twisted or misinterpreted to mean "I don't believe white privilege exists", which is not the implication.

Jun 6, 2019
Until people that work hard understand that depending on where they are from, how they look like, their gender, that someone less fortunate would need to work even harder, nothing will change.

If you frame it as being about them specifically, like this interviewer did, you're not gonna make a lot of friends. It would be easier to appeal to their empathy by saying how hard others have it, instead of being confrontational and giving them the feeling they themselves didn't work hard.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
bad answer for sure but also not a particularly damning one, ignorance towards your privilege is pretty common and unless deliberate not that immoral.

Terrible article however as was the framing of the question, there's a way to ask that question w/o pitting her against Boyega.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you know a system is rigged in your favor, would you not be more confident in your chances to succeed within that system? And conversely if you knew a system was rigged against you, wouldn't you find it more difficult to be confident of your success?
Humans aren't so binary that people handle situations the same way based on skin color. Very few experiences prepare you for becoming the most talked about person in hollywood at a given time, let alone one that's subject to so much harassment from people, the majority of which have the same skin color as you, that you quit social media entirely after growing up in the era of social media.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see this as a gotcha question at all. I think she is just in denial and had a terrible answer. I don't blame the interviewer. This was kind of a gift to Ridley in that had she answered favorably she would have looked great. She didn't though and here we are.