• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
She's always talked about in interviews how she's worked just about every kind of job in the book.

Bartending, retailer employee, etc.
This is a common pattern with rich youngsters. It's not very different from rich college kids always being "poor". Working retail or bartending for a few months here and there is like going to the zoo for these people.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I know when I am interviewing celebs, I like to sign up as the 29th interviewer for the gauntlet day. That way I know I can catch them tired and weak and get my "gotchya!" on.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
No need to edit your response? Please finish about what "us guys" do.
I'm on mobile,

But i will go there

You guys, always search for injustice for the sake of searching where there isn't, always trying to pit people against people

Like this journo, trying to pit Ridley against Boyega when they are friends.

It's ridiculous

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah she is saying that her privilege has nothing to do with how she handled fame, is it something wrong about that?

she saying that even john that has a different background than her is as confidente if not more than here, so "privilege" has nothing to do with how they handled fame

She can comment on her own life effecting how she handles fame but her equivocating her and John doesn't fly. I don't know the details of either of their lives as I don't follow celebrities like that but I think she should of stopped at detailing her personal dealings with confidence.

For example my fiance and I met at work and have the same job but our journey here and our success at the our job comes from two different places. She is confident and capable because she has never had any set backs in life and came from a wealthy neighborhood and always expects things to go well. So she approaches things with out fear of failure. I on the other hand came from a single parent house hold, was a victim of child abuse and spent a pretty significant portion of my child hood in a state of starvation. My confidence at work is based on the feeling that nothing the job can throw at me can be worse than what I've lived through.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The "how" is about how it helped with her fame or being confidence.

Like, what do you think the question even was? It wasn't "do you have privilege?".

No I don't Einchy, I do know that when the question got expanded she started mentioning her experience(in the context of privilege) was similar to Boyega.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
From the hot ones interview I thought boyega was brought up among some serious privilege. Even if only privilege in the UK sense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
what the fuck are these reaches?!

There is a very long and tense pause, before she insists that, actually, there is little difference between her experience and that of her co-star John Boyega, who grew up in south London to British Nigerian immigrant parents. "John grew up on a council estate in Peckham and I think me and him are similar enough that… no."

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No I don't Einchy, I do know that when the question got expanded she started mentioning her experience(in the context of privilege) was similar to Boyega.
Again, everything she says is within the context of how her privileged helped her deal with fame or gave her confidence. You choosing to believe she switched subjects and then went back to the original question is just you wanting to read into this what you want to hear, rather than what she said.

Again, this is why this is such a good bait question. She can answer what was asked, and then people just choose to believe her answer was to a completely different question.

She was never asked if she had privileged, her answers her never in response to a question that she wasn't asked. Why are we treating her renpose like it's her saying she doesn't have privilege then?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
She can comment on her own life effecting how she handles fame but her equivocating her and John doesn't fly. I don't know the details of either of their lives as I don't follow celebrities like that but I think she should of stopped at detailing her personal dealings with confidence.

For example my fiance and I met at work and have the same job but our journey here and our success at the our job comes from two different places. She is confident and capable because she has never had any set backs in life and came from a wealthy neighborhood and always expects things to go well. So she approaches things with out fear of failure. I on the other hand came from a single parent house hold, was a victim of child abuse and spent a pretty significant portion of my child hood in a state of starvation. My confidence at work is based on the feeling that nothing the job can throw at me can be worse than what I've lived through.
She didn't equate like that... she is not saying they are equal.

She is saying john and her are similar in how they learned to deal with fame and john had less privilege... so she doesn't think that factored in much.

I mean, it might have... privilege is all encompassing after, but that question would take some thinking about to properly answer. After being put on the spot by a very weirdly framed question she struggled to answer in very little time and the interviewer did her best to frame it as her outright denying her priveledge when that is not what happened.

See above... she means they both have similar confidence and ways they respond to dealing with fame, and as john has less priveledge it doesn't seem to her like it was a main factor in this specific aspect.

She did not say they are equal on the way you're suggesting.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title should be changed.

Daisy doesn't deny her privilege.

-She denies that her privilege made her more confident to navigate her celebrity.

Reread the article.

The question was specifically about confidence with celebrity.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts
Oh boy, yes. White people are automatically privileged because no matter their wealth, education level etc. they don't have to deal with the systemic oppression that is brought on by racism.
all white people? hahahaha
the majority of white people and people in general for that matter are not winners

dep, get born in a fishing village to low income family,/.... but but but white whiteee privlegde

this is a SHUT DOWN reply and does not help anybody advance to issue anywhere

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think when she's mentioning experience and similarities that's she's referring to their privilege

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile,

But i will go there

You guys, always search for injustice for the sake of searching where there isn't, always trying to pit people against people

Like this journo, trying to pit Ridley against Boyega when they are friends.

It's ridiculous

Since you want to go there, I'm game. First, don't "you guys" me because I'm a member of era. I'm probably the last fucking dude here who goes on every topic trying to find some shit to get upset about. I see some names here who do so much more than me defending the woman, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree. There's zero need for the generalizations either way.

I didn't criticize daisy, I didn't criticize anyone saying it was a gotcha question. I called your bullshit out because you're on here acting like white privilege isn't a thing, then when called on it, you want to hit me with the "you guys always search for injustice" nonsense like you're some troll from kiwi farms or The_Donald even though I never criticized the actor in question. So seriously, please kick rocks with your bull.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the majority of white people and people in general for that matter are not winners

dep, get born in a fishing village to low income family,/.... but but but white whiteee privlegde

the fact that people wont mistrust you just for the color of your skin, is already privilege mate.

nobody is saying that white people do not struggle in life.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of defense in here

People who actually read the article should defend Daisy.

Because she's not denying her privilege exists. She's denying it helped make her more confident.

People in this thread are misconstruing "confidence" with "success" and twisting it with a denial of a privileged upbringing, which she has not denied.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Get born in a fishing village to a low income family AND have to deal with institutional racism and systemic oppression in every facet of your daily life. Privelege doesn't mean that white people have it easy, it means that they aren't saddled with the systemic issues that minorities face.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand how these types of posts escape moderation.

They're so thinly veiled.

Dec 12, 2017

You don't understand the term privilege. All things being equal, there are systemic advantages that white people have purely based on the color of their skin. No one is saying that all white people have it easy.

I mean one example is a black woman getting about 10x more call backs after changing her name on her resume to a white sounding name.

This is my last attempt to try and actually help you understand, otherwise I'll let the mods take the trash out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I like how in this thread there's someone saying what they wished Daisy Ridley had said but didn't.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm going to venture to guess that most people that get checked for their privilege don't understand that being privileged doesn't mean you didn't have challenges or struggles, just that social dynamics work far more in your favor than others, often in ways you don't even need to think about. Being white in the western world is definitely a privileged position.

What privileged people almost always seem to misunderstand is that being privileged doesn't mean being free of struggle and challenges in your life. Literally everyone has those. But being privileged means there are certain social benefits you have that are automatic based on social identifiers.

Most privileged people don't ever even think about it, privilege is very often something you just take for granted and live with on a day-to-day basis, and is pretty much never explicitly outlined to you by anyone other than those who do not possess that privilege, so a lot of privileged people take to being called privileged as confrontational and generally just in bad faith.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You want people here to read instead of running with hot takes? You should know better.
The interviewer tweeted out the interview and wrote this:

"I interviewed Daisy Ridley and you can read all her thoughts on life, Carrie Fisher, fame, not having privilege and so on here"

Really dishonest framing.

I'm going to venture to guess that most people that get checked for their privilege don't understand that being privileged doesn't mean you didn't have challenges or struggles, just that social dynamics work far more in your favor than others, often in ways you don't even need to think about. Being white in the western world is definitely a privileged position.

What privileged people almost always seem to misunderstand is that being privileged doesn't mean being free of struggle and challenges in your life. Literally everyone has those. But being privileged means there are certain social benefits you have that are automatic based on social identifiers.

Most privileged people don't ever even think about it, privilege is very often something you just take for granted and live with on a day-to-day basis, and is pretty much never explicitly outlined to you by anyone other than those who do not possess that privilege, so a lot of privileged people take to being called privileged as confrontational and generally just in bad faith.
And while this is very true it has little to do with what happened in this interview.

She had a weirdly specific question sprung on her. She didn't deny priveledge, and given more time and an actual conversation we have no idea what here thoughts would be.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The interviewer tweeted out the interview and wrote this:

"I interviewed Daisy Ridley and you can read all her thoughts on life, Carrie Fisher, fame, not having privilege and so on here"

Really dishonest framing.
All their editorial notes are BS. Like, why are you pretending you didn't specifically ask her how her privileged helped her with fame and her confidence?!

[fakespoilers]To bait people for those sweet sweet clicks.[/fakespoilers]

Oct 27, 2017
"I've been very fortunate."

That's it! That's all you gotta say! If anyone here somehow winds up in a similar situation, there's your get out of questioning free card.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Honestly, the fake wokeness in here. Its like no one really reads the literature that being "woke" is based on. Some posts in here would benefit from patricia hill collins' Matrices of Domination and Matrices of Oppression. It's really not that black and white.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read the interview and think a lot of people in this thread jumped to a pretty big conclusion here. The question was about her confidence and if growing up privileged helped her there. She says it didn't. I don't read her as equating her childhood to Boyega's.

Also, Boyega said in his Twitter reply that the reporter had her facts about his past wrong and that there's something to be learned from Daisy's experience as well. So...

I do think that a lot of wealthy people, and particularly white wealthy people, like to reinvent their story to sound like they overcame more challenges than they ever did. I'm not sure Daisy is doing that here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
blanket general shut down replies does not advance the discussion anywhere
As opposed to your contribution sarcastically quipping "So if youre white youre automatically privileged?". People are giving you easy shut down responses because its like arguing whether the earth is flat or whether vaccines cause autism. The answer to your question doesn't really require more explanation and the fact youre seemingly just realizing this is in and of itself pretty indicative of privilege.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
lol what a cheap shot question.

Also yeah, a precious few people are even willing to recognize their privilege so I'm not terribly shocked.