• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Really hope he's over it and doesn't have any "long COVID" symptoms going forward. I thought I might have to be hospitalised last year but can't imagine how scary it would have felt to have actually been admitted.

I forget his age: I first read about him over a decade ago in Retro Gamer magazine, so in my mind he's always been in his mid-20s - it's amazing/terrifying what a difference a decade makes when it comes to COVID-19.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
That's false. Japan is averaging 113 COVID deaths per day right now, and sits at about 8,632 deaths for the year - lower than a lot of the worst countries per capita, but far more than 1,000 deaths (a milestone that they appear to have passed around Jan 17th). The AP reported yesterday that Osaka hospitals are overwhelmed. As far as deaths associated with the COVID vaccines go, at best the potential clotting issues from the AZ and J&J vaccines have caused in the low double digits of deaths, and I'm not aware of any deaths associated with the Pfizer vaccine (which was the only vaccine approved in Japan up until a few days ago); that doesn't mean there haven't been any, but if they exist they are incredibly rare.

(Update: fixed COVID deaths link)

And a further update: the official Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare site pegs the total COVID deaths at 12,148 so far, with the majority of those happening this year:

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Official COVID-19 website of Japanese government provides information on infection prevention, vaccines, border measures and supports.

Your Japanese teacher is spreading dangerously wrong information.
Not to mention, no one has died from the vaccine. There is an extraordinarily small number of people who have died from COVID after being vaccinated, but no one has actually died as a result from taking the vaccine

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
That's false. Japan is averaging 113 COVID deaths per day right now, and sits at about 8,632 deaths for the year - lower than a lot of the worst countries per capita, but far more than 1,000 deaths (a milestone that they appear to have passed around Jan 17th). The AP reported yesterday that Osaka hospitals are overwhelmed. As far as deaths associated with the COVID vaccines go, at best the potential clotting issues from the AZ and J&J vaccines have caused in the low double digits of deaths, and I'm not aware of any deaths associated with the Pfizer vaccine (which was the only vaccine approved in Japan up until a few days ago); that doesn't mean there haven't been any, but if they exist they are incredibly rare.

Not to mention, no one has died from the vaccine. There is an extraordinarily small number of people who have died from COVID after being vaccinated, but no one has actually died as a result from taking the vaccine
That is... possibly not true for the J&J and Astrazenaca vaccines. There does seem to be a very rare blood clotting issue observed with these vaccines, almost entirely affecting women under 50; last I saw 3 affected people had passed away (not sure about AZ in Europe, hence my hedging in the original post). This could be a coincidence, but out of caution the US CDC guidance currently suggests people in the potentially affected demographic group should consider opting for the other approved mRNA based vaccines, which have not been associated with clotting.

Part of the issue may have been that the standard treatment for clotting (heparin) is actively unhelpful here - that was what the J&J rollout pause was about, making sure that doctors knew to use alternative treatments if someone presents with clotting after getting that vaccine.

This is obviously not a settled question, given the extreme rarity of the alleged side effect, but it is clear that even if the effect is real it is statistically far less dangerous than actually getting COVID would be by orders of magnitude.

In any case, this is all moot for Japan, which had only approved the Pfizer vaccine up until a few days ago.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Real glad he's back at home and feeling better. Hopefully the road to recovery leaves no side effects.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
That is... possibly not true for the J&J and Astrazenaca vaccines. There does seem to be a very rare blood clotting issue observed with these vaccines, almost entirely affecting women under 50; last I saw 3 affected people had passed away (not sure about AZ in Europe, hence my hedging in the original post). This could be a coincidence, but out of caution the US CDC guidance currently suggests people in the potentially affected demographic group should consider opting for the other approved mRNA based vaccines, which have not been associated with clotting.

Part of the issue may have been that the standard treatment for clotting (heparin) is actively unhelpful here - that was what the J&J rollout pause was about, making sure that doctors knew to use alternative treatments if someone presents with clotting after getting that vaccine.

This is obviously not a settled question, given the extreme rarity of the alleged side effect, but it is clear that even if the effect is real it is statistically far less dangerous than actually getting COVID would be by orders of magnitude.

In any case, this is all moot for Japan, which had only approved the Pfizer vaccine up until a few days ago.
There is also the problem that oral contraceptives, which women take usually when they are under 50, have the risk of causing blood clotting issues. That is a known risk and though it's small, it may mess up with the data, but I think more research needs to be done to clarify all this.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Modwhining; Spreading Misinfomration During a Pandemic; Prior Ban for the Same

And a further update: the official Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare site pegs the total COVID deaths at 12,148 so far, with the majority of those happening this year:

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Official COVID-19 website of Japanese government provides information on infection prevention, vaccines, border measures and supports.

Your Japanese teacher is spreading dangerously wrong information.

This is what forums are for to discuss things, since I have no grasp of the Japanese language to the point of verifying situation in Japan via non-English sources that might have some more info.

I would have replied back to thank you and things would be solved.

Yet mods banned me for 1 month, thinking I am a COVID and Japanese expert spreading misinformation.

Heck recently I heard from a colleague of mine that his doctor friend told him that COVID does not hit smokers as much as non-smokers and we heard that in amazement, even a colleague smoking who was on leave for some days due to COVID. If experts say that amid other things, you cant blame clueless users.

We are adults discussing things, not 5 year olds.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
This is what forums are for to discuss things, since I have no grasp of the Japanese language to the point of verifying situation in Japan via non-English sources that might have some more info.

Yet mods banned me for 1 month, thinking I am a COVID and Japanese expert spreading misinformation.

Heck recently I heard from a colleague of mine that his doctor friend told him that COVID does not hit smokers as much as non-smokers and we heard that in amazement, even a colleague smoking who was on leave for some days due to COVID. If experts say that amid other things, you cant blame clueless users.

Back from your ban and the first thing you do is post about your ban? Sheesh, that's a grudge you need to let go.

Do you parrot back everything someone tells you without doing an ounce of research about it?

The moon is made of cheese. Neal Armstrong took a big bite but the government doesn't want you to know so they made all Moon Astronauts sign an NDA.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

You really don't have to be a Japanese expert to know that the vaccine is not killing more people than the disease

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

You're spreading misinformation again

www.who.int

Smoking and COVID-19

Scientific Brief

At the time of this review, the available evidence suggests that smoking is associated with increased severity of disease and death in hospitalized COVID-19 patients. Although likely related to severity, there is no evidence to quantify the risk to smokers of hospitalization with COVID-19 or of infection by SARS-CoV-2 was found in the peer-reviewed literature. Population-based studies are needed to address these questions.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If your colleagues are telling you that the vaccine is killing more people than Covid and that smokers are safer than non-smokers maybe your colleagues are idiots and you should get new colleagues.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is also the problem that oral contraceptives, which women take usually when they are under 50, have the risk of causing blood clotting issues. That is a known risk and though it's small, it may mess up with the data, but I think more research needs to be done to clarify all this.

Oral contraceptives lead to standard blood clotting. The cases that raised concern are for instance blood clots in combination with low platelet, which is something else than normal blood clots. The research has been done on it happening, it now shifted to the why.

Status
Not open for further replies.