• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dang it.

Some of my favorite works of theirs were from one of The Weeknd's recent albums. Absolutely top tier beats.

However, I really, really did NOT enjoy Random Access Memories.
I was holding out hope for one more album to tie everything back together.

Also, why break up? Why not just stay inactive?

Last edited:

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Bummer. Anything comparable coming out of France or anywhere else?
Air & Justice are some of the other famous French electronica bands:
www.youtube.com

La femme d'argent

Provided to YouTube by Parlophone (France)La femme d'argent · AirMoon Safari℗ Label Parlophone, ℗ 1997 Warner Music FranceHand Clap: Caroline LegrouxOrgan: ...
www.youtube.com

Justice - Genesis - † (Official Audio)

“HYPERDRAMA” new album pre-save: https://justice.lnk.to/hyperdramayoJustice “One Night/All Night” (Starring Tame Impala) out now: https://justice.lnk.to/onan...

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Touch, sweet touch

You've given me too much to feel....

Sweet touch

You've almost convinced me I'm real!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't feel bad about this because both of them are alive and well, but I feel pretty damn bad.

Candeldandel

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest
goddamn... the lack of details is frustrating, but I guess we haven't heard anything new from them in a while. possibly coming for longer than we realize. still slightly gutted :( I remember being super psyched for RAM on the other forum, seems like 1000 years ago

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Eu2WBsGVgAAJqIh

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Curious about it too. Is it the way they produced music?

I think they were just talking about the the familiarity of the mystique and how it became difficult to protect the illusion (and romanticism) of their performance.

"Bangalter says everything about RAM and its buildup is about the surprise, the magic. "When you know how a magic trick is done, it's so depressing," he explains. "We focus on the illusion because giving away how it's done instantly shuts down the sense of excitement and innocence."

From: https://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/daft-punk/

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I think they were just talking about the the familiarity of the mystique and how it became difficult to protect the illusion (and romanticism) of their performance.

"Bangalter says everything about RAM and its buildup is about the surprise, the magic. "When you know how a magic trick is done, it's so depressing," he explains. "We focus on the illusion because giving away how it's done instantly shuts down the sense of excitement and innocence."

From: https://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/daft-punk/

I was still seeing the magic :'(

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
well...better to burn out than fade away, I guess

Maybe this is over-analyzing, but it's interesting that in the 'epilogue' video only one of the robots is destroyed, and the other walks away

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
bullshit

complete radio silence for 8 years then a massive industry wide notification that they quit?

ya ok drop the new album

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Daft Punk is one of my favorites and RAM had a huge impact on my fond memories of 2013.
Sad to see them go but I hope they continue to create art and regroup in the future (if they wish).

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I'm not torn up about this. I enjoy their music, but it's been, what? 8 years since RAM came out? And 8 years since the one before that? I was never expecting them to put out another album. Godspeed, and thanks Daft Punk.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
well...better to burn out than fade away, I guess

Maybe this is over-analyzing, but it's interesting that in the 'epilogue' video only one of the robots is destroyed, and the other walks away

Yeah, the video is old, I think. Don't overanalyze. Sucks. I wanted more from them. RAM is a fantastic album to close out on.

nstinson

Dec 27, 2019
I enjoyed their music. I'll miss them even if I haven't heard anything new from them in awhile. The Tron soundtrack was great

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly expected this several years ago. They gave us some fantastic work but it's been a long time.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I found this while digging through my archive and queuing up Daft Punk tunes:

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
They will be missed :(

But honestly, It has been a long time since they released anything, all they have done between RAM and now is producing a bunch of stuff here and there, and two or three collaborations, so this comes as no surprise.

I would like to see these guys as their spiritual successors.