• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

This is 23 minutes long but TLDW is that the archived script at the WGA Library shows Dany accidentally setting off wildfire caches around King's Landing.

Could have led in a variety of directions from here (CERSEI's caches, or the Mad Kings? Smear Campaign to paint her as evil? Does she embrace that or try to fight it?) but then they decided against it for whatever reason.

But at the end of the day this might have only saved Dany and maybe CERSEI from the shit show that was S8

EDIT:

Another thing this channel owner has deduced from commentary tracks is that Emilia Clarke was kept in the dark about the fate of Dany for as long as possible, with them filming random footage to try and keep her from knowing what was actually going on (And she may even had read this wildfire version of the script and later been blinded by Dany's actual fate)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Well as long as we're talking about Circe

www.goodreads.com

Circe

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child - not powerful, like...

This is a fantastic book by Madelline Miller, and an excellent read if you're interest in fantasy, literary fiction, or greek mythology. Highly recommend

And unlike Cersei/Circe/Ser Zee in GoT it sticks the landing

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
someone just wake me up when the books are written (lol never) so we can see how this whole thing was supposed to end

i don't care what the tv writers think about anything at any time of it's development

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.goodreads.com

Circe

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child - not powerful, like...

This is a fantastic book by Madelline Miller, and an excellent read if you're interest in fantasy, literary fiction, or greek mythology. Highly recommend

And unluck Cersei/Circe/Ser Zee in GoT it sticks the landing
Wow. I was JUST thinking of making a thread asking for recommendations like this. Cheers!

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dany accidentally blowing up King's Landing has been a book theory since the 90s. Makes a lot of sense that D&D swerved to something incomprehensible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
i heard in the original script for the game of thrones ending they made destiel canon

May 26, 2018
Guessing her accidentally blowing up the caches led to even more episodes, with Dany in control after utter disaster and watching her mentally breaking down. But instead the show was decided to end the episode after so they skipped everything? Who knows....

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, Dragon Demands (the youtuber in the OP) is a long time D&D hater. Like I remember basically everyone at the Watchers site around season 4, basically wishing they would stop posting because they were so incessant in criticizing everything D&D touched. If I'm remembering correctly, they were a wiki mod/author and kept getting into all kinds of wiki battles with people in the fandom. At the time I remember being annoyed and pretty much skipping all of their comments in threads because it always felt bad faith and a bit unhinged.

Fastforward to now and it feels like i've joined the dark side in my dislike of D&D's writing and tworldbuilding instincs lol. Was he always right?

Still don't know if I can take Dragon Demands seriously. Guess I have to watch the video to see if it's well sourced and reasonable.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
There was wildfire in the episode.

www.refinery29.com

How The Green Fire At The Battle Of King's Landing Fits Into Daenerys' Family Legacy

King Aerys II Targaryen had been planning to use wildfire to destroy King's Landing. His daughter, Daenerys, fulfilled that legacy. The mad queen indeed.

The article has a big picture witha big green explosion.
There was meant to be a lot more of it. VFX people mention it during the commentaries on the Blu-ray, that they were hastily asked to change it to regular fire.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
There was meant to be a lot more of it. VFX people mention it during the commentaries on the Blu-ray, that they were hastily asked to change it to regular fire.

I haven't seen the blu-ray commentaries so I can't comment on that but in the show visual continuity wildfire is only green when it explodes. Anything that catches on fire from wildfire burns like regular fire. This was true at Blackwater and the Sept of Baelor. So buildings set on fire by a wildfire explosion would not burn green.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
That would have made more sense from a character standpoint, but the writers likely thought that portraying Dany's massacre of King's Landing as accidental would make her too sympathetic for Jon to kill in the finale. They probably thought there would be a huge fan outcry over Dany's death.

Whoops.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Oh, so it sounds like it made at least some sense until Dumb and Dumber were all:

giphy.gif

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but then would the dragon have tapped into its literary instinct to melt the Iron Throne before flying off, or would its literary instincts have allowed it to keep the Iron Throne intact

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I honestly expected Cersei to destroy the city with the wildfire caches after she realises she's lost, with that act of madness turning Jamie against her, ending in him killing her. That may still happen in the book, with the valonqar prophecy and all that. And of course I expected that to happen before she apparently became pregnant.

It's a shame Martin wasn't involved with the show for the last few seasons. His input is sorely missed.

anamika

May 18, 2018
That would have made more sense from a character standpoint, but the writers likely thought that portraying Dany's massacre of King's Landing as accidental would make her too sympathetic for Jon to kill in the finale.
Jon wouldn't even have killed her if it was accidental. Hell, book Jon wouldn't have even killed show Dany for what she did. He would have refused to support Dany anymore, taken the remnants of his army and left for the North.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
D&D are the trashiest of trash when it comes to show runners and writers. Getting stripped of their own Star Wars series couldn't have happened to anyone better.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
That would have made more sense from a character standpoint, but the writers likely thought that portraying Dany's massacre of King's Landing as accidental would make her too sympathetic for Jon to kill in the finale. They probably thought there would be a huge fan outcry over Dany's death.

Whoops.

For me the writing of the final jon and dany scene is bad because Dany is partrayed as dilerious with power after burning the city. It makes it excusable for Jon to kill her.

I really wanted her to let it all go. Why not burn Kingslanding? There were ready to fight us to the death when they thought they could win. The let Cersei rule over them with no resistance. Compared to the slaves of Yunkai and Mereen who rose up in rebellion for her, these people didn't deserve mercy. They are no different than the masters she burned in Essos.

Jon makes some lame point about humanity and compassion.

And then Dany reminds him about how he killed the people who failed to kill him. And how these Kingslanders didn't come to fight the dead.

Then Jon stabs her because he doesn't actually care about widespread societal change and just wants to live in the woods.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in the books Jamie stops Cerci from blowing up kings landing, but Danny blows it up accidentally and has a proper conflict with John.

Meanwhile Brane reveals himself to be evil with the knight king being good trying to stop him. This gives Tirion something to do to try to stop him. Maybe even littletoe could stay alive and contribute.

So much more the book could do to end it satisfactorily.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Jon wouldn't even have killed her if it was accidental. Hell, book Jon wouldn't have even killed show Dany for what she did. He would have refused to support Dany anymore, taken the remnants of his army and left for the North.

True, which is why they felt the need to make her turn into Nazi Dany immediately after she burned down the city, so she had to turn evil or else Tyrion's speech to Jon wouldn't have been convincing (it still wasn't, but I'm trying to think from the writers' perspective here). I totally agree that book Jon would have acted another way.

For me the writing of the final jon and dany scene is bad because Dany is partrayed as dilerious with power after burning the city. It makes it excusable for Jon to kill her.

I really wanted her to let it all go. Why not burn Kingslanding? There were ready to fight us to the death when they thought they could win. The let Cersei rule over them with no resistance. Compared to the slaves of Yunkai and Mereen who rose up in rebellion for her, these people didn't deserve mercy. They are no different than the masters she burned in Essos.

Jon makes some lame point about humanity and compassion.

And then Dany reminds him about how he killed the people who failed to kill him. And how these Kingslanders didn't come to fight the dead.

Then Jon stabs her because he doesn't actually care about widespread societal change and just wants to live in the woods.

I get what you mean. Part of me wanted Dany to still win out in the finale and thought that her burning of King's Landing wasn't that much more terrible than the actions of many of the other characters to that point. If they hadn't portrayed her as powermad and crazy, her actions would have actually been consistent with the awful nature of Westeros' politics, and people would likely have blamed Cersei for not conceding when she had the chance.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in the books Jamie stops Cerci from blowing up kings landing, but Danny blows it up accidentally and has a proper conflict with John.

Meanwhile Brane reveals himself to be evil with the knight king being good trying to stop him. This gives Tirion something to do to try to stop him. Maybe even littletoe could stay alive and contribute.

If it is an accident that would lower the stakes of the confrontation. If wildfire gets set off because Drogon was burning some of KL the argument boils down to "I only wanted a smaller number to perish in the fires of my killer dragon"

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is an accident that would lower the stakes of the confrontation. If wildfire gets set off because Drogon was burning some of KL the argument boils down to "I only wanted a smaller number to perish in the fires of my killer dragon"

The accident would be the start. Then it is easy to go down the road of:

"You burned all those people"
"It was an accident"
"So you are going to stand down and apologise?"
"...no, actually fuck those guys"

It just provides a trigger event to get things started. Like a bell ringing but not completely amatuerish.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The end result would have been the same but it makes much more sense as a catalyst than Daenerys simply choosing to wild out for no reason once the surrender had been issued.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

....You're doing this on purpose, right?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

www.goodreads.com

Circe

And unlike Cersei/Circe/Ser Zee in GoT it sticks the landing

This. Miller fucking rocks. Song of achilles is awesome too